What are you playing?

On 1/2/2017 at 7:44 PM, Noble Phantasm said:

Currently playing Tsukihime (not the remake lol). 

The graphics are like sand in my eyes, but as a Type Moon fan, I must grind through it!!

Hope it will be worth it lol

You could just wait for the remake...they are almost out of fate spin-offs to milk after all. I'm sure they'll get around to it eventually. Watch them announce it on April 1st of this year. The joke will be that no one will believe it's a real announcement. 

1 minute ago, kyrt said:

You could just wait for the remake...they are almost out of fate spin-offs to milk after all.

No, no, see, now they're moving to anime.  They can re-milk everything related to Fate that way.  [1]  [2]  [3]  Guess who's gonna watch all of them?  :sachi:

I'm honestly not going to wait.  I don't care if Tsukihime looks like crap, I'm gonna read it  :saber:

Progressed like crazy in Root Double.

Almost 30 hours in.

Spoiler

I'm a few chapters into Root D. I'm currently at Ena's memories. Quite enjoying this route so far. There's just a few too many coincidences in the cast's backstories for my taste (Watase was the rescue worker who rescued Jun, Watase saw Communicator A who was the one who killed Ena's dad etc.) but it isn't a very big deal. The pacing feels like it has slowed down a bit and Subject N's behavior is too fishy. I quite like the ethical themes posed between Natsuhiko and Watase, and their current relationship. I am quite looking forward to where this goes after all malice is erased. 

21 hours ago, kyrt said:

You could just wait for the remake...they are almost out of fate spin-offs to milk after all. I'm sure they'll get around to it eventually. Watch them announce it on April 1st of this year. The joke will be that no one will believe it's a real announcement. 

The remake will take like years more to come, gonna have to do it now....

They are still going to milk HF movies, FGO anime (which im pretty sure is going to happen), and the kaleid liner series

Finished Root Double.

Spoiler

I liked it, but it wasn't on the level of Ever17/Remember11 for me. In the Nakazawa VN hierarchy, it'd place in the middle between Never7 and Remember11 for me. I enjoyed it but I think its atmosphere was pretty weak and I think it could have taken its ethical dilemmas further. Watase turning his back on Q simply because he learns that Q was to blame for the Rokumei City Arson and the gas explosion felt a bit weak to me, He's just like "Oooooooooh, seriously? Welp, fuck Q then." Also, Watase seems to be more remorseful about doing illegal things than he is about the lives of the people who died in LABO. I could surprisingly sympathize with Watase, both his actions and motivations. I was surprisingly murky on if Watase was really that wrong all along, or about the "Hurt one to save a million" thing. I don't know if they were aiming for ambiguity, but I like that that is the end result regardless. Natsuhiko was a great character as well. Loved the twist in the last few lines (it more or less