What are you playing?

Some of my thoughts on Lucy....

I noticed that humanities' values were not any different then they are today (remember, this game takes place in 2050, and they wern't any different 15 years after that either). But I think when OUR year 2050 rolls around, our values might have shifted somewhat. I think it's inevitable, I think we are due for such a thing, I'll even see it's needed (otherwise corporate power is gonna be insane, and so will climate change, and nothing else will have changed).

In a perfect scenario (or one close to perfect at least), we'd be working side by side with AI. I'd imagine AI would be really good at conflict resolution (Lucy herself tries this often). Take away the "fake news", and take away most of the emotional charge (AI don't have either), and conflict resolution becomes really easy.

I resumed playing Ever17 and finished Sora's route. Now I'm halfway through You's route (they couldn't have chosen a worst name, at least for the english translation, I get confused all the time :notlikemiya:), playing as the Kid. There are some things that are freaking me out.

Spoiler

When Sara first appeared I assumed that she was the 7th life reading in LeMU, and who knows where she was during Tsugumi's and Sora's route. But now it turns out that Coco is the "ghosty" one, so wtf?

Then we have this thing about Takeshi not remembering what year they are in. If I'm not mistaken he already said that in the previous routes. That's weird. I'm wondering if they are gonna pull out something à la Danganronpa 

Spoiler

where the world outside has ended or something like that

4 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

I resumed playing Ever17 and finished Sora's route. Now I'm halfway through You's route (they couldn't have chosen a worst name, at least for the english translation, I get confused all the time :notlikemiya:), playing as the Kid. There are some things that are freaking me out.

:sachi: It's one VN where I love to see the reactions of other players when they read it.

Also, in case you're wondering, there is enough clues in Ever17 to get what's going on. I personally enjoyed trying to put all pieces of the puzzle together myself, but, yeah, I was slightly spoiled before I started. It didn't really break my experience, but I had a clue where to start looking for hints. Or, you know, you can follow the usual path and be completely mindblown at the end. Both approaches work.

Obviously, I am not going to comment on your current ideas.

2 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

Also, in case you're wondering, there is enough clues in Ever17 to get what's going on. I personally enjoyed trying to put all pieces of the puzzle together myself

Oh I'd love to do that, but you see, my long term memory is absolutely atrocious so unless I marathon it or go around writing down the key points I'm bound to forget half of what I read in a couple of days :yumiko: I do try to keep up though, and I will do my best to assemble the pieces and share my theories for the amusement of you all :makina:

4 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Oh I'd love to do that, but you see, my long term memory is absolutely atrocious so unless I marathon it or go around writing down the key points I'm bound to forget half of what I read in a couple of days :yumiko: I do try to keep up though, and I will do my best to assemble the pieces and share my theories for the amusement of you all :makina:

Well, you don't have to go that in-depth. Simply, be attentive and open-minded. It works.

PS. Why am I running out of likes every day nowadays? :notlikemiya:

Currently, I'm reading through Sorcery Jokers and it's been...good, but not great. I've had issues with certain characters and their decisions and the lack of interesting material for long periods of time doesn't help its pacing. That being said, I do enjoy the character interactions a lot and the plot overall has been quite good. I think I'm pretty close to finishing it soon enough, so I'll have to wait to see what I think about Sorcery Jokers overall.

Ok, I haven't even finished You's route yet but I feel the need to address some information that's been revealed. This is gonna be exciting :isla:

Ever17 spoilers:

Spoiler

So it seems that they are in some kind of time loop. Not only because the Kid thinks so, but if I recall correctly something of the sort was mentioned when I finished Tsugumi's route. Ok, so now we've got Higurashi stuff going on in our hands lol.

Now onto my theory: they've been trapped there for 17 years in some way or another. I have no idea why they don't age, but it probably has something to do with that Cure virus. I also have no idea why they don't remember anything. If there really is something "paranormal" or very sci-fi going on there such as time travel, then that could be an explanation, but I'm not sure that's actually the case.

Now, where's my evidence? The dates. You's father disappeared 17 ago, when You was one, right? But according to the info in LeMU's computers, he actually died 34 years ago. If they were trapped in LeMU for 17 years without knowing it, the numbers match (34=17+17). If that's true, then they think they are in 2017, but in fact they'd be in 2034. Wait, but there's also a note in the computer saying that You's mother died 15 years ago, and a note regarding the funeral dated on 02/07/19, which they say correspond to July 19, 2002. Yes, but only in Japanese date format. In German date format that would correspond to July 2, 2019. Guess what? That would also mean that, assuming they are in 2034, You's mother would've still died 15 years ago lol, only that in this case You could've been born and have recent memories of her mother, in contrast with the apparent prior non-sense.

So the dates seem to fit pretty nicely. I could be totally wrong, but even if that's the case, I would like to think that I'm onto something there. Too many coincidences.

Edited by Thyndd

33 minutes ago, Thyndd said:

Ok, I haven't even finished You's route yet but I feel the need to address some information that's been revealed. This is gonna be exciting :isla:

Ever17 spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

So it seems that they are in some kind of time loop. Not only because the Kid thinks so, but if I recall correctly something of the sort was mentioned when I finished Tsugumi's route. Ok, so now we've got Higurashi stuff going on in our hands lol.

