What are you playing?

7 hours ago, Kabu said:

Going to probably reread Little Busters for the EX routes but I do have a question about it. Does it add anything of substantial importance to the main routes? I'm probably going to go through the whole thing anyways as it's been a while and I've forgotten a lot of stuff but I'm just really curious.

I can't say for sure as I haven't read it yet, but I think I heard they were a continuation of the story after Refrain. I'm especially interested in Saya's route since she doesn't even make an appearance in the original.

13 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

Fucking hell, I just finished the normal ending for Chaos;Child and currently I would rate it on par with Steins;Gate. It engaged in such way that I literally skipped a meal, because I didn't want to stop reading and I cried in such a way that hasn't happened since I first started reading visual novels. You know, when you start off with the cream of the crop with your Clannads, MuvLuvs, and Grisaias. Before you have to really shift the shit for anything palatable. 

It was like, "Oh fuck that's right, I'm a human being with emotions!!!" 

Damn I can't wait to have enough money to buy it since I loved Steins;Gate and Steins;gate 0 a looooot!!!!!

8 hours ago, Kabu said:

Going to probably reread Little Busters for the EX routes but I do have a question about it. Does it add anything of substantial importance to the main routes? I'm probably going to go through the whole thing anyways as it's been a while and I've forgotten a lot of stuff but I'm just really curious.

I heard they made some pretty big changes to the second half of the Kud route. Not sure how big exactly or what's different, though.

Finished Dies Irae for good and i think it was excellent, the recommended route order is a perfect crescendo from worst to best route and the side stories sealed the deal for me to put it in my top 10.

It feels to me like the writer wanted to make a hardcore version of Saint Seiya and stumbled into making this whole modern mythology to add depth to it. It would be interesting to see an approach on this series with a even more mythological take (maybe Kajiri Kamui Kagura does that, i don't know).

The biggest negative for me may have been the ideals of the main protagonist, i can't symphatise with the way he thinks at all after reading Shikkoku no Sharnoth.

I wonder, am I the only one starting to read through huge VNs at time when I have very little free time and getting frustrated that I can't make any progress with them? Currently that's me (not) reading Grisaia no Kajitsu and Hakuisei Aijou Izonshou (both are excellent though)...

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

3 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I wonder, am I the only one starting to read through huge VNs at time when I have very little free time and getting frustrated that I can't make any progress with them? Currently that's me (not) reading Grisaia no Kajitsu and Hakuisei Aijou Izonshou (both are excellent though)...

I usually end up reading the common routes pretty casually, and then binging the actual routes. For grisaia I think I took nearly a month for the common route, sometimes less than an hour a day. I binged every main route. I literally, skipped classes, meals, sleep and life.

I have no regrets.

18 minutes ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I do that pretty often, but I don't really have much free time recently. Though it may be a good idea to stick to shorter titles in this situation, because when one VN gets stretched to several months of playtime, it might turn pretty boring by the end.

37 minutes ago, Akshay said:

I usually end up reading the common routes pretty casually, and then binging the actual routes. For grisaia I think I took nearly a month for the common route, sometimes less than an hour a day. I binged every main route. I literally, skipped classes, meals, sleep and life.

I have no regrets.

Hah, I would often do something similar, but ATM I literally don't even have time to lose sleep or skip stuff without generating some kind of disaster. :D Not that it's beneath me to withdraw from real life for three days to finish some huge VN when I'm on vacation or something. :>

And I'm stuck on Grisaia's common route for three weeks now, jumping to short titles from time to time when I get really impatient. I expect to finish by the end of the year...

Edited by Plk_Lesiak

20 minutes ago, Dreamysyu said:

I do that pretty often, but I don't really have much free time recently. Though it may be a good idea to stick to shorter titles in this situation, because when one VN gets stretched to several months of playtime, it might turn pretty boring by the end.

Yeah, but when you don't even have much hope for vacation it's really hard to completely give up on the larger ones. The right time to read through Clannad might be in my next life if I took it that way. ;)

1 hour ago, Plk_Lesiak said:

I pretty much have free time only on weekends so I am normally avoiding big VNs (taking breaks in the middle is very unappealing to me). I make due with anime or short VNs with gameplay. However when I manage to get some time off, I binge VNs like a crazy person. Had two weeks on June - went through all Grisaias and Steins;Gate 0. Had 5 days off last week - read Tokyo Babel. Next is probably the week between Christmas and New Years, I am not sure what I'll read yet. SubaHibi looks great, but maybe I can squeeze in two. Maybe Danganronpa 3? I am looking forward to it already. :wahaha:

Lucky for me, I have plenty of time. Too much time even. I was able to binge 86+ hours in Grisaia in under 2 weeks. I havn't binged that hard on a game since Disgaea 5.

Still playing Wagamama High Spec https://vndb.org/v17823 . I ended up flagging Mihiro's route. I thought she was kinda pushy and clingy at first. I didn't expect her to be this frigging Adorable though! Just on looks and cuteness alone, she might be one of my favorite heroines.

Right now I'm playing :Flowers -Le volume sur printemps and the game so far is 50% hard blushing, 25% complements, 10% Catholic shit, 5% mystery and 10% tea. I'm loving it right now though the music has really gotten to me. I really liked it at first but hearing the same lovely chords for 9 hours is driving me mental. I'm all about that Mayuri.

Really not liking Rikka right now!!

Edited by Ranzo

Well I finished Chaos;Child and while I'm not angry with the rest of it, I am disappointed. The individual character routes are much weaker than the initial route, but they serve their purpose in giving more insight into the motivations and history of the characters. I didn't necessarily see this as a problem, I thought they were solid building blocks of what I expected to be a kickass true ending. Well, I saw the true ending and it turns out that wasn't the point. 

The true ending is basically a minor extension of the common route that focuses on solving a shock reveal that has little to do with the rest of the story. Worse yet, all the heroines that we spent time getting to know in the character routes are completely sidelined and the main heroine is just kinda loitering around and does nothing. It ends with a stone cold bummer, a first in the Sciadv series that loves pulling happy endings from thin air, regardless if the story deserves it or not. 

There are also several smaller issues that annoy me. 

Spoiler

Hana Kazuki is completely pointless in regards to the larger plot and could be completely removed and you wouldn't have to change anything else in the story, she really feels like a character that was written in after a first or even second draft. Kurusu Nono's death is randomly retconed in the true ending, undermining the emotional impact of the initial event. Kunosato Mio's backstory is never expanded upon, but constantly hinted at. Itou Shinji dosn't really get any resolution and is kinda awkwardly pushed out of the story. Wakui Shyuuichi is revealed to be the major villain, but doesn't get defeated and only fucks off after making a vague bet with Takuru. YUI IS FUCKING DEAD IN THE STEINS;GATE WORLDLINE (AKA TRUE END). :kosame:

It feels like the common route was the main visual novel and the other routes were suppose to be part of a separate side release, like Steins;gate Senkei Kousoku no Phenogram. Which would be one thing, but as a visual novel vet I expect the good stuff to be saved for the true ending and not the common route, especially with a big budget title like this. If the vn was $10-20 cheaper and only came with the common route it would be an easy 10/10 for me, but with the extra fat watering down the overall experience it goes down to a 7.5/10. 

Edited by Soulless Watcher

9 hours ago, Ranzo said:

Right now I'm playing :Flowers -Le volume sur printemps and the game so far is 50% hard blushing, 25% complements, 10% Catholic shit, 5% mystery and 10% tea. I'm loving it right now though the music has really gotten to me. I really liked it at first but hearing the same lovely chords for 9 hours is driving me mental. I'm all about that Mayuri.

Really not liking Rikka right now!!

How dare you? Rikka is the best girl! :P Can't argue with the general description though, it's a peculiar experience, even though the whole thing is very much in my taste (after the 5th hour mark a few more tunes would do miracles for it though). VNDB suggests that the second part of the series is getting translated, with Yeagaki as the protagonist it should be a bit less melodramatic and more intriguing when it goes to character interactions. Suou's "shy girl" routine got old pretty fast for me.

So, i finished Sharin no Kuni. A pretty solid VN with great soundtrack, story and characters. As one, who has read G-senjou prior, i just can't not point out how similiar the VNs are (i was kinda expecting it anyway, since it's from Akabeisoft aswell). I still prefer G-senjou, though. Battle of wits between 2 archenemies with some mystery elements and in Sharin, a young man who struggles with the ideas of society are both really appealing to me, but the former is just what i love the most.

Spoiler

I kinda think that they've gone a bit too far with the whole Maximum penalty thing. It was just a bit different than in G-senjou, because there's no way u could have figured this out. Just... very clever

Can't decide if Natsumi or the last spoiler heroine is the best :notlikemiya:

I rated Sharin 9/10, 10/10 for G-senjou. 

Edited by Zidan209

On 11/8/2017 at 2:17 PM, Soulless Watcher said:

Well I finished Chaos;Child and while I'm not angry with the rest of it, I am disappointed. The individual character routes are much weaker than the initial route, but they serve their purpose in giving more insight into the motivations and history of the characters. I didn't necessarily see this as a problem, I thought they were solid building blocks of what I expected to be a kickass true ending. Well, I saw the true ending and it turns out that wasn't the point. 

The routes enforce the story's theme rather than doing something else entirely. Chaos;Child is about dealing with information and the burden of the truth. That's not to say that there are no problems in the way they were executed, it's just that they serve that purpose well. This can be, especially, seen in Hinae's and Nono's routes where both where about truth and falsehood. Uki also serves this concept pretty well, but Uki was really boring.
I think the routes also connect to how important information can also be pointless in the grand scheme of things, but that's a bit of a stretch.

On 11/8/2017 at 2:17 PM, Soulless Watcher said:

There are also several smaller issues that annoy me. 

Hide contents

Hana Kazuki is completely pointless in regards to the larger plot and could be completely removed and you wouldn't have to change anything else in the story, she really feels like a character that was written in after a first or even second draft. Kurusu Nono's death is randomly retconed in the true ending, undermining the emotional impact of the initial event. Kunosato Mio's backstory is never expanded upon, but constantly hinted at. Itou Shinji dosn't really get any resolution and is kinda awkwardly pushed out of the story. Wakui Shyuuichi is revealed to be the major villain, but doesn't get defeated and only fucks off after making a vague bet with Takuru. YUI IS FUCKING DEAD IN THE STEINS;GATE WORLDLINE (AKA TRUE END). :kosame:

Spoiler

I wish i can say that Hana wasn't pointless. Hana is a bad character in every way possible. Actually the story would be much better without her. You could think of how her route could've played out were it based on Takuru being a true Gigalomaniac, instead of her just being there. However, you could say that her power had a major role in the discussion of how information spreads once you consider everything.

I do have similar gripes when it comes to the true route. Regardless, Nono dying probably had to do with her conscious being ejected from the synchronized delusion (C;C syndrome). Moreover, Wakui is not the main villain. Wakui is an agent of the committee. He doesn't care about what happens as long as it doesn't affect him negatively. The main Villain is still Sakumma. I do agree with the rest though.

I don't think the main theme would have worked out without the routes, but it will take me quite a lot more to convince you and i am not sure if you care about themes in general.

2 hours ago, Useless-san said:

The routes enforce the story's theme rather than doing something else entirely. Chaos;Child is about dealing with information and the burden of the truth. That's not to say that there are no problems in the way they were executed, it's just that they serve that purpose well. This can be, especially, seen in Hinae's and Nono's routes where both where about truth and falsehood. Uki also serves this concept pretty well, but Uki was really boring.
I think the routes also connect to how important information can also be pointless in the grand scheme of things, but that's a bit of a stretch.

As a collection of side stories or fables they are fine, good even, I think it was my misperception that it would be structured in a similar way to something like Rewrite that tainted the overall experience for me. If I knew beforehand that the routes would just be their own separate thing that went along with the main route and not building towards a grand finale I probably wouldn't have been as disappointed. 

Honestly though I really didn't care about the underlining themes, I read stories to escape reality, not to learn anything to benefit it :makina:. What really drew me into the main route was the character arc that Miyashiro Takuru goes through, how he changed and matured in response to the plot. As a character story about the loss of innocence I think the main route strives as a stand alone story. 

Spoiler

Yeah, you are definitely right about Wakui. Now that I think about it, he felt very similar to Hana, in regards to overall plot relevance. 

5 hours ago, Soulless Watcher said:

As a collection of side stories or fables they are fine, good even, I think it was my misperception that it would be structured in a similar way to something like Rewrite that tainted the overall experience for me. If I knew beforehand that the routes would just be their own separate thing that went along with the main route and not building towards a grand finale I probably wouldn't have been as disappointed. 

Honestly though I really didn't care about the underlining themes, I read stories to escape reality, not to learn anything to benefit it :makina:.

I could tell from your VNDB, which is why i stopped. Nonetheless, the case of C;C is pretty peculiar as it goes to great lengths to maintain the theme's integrity and coherence. The route structure is a result of that, and it's only good if you care about the theme. Therefore, i can't fault anyone for disliking the routes.

Over sky on the other hand, is as you said impeccable. It is a perfect 10/10.
The structure was great with minimum downtime, and most of the scenes felt meaningful to the goal the story was heading to. It also manages to show managed to show the cast in this route as people, developing them throughout the route (save for Hana and Uki). You can just praise it tbh, there is nothing to complain about.
I wrote my impressions on Choas;Child already, so doing it again feels redundant.

At least Chaos duology girls did good job enough as eye candy at the first glance if one find the girls story (ie route) was quite lacking, although of course some people would like the girls as it is.

For the topic, I finished Mamatoto and it was quite fun. The gameplay for the most part was very easy and mostly you didn't need to grinding and strategize much, expect for the final boss (MC's dad Kakaro) in which I didn't had much problem fighting it because my average party level was at around 30. Then again, Kakaro might give some problem though if one was at around level 20 for the party. Story was very simple because basically it was just Mamatoto fighting against three countries for the world peace, except instead like Kichikuou or Daibanchou it was chapter based which make this very linear (Well you could get different ending for multiple characters based on Nanas point, but that's it). Some OST was remixed from Kichikuou, and it's quite noticeable there to me but I think it's still serviceable though. For my last word here, if you interested with drinking game you could make one based on recruitement scenes which managed by Nanas and happened automatically, because there's a lot of that in Mamatoto.

So, I finally finished Subahibi. And, well, it was a weird ending. I can't say I really understand what happened there, so I'll definitely need to reread some key moments of the VN.

Overall, Subahibi definitely delivered on its hype. I need to let my thoughts and emotions settle for some time, but  so far I'm pretty sure it's really the best VN I've read to this day.

I started Soukou Akki Muramasa. I think it's very good so far, even if my experience has been marred by my slow reading pace. Frankly, I'm not having as difficult a time as its reputation would have lead me to believe. While the author uses odd kanji and vocabulary much of the time, the sentence structure isn't ridiculously complex. The game itself, if nothing else, is very well produced (though, that's what you expect from the phenomenal nitroplus). The soundtrack and overall atmosphere is thick and beautiful, and the art is incredibly smooth and easy on the eyes. I think I would have had a far more difficult time stomaching the more "everyday life" scenes had the soundtrack not been amazing. I'm about halfway through chapter 1, and my main problems are related to characters. Simply put, I did not start this life and death drama to read about schoolchildren. I know that it'll start putting more focus into things I care about soon enough, but I can't help but think about how much I'd rather be reading about Minato or the red-haired ojou-san than these students who I don't even really like and it's an odd choice for this type of game. With all that said I don't mind the mystery about the missing friend

Spoiler

I'm sure that everything will be juuuuust fine and this has nothing to do with those meat pulverizing sounds from the beginning of the game

and as much as I'm complaining I am enjoying this one so far.

Got to my third route in Wagamama High Spec. Time for the Tsundere route (which are always fun xD).

While the fap material in this game is excellent, I'm kinda getting burned out on the H scenes (which typically last almost an hour).

Next VN I play, I want some actual plot thanks (and some feels too).