What are you playing?

12 hours ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

*Soon after the call was ushered, a fiery pentagram appears on the ground and the figure of the Fuwa's chief heretic materializes before Orakana Newbie*

pffftt :leecher:

Another example of a highly rated OELVN that feels like the "real thing" is Lucid9. And if you're not afraid of otome, Cinderella Phenomenon is... Well, quite phenomenal. Both are free.

For something more unique, you could try CUPID (free) or Analogue: A Hate Story (cheap on Steam). Also, if you didn't play Doki Doki Literature Club, while that game turned into a meme, there's much more to it than just that.

Ohoo ~ Got it. 

I think I go to Lucid9 First,  at a glance, it's seems common Japan-style VN but since this OELVN, I hope something unique come up. 

I can deal with otome but It's very rare for me want to finished it (yeah, y'know, like something wrong for male player play otome for conquest male hero(ine) . ) (I can't say much since I enjoy play yuri  :leecher:)  well, if it's something really good, I would finished it immediately. 

and wow, I think I will pass for CUPID, I think I can't stand for that kind of unique (Unfortunately, this far most of my VNs are Japanese-Style, so I doubt can enjoy that. )  

Well, Analougue : a hate story,  Korean huh ? interesting, Since you recommend That, I think I would try it,  Let's see what I got from korean short OELVN. 

Aaaand, DDLC ??? thanks, but already finished this fuckin Unique VN. ahh... just monika :notlikemiya:

You already saw my Love Ribbon review, but I have a lot more reviews and recommendations on my blog (link in my signature). You can always check it out if you're looking for an OELVN to play - one upside of those is that many of them are free, without feeling like junky amateur games. And they don't take two months to finish. ;p

ohoo Roger, Glad to hear that, without hesitation I would. :Chocola:

16 minutes ago, Orakana Newbie said:

Well, Analougue : a hate story,  Korean huh ? interesting, Since you recommend That, I think I would try it,  Let's see what I got from korean short OELVN. 

It's not really Korean - it's Korea-themes I guess, but the actual author is Christine Love, American writer and one of the earliest "serious" authors of OELVNs. Her stuff is pretty unique, I hope devote a whole month to her VNs on the blog somewhere in the summer. :)

Also, I won't push you too much into reading CUPID, but it's a really great piece of horror. Trying new things in sometimes worth it. :>

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

5 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Also, I won't push you too much into reading CUPID, but it's a really great piece of horror. Trying new things in sometimes worth it. :>

Hmmm, yeah, if you say so, I would try it at least (it's free tho :D

9 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

Her stuff is pretty unique, I hope devote a whole month to her VNs on the blog somewhere in the summer. :)

I look forward for it ~ :sachi:

11 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Alright, finished Kikokugai, and man, I loved it. The setting was really cool, the writing was fantastic, and the art in the remake is just... :Chocola:

So after reading your comment I obtained Kikokugai, I think i'll read it next to fill the huge gaping hole left by Muv Luv Alternative...

Right now I feel empty and detached, not knowing what to do after finishing MLA. Such impact, a real mixture of emotions at the end.

MLA Ending Spoilers:

A bit of interneting reveals quite a lot of conflicting opinions on the ending, but for me I absolutely loved it although it was chest numbingly painful, and I believe Kasumi remembers everything, even if Takeru doesn't.

Finally finished Aioshiro and damn that was a wonderful time! I really loved it!

Osa is definitely in my top ten protags list now. I think I'm going to play Starlight Vega next.

@Trickay Hey congratulations on finishing Muv Luv. Yeah I thought the ending was pretty amazing

Spoiler

Especially the final fight damn that was so intense and sad. And yeah Kasumi remembers that's why she's crying in the end

Edited by Ranzo

Chapter 2 of Himawari completed....

Spoiler

That was probably the most impactful scene I've ever read. Certainly the most impactful death scene.....

.... and planet Earth in that CG was ........ beautiful.