Now onto my theory: they've been trapped there for 17 years in some way or another. I have no idea why they don't age, but it probably has something to do with that Cure virus. I also have no idea why they don't remember anything. If there really is something "paranormal" or very sci-fi going on there such as time travel, then that could be an explanation, but I'm not sure that's actually the case.

Now, where's my evidence? The dates. You's father disappeared 17 ago, when You was one, right? But according to the info in LeMU's computers, he actually died 34 years ago. If they were trapped in LeMU for 17 years without knowing it, the numbers match (34=17+17). If that's true, then they think they are in 2017, but in fact they'd be in 2034. Wait, but there's also a note in the computer saying that You's mother died 15 years ago, and a note regarding the funeral dated on 02/07/19, which they say correspond to July 19, 2002. Yes, but only in Japanese date format. In German date format that would correspond to July 2, 2019. Guess what? That would also mean that, assuming they are in 2034, You's mother would've still died 15 years ago lol, only that in this case You could've been born and have recent memories of her mother, in contrast with the apparent prior non-sense.

So the dates seem to fit pretty nicely. I could be totally wrong, but even if that's the case, I would like to think that I'm onto something there. Too many coincidences.

:sachi: I would want you to clarify something about that, but, well, I don't want to accidentally spoil anything, so I'll refrain for now. Not implying whether you are wrong or right. Also, at what part of You's route are you right now?

And are you going to read the bad ends? At least one of them is pretty interesting imo.

1 minute ago, Dreamysyu said:

I would want you to clarify something about that, but, well, I don't want to accidentally spoil anything, so I'll refrain for now. Not implying whether you are wrong or right. Also, at what part of You's route are you right now?

I just read the part where 

Spoiler

Sara reprogrammed Sora's priorities to make her allow them to get the information they need. That information is what I just discussed in my post :wafuu:

5 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

And are you going to read the bad ends? At least one of them is pretty interesting imo.

I probably will. I like to read the bad endings once I get all the good ones though. However, if you consider I'm missing something story-wise then I guess I'd better play them first.

Spoiler

Though come on, calling them "good endings" is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? LOL So far they all have been sad as fuck :notlikemiya:

Also I'll take this opportunity to discuss something that I overlooked in my previous posts:

Spoiler

Sora is a freaking hologram, i.e, she cannot be detected by the infrared sensor, so the life readings in LeMU should be actually 5. There must actually be 2 "ghosts" there to amount to 7 people. 

You's route finished (well, at least the good ending). Man, I need some sleep :yumiko:

Spoiler

So they are freaking clones? That's the only thing that comes to my mind. Sora did talk about some law getting approved in her route I think.

The You waiting outside LeMU is the original You, which was cloned when she was about 17 I guess... but then, did the older You raised her clone as if she were her mother? If that's so, let's try to put the history in chronological order:

-35 years ago older You was born (1999)

-34 years ago (2000), when older You was 1, her father went missing (presumably died of TB)

-When older You was 17 (2016), she was cloned, thus younger You was born. 

-15 years ago (2019), when older You was 20, her mother died.

In the time between 2016 and 2019, older You's mother and younger You coexisted, however, younger You never met older You's mother. It was older You who worked for LeMU, not her mother, that being the reason why the login didn't work.

And on a side note, if all this turns out to be true to a certain degree, my intuiton tells me that the man besides older You whom the Kid didn't recognize is actually older Kid.

But the more I think about it, the less sense it all makes. Younger You supposedly led a normal life, went to school and all, so it's just not possible for her to mistakenly believe that they are in 2017 when in reality they are in 2034, and I keep on insisting on this date because I'd swear that Sora said something about cloning being illegal before 2010, so it shouldn't be possible that the real date was 2017.

EDIT: Hey, but now I realized that the only one who said they are in 2017 was Takeshi. You never said anything about the year, and since those dates in LeMU computers works with both time frames, as I explained in my previous post, it should be possible that You knows the current year is 2034. I'm way too sleepy to think clearly right now, so tomorrow I'll go over it :vinty:

And Sora actually has a physical body, it appears... then I'm guessing that the "ghosts", like Coco in You's route, are just holograms, which would explain why only the Kid could see Coco. Holograms that can kick cans... ha (though perhaps it's only the sound of a can being kicked being reproduced through those headphones).

I'm so confused :notlikemiya:

Now onto Sara. Then I guess I'll go through the bad endings and finally, finally the true route to give some relief to this headache :makina:

PS: Lol the pen scene.

Edited by Thyndd

On 2/19/2018 at 6:07 PM, Kurisu-Chan said:

Replaying Little busters! in order to get the 3 new routes.

just recently finished Yuiko onee-chan's route...man, it still hurts like a train. 

Just finished this route a few minutes ago and wow... I wanted to jump straight into the Haruka route (really wondering how things will go there) but now I feel like I need to take a break and collect myself for a bit... It... Yeah it's rough... 

