What are you playing?

Finished Air.
Spreadsheet:

Spoiler

P2Z8RIX.png

I really liked it. Summer was awesome, and I was a little dissapointed that plot threads from it was not prolongated into Air, but Air in itself was a nice, self contained story about 

Spoiler

mother loosing her daughter to dementia

Yukito and his whole role in that chapter was really unnecessary though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And I stalled 11Eyes, because I needed new stimulus. I started Aoishiro. And I like it very much. Interesting cast, with protag-lady, who has slightly complicated character, great art, fantastic music, great thechnical aspects, and intriguing amosphere and story.
Above all it's all ages and yuri. I'm really hyped up. ^^

3 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

I started Aoishiro. And I like it very much. Interesting cast, with protag-lady, who has slightly complicated character, great art, fantastic music, great thechnical aspects, and intriguing amosphere and story.
Above all it's all ages and yuri. I'm really hyped up. ^^

I really liked that when I played it last year. Had a great atmosphere and interesting characters. Individual routes were a bit repetitive though.

Read like two minutes of Higanbana. This thing so far is the perfect antithesis to people who hate the original versions of Ryukishi07 works- the music drew me in from the first second, and the 4:3 photo CGs perfectly complemented the barren setting. The main menu is incredibly chilling for something so simple, holy shit.

Playing the YU-NO remake. Not sure if I'd even call this a visual novel, as it feels more like a full fledged point and click adventure game, but hey - let's go by the vndb listing, I guess. :pyaa:

So far, I'm enjoying it immensely. My main motivation to buy the game was the infamous flowchart and obtuseness of the overall systems, and it definitely isn't disappointing on that front. I'm making steady progress along Mitsuki's route (?), but I already missed so many branches with absolutely no idea how I even did that, that just thinking about replaying is hilarious to me already. Can't wait to get into the flag fuckery!

The remake itself is great - the text and systems the way they were, with VAs, OST and art remade. I know a lot of people have reservations about the art, but I like it a lot myself. Eriko might look a bit better in the original, but I prefer just about everyone else in the remake's art, especially Mio. Also, blinking CGs, wee!

Other than that, I've also started the remake of EVE Burst Error, which hilariously enough seems to work on the exact same engine as YU-NO's prologue. Let's see how many parallels I will draw between these - so far I prefer YU-NO much more.

Currently multi reading Da Capo 3 and Pygmalion...

I didn't really understand the purpose of the Da Capo 3 prologue, since it felt more like a trailer for Da Capo 2 just with cheaper and more slutty heroines,

Spoiler

but the actual main story is then located in Hogwarts with the protagonist being more or less the VN version of Harry Potter. Granted, it's actually an interesting premise, although the heroines were somewhat underwhelming so far. But that doesn't explain why the prologue had pretty much nothing to do with the main story. I mean, isn't the whole purpose of a prologue to give the reader an introduction to the story and not just showing... random stuff.

Considering Pygmalion, the prologue reminded me a lot of Tokyo Babel: Clueless girl, thrown back and forth between the real and an imaginary world, and no attempt to give even the most basic of explanations.

Spoiler

Such as, why are the oh so fanatical doll hunters worshipping an actual DOLL in their hideout, and why are they supposed to be the good guys in the first place. So far they didn't appear to be anything else than racist cold-blooded murderers who think not being 'purely-human' is enough justification to be killed. And I think I remember similar stuff about a very dark time in Europe just about 80 years ago. And if the dolls and eidolons are the 'angels', then what makes that the doll hunters?

I think so far the VN wanted to trigger those feelings in the reader to appear kind of thought-provoking, however it's really about time to give some solid explanations, since currently it gets more and more unrealistic why Mina should ally with the doll hunters instead of just taking that nice pistol she got from them and direct it at themselves.

2 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

I didn't really understand the purpose of the Da Capo 3 prologue, since it felt more like a trailer for Da Capo 2 just with cheaper and more slutty heroines,

Reveal hidden contents

but the actual main story is then located in Hogwarts with the protagonist being more or less the VN version of Harry Potter. Granted, it's actually an interesting premise, although the heroines were somewhat underwhelming so far. But that doesn't explain why the prologue had pretty much nothing to do with the main story. I mean, isn't the whole purpose of a prologue to give the reader an introduction to the story and not just showing... random stuff.

