What are you playing?

Reading Chaos;Head and now i understand the complaints about the protagonist, he's such a loser that he makes the whole thing look like some fucked up comedy.

09/03: Finished it with the best ending and watched the remaining endings on youtube (i think B ending was more to explain the murders, so i get why it's only acessible on NewGame+). Overall it's pretty good, but the MC makes it hard to take seriously, especially when it looks like he's gonna be a badass from then on and he says one or two dorky lines so you're like "oh...".

Edited by onorub

On 8/31/2017 at 6:26 AM, onorub said:

Reading Chaos;Head and now i understand the complaints about the protagonist, he's such a loser that he makes the whole thing look like some fucked up comedy.

That reminds me of when I described C;H to my brother and said Takumi makes Shinji Ikari from Evangelion look like a bad ass.

On my end I've finished the second of the side stories for Dies Irae, which was actually better than I expected in how it showed how certain characters met and ended at the right moment where I was worried it was going to show too much. Now to finish the third one (which I can't help but feel is unnecessary so far as it's introducing several new characters and seems to expect me to have some investment in them right out the gate plus there's nothing so far that isn't convincing me this backstory regarding a certain pair needed to be told like this) so I can finally get back to the main story and see how Marie's route is.

Edit: Okay, I'm at the action part of the sidestory and it's definitely gotten better here if only because of the character banter in the battles (especially Rusalka's)

Edited by BookwormOtaku

On 8/31/2017 at 9:26 AM, onorub said:

Yeah, I like the VN and everything, but good lord, is it hard to deal with Takumi.  I can only play in fits and spurts because of that.  Okabe was not particularly well-adjusted, but Takumi literally needs professional help.  The real problem, though, is that Okabe has redeeming qualities that come part and parcel with his eccentricities and obnoxiousness.  Takumi - well, I'm still relatively early in the game (I think), but not so much.

6 hours ago, Deniz said:

I was looking for an easy dungeon crawling game to satisfy my urge and finished Violated Hero 3 in one sitting.It was quite enjoyable.Contrast between the protagonist's innocence and monster girls' perviness was cute. :D

If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend checking out Monmusu Quest. Apart from the h content seeming to be pretty similar (I haven't read Violated Hero), it's a surprisingly good time for completely different reasons.

25996.jpg

So, I finished Yang's route in Pygmalion now, and I think I'll leave it at that. To be honest, I think I only made it that far because I enjoyed its music so much. I really have to try to extract its music somehow or get a download for it since it would be a waste to just have it gone. In that regard its similar strong or maybe even better than Tokyo Babel which also had a quite good soundtrack overall. For all their flaws, Propeller did have a good sense of music.

Unfortunately, the VN had a lot of other flaws that couldn't just be compensated by the music. First and foremost the weak character cast, followed by a very chaotic story flow. And the top offender was Mina itself, the protagonist. If I would be forced to find a word that describes everything about her, personality, attitude, character strength, everything in one word, then this word would be "Huh?!". Nothing else describes her complete cluelessness, lack of common sense and character strength better than this word. You can literally talk her into every crime with just a half-assed explanation because she will believe everything or just be too timid to doubt you. You can totally expect stuff like "Huh, how could I have known that the kid will be dead after I shot it?!". Overall, she acts like a 5 year old child for the most part of the VN which gets VERY annoying after a while.

The rest of the 'yuri circle' - Riko and Jessica - also didn't exactly stand out through particular smartness. Riko was as bland and boring as it gets while Jessica was at least bearable and actually has some decent scenes. Another top offender was Madame Leifang who could be considered the leader of 'Team Ruka'. Her main agenda seemed to be to cause as much infighting as possible and get her team killed as fast as possible. She also constantly seemed to change her attitude through the VN to a point where I had the strong suspicion that she might constantly having her days. At some point I just gave up trying to understand what she actually wants.

