What are you playing?

You probably missed the edit I made a few minutes ago:

b16ff9b9df87ecd63ffdc9ceb6d4253d.png

That's not too different from her physical form in the true route, from what I can tell. 

The protagonist calling her a "woman" isn't a clear indicator in my opinion because who knows what gets lost in translation, or how the protagonist wants to call an immortal goddess. I think his comments on her at the start of her route was largely in reference to how different she seemed when she was walking around like everyone else and wearing normal clothes. Her difference in behavior was chalked up to how completely unfamiliar she was with having a physical form, basically reducing her to the status of a toddler who grow up in a hurry.

12 minutes ago, Decay said:

You probably missed the edit I made a few minutes ago:

It just shows that she has a flat chest. But the key features of the CG's in the common route are her waist and face.

However, I can't really prove my point either. Everything that's said could be interpreted in different ways and the CG's can't really be trusted because she has different clothing and hair cut in the true route.

Anyway, even if you're right it doesn't really make her route much better... :unsure:

So, SubaHibi, finished Down the Rabbit Hole I & II and stopped right at the beginning of It's my Own Invention.

Well, I can't really say that I formed a solid opinion about the actual quality of this VN, but I'll make a list of things I liked and disliked so far.

+ The peaceful atmosphere at the beginning of each chapter slowly gets thrown into a complete mindfuck by the end (espetially at the second chapter) and it's done really well.

+ References to philosophy, classical literature, and a lot of other things make a feeling that the author knows what he writes about (though it may be just a feeling).

++ Overall, I often enjoy trying to make sense of seemingly nonsensical stories where everything makes sense in a long run. So far, it looks like this Vn is exactly this type of story. It feels like it throws quite a lot of little hints about the bigger picture (though I'm pretty sure that I miss almost all of them).

+++ Yuki. I mean, I would totally be fine if she was the only protag in the story. She is quirky, smart, and overall quite enjoyable to watch.

+ The art is a bit strange, but it works. The music is also pretty good.

+- The philosophy references are great, but I wouldn't exactly call them mindblowing. I mean, they mostly are pretty basic stuff so far. Though it will still work if they are well utilized in the actual story, so we'll see.

- Honestly, some parts in Down the Rabbit Hole I are pretty boring (the main reason why it took me so long to actually start reading this VN). I mean, it's probably just another case of "The beginning is done intentionally badly to contrast with the later parts of the story," but honestly I'm pretty tired of this trick after I see it in every second plot-based VN.

* Also, it's just a suspicion now, but Takuji might be a bit annoying when the story is told from his perspective.

Now, several speculations about where the plot is going. Obviously, spoilers.

Spoiler

So far I don't really have a theory about the bigger picture of the whole VN (and it's a bit too early for that), but I have an idea that Down the Rabbit Hole II, just like Down the Rabbit Hole I, could take place in a dream. I mean, the hint is pretty obvious, it's in the title of the chapter. Another moment is that the person dreaming is not necessarily Yuki herself. For example, it could be Takuji seeing the world from the perspective of the girl he likes or something like that. Or, in the extreme case, Yuki might not even exist in the real world and is just a product of the dreamer's fantasy, though I doubt it's true.

The main fact that gives me the suspicion that the person having a dream might be a guy is in the whole yuri act in the first chapter. I don't remember the exact places where I got that feeling, but it always seemed that Yuki always had to remind herself that she was a girl and not a guy. Also, at the beginning of the second chapter Ayana mentions that Yuki is "technically" a girl. Well, on second thought, things like that are mentioned quite often, so it could be a red herring. Another part that got my interest: at the beginning of the second chapter we get a short shot of something that might be the real world with somebody quietly talking in the background. I don't understand Japanese, but after listening to the line several times I got the impression that the line was "Taku nii-san". Though, obviously, it could mean anything, so it's better not to focus on a single theory so far.

Also, I wonder how deeply the allusions to Kant and Jung go. Recalling philosophy lectures at the university, the most interesting part about Kantian philosophy was in the comparison between the noumena (the thing that constitute the 'real' world) and phenomena (the things as we see them in our consciousness). Also, Kant stated that phenomena in form have nothing to do with noumena that cause them. I have a feeling this might play a role in the story, but I can't exactly connect it right now. The allusions to Jung are seemingly more obvious (with a few mentions of the Shadow), but I wonder if it goes deeper.

