What are you playing?

12 hours ago, wei123 said:

You should enjoy the respite you have now because things start to get more intense in episode 7. :sachi:

You're right Thyndd, I really appreciate the lengths members go on here with spoiler tags, thank you all. How're you enjoying the bit you're on? 

Totally agree with wei123 things are indeed tense now. I completely understand why you were all discussing censorship earlier, luckily for me I got a pretty corrupt imagination so that scene was super impactful...

Scene question / spoilers.

I'm guessing all they did was crop / zoom on Sumika's face for steam version? Did they go as far as limb removal? Only ask given the gore of Marimo's death. 

Not that it matters, even censored I was not expecting that. Christ I even held my face in my hand in utter disbelieve. Such impact.

1 hour ago, Trickay said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm guessing all they did was crop / zoom on Sumika's face for steam version? Did they go as far as limb removal? Only ask given the gore of Marimo's death. 

Not that it matters, even censored I was not expecting that. Christ I even held my face in my hand in utter disbelieve. Such impact.

From what I heard, the Steam version only censored the genitals. And yes, that's arguably the most impactful scene in the game. As if the Yokohoma Base incident, Operation 21st and Defense of Yokohoma Base weren't enough to tear us apart , age decided to rub salt into our wounds. And our eyes.

Looks like you're almost at Operation Ouka. Have fun! :maple:

Edited by wei123

2 hours ago, Trickay said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I looked up youtube walkthroughs for both versions and compared this scene there, and it looks like they actually completely redrew the CGs for it in the Steam versions. The imagery in the 18+ is way more disturbing and sexual, but it looks like they still didn't show the actual dismemberment. :vinty:

Muv-Luv Alternative heavy spoilers, warning:

Spoiler

Welp, there goes Marimo-chan, poor thing. That was totally unexpected dude... and pretty fucked up, as fucked up it is the employment of drugs to control the soldiers on the battle field. Damn, things sure took a very dark turn.

Now what is running through my mind is the fact that Takeru had PTSD. What was the traumatic incident that caused it? I don't think it was anything like the first attack of the BETA during the previous timeline, when he fainted. That wouldn't be enough. I'm guessing something big happened after the ending of Unlimited that he can't remember. We'll see.

48 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Reveal hidden contents

Welp, there goes Marimo-chan, poor thing. That was totally unexpected dude... and pretty fucked up, as fucked up it is the employment of drugs to control the soldiers on the battle field. Damn, things sure took a very dark turn.

Now what is running through my mind is the fact that Takeru had PTSD. What was the traumatic incident that caused it? I don't think it was anything like the first attack of the BETA during the previous timeline, when he fainted. That wouldn't be enough. I'm guessing something big happened after the ending of Unlimited that he can't remember. We'll see.

Welcome to our club. :sachi:

Also,

Spoiler
On 3/20/2018 at 12:47 AM, Dreamysyu said:

Oh, yeah... I literally couldn't sleep at night after I got to that scene. :yumiko:

And it's one of the rare cases of a jumpscare done right.

Edited by Dreamysyu

35 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Hide contents

:sachi:

51 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Hide contents

Ah yep we were all waiting for you to get to that scene. Now here is when the shit really starts going down.

Spoiler

But yeah I remember just how incredibly shocked I was when it happened. No build up just pure shock and horror.

Edited by Ranzo

16 minutes ago, wei123 said:

:sachi:

Oh yeah, thanks... that's music to my ears :michiru:

4 minutes ago, Ranzo said:

Ah yep we were all waiting for you to get to that scene. Now here is when the shit really starts going down.

53 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Welcome to our club. :sachi:

Also,

Reveal hidden contents

It's a really impactful scene, no doubt about it, but I dunno, it didn't quite make me sick and I don't think I'll have any problems sleeping at night. Perhaps I already became insensitive to this kind of stuff? :notlikemiya: Or perhaps it's just that I did expect something like that to happen. I mean, not precisely THAT, but since everybody talks about how shocking MuvLuv is I assumed some shit like that was coming. Whatever, I'll probably have to swallow my words in the near future, so I'd better say no more :makina:

7 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

It's a really impactful scene, no doubt about it, but I dunno, it didn't quite make me sick and I don't think I'll have any problems sleeping at night. Perhaps I already became insensitive to this kind of stuff? :notlikemiya: Or perhaps it's just that I did expect something like that to happen. I mean, not precisely THAT, but since everybody talks about how shocking MuvLuv is I assumed some shit like that was coming. Whatever, I'll probably have to swallow my words in the near future, so I'd better say no more :makina:

Spoiler

Well, sorry if we spoiled you. :vinty: Yeah, that's why it's usually better go completely blind in most VNs. In case of MuvLuv, however, most people would drop it at Extra, so some light spoiling is, sadly, necessary to make people interested.