No comment for Pygmalion there, although for Da Capo 3 it's probably for promotion like I said earlier at this thread (I mean for some old fan who think the location must be in Hatsunejima ie hardcore fan). After all, some people will always associate Da Capo with Hatsunejima although I heard that the prologue function will be explained on Himeno route.

As for real prologue, read the first side story because it's decribe the events when Kiyotaka entering London and introduction to Weather Vane character. That's all.

20 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

No comment for Pygmalion there, although for Da Capo 3 it's probably for promotion like I said earlier at this thread (I mean for some old fan who think the location must be in Hatsunejima ie hardcore fan). After all, some people will always associate Da Capo with Hatsunejima although I heard that the prologue function will be explained on Himeno route.

As for real prologue, read the first side story because it's decribe the events when Kiyotaka entering London and introduction to Weather Vane character. That's all.

So the prologue is actually just promotion for Da Capo 2 while the real prologue is hidden in some easy to miss side story?! Uh hu... :blink:

Around 40% done with the YU-NO remake.... this VN is nuts! Each time I think I've gotten the hang of things, the VN just laughs in my face and just does something completely different. I'm enjoying the gameplay way too much, haha. And the story is shaping up to be pretty great too - it is going places, places I like. :sacchan:

Unfortunately I won't be able to play in the couple of next days... not sure how I'm going to survive that. YU-NO is like that unnecessarily obtuse timeloop puzzle game I secretly always wanted, and I can't wait to get back to it. :pyaa:

19 hours ago, Dreamysyu said:

I'm going to start Himawari soon. Hoping for the best, waiting for the worst...

Also, is the author of this VN actually a real life scientist? If so, it's going to be interesting to see a sci-fi VN written by a person who actually understands what he writes about.

As for that matter, I don't think G.O. himself was real life scientist although I wouldn't be so sure about that. What I knew is that to find out that Himawari was good or not, it's up to you to decide later.

Edited by littleshogun

16 minutes ago, littleshogun said:

As for that matter, I don't think G.O. himself was real life scientist although I wouldn't be so sure about that.

I think it's mentioned in this post on reddit. Not sure if it's true or not. If it's true, it's actually a big plus for me, because I generally prefer more "realistic" sci-fi than all that stuff with lasers going "pew-pew" in the open space. Stuff like Ever 17 is fine too in its own regard, but it requires too much suspension of disbelief sometimes.

Well, if E17 was too much for you in that regard, be prepared to be heavily disappointed. Especialy if you're looking for a deep, coherent, massive sf plot elements, deep interesting human/humane characters and/or intersting, engaging story. Himawari have non of this.

Can't wait for your opinion ;)

22 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

Well, if E17 was too much for you in that regard, be prepared to be heavily disappointed. Especialy if you're looking for a deep, coherent, massive sf plot elements, deep interesting human/humane characters and/or intersting, engaging story. Himawari have non of this.

Can't wait for your opinion ;)

Well, I hope you're wrong.:D

18 minutes ago, edwd2 said:

anyone else excited for istoria tomorrow? i see potential with this title after playing the trial and i hope lucle will deliver once more.

I really enjoyed their last, very much looking forward to it. 

9 hours ago, the_dive said:

Finished D.C. 2 Dearest Marriage. Pretttttyyy goood

Reveal hidden contents

Man they really almost went the Clannad route there. Goddam.

It was a very touching story. T_T

I finally started Majikoi A-1. I started Benkei and Sayaka's route, both times I was roadblocked by Miyako "bad" ends. They were actually quite satisfying and dulled my motivation to load it back and and progress properly. I mean I probably will eventually, but the main thing I enjoyed about this VN was just seeing the gang again. I don't really care too much about non Miyako pairings cuz I'm an OTP fag, but I still read most routes because I like the characters and universe as a whole.

I'm sloooowly an quitely crawling through Tokyo Babel.