Finished Setsuna's White Album 2 Closing Chapter route! Can't wait for Coda to come out (though it's likely going to be very long)

Started Danganronpa V3, currently on chapter 4, I loved all the previous games and I'm really liking this one (though so far I'm not as into it as the 2nd one)

Also have Doki doki literature club on PTR to see what all the fuss is about

On 10/1/2017 at 2:31 AM, Eclipsed said:

Ch 1 will ALWAYS gank the best characters so while I'm dying a bit inside, that was a pretty awesome 1st ClassTrial

The prologue is nothing new, though it does feel pretty long, easily 1-2 hours of having to explore the entire campus and meet-n-greeting all 15 other SHSL/Ultimate students before the Killing Game is even announced. And then of course you gotta slog around for another hour or two as the cast naturally claims that they'll never participate in such a game, yada yada, this and that happens, First Blood finally happens, and we finally get to have our first trial

Gank, First Blood...

For some reason your word choices make me think you play DOTA

Edited by Akshay

6 hours ago, Akshay said:

Gank, First Blood...

For some reason your word choices make me think you play DOTA

Hehe, nope :<

Gank, at least for me, came from Supernatural, some Ch.5 'murican TV show on the CW from a character named Dean whenever he speaks of killing something

e: 

And they literally call it First Blood in the VN

But yeah, ppl say i tend to speak funnies 'round these parts

Grisaia PT - It was alright but kinda felt that these type of characters were too similar and not as entertaining as 1. 

Golden Hour - I'm really like this one a lot, it has done an alright job of making me care about the characters. 

Edit: Done. The big reveal in the true route didn't put me off. You can kinda begin to piece together what is happening early on but it was alright. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Edited by HotTrax

Catching up on some of the moege English releases now that I'm free and don't feel obliged to only play Japanese games raw. Playing My girlfriend is the president. It's pretty average so far and only mildly amusing but the girls are ultra cute. It's nowhere near as funny as I was hoping it would be and the story has very little in the way of actual dramatic tension - which isn't surprising but you can still maintain an interesting story and still be moe as fuck. It's okay so far overall but nothing to write home about. Considering Alcot made this and the glorious work that is Clover day's, it's a bit of a letdown by comparison. Will see after a few more girls but it's not much more than 'filler' for me atm.

Played ATASHINORIRI. It might be an unpopular opinion, but i think it's everything Hatoful Boyfriend wishes it could be. It's better and funnier as a parody and has a true route that is more fitting with the parody aspect. It might as well be the ultimate meme VN.

Now starting the Sharin no Kuni fandisc.

Edited by onorub

19 hours ago, ittaku said:

Catching up on some of the moege English releases now that I'm free and don't feel obliged to only play Japanese games raw. Playing My girlfriend is the president. It's pretty average so far and only mildly amusing but the girls are ultra cute. It's nowhere near as funny as I was hoping it would be and the story has very little in the way of actual dramatic tension - which isn't surprising but you can still maintain an interesting story and still be moe as fuck. It's okay so far overall but nothing to write home about. Considering Alcot made this and the glorious work that is Clover day's, it's a bit of a letdown by comparison. Will see after a few more girls but it's not much more than 'filler' for me atm.

Followup. I finished Yukino's route first and it was what made me write this first comment. I'm now well into Ran's route and it is much more fun. As per usual my problem was more with the heroine rather than anything else as Yukino was really shallow simple and 1 billion percent predictable in not only how she'd behave but what she'd say so was plain boring. Ran so far is much more interesting and super sweet, but still not on the scale of Clover Day's. The evolution between these two games and the years between them shows. I still have 2.5 heroines to conquer so it's too early to draw a final conclusion but it's at least providing me with the level of fun I was hoping for now. I'm saving Irina for last.

I've been playing Cherry Tree High Comedy and somehow reached the normal ending. Its a very uncommon and fascinating visual novel! Hope to find more of this stuffs... Anyways I should try playing older games from my childhood days as a reward for myself once the exams are all over. Perhaps Throne Of Darkness will do. 

On 09/10/2017 at 8:20 PM, onorub said:

Now starting the Sharin no Kuni fandisc.

Final thoughts on it:

Masaomi Chapter was really good, but it kinda felt too recycled from the original's last chapter.
Natsumi After was really boring and it exposed how shallow Natsumi is as a character, she has no ambition besides being with the MC.
Sachi After was decent, but it felt recycled from her original arc at times.
Touka After was as good as a Muv-luv Extra route, i'll leave it at that.
Ririko After was a whole lot of nothing, because the interesting stuff from her original ending wasn't covered.
Eri Chapter was actually my favorite, it was a nice short story and a bit depressing knowing what happened to her at the end.