Ok ma bois, time to get to the true route of Ever17, Finding Nemo Coco! Before that though, I have to elaborate some theories for the record so everyone can laugh at how naive and unimaginative I was :makina: Warning, it's probably gonna be a long read and probably pretty disorganized, as I'm just gonna brainstorm the fuck of out it:

Spoiler

Ok, first of all, there's one hypothesis that I thought had a lot of numbers to be true, but Sara's route kinda threw me off. I figured that the story viewed from Takeshi's perspective and the Kid's were in two different time frames. And yes, I know that Takeshi and the Kid actually met in the prologue, but let me explain.

First we have all the mess with older You and what I presumed was her clone, younger You. I explained that in my previous posts. I reached the conclusion that older You was involved in the first LeMU accident, which is told from Takeshi's perspective. There are two main reasons for this:

a) You's full name. In Takeshi's perspective we are told that it is Yubiseiharukana (I think. Probably I just butchered it :makina:), while in You's route from the Kid's perspective the sei changes to aki. There are two Yous and one is older than the other, thus different time frames, simple, right? Well not quite...

b) The carvings on the back of the statue. In the Kid's time frame he saw Coco carving it, but since she is presumably a hologram it couldn't have happened then. It must have happened during the first LeMU incident, the one in which Coco was trapped in a physical body...

And yes, I do realize that this is non-sense and most likely what the writers want me to think. If LeMU crumbled and sank once, how the hell did they refloat it again while maintaining the same statues? It just seems too farfetched. Not to say the fact that Tsugumi, Takeshi and the Kid himself were also involved in the first incident. I tried to justify the presence of Tsugumi because well, she is immortal and doesn't age, plus she was a little too knowledgeable about the course of events. Like the Kid, whose "premonitions" and presence in the second incident I tried to justify the same way: he is also infected with the Cure virus. I thought it made sense and the hypothesis was becoming stronger the more hints they showed about his superhuman abilities, like his infrared vision. Plus, Tsugumi seemed to react to the Kid in a peculiar manner, different from her attitude to the others. I thought Tsugumi met the Kid at the research facility where both were being investigated as carriers of the Cure virus.

Takeshi was admittedly the roughest of all, since he's the character with the least information revealed, but since he apparently was in both accidents with the same physical appearence, you can already guess where my mind was going.

Now, as I said, Sara's route made me dismiss all this bullcrap, since here it was revealed the reason the Kid was being investigated by Leiblich, and it had nothing to do with the Cure virus. Sure, I still think it's likely that Tsugumi and the Kid had met some time before, but with him not being forever young and most importantly, his sister Sara (because the Kid could've gained immortality when Tsugumi used her blood to fabricate a vaccine for TB), I cannot justify those two different incidents in different time frames. But man, I really wanted for this to have at least some truth to it in some way, because then there's this flashback thing in the prologue thing when the Kid remembers the scene of Sara holding his hand when he sees Coco in the infirmary. And yes, I do realize that's in and on itself contradictory with the points above because that would mean that Kid's story would go first and Takeshi's second (because in Kid's story, when the scene with Sara happened, Coco is an hologram, meaning that the infirmary vision must have been in Takeshi's time frame thus making Kid's story go first) and then the mistery of the carvings remains unexplained.

You will notice that I'm (purposefully) avoiding any kind of supernatural explanation, because I find it just lazy and unexciting. Sure, you could make up two separate "realities", universes or whatever, and perhaps make all the events fit into place somehow, but where's the fun then?

So that leaves us with only one conclusion, or at least the only one that I can came up with: that both perspectives refer to the same time. I just can't keep defending the previous theory, there are just too many inconsistencies. It's impossible, at least in the way I was thinking. But at this point I'm completely at a loss. If they indeed happen in the same time frame, why the changes? Why Coco and Sara have a complementary distribution (at least as a physical body)? :notlikemiya:

Well, you see, I tried as hard as I could, but I think my efforts were for naught. Granted, I've never been a very creative person, but I at least hoped, given the number of clues, to be able to craft some crazy theory. Nope. Sorry for the disappointment :yumiko:

Now let's see to which degree my mind will be blown once I know the truth.

5 hours ago, Thyndd said:

so everyone can laugh at how naive and unimaginative I was 

No, don't worry, it was all pretty interesting to read. :sachi: And now I actually want to read the rest of the Infinity series. Thanks, I guess.

Spoiler
5 hours ago, Thyndd said:

You will notice that I'm (purposefully) avoiding any kind of supernatural explanation

You know, usually it's a pretty natural thing to do. There are simply too many possible supernatural explanations to make sense of them. Admittedly, there is some sci-fi in Ever17.

Enjoy the true route! It's going to be fun. :mare:

And, by the way, what's your opinion on Takeshi's bad end? Or did you decide to skip them in the end?

Edited by Dreamysyu
a bit spoilerish

I just finished Idol Mahou Shoujo Chiruchiru Michuru and I gotta say I'm kind of impressed with the plot twists (though not exactly mind-blowing but still),considering that I had initially thought it was a just for laughs game with Grisaia characters.

I have exams next week so I won't be reading VNs for a while now :unsure: (though I'm planning to continue subahibi and hoshimemo once my exams end).

Edited by wei123