Wow that was fast; I've just completed Hoshi Memo: Wish Upon A Shooting Star, despite having only completed Chimami's route just yesterday. Anyways, my thoughts on it

Personally I don't feel that this vn is particularly spectacular or mind blowing, but I quite liked the lighthearted atmosphere of the game. While there may not be much plot development or character development, the atmosphere more than makes up for it. I didn't quite like Mare's route because it only extends a bit from Yume's route, and Isuzu's route because it was rather bland, but hopefully this will improve on the Eternal Heart fandisc. Hoping the translation for Eternal Heart comes soon *fingers crossed* 

13 minutes ago, PiggiesGoMoo said:

I am about to start reading Subahibi, and am a bit nervous lol

Lmao I started reading subahibi a few months ago but even now I'm still not done with Down the Rabbit Hole. I'm kind of scared to proceed to the Insects arc, which I heard is where the real deal starts (and which is why I kept stalling it :/ ).

Edited by wei123

8 hours ago, Trickay said:

Right now I feel empty and detached, not knowing what to do after finishing MLA. Such impact, a real mixture of emotions at the end.

MLA Ending Spoilers:

Hide contents

A bit of interneting reveals quite a lot of conflicting opinions on the ending, but for me I absolutely loved it although it was chest numbingly painful, and I believe Kasumi remembers everything, even if Takeru doesn't.

Yeah, I also don't dislike the ending, despite the other people's opinions on it.

Spoiler

It's kind of hard to accept this ending, considering how bittersweet it is, but at the same time it's a very fitting ending for Alternative. And Kasumi definitely remembers. I think, it's pretty obvious from how she behaved in that scene.

Also, btw, there's a common interpretation that Takeru from Alternative is dead in the end, and that Takeru from epilogue is essentially a different person. If we assume that as truth, than the ending becomes even more bittersweet.

44 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Yeah, I also don't dislike the ending, despite the other people's opinions on it.

Hide contents

It's kind of hard to accept this ending, considering how bittersweet it is, but at the same time it's a very fitting ending for Alternative. And Kasumi definitely remembers. I think, it's pretty obvious from how she behaved in that scene.

Also, btw, there's a common interpretation that Takeru from Alternative is dead in the end, and that Takeru from epilogue is essentially a different person. If we assume that as truth, than the ending becomes even more bittersweet.

I know what you mean, but you're right and I agree it fits the series.

I also agree with you that Kasumi remembers, I wonder if so many that doubt this read the Fan-TL? I also read that idea about the Takeru we went on a journey with being dead and the epilogue Takeru being a different version. But even so the tears when meeting them all suggests he may have locked away latent memories? 

Thank you for the last week of bouncing progress and ideas about Dreamysyu, it's been an lovely experience. Also many thanks for double spoiler tagging when I was guessing what the first 'all ages' edited scene would be, oh how wrong I was!

I'm a bit lost as to what to read next, I don't think anything will be as enjoyable as the end of MLA was. I have Kikokugai, Chaos Head, Memorys Dogma and Grisaia ready to read to choose from... but I think I'll go along with Dergonu's recommendation, besides I could probably do with reading something short after so heavily investing all my free time into MLA post Chapter 7.

To be honest I think I would really like to look for a VN with multiple bad ends, have a bit of a challenge read. I loved FSN for that.

Edited by Trickay
Typos

30 minutes ago, Trickay said:

I know what you mean, but you're right and I agree it fits the series.

Hide contents

I also agree with you that Kasumi remembers, I wonder if so many that doubt this read the Fan-TL? I also read that idea about the Takeru we went on a journey with being dead and the epilogue Takeru being a different version. But even so the tears when meeting them all suggests he may have locked away latent memories? 

Thank you for the last week of bouncing progress and ideas about Dreamysyu, it's been an lovely experience. Also many thanks for double spoiler tagging when I was guessing what the first 'all ages' edited scene would be, oh how wrong I was!