Overall it was alright, but aside from Masaomi's Chapter, there's nothing that i'd consider can't miss. 

Starting playing Magical Charming as a much needed change-of-pace. (before that I was reading the LN series SukaSuka and SukaMoka. Both those were intense and crushingly sad at times). I haven't played much VN's in the last couple months, it's nice to enjoy them some more.

Not much to say. Basically just recovering with moe.

Spoiler

2OqaoPe.jpg

I don't think I've seen so much cute since Himawari no Kyoukai.

Edited by Chronopolis

Replaying Kamidori for Yuela's route here - it's my 2nd playthrough by the way, and quite busy with completing Tian's append quest here which apparently was bugged. Also did many grinding here as well, so I think my level was pretty balanced between characters for now at least.

Edited by littleshogun

After reading Grisaia no Kajitsu two years ago, i've read Meikyuu and Rakuen.

Meikyuu: After stories were fine (Sachi>Michiru>Amane>Makina>Yumiko for me), while Grand Route was great and the highlight of the series for me.

Rakuen: Prologue was pretty great but i didn't like the main story very much (crappy third-person narrative, lame villains and weirdly convenient ending turned me off).

Overall, still a solid trilogy. Kajitsu>Meikyuu>Rakuen for me.

So, I finished the main ending for Looking Glass Insects in SubaHibi. And, honestly, this VN is great! When I was starting it, I thought it was going to be another overhyped disappointment, but it turned out to be one of the rare times when the hype was fully justified.

So, I'll write a few words about each chapter so far.

Down the Rabbit Hole. I already wrote my opinion about it in an earlier post, but, basically, it serves as a good introduction to the story and the themes, and overall is pretty enjoyable. Also, Yuki is the best character.

Spoiler

20171002212613_1.jpg

I laughed so hard at this part! :wahaha:

It's My Own Invention. Still great, though a bit long, and H-scenes that come one after another kind of mess up with the pacing a bit. Overall, it's a nice mindfuck, and it's interesting to try to find at least some logical explanation for the things happening on the screen. I strongly hated Takuji (I think, he might proudly join the protag from Himawari as my most hated VN protagonist) but in his case it's totally fine and justified, because: a) he is intentionally pathetic, and author clearly wanted to make him this way; b) it works in the story; c) I don't think he even shows his full character in this chapter, because

Spoiler

he is clearly a very unreliable narrator, and some scenes show that there might be actually something more to his character, though I don't think these things will make him less pathetic; d) the last confrontation with Tomosane shows that, even though Takuji did some terrible things in this chapter, he did them all for Hasaki. Her name was left out except for in one sentence, but I think it was pretty obvious. On the other hand, it could also be Takuji's mother (though I'm for Hasaki). It still doesn't justify him in the slightest degree, but in the end it makes him a bit more relatable.

20171017233748_1.jpg

So, in the end, though I hate him and I doubt it will change, I still think that he is a great character.

Also, I kind of spoiled one major plot twist at this point (about Tomosane), but, honestly, as long as it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the story, (and it doesn't, at least, not in a negative way) I don't care.

Looking Glass Insects is my favorite chapter in the story so far.

Spoiler

20171019023640_1.jpg

And it's the point where this VN jumped from a borderline 8-9/10 to a strong 10/10. Well, I kind of disliked Zakuro before this chapter, so I never would've guessed I would sympathize with her so much in the end.

Spoiler

Basically, it does a very old textbook trick: shows some happy and fluffy moments with Mamiya in the beginning, and then throws everything into complete *despair*.

20171020025548_1.jpg

Honestly, when I reached this exact moment, I actually felt like something inside me broke.:)

Though the final part of this chapter was a bit weird. For a second I thought: "Wait... Is this VN actually going into that direction", but then I realized that, well, a story with an unreliable narrator is still a story with an unreliable narrator (and the ending, basically, showed that I was right).

So, yeah, summing up, this VN is pretty great. Go read it if you haven't yet!;)

PS. On the unrelated note, what's up with this VN's vndb page? Some character profiles clearly have some unmarked spoilers. Though it isn't obvious on the first glance, some information isn't revealed at all at this point, and it does matter!

PSS.

1 hour ago, Kurisu-Chan said:

That's why i didn't play all the highly-rated VNs, so i could play them whenever i want and be mind blown.

Thanks! Now I have a good excuse for why, after 4 years of reading VNs, I still haven't read Steins;Gate. (Please, don't kill me :nokia:)

Edited by Dreamysyu