MAN... This a pian to read... so much pointless brawling... the setting and concepts behind the plot vaguely reminds me of SMTII and Angel Sanctuary by Kaori Yuki (unfortunately that manga was mile above this mess).

I hope Pygmalion is better than this.

(I can't understand why the fighting scenes here are considered to be good, maybe those scenes just don't connect with me anymore...)

Edited by WinterfuryZX

I've decided to stall reading Ageha's route in Kono Oozora based on other users feedback. 

I'm going to start Steins Gate tonight. As someone that has watched the anime is there a preferred route order, or should I just go for it and embrace the chaos?

Can't wait for more Karisu! 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Trickay said:

I've decided to stall reading Ageha's route in Kono Oozora based on other users feedback. 

I'm going to start Steins Gate tonight. As someone that has watched the anime is there a preferred route order, or should I just go for it and embrace the chaos?

Hmm... Don't think about routes or walkthroughs for now.

Play the game through once, experiment a bit, play through a couple more times. Then you can start thinking about routes.

And don't you fret! There's a snowball's chance in hell that you'll stumble upon the true route on any of these initial playthroughs.

Finished 2 vns and a route in Majikoi A-2 (Hegemon/Seiso : very nice and the H-scenes with Hegemon were very funny).

- Da Capo 3 R X-Rated : Good. what I like : atmosphere ; setting ; Aoi or Rikka ; the Sakura conclusion ; a solid OST ; a lot of beautiful CGs ; Himeno's route. Having said that, I was expetting better (Perfectible Story ; no solid and endearing group of friends like DC2 ; bad H-scenes ; a donkan protagonist...again).

7,5/10

Girl ranking : Ricca > Aoi = Rurika > Himeno = Tomoe > Charles > Sara > Elizabeth

Route ranking : Himeno >> Ricca = Aoi >> Sara >> Charles

- 11eyes : Very good. What I like : Excellent Story ; very nice Crossover system ; efficient OST. What I like less : some tasteless H-scenes ; the fantrad needs a lot of improvement ; Yuka, the emo protagonist or Yukiko are almost insufferable during the first hours.

8/10

Girl Ranking : Misuzu = Kukuri > Yukiko > Saiko = Shiori > Yuka

Oh and before I forget... my girl and route Rankings for Chrono Clock (7,25/10) !!!

Girl Ranking (even if ALL the girls are interesting) : Miu (I LOVE genius characters) > D.D. (her character design is so cute)> Misaki > Michiru = Cro = Makoto

Route Ranking : Miu (unquestionably, It's the best part of the game) > Makoto >> D.D. (stupid ending) = Misaki = Cro (the last part/third is a bit mediocre) >> Michiru (a fairly good conclusion but all the rest is bad)

Edited by Canicheslayer

9 hours ago, Trickay said:

Recommend you to:

1. start a new save periodically, and
  2. maybe check in for further advice after you finish your first route if you find yourself confused (I know I did)

Have fun! I first played it long after I'd already watched the anime, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

11 hours ago, Trickay said:

Most of the endings are short offshoots of the main line.  The

2 routes that end the main line are Kurisu's and Mayuri's

Just use a  FAQ for the true ending.  Everyone does.  It's so damn obscure.  Other than that, whenever Okabe says "I should make a call" to do something important, but doesn't actually do it, save.  One of the choices will get you an ending, the other will keep going.

Edited by Nandemonai
WTF are you doing, Fuwa?

16 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Thanks Fred and Nandemonai, I'll make sure to save when I hear that, I guess the phone means branches are not as obvious as the conventional 'pick an answer ', which is pretty awesome, cannot wait. 

16 hours ago, Mr Poltroon said:

Hmm... Don't think about routes or walkthroughs for now.

Play the game through once, experiment a bit, play through a couple more times.

Thanks, I tend to make sure my first play through its blind, more fun that way! I think when playing FSN I spent more time at the tiger dojo than anywhere else! 🙂 

One more question, I'm reading the JAST version and it looks amazing, what's all the fuss about with the new steam version? Other than HD visuals, apparently... 

Edited by Trickay
Accidental quote, cannot remove on phone. :(