I personally didn't expect at all that something like that was going to happen, that's why the impact was so high. Most of scenes before that more or less suggested that people don't die in this series. Than this scene that came absolutely out of nowhere, with its grotesque imagery and completely messed up things that follow right after that. Well, I guess, it's all depends on the individual.

2 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:
  Hide contents

Well, sorry if we spoiled you. :vinty: Yeah, that's why it's usually better go completely blind in most VNs. In case of MuvLuv, however, most people would drop it at Extra, so some light spoiling is, sadly, necessary to make people interested.

I personally didn't expect at all that something like that was going to happen, that's why the impact was so high. Most of scenes before that more or less suggested that people don't die in this series. Than this scene that came absolutely out of nowhere, with its grotesque imagery and completely messed up things that follow right after that. Well, I guess, it's all depends on the individual.

Oh, no no, don't you guys worry, that's no more of a spoiler than simply knowing what genre I am reading. And sure enough, I would have never made it to Alternative if I thought everything was like Extra, and so far I'm really enjoying the journey, so I have to thank you for that. You especially, Dreamy, being the one who convinced me to give it a try.

Chapter 2 of Himawari.....

Spoiler

I'm now convinced that a spacestation can be a special place in hell. The game is really doing quite the job of painting this spacestation as an incredibly lonely place.

Aqua and the others are little more than prisoners in an ice cold prison in orbit.

Sorry for the double post .... but chapter 2 of Himawari just turned into a mind screw.....

Spoiler

I was jokingly thinking "he's a bit of a mad scientist", but really thought nothing of it......

... even though he has fake feelings for his adopted daughter.....

.... then cue Souichirou's subtle heel turn. And you think little by little on what it means, and it gets more and more sinister, and it starts to really hit you...

..... then you remember all the forshadowing going on throughout the entire chapter. Turns out Aqua was absolutely right when "she wasn't acting herself".... inherited memories man....

.... and apparently Aries knew what was going on, when she said earlier "you can replace her"....

:gasp:

Not a VN, but I'm trying to get through The Evil Within 2. A huge improvement over the first one, but scarier, so I'm having a hard time progressing ;; (i don't wanna leave this relatively safe alleyway and go into the street)

long Live the Queen. Not as fun as everyone made it out to be :/ 

Edited by milkteebaby

Currently play Katawa Shoujo. and yeah, This very cool . For my first OELVN I high rated for this one. And because of this, I interested for Try another OELVN ( I think I need some recommendation) . I'm not really know about OELVN (and, hey, I just started it for try it this week ) and yeah, Really, We can't judge VN just from their arts/Graphic. ( Deep into my heart, I has little dream, katawa shoujo can get Japanese Voice Acting :leecher:)

Then, I starting for learn Ren'py. my programming is good enough for starting debut. but I just has single problem for starting my own VN... :  My drawing is fckin bad :wahaha:

2 hours ago, Orakana Newbie said:

Currently play Katawa Shoujo. and yeah, This very cool . For my first OELVN I high rated for this one. And because of this, I interested for Try another OELVN ( I think I need some recommendation) . I'm not really know about OELVN (and, hey, I just started it for try it this week ) and yeah, Really, We can't judge VN just from their arts/Graphic. ( Deep into my heart, I has little dream, katawa shoujo can get Japanese Voice Acting :leecher:)

Then, I starting for learn Ren'py. my programming is good enough for starting debut. but I just has single problem for starting my own VN... :  My drawing is fckin bad :wahaha:

Katawa was one of (if not) the first VNs I played, and to this day I still think it's overall pretty solid, albeit not spectacular. It receives a lot of unjustified hatred though for being a OELVN and a very popular one at that, but I think the fact still remains that its quality is above average. Have fun with it. Which route are you at atm and which is your favorite from what you've already read? 

As for another good OELVN, I think it's warranted to summon @Plk_Lesiak, our expert on the topic :sachi:

Over here I'm still on the wild ride of MuvLuv Alternative, growing increasingly convinced that this VN is trying to kill me.