Hmm, I also read the fan-tl'ed version, so I don't think this is important.

Spoiler

It looks like he still remembers everything deep inside, but at the same time, the ending suggested that these memories are probably never going to resurface. So we could say that these memories belong to a different person, and they don't really matter to Takeru of that time. But, well, it's already a matter of interpretation. The ending is pretty open, so, unless a proper sequel gets announced at some point, we'll probably never know what exactly happened there. As for the sequel, it looks like the developers were always open to the possibility of making one, but it's already been more than 10 years since Alternative was released, so it looks like we'll never get it. Though, to be honest, I'd like to see what exactly happened in the Alternative timeline after the events described in Alternative, I don't think that another game with Takeru as protagonist would work.

Edit. Oh, and I forgot to mention that there is also this game. It continues right after the ending to Alternative, and it's much lighter in nature, but, apparently, the developers said that it's not canon.

Edited by Dreamysyu

3 hours ago, Trickay said:

Reveal hidden contents

My take on it is that Alternative Takeru did not actually die, but rather, he simply just ceased to exist (since he wasn't from that world in the first place).After that, his memories simply transferred to Final Extra Takeru. One thing I still don't get though is how Kasumi exists in the Final Extra world, since her existence stemmed from Alternative III, which only occurs in the Unlimited/Alternative world. According to the Muv Luv wikia, Kasumi still exists in the Alternative world so she couldn't simply just transfer to the Final Extra world.

3 hours ago, Trickay said:

To be honest I think I would really like to look for a VN with multiple bad ends, have a bit of a challenge read. I loved FSN for that.

You can try Remember 11. It may not have as many bad ends as FSN (which has 40, smh), but the thing is that you will need to read the bad ends to understand the full story, unlike FSN where some are forgettable. 

3 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Reveal hidden contents

Edit. Oh, and I forgot to mention that there is also this game. It continues right after the ending to Alternative, and it's much lighter in nature, but, apparently, the developers said that it's not canon.

But the Muv Luv wikia says Altered Fable is canon though. 

Edited by wei123

The thing about wikia is that I have no idea about where it took the information from.

Spoiler
3 minutes ago, wei123 said:

But the Muv Luv wikia says Altered Fable is canon though. 

I'm sure I read about it not being canon somewhere, but, to be honest, it doesn't even matter at this point. It's not like I believe in canons anyway. ^_^

5 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Hmm, I also read the fan-tl'ed version, so I don't think this is important.

Hide contents

It looks like he still remembers everything deep inside, but at the same time, the ending suggested that these memories are probably never going to resurface. So we could say that these memories belong to a different person, and they don't really matter to Takeru of that time. But, well, it's already a matter of interpretation. The ending is pretty open, so, unless a proper sequel gets announced at some point, we'll probably never know what exactly happened there. As for the sequel, it looks like the developers were always open to the possibility of making one, but it's already been more than 10 years since Alternative was released, so it looks like we'll never get it. Though, to be honest, I'd like to see what exactly happened in the Alternative timeline after the events described in Alternative, I don't think that another game with Takeru as protagonist would work.

Yeah i deffinately agree with you there Dreamysyu. Maybe given the million dollar kickstarter and western success a sequel could appear sometime, but like you said in the

Alternative timeline. That said only Kasumi and Yuuko would be there, though Yuuko was certainly was one of my favourite characters so it could work maybe. Age would probably be better off having the BETA arrive in the Extra universe to use all the same characters again, the plot could revolve around Takeru accessing latent memories and returning to Alternative Yuuko for TSF specifications.

5 hours ago, wei123 said:

Hide contents

My take on it is that Alternative Takeru did not actually die, but rather, he simply just ceased to exist (since he wasn't from that world in the first place). After that, his memories simply transferred to Final Extra Takeru.