Yang, her daughter, was better and some of the characters who acted a bit more mature. Though she was essentially not more than a side character. She only appears for a short time at the start and then just joins much later on. And most of her 'route' consisted of sitting in a car and talking with Jay, which was surprisingly one of the more relaxing parts of the VN's. And speaking of Jay, he was probably the best written character by a long mile. Calm, composed and loyal - I really liked him. He would have been a way better protagonist than Mina.

Art was hit and miss. The artist had frequent problems finding the right facial and body proportions. At its best there were some really nice and beautiful CG's, but more often than not it just turned out as weird and distorted.

For the story itself, it had potential, but the weak character cast and chaotic story flow more less killed it.

Spoiler

The whole "my puppet god is better than your puppet god" battle royal was just so obvious that the characters not getting it immediately was border-line insulting. And the puppet gods itself were just abtract beings with no personality themselves. That they just gave a damn about their caring minions was almost an ironic fate. The whole illusionary world came rather late and out of the blue in Yang's route and there might be more about it in the other routes. Not really interested enough to read the other routes though.

Character ranking: Jay > Yang > Jessica >> Riko > Madame Leifang >> Mina (I use a character ranking instead of a heroine ranking this time so I can include Jay)

Overall rating: 6/10

Regarding other translated VN's I'm currently reading, I'm half through with Chrono Clock. Makoto's route was pretty good although a bit short. Misaki's and Michiru's routes felt really unnecessary and tagged on though, with a much lower quality than Makoto's route. They dragged quite a bit and it took me several breaks to dig through them. Currently at DD's route which I'm not sure yet how it'll turn out. But the VN certainly lives from its charming characters.

Finished Kasumi's route in Dies which wasn't that great and getting to the end of Kei's route I think. Seems a bit better than Kasumi's, but it's still rather bland and predictable. I think I've never experienced a writer that had such a tendency to blather like in Dies. Ask anyone for directions and he'll just say "Just over there, 200 meters from here on the left side.", ask Masada and you get a half hour sermon about 'going against the forces or nature', 'wilth full spirit', 'even if it costs you your life', 'and never give up' and stuff like that - you get the picture. It's only possible to digest in small doses... -.-

Also started with Fata Morgana and it's rather promising so far. In contrast to most others I didn't like the music at all and replaced it with the soundtrack from Beyond two Souls from Lorne Balfe which somehow fits the gothic atmosphere better. The original soundtrack also had too much (bad) singing and I find atmospheric music with singing horribly distracting. The sprites are good, the backgrounds... not - in half of the cases I can't even figure out what the background image is supposed to show. Oddly enough, as long as the sprites are good the weak backgrounds don't hurt the experience as much as I thought. But the writing is overall spot on so far and compensates for a lot of its other shortcomings.

Edited by ChaosRaven

Finished Zero Time Dilemma today, so I am done with the trilogy now. I disliked that they kept changing the art between the games. Not because it looked bad, I got used to it, but because the same character looked completely different in different games. Clover in 1-2, Akane and Jumpey in 1-3 and Sigma and Phi in 2-3. They felt like completely different people to me.

About the third game itself - I liked the playing random fragments of story and trying to piece it together, it was an interesting experience. It's a shame the cast was split into teams the way it was, because I liked C and D teams a lot, but when it came to team Q I was forcing myself a bit. Mira was okay, but I didn't like Q and Eric, well, fuck Eric. Also it's a shame that this interesting story telling was used on the weakest story of the trilogy. They kept putting more and more sci-fi elements into it, but unlike in the first two games, there were no attempts to explain them and eventually I gave up trying to make it make sense. The characters of teams C and D were really interesting though, so I enjoyed it even if it made none of it. 

Specific things I found bullshit:

Spoiler
  • Alien civilization transporter.
  • Too much SHIFTing by the end. It was done quite nicely in VLR, but when it became usual and easy to do, it stopped being interesting.
  • Mind hack.
  • Causal loops. Phi had her brooch cause Diane left it to her cause Phi had it in the first place. It didn't come from anywhere.
  • True ending. Delta's motivation for doing the whole Radical 6 thing was so weak that it made it all feel quite pointless.