Spoiler

Episode 7 was depressing as fuck. It's not the first isekai I've experienced where the new world is hell and the MC goes mad (hell, look at Re:Zero for a recent example), but what in my opinion MuvLuv does brilliantly is bringing a feeling of shame and self-loathing that is totally justifiable, and at the same time you feel conflicted because you know it's definitely not fair. Well, another way to put it is to say that it's really easy to get in Takeru's shoes. And those are shoes you never want to get in :makina: But ok, Episode 7 done and the last glimmer of hope remaining is Sumika, who really grew on me this time around. HA! OK BOIS, IT'S TIME, LET'S BRING THE BODY HORROR!! 

Fuck dude... poor Sumika...

10 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Over here I'm still on the wild ride of MuvLuv Alternative, growing increasingly convinced that this VN is trying to kill me.

Hide contents

Episode 7 was depressing as fuck. It's not the first isekai I've experienced where the new world is hell and the MC goes mad (hell, look at Re:Zero for a recent example), but what in my opinion MuvLuv does brilliantly is bringing a feeling of shame and self-loathing that is totally justifiable, and at the same time you feel conflicted because you know it's definitely not fair. Well, another way to put it is to say that it's really easy to get in Takeru's shoes. And those are shoes you never want to get in :makina: But ok, Episode 7 done and the last glimmer of hope remaining is Sumika, who really grew on me this time around. HA! OK BOIS, IT'S TIME, LET'S BRING THE BODY HORROR!! 

In my oponion, Episode 7 was the major turning point in MLA. Not only does it show you the horrible consequences of running away from your problems, it also shows you how unprepared Takeru was . Before the CHOMP incident, I had thought Takeru was already quite well prepared to take on the BETA but episode 7 made me realise how much room he had to improve on (i.e his mental strength).

P.S If you thought Episode 7 was shocking enough, wait till you reach Episode 9.

3 hours ago, Orakana Newbie said:

Katawa Shoujo was a good experience for me. Rin's one of my favorite VN heroines. I'd love it if she was voiced. Though Rin does go into total "wall of text" mode at times, voicing that might be hard :wahaha:

3 hours ago, Thyndd said:

Katawa was one of (if not) the first VNs I played, and to this day I still think it's overall pretty solid, albeit not spectacular. It receives a lot of unjustified hatred though for being a OELVN and a very popular one at that, but I think the fact still remains that its quality is above average. Have fun with it. Which route are you at atm and which is your favorite from what you've already read? 

As for another good OELVN, I think it's warranted to summon @Plk_Lesiak, our expert on the topic :sachi:

Hide contents

Firstly many many thanks to the mod that removed my post, I was so worried about Tyhndd reading that, but after four hours sleep I've release that all I needed to do was hold control... doh!

I was agreeing with Dreamysyu before saying that I also like to avoid as much knowledge of a VN as possible. That's likely to be why both scenes were very impactful for me, with both playing on my mind all the following day or two at work, but the first affecting my sleep a little. Though the comment about salt in the eyes for the second one was perfect, censored or not!

3 hours ago, wei123 said:

In my oponion, Episode 7 was the major turning point in MLA. Not only does it show you the horrible consequences of running away from your problems, it also shows you how unprepared Takeru was . Before the CHOMP incident, I had thought Takeru was already quite well prepared to take on the BETA but episode 7 made me realise how much room he had to improve on (i.e his mental strength).

P.S If you thought Episode 7 was shocking enough, wait till you reach Episode 9.

I couldn't agree more wei123, the so much consequence, I especially liked the bit with Yuuko-sensei

in the parallel world at the nuclear reactor where the music starts playing and you scream 'I love her' at the top of your lungs, that really got me pumped up!

Wei123 I probably have like 30 minutes to an hour left of reading, but I was too tired to continue. Don't read Thyndd, chapter 10 chat in here:

I'm in the main hall of original hive, low on ammo, all support is dead and only a few S-11's left. Everyone is alive but the outlook doesn't look so good from here, plus I'm sure the main chamber will hold the big twist; which I'm expecting to be Takeru related after Sumika broke down on him on the hill after the Yokohama base attack. Damn that chapter 9 was brutal also, dem feels.