You can try Remember 11. It may not have as many bad ends as FSN (which has 40, smh), but the thing is that you will need to read the bad ends to understand the full story, unlike FSN where some are forgettable. 

I'll look into Remember 11 wei123, thanks. Couldn't help but notice your footer, has my spamming of this thread with OMG MLA comments rekindled your interest? :)

Finally got around to finishing Marie's route in Dies irae and...it was a good enough ending: the fights were really good, Junichi Suwabe's performance as Reinhardt was excellent and really helps in establishing why the character is regarded as such a memorable villain and the ending hit all the right (even if somewhat expected) notes to be a good enough conclusion to the route's story. Played a bit of the after story too and so far it's pretty amusing considering whose POV we're starting with, even if I'm pretty sure I know how this is going to end.

I think after I finish the after story I'll get to finishing Sorami's route in Tokyo Babel before coming back and tackling Rea's route. Not sure what else there is left to focus on aside from Rea herself (though we have covered quite a bit about her already over the course of the game, so...) and that one hanging question at the end though which while I'm curious I don't see how the answer could have any effect on the story considering there doesn't seem to be any hints of this in any of the flashback material. Though I am hoping to see the following:

Spoiler

1) Actual  fight between Shirou and Bei (on equal terms) with a satisfying conclusion

2) What darkly funny death is Rusalka going to get in this route? In Kei's she gets used as a club by Schreiber before getting an off screen death that totally needed a Wilhelm scream and in Marie's route everyone knows about her impending death except her and her attempts to get Schreiber to help her backfire hilariously.

3) More Ren and Shirou bromance

Man, what a party pooper. I find out Tsujidou-san no Jun'ai Road has been translated, a VN I had left for dead a long time ago, I get it and manage to get it to work... to then actually check a couple reviews and find out the MC is some sort of wet blanket, passive MC with no common sense whatsoever. Can anyone who has played it confirm or deny this? Cuz it's rather heartbreaking to find out (but better to find out now than some hours into the game).

2 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

Man, what a party pooper. I find out Tsujidou-san no Jun'ai Road has been translated, a VN I had left for dead a long time ago, I get it and manage to get it to work... to then actually check a couple reviews and find out the MC is some sort of wet blanket, passive MC with no common sense whatsoever. Can anyone who has played it confirm or deny this? Cuz it's rather heartbreaking to find out (but better to find out now than some hours into the game).

I've played the game (and most of the FD) and I didn't think so regarding Hiroshi, the closest I can say the MC gets to that is in Maki's route though the story does try to justify it. Admittedly the fact that Hiroshi is supposed to be "normal" compared to most of the cast can make him a bit dull on his own, but I would say he makes a good enough straight man to the more over the top heroines. Here's my review for the game:

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogspot.com/2014/03/import-games-for-adults-tsujidou-san-no.html

10 hours ago, Trickay said:

I'll look into Remember 11 wei123, thanks. Couldn't help but notice your footer, has my spamming of this thread with OMG MLA comments rekindled your interest? :)

Well I was going to wait until the release of Photonmelodies to read Altered Fable since the existing translation patch only covers 3 routes but yeah I guess all the Muv Luv talk here just triggered my PTSD all over again

Edited by wei123

6 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

He is a bit of one yeah that's kind of why I stalled on it as well.  That and the sister.:reeee:

6 hours ago, BookwormOtaku said:

I've played the game (and most of the FD) and I didn't think so regarding Hiroshi, the closest I can say the MC gets to that is in Maki's route though the story does try to justify it. Admittedly the fact that Hiroshi is supposed to be "normal" compared to most of the cast can make him a bit dull on his own, but I would say he makes a good enough straight man to the more over the top heroines. Here's my review for the game:

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogspot.com/2014/03/import-games-for-adults-tsujidou-san-no.html

Ah, I see. I had actually found your review while doing Google fu, which added to the confusion with the MC and all.

I'll probably give it a shot, then, if anything out of trust in you and Minato Soft, and for fairness sake.

