What are you playing?

5 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Sigh. Still half of this VN before me. And everybody says that C/D routes are even more boring. ... argh. I don't want. But I must. I won't drop this title. Lord, have mercy.

Huh? I don't remember anyone claiming that routes C and D would be more boring than route B (That's barely possible anyway). :huh:

I thought it would be common knowledge by now that route B is the big slough everyone has to wade through...

It definitely gets better afterwards, especially in D.

I think I'm just about the only person who enjoyed route B's calmer tone (although I didn't like the characters), even though I normally hate moege and SoL stuff lol.

Replaying Ever17, the Sora route of course. Someone ported the translation to the PSP version recently apparently so I pirated an ISO today and got to playing. I'd already started a replay on PC as the story starts on 05/01/2017, so it was an occasion.

The route and Sora are both as beautiful as I remember. I was afraid it would not hold up after reading many more VNs (E17 was my third VN ever after 999 and Virtue's Last Reward).

On 05.05.2017 at 10:41 PM, granit said:

Throw all expectations you have out the window, and you won't be so easily disappointed. When you first started it was exciting because you had no expectations and it was all new. (Taking a break helps too. )

Well, to be honest, it's a bit hard to do. I do try to be as open-minded as I can when I start things, but as long as I know at least something about a VN I try, there will still be some expectations, good or bad. I guess, maybe it just comes naturally when my expectations aren't met too many times. (edit: :vinty: sorry)

On 05.05.2017 at 10:41 PM, granit said:

Oh, and try to not score VNs. Scoring each of my VNs has made me almost always consciously aware of the good and bad points of a VN as I'm reading it, which means I can't just take it as I see it. Rather, I'm basically analyzing it as I'm reading it, which for me really can ruin the experience.

Actually, it's works more or less in the opposite way for me. I like to analyze things I read, and it often helps me notice some good points about them I would've missed otherwise. And as long as there are many such good things in a VN, it's much easier to forgive its flaws. Also, the things I described started happening to me long after I created a vndb account and started rating VNs.

Edited by Dreamysyu

12 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

You forgot to say "away" again.

Yeah, thanks for pointing out my mistake. I don't know where I got that phrase. :vinty: Well, I have little experience in expressing my thoughts in English, and fails like that are unavoidable.

Edit. By the way, "blown away" was not what I was try trying to say. More or less, the opposite.

Edited by Dreamysyu

Going through 新妻LOVELY×CATION, but way too many program bugs so it's on hold right now.

I feel LOVELY×CATION 2 story and characters are more natural and real though, Yuki route of the new LC is still good but just a little bit unnatural...

I mean which logical adult would choose to marry a high school student no mater how much you love her, especially for her interest if you really care. If it's another game I probably won't mind about such setting, but this is a pretty realistic love simulation series where characters are supposed to be really nice people...

Edited by syfjhz22

Just finished rereading G Senjou no Maou. I lol'd at how the game manipulates you to bring out the twists sometimes.

I'm starting the Muv Luv series soon. I heard that while Extra and Unlimited aren't that good, they enhance the experience when you read Alternative. So I guess I'll read the first two first and see how it goes. My boredom resistance is not bad, so I can usually put up with anything that isn't utter shit. Hopefully the time investment will be worth it in the end.

Still reading Steins;Gate, which is  absolutely amazing but I cannot for the life of me get the ending I want through effort (which I find is normally possible with other VNs), the text choices must be completely cryptic!? I think I'll just resort to a route guide on the next run through. 😊

15 minutes ago, Trickay said:

Still reading Steins;Gate, which is  absolutely amazing but I cannot for the life of me get the ending I want through effort (which I find is normally possible with other VNs), the text choices must be completely cryptic!? I think I'll just resort to a route guide on the next run through. 😊

Steins;Gate is more like a kinetic novel. When the time comes, you just need to make one choice to get an ending. It works like that for 3 of the 6 endings

Currently on a second route for Hatsukoi 1/1. I was planning on going to Chrono Clock next but with the news of it getting uncensored I might just wait til that is available before I start it. 

Finished all four of the initial Chrono Clock routes, getting started on Miu now.

• The only one of those four routes I didn't much care for was Misaki's, which is unfortunate since I think Misaki herself is probably my favorite character in the game. Her route just didn't do much for me, somehow. Most of the time, when people talk about forced drama, I tend to perceive the same content as just plain old drama and have no problem with it, but Misaki's route really did feel forced to me. It was also pretty clearly unedited way back when I read it, which kinda sucked.
  • I played DD after that, and ended up taking a long break from the game because DD wasn't really all that appealing to me, and since I had a lot of other stuff going on at the time. When I came back, however, I quite enjoyed the rest of DD's route, even her ending (which I think raised a few people's hackles).
  • After that, I knocked out (up?) Michiru, who provided a pleasant surprise of a route for me—the character dynamic in her route isn't one I recall seeing before in any VN, and I quite liked it. Also, I've come to grips with the fact that little sister characters are a turn-on for me. At last, a VN fetish I'm on board with. Yay?
  • Finally, I picked up Makoto (I was saving hottest girl for last), who once again provided an enjoyable route, especially towards the end. It wasn't stellar or deep or anything, but it was a fun ride with a fun heroine.

I gotta say, Chrono Clock really has very different heroine personalities, compared to most VNs. I keep mentally contrasting it with Princess Evangile: they're both clearly moege trading on their heroines' appeal, but where every girl in Princess Evangile felt she'd come straight out of a cookie cutter, every heroine in Chrono Clock has a lot of distinctive flair. Whether it's the tsundere being 95% dere instead of your typical 95% tsun, or the little sister being a demure, ladylike, blind girl with a roaring libido, they just all feel special.

I also think the translation did an excellent job of capturing those characters' uniqueness. In spite of all the flak it's taken, and in spite of me not really enjoying some of the decisions they made (particularly the frequent use of British English, and not just by DD), I think this is a pretty damn good TL, and that's making it even more of a pleasure to read.

I'm looking forward to getting through Miu and Cro and finally putting the game to bed, after having stalled it for a couple months.

Got my hands on S;G 0! Yeeeeeah! It wasn't easy buying this, but damn, now I don't have to worry about being left out once I finish the first Steins;Gate, or rather, before I get the "True End" anyway, since Zero takes place prior to the events of the True End, sort of.

Now if only the PC version of Chaos;Head Noah would finish its translation so I can get more out of the SciADV series. I'm sure that would take 4-5 more years. Sigh. Oh well.

Edited by LemiusK

25 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

???

I played both and I'm not seeing it.

Spoiler

Really? What about Kotomi? A forgotten childhood friend, that reunite by coincidence. The story behind her is the same. Gets neglected by parents because of work, gets into an argument, on her birthday, the boy did not show up, she gets angry at her parents and they die too (although not the same way, that is the only different thing about it xD )

Edited by Zidan209

7 minutes ago, Zidan209 said:
  Hide contents

Really? What about Kotomi? A forgotten childhood friend, that reunite by coincidence. The story behind her is the same. Gets neglected by parents because of work, gets into an argument, on her birthday, the boy did not show up, she gets angry at her parents and they die too (although not the same way, that is the only different thing about it xD )

Wow, she was my favourite route and I still didn't see it.

But now that you mention it... They're such different lasses, though. :wafuu:

2 minutes ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Wow, she was my favourite route and I still didn't see it.

But now that you mention it... They're such different lasses, though. :wafuu:

Spoiler

You mean that your favorite was Sachi or Kotomi? None of them really seem like the best gurls in both of the VNs :Keepo: