What are you playing?

Started reading Tokyo Babel today. So far it's pretty good - the story isn't anything special so far, but I like the protagonist.

3 hours ago, Akshay said:
3 hours ago, onorub said:

Kajitsu>Meikyuu>Rakuen for me.

Kajitsu >>> Meikyu >> Rakuen

Agreed on this. If I had to be precise on the arrow placing it would be something like Kajitsu >> Meikyuu >>>> Rakuen for me.

I am really looking forward to reading SubaHibi. I've seen a lot of positive words about it here and I can see it's already in 6th place in vndb rating which I've grown to trust a lot by now. So far the only one in the top page by rating that disappointed me was G-Senjou no Maou.

2 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

Hehe, i'm going to start Fate/Stay Night.

I've waited 4 years, 4 years since i started VNs, but finally, i'm playing Fate/Stay Night.

That's why i didn't play all the highly-rated VNs, so i could play them whenever i want and be mind blown.

You're already going into the VN with your mind pre-blown. Once the mind has been blown, it cannot be re-blown. - Sheldon Cooper

Sad

2 hours ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

At least now you got 2 visual novels to read : Steins;Gate & Steins;Gate 0, you're a lucky dude.

Well, right now it's a second major VN in my to-read list after Dies Irae. ;)

Seriously though, I should've read Steins;Gate back in 2013 when I originally became interested in it. But vndb listed the English release as incomplete for some reason, so I decided to watch the anime instead. And, though it was great, it had some flaws with how it handled the sci-fi elements and the overall characterization of some characters, and that worsened my overall impression. And, from what I've seen and heard about the VN, I'm pretty sure it actually handles those moments much better, but, since I already know the story, I never really managed to make myself to sit through more than several chapters. Though It has been several years since I touched it for the last time, so it's probably the time to try it again.

Okabe is still the best protag ever though.

4 hours ago, Not_At_All said:

Started reading Tokyo Babel today. So far it's pretty good - the story isn't anything special so far, but I like the protagonist.

Sorami isn't the protagonist for very long.  But I like Setsuna as well.  Tokyo Babel is a lot of fun.  The story's got issues, but the characters make up for it.

7 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

Thanks! Now I have a good excuse for why, after 4 years of reading VNs, I still haven't read Steins;Gate. (Please, don't kill me :nokia:)

I watched the anime before I knew what VN's were. Once I started I was kind of reluctant to play it thinking it wouldn't be as fun, since I already knew the story. But people have said so many good things about it, that I'm gonna play it anyhow.

I saw the anime 2 or 3 times before finally playing the VN. Was still totally worth it for all the non adapted scenes, mainly one I REALLY liked. Also, having Okabe's POV, so being in his head and reading his thoughts makes it at least two times better than the anime.

6 hours ago, Nandemonai said:

Sorami isn't the protagonist for very long.  But I like Setsuna as well.  Tokyo Babel is a lot of fun.  The story's got issues, but the characters make up for it.

I meant Setsuna when I said I like the protagonist.

For the Steins;Gate discussion, I have read the VN and watched the anime a couple of times and I must say I prefer the anime version. VN has some exclusive scenes that makes it worth reading anyway (you can't have too much Steins;Gate), but when I revisit it, it will be in the anime format. It is a great adaptation and I prefer seeing Okarin from 3rd person instead of 1st. Also the anime exclusive story (Deja-vu movie) is pretty good too.

It is probably the only VN that I feel this way about.

Besides, Steins;Gate happens on a hot summer, and everyone knows that summer is the superior season and when you score all the girls.

(Even though I now like more the winter, I still appreciate summer, I was influenced early by Kimagure Orange Road and my pumping serotonin).

On 22/10/2017 at 7:05 AM, Riku said:

I saw the anime 2 or 3 times before finally playing the VN. Was still totally worth it for all the non adapted scenes, mainly one I REALLY liked. Also, having Okabe's POV, so being in his head and reading his thoughts makes it at least two times better than the anime.

I saw the anime 3 times and played the VN 2 times, so i can tell you, i like both.
Both are amazing. 

Old (bad) habits die hard : i'm reading four VNs at the same time (and soon it could be five...remember Little Busters!) :ph34r:

- Dead End Junction : finished Part 3/4. The Western/Fantasy setting is very pleasant. Unfortunately,  the story and the characters are not very surprising (too superficials, too cliché). Similarly, the comics style presentation was a good idea. Too bad the lack of CGs ruins it (contrary to Quartett!).

- Danganronpa v3 : Finished first chapter. Its outcome was great and destabilising, just like a famous english crime novel :P

:marie: SPOILER ! DANGER ! :marie:

Spoiler

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd

- Chaos;Child : Chapter 8, first playthrough. Reading Chaos;Head just before was a good idea ;) More seriously, the link between the two VNs is really interesting and each twist or revelation has all the more impact. However, just like C;H, the first chapters were disconcerting (The protagonist's behavior, shonen atmosphere). Otherwise, the story is really intriguing, for the moment.

- Fate/Hollow Ataraxia : Act 2, phase 4-5. It is always a pleasure and a joy to go back to Fuyuki City. First point : Tohsaka Rin is still my waifu N°2. Sakura, Saber, Taiga and Caster are great too (and Lancer deserves a very special mention). Second point : the story part is interesting (maybe a bit far-fetched) and the Slice of Life part is excellent (another good idea : with the Ecllipse part, the H-scenes are optional). In short, It's an excellent Fandisc. Many thanks to the fan-translators :kosame:

Edited by Canicheslayer

Just finished DDLC recently. That was a really nice ride (that kinda robbed me of a few nights' good sleep, but worth it).

Right now slowly rereading Fate/Hollow Ataraxia with the long-awaited voice patch. Not sure what to read next, probably Sharin no Kuni or Stein's;Gate (I've watched the anime, but perhaps it's time to ascend to the level of a primary).

Playing Katawa Shoujo atm. Already completed most routes. Rin and Shizune are my favourite characters in that VN. Though Hanako was surprisingly cute too.

Dunno what I'll play next. I'm waiting on unrated versions of Grisaia no Rakuen and G-Senjou no Maou. Also looking to play Steins;Gate, Nekopara (lol), and CLANNAD at some point.

Also ..... morbidly curious about Doki Doki Literature Club. Apparently that Psychological Horror tag in the reviews is there for a reason...

Play Mamatoto right now, and so far it's quite easy if you keep grinding. Of course I did some grinding here, so much that I was quite overlevel for story battle.

For the VN itself, I quite like it although the tutorial at the beginning was quite overwhelming though. And it's unusual that we had Alicesoft MC who was a nice guy and didn't had sex in the beginning here (Nanas), which say alot considering that usually the MC could had sex at the beginning (Especially Rance). That said Mamatoto still had some early sexual content though courtesy of MC's dad Kakaro, who is quite cruel behind Nanas. As for the gameplay, I'd heard it was a crude version of Rance IX although apparently IX make some modification to the gameplay though.

That's all that I could say in regard of Mamatoto.

Just bought and installed Wagamama High Spec. It was either this or Nekopara xD.

My VN "wishlist" is either full of stuff I'm waiting to be released, stuff that doesn't have unrated versions yet, or VNs which are known to smack you in the feels. Wanted something more light hearted for now (feels and tears can come later xD).

22 minutes ago, URV said:

I only just started reading Hatsukoi 1/1 on a whim. It seems to be quite heavy on the slice of life, which can be nice in its own right, though I do admit I tend to prefer more story-heavy VNs. I have two stalled VNs that I'm thinking of continuing alongside it: Shikkoku no Sharnoth and Forest. Which one would make for a better read?

Shikkoku no Sharnoth is a liar-soft game, in their usual steam-punk world. It was one of their better games, though I liked Inganock more.  

Forrest, isn't really played for the story. The story isn't bad, but that's not what makes it unique. The art style and method of storytelling are very different from most traditional VN's.The experience, is unique to say the least. Its also very easy to get a bad ending. This one is more fun without a walkthrough.

You have played a lot of VN's, but nothing by liar soft as of yet.  They have a very unique style of writing, and the prose is repetitive, in ways that some may not enjoy. Further, a lot of people don't enjoy the whole, steam-punk type fantasy setting.

Forrest is an interesting experience that I think every VN enthusiast should experience. 

I would probably go for Forest as your next VN

I would also try at least one Liar-soft game at some point to try it. If you do, Sekien no Inganock is one I enjoyed more. All liar soft games, are somewhat similar in style. (Except maybe cannonball)

I actually quite enjoy the steampunk setting, so that's one point in favour for Shikkoku. That said, though, I think I'll definitely go with Forest based on what you're saying (especially since I generally prefer avoiding walkthroughs on my first run, so that works out well). Either way, I do plan on reading Shikkoku soon afterwards, so it's merely a matter of which one to go for first.

Thanks for the response!

Edited by URV