However the biggest annoyance for me was that Phi is Diane's and Sigma's daughter. It kinda makes sense, but Phi and Sigma had great chemistry (especially in VLR) so I really hoped they'd get together, but alas. :(

On 8/30/2017 at 0:17 PM, Zidan209 said:

While Michiru's route was fun, Sakaki was filled with something more interesting and maybe a bit thrilling. Well, actually it's a fight between those 2 routes and those 2 girls, since i did not really like Amane and i found her route a little boring because it was a BIT too long (Kazuki was probably the only reason i could bear to watch all the other stupid characters). So i guess my final judgement would be Sakaki for the best route and Michiru the best girl. Nothing against Sachi, she just wasn't as likeable for me and the stupid options offered to the player on her route (and obviously their consequences) were a letdown. The same goes for Michiru, the choices the player is offered at the end make no sense whatsoever and i tried hard to think about them even after going through both of her endings.

I find it interesting that our opinions are almost completely different. For me best girl was Sachi, worst - Michiru (I just found her way too annoying). Best route - Amane's, even though both times I read GnK I thought it was a bit too long, so I agree with you there, but it was really memorable. Worst, probably Sakaki's or Makina's, they overlapped a bit too much for my liking.

I completely agree on the ending choices. Sachi's and Michiru's were just awful. Other three girls' at least made sense. 

Edited by Not_At_All

At last, I finished Da Capo 4 Dal Segno.

32926.jpg

I feel released...and quite irritated. On the one hand, the setting, the art, the CGs and the Character Design are very good. But, on the other hand, this VN is so boring (ex : the common route is horrible) and almost all the girls are...hollow, uninteresting. And the Drama ? Uggh...It was probably worst than Da Capo I (except Noeri's ending...maybe).

Girl Ranking : Io >>> Ame > Himari > Noeri > Hazuki

Route Ranking : Noeri >> Ame = Io >> Himari > Hazuki

Edit : reading Hanachirasu.

4481.jpg

Chapter 4, first playthrough. After too much moe/school setting, it's the perfect change of scenery :wahaha: I must say that he "uchronic" setting is just awesome. Similarly, I enjoy the villainous (but interesting) protagonist and the OST is great for the moment :kosame:

Edited by Canicheslayer

On 9/3/2017 at 0:39 PM, Not_At_All said:

Finished Zero Time Dilemma today, so I am done with the trilogy now. I disliked that they kept changing the art between the games. Not because it looked bad, I got used to it, but because the same character looked completely different in different games. Clover in 1-2, Akane and Jumpey in 1-3 and Sigma and Phi in 2-3. They felt like completely different people to me.

About the third game itself - I liked the playing random fragments of story and trying to piece it together, it was an interesting experience. It's a shame the cast was split into teams the way it was, because I liked C and D teams a lot, but when it came to team Q I was forcing myself a bit. Mira was okay, but I didn't like Q and Eric, well, fuck Eric. Also it's a shame that this interesting story telling was used on the weakest story of the trilogy. They kept putting more and more sci-fi elements into it, but unlike in the first two games, there were no attempts to explain them and eventually I gave up trying to make it make sense. The characters of teams C and D were really interesting though, so I enjoyed it even if it made none of it. 

Lol yeah, teams C&D ftw, rip team Q, I didn't care jack about them.

As for the BS true ending, I'll never get over how silly it was to hear 'my motives are complex' :makina:

~~
There are so many mainstream backlogged VNs i should be reading right now, Dies Irae, the rest of the Grisaia trilogy, Fata Morgana, blahblahblah but nope I'm gonna pick the randomest thing ever and go with XBlaze Code Embryo and Lost Memories on my Vita 'cos they've been collecting dust for god knows how long

Just finished SubaHibi, and, well, I was disappointed. And here I hoped it'd be the masterpiece that so much people praise... Well, still liked it (more like, was kinda meh and just fucked up until the subroute in chapter 4 where I started genuinely liking it)

Currently playing Little Busters i just woke up ready to pull the "until i dont finish this shit im not sleeping". I just finished rewrite a couple of days ago, Jesus ive been born to love Key and Jun Maeda, loved every single route with Shizuru being my fav one and ofc moon/terra being simply too good.