I'm excited to think that I can finally start hitting the forums once I've finished reading MLA. I cannot wait for that as it's something I tend to avoid, to avoid spoiling myself as Dreamysyu suggested. :) 

Thank you all so much for letting me bounce the shock of that scene around here, you're a great crowd so I intend to hang about on here more often! :D

Edited by Trickay
Once again I failed to spoiler text correctly...

36 minutes ago, Trickay said:

Firstly many many thanks to the mod that removed my post, I was so worried about Tyhndd reading that, but after four hours sleep I've release that all I needed to do was hold control... doh!

I was agreeing with Dreamysyu before saying that I also like to avoid as much knowledge of a VN as possible. That's likely to be why both scenes were very impactful for me, with both playing on my mind all the following day or two at work, but the first affecting my sleep a little. Though the comment about salt in the eyes for the second one was perfect, censored or not!

I couldn't agree more wei123, the so much consequence, I especially liked the bit with Yuuko-sensei

Reveal hidden contents

in the parallel world at the nuclear reactor where the music starts playing and you scream 'I love her' at the top of your lungs, that really got me pumped up!

Wei123 I probably have like 30 minutes to an hour left of reading, but I was too tired to continue. Don't read Thyndd, chapter 10 chat in here:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm in the main hall of original hive, low on ammo, all support is dead and only a few S-11's left. Everyone is alive but the outlook doesn't look so good from here, plus I'm sure the main chamber will hold the big twist; which I'm expecting to be Takeru related after Sumika broke down on him on the hill after the Yokohama base attack. Damn that chapter 9 was brutal also, dem feels.

I'm excited to think that I can finally start hitting the forums once I've finished reading MLA. I cannot wait for that as it's something I tend to avoid, to avoid spoiling myself as Dreamysyu suggested. :) 

Thank you all so much for letting me bounce the shock of that scene around here, you're a great crowd so I intend to hang about on here more often! :D

36 minutes ago, Trickay said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

Actually you still have the epilogue which should take you an additional 30 minute,in addition to the hour or so in the final showdown in Episode 10. Anyways,

Yeah the main chamber does reveal some truly shocking facts. Not only that, it's also where the most emotional scene in the entirety of the game takes place. I was holding back my emotions before that point, but after getting to the main chamber, I just couldn't stop my tears from flowing out (even the lighthearted epilogue that comes after that could do little to stop my tears). Even now, all the feels come back to me after watching this video (Only open this spoiler after finishing everything).

Edited by wei123

10 hours ago, Orakana Newbie said:

7 hours ago, Thyndd said:

*Soon after the call was ushered, a fiery pentagram appears on the ground and the figure of the Fuwa's chief heretic materializes before Orakana Newbie*

I was summoned, so I've answered to spread the Unholy Cult of OELVN! To be honest though, it's hard to recommend something on the same level as Katawa Shoujo, it most likely is the best Western VN to date - but it's also a very direct imitation of Japanese formula. Another example of a highly rated OELVN that feels like the "real thing" is Lucid9. And if you're not afraid of otome, Cinderella Phenomenon is... Well, quite phenomenal. Both are free.

For something more unique, you could try CUPID (free) or Analogue: A Hate Story (cheap on Steam). Also, if you didn't play Doki Doki Literature Club, while that game turned into a meme, there's much more to it than just that.

You already saw my Love Ribbon review, but I have a lot more reviews and recommendations on my blog (link in my signature). You can always check it out if you're looking for an OELVN to play - one upside of those is that many of them are free, without feeling like junky amateur games. And they don't take two months to finish. ;p

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

For Hoshi Memo, I'm now at the secret heroine's route. I'm finally starting to enjoy this a bit more now.

As for Umineko, I've just finished episode 2 and can already see some interesting Higurashi references.

Screenshot_20180318-193027.pngScreenshot_20180318-193032.png

Screenshot_20180327-222525.pngScreenshot_20180327-221609.png

These references aside, I have a feeling things will start to get a lot more interesting in episode 3 (will probably start on it tomorrow, fingers crossed).

Edited by wei123

Alright, finished Kikokugai, and man, I loved it. The setting was really cool, the writing was fantastic, and the art in the remake is just... :Chocola:

This made me want to check out more Nitroplus titles, specifically Tokyo Necro. Looked up some CGs from it, and oh boy, it looks great. So yeah, the moment I finish one game on my backlog, I add another. RIP

If my backlog kills me, I will blame you @Zenophilious (/ω\)