@Ranzo Hope I don't throw my mouse to the screen in frustration, as I'm somewhat picky with MCs (really, who isn't). :Teeku:

You have me scared with mentioning the sister, though. I'm already generally unconvinced by incest, so...

Edited by Jun Inoue

I was going through some short yuri EOLVNs that were getting amassed in my "to-read" folder lately and finally got to play Butterfly Soup, a small VN that got a weird amount of mainstream attention... And while it's not a masterpiece, I can see while people noticed it. It's a pretty simple slice-of-life story with mandatory LGBT themes, but really managed to make it all charming and fun to read and the message about the challenges of growing up felt very much universal. Plus, it had this line:

Spoiler

bfs_1_by_szafalesiaka-dc79b3j.png

bfs_2_by_szafalesiaka-dc79b41.png

I just wish sites like Kotaku would give some attention to the VN dev scene more often than once in every two years or so, there are so many better games that never get even fraction of the exposure Butterfly Soup got. :s

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

So I'm at episode 9 of MLA, and I think it deserves to pause for a minute and appreciate how amazing the wordbuilding is and how much care for detail they poured into it. And I'm not only referring to the technical details (leaving aside the quantum bullshit, that is :makina:), which of course are important, but in my opinion less so than the true gem that is the society it builds. It's so damn realistic that it legit scares me. In the spoiler I'm going to elaborate on this a little. It's not going to contain major spoilers, but if you prefer reading MLA totally blind then it's probably for the best if you avoided it.

Spoiler

Ok, let's start with our own real world. In a world so culturally diverse, we had to learn the hard way that morality is far from objective. Every culture on earth, in every period of time, has a moral code ingrained in the collective mind that provides them with a sense of right or wrong, and different cultures have different codes. There are no absolutes. Thus we have to accept that, as much as we want to believe otherwise, our sense of rightness is not intrinsically superior to that of other people. 

Ok, that's for morality. Then we have ethics. Ethics attempts to build a code of conduct based on more objective criteria and upon agreement, and amongst the vast amount of criteria that are taken into account, probably the most important one is the common good, that is, the well-being of a majority takes precedence over the well-being of a minority. In our world that is of course not always the case. While the common good criteria is still really important, there are some individual rights that we consider unquestionable. For example, while human experimentation in medicine most certainly would benefit a great majority, however our current ethical code doesn't allow us to trespass the individual rights to life and "freedom". So there's this kind of balance, so to speak... which is actually very fragile and in a dire situation like war is the first thing that goes out the window. Not only that, but people usually ACCEPT that it has to be that way, giving birth to a new ethical code, even though their moral code cannot change in such a short period of time. That's not to say that they won't feel conflicted about it. Of course they will. And that's also not to say that all people will easily come to terms with it. They won't, hence the multiple methods of coaxing that originated during our history and MLA so beautifully displays, such as:

-Nationalism. It's been shown how easy it is to spur a sense of belonging to a group and make the members feel superior with respect to those who don't belong. This is easily exploitable to justify horrifying acts that a priori would seem unthinkable. In fact, it's my belief that every epic narrative ever employs this tactic to move the reader, including of course Muv Luv.

-Comradeship. Which is actually what is left from the previous point when the horrors of war break your flimsy heroic and patriotic ideals. As captain Isumi so wisely said, when you are face to face with death all you can think about is to protect your own life and the lives of your comrades in arms, with whom you overcame so many hardships. I'm fortunately no war vet, but I can totally see that being the case. That's why it's so important in the military to foster a sense of camaraderie.

-Fear and hatred. You fear what you cannot comprehend, and you are prone to hate what you fear. That's how we humans work, and again it's so easy to redirect that fear and hatred to the enemy and convince soldiers to risk their lives.

So yeah. The social behaviour in MLA is not original because it doesn't need to be. It's instead a really accurate picture of our history and ourselves.

Edited by Thyndd