Ive already played some of the routes from LB before but never finished it after finishing Rewrite i said fuck it, too bad the Perfect Edition is delayed but meh.

1 hour ago, Zhyareth said:

Currently playing Little Busters i just woke up ready to pull the "until i dont finish this shit im not sleeping". I just finished rewrite a couple of days ago, Jesus ive been born to love Key and Jun Maeda, loved every single route with Shizuru being my fav one and ofc moon/terra being simply too good.

Ive already played some of the routes from LB before but never finished it after finishing Rewrite i said fuck it, too bad the Perfect Edition is delayed but meh.

Perfect Edition delayed as in recently? or from 5 years ago delayed? back when I was a Key fanatic i was hyped for it too but tick tock tick tock the years just went by...

GL grinding Little Busters!, i unfortunately found it boring so i just did Rin 1 -> Haruka -> skip all the others -> Rin 2 -> Refrain :wafuu:

Finished Hanachirasu...already :ph34r:

4481.jpg

+ The setting is awesome : I'm a sucker for uchronia/alternative History :kosame:

+ The protagonist is a total jerk, a true villain. It was hilarious (except the unavoidable rape).

+ The background music is a real plus.

+ The Eternal ending is pure genius.

- Way too short.

- I didn't like the girls' Character Design.

- The detailed descriptions of sword techniques were awfully boring.

- Some parts of the plot are not clear or too convenient/predictable.

- Unavoidable rape.

Edit : Reading Quartett!

18228.jpg

My expectations are very, very high : Ooyari Ashito, Music, Slice of life, an unusual Comics style (for RPG connoisseurs, it reminds me of Phantasy Star IV). All the ingredients are here for a very good moment :sacchan:

Edited by Canicheslayer

Yeah, Subahibi is uh.. quite the experience.
Down the Rabbit Hole I, especially nearing the end of it was the kind of writing/storytelling I really enjoy. Beautiful, inspiring and encouraging to explore oneself, at least for me. It's been a while since anything has inspired me to hit the library and start perusing poetry, philosophy and children's fables.
Where as Down the Rabbit Hole II was weird but interesting, It's My Own Invention made me straight up feel physically ill for a good part of it, on top of being generally unsettling. I was so mentally exhausted after that I need to take a break from the whole VN.  

...Which conveniently happened almost exactly when Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth came out. Hurray!
I previously predicted that it could be "BEST SHIT EVER(TM)", and while it's too soon to say how true that is I'm enjoying it immensely. Oh, how I missed to whole cast... Without any spoilers, it's heavier, more serious and tragic, but the lighter parts aren't completely gone. Like people grasp for happiness even in the darkest times, Slice-of-Life has its place in every story. One could even say it shines even brighter in these circumstances.
Utaware3 is pretty much more of the same, which is exactly what I wanted. I'm also really glad the localization has kept it's quality. It's a rare pleasure reading as joyful and lively text.

Just like everyone else and their grandmothers, I've spent the last week or so playing Subahibi. Juuuuust kidding. Subahibi is not the VN to play with your grandmother. Anyway, well... I absolutely loved it. At this point I tend to be skeptical at best when the Japanese side hypes up a VN to this extent, especially after Himawari and Dies Irae (neither of which were awful per se, but I would take the time spent reading them back if I could). But thankfully, Subahibi was right up my alley and I couldn't have been happier with it. Even knowing that I don't understand it on a deeper level or have the background to do so, there's so much I appreciate about this VN. On a surface level, the music is beautiful and the art is quite good - everyone looks cute, but I never got that sense that they were "moe" or that the style didn't fit the VN. And the clothing looks incredibly light and floofy, ahaha. The pacing and atmosphere, barring the first chapter, were so on point that it would be a damned good VN on that merit alone. It also had a great sense on when to roll out information. At any point in Subahibi, I both felt as though I was learning more and that more questions were popping up. It was incredibly thematically dense- it left a lot to think about even after it was done. At the beginning, or even in subsequent chapters, I didn't feel that the characters were great, but by the time the game was over I felt that I had gained new perspective on almost every last one of them. My complaints are really minimal, but I'm leaving them in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler

I really, really wish this VN had more subtlety in regards to its explicit rape. While much of the time those scenes are important, I don't think that they necessarily had to be that long and tiring. I can very understand people saying that this made them physically nauseous, and to a certain point I think it's admirable when a game can do that, but I don't think this is how it's done... I think the scenes with Kiyotaka, for instance, could be gotten rid of entirely, and I think the one with Kagami should have been far shorter.

Anyway, Subahibi is fantastic and I'm glad I got to read it in my native language (though, I may reread it in Japanese down the line). My favorite chapter was Jabberwocky, Yuki best girl, Yuuki best guy. And I would highly recommend this one to anyone who can stomach it's content. It's not for everyone, but I certainly think that it's worth a shot if it looks up your alley.

幸福に生きよ!

Well, Subahibi just like everyone else here although I'm still in the prologue though lol.

Anyway, as for the interface at least it's pretty standard so no complaining here, although to register the change in Config you must click OK first though which could be slightly inconvinience. Other than that, the graphic was okay with me here. As for my impression of prologue, it was more like Ikikoi only with all the cast were girls (And less violent obviously). I said this because Zakuro said that she had the maid role, while Tsukasa said that she had the role of younger sister and she also stated that her older twin (Kagami) did had role childhood friend - which is exactly like the role that 3/4 cast of Ikikoi's heroines take (It help that the same seiyuu was return in Ikikoi, with the exception of Zakuro's seiyuu).

Other than that, I like that Zakuro was talking about the division of the role in society and take an example in regard of her acquaintance who like to work on all of VN important aspect by himself so much that it caused delay for the release is like SCA-DI mock himself - because from what I gather he was like that especially in regard if Sakura no Uta, in the bathroom while wearing school swimsuit nonetheless when she was about to was Yuki's front. Other than those events, there's also the plot which is searching for Summer Triangle which would be important in prologue end but of course it would be irrelevant to the overall plot of Subahibi.

Oh, if you want short summary of Subahibi here I would say that I enjoy this so far, although I rarely had time to play it fully though. I'll try to see through of this VN even if it take months.

Edited by littleshogun

Finished Quartett! (Yes, I'm on fire)

18228.jpg

As I expected It, I REALLY loved this VN. One of my best readings of 2017 :sacchan:

+ Ooyari's work is stunning and awesome.

+ Excellent OST.

+ Memorable presentation (comics style...or something like that).

+ The casting is great too. And the girls are very cute (even if Charlotte is physically too loli or too childish for me).

+ The final (after you finished the three routes) is poetic and very beautiful.

- Charlotte's route is clearly the best. The other two are correct but not as polished or interesting.

- No route for May, Klarissa or Signina :pyaa:

- If you hate Slice of Life style, You shall not pass (because the global story is not very original and/or full of twists) :tears:

Edited by Canicheslayer

Reading Nocturnal Illusion and it's a perfectly standard 90's horror VN. It's cool that each girl has a character arc giving a episodic feel to it, but it's funny how conveniently the MC gets items.

Edit: Finished it and the ending might be where the novel's age show the most. It wouldn't be accepted today.

Edited by onorub

Subahibi. Still at the prologue, but so far nothing really annoys me, which is definitely a rare plus recently. Nothing interesting really happened so far, but the foreshadowing is clearly there, and it looks interesting.

On the other hand, I already managed to spoil myself a bit (I'm being me, yeah), though it's probably pretty light. I mean, after I watched one or two playthrough videos because I wasn't sure whether I installed the patch correctly, YouTube suddenly started showing me related recommendations on the main page, and one of them, I think, might have a pretty spoilerous thumbnail. Well, I'll have to be more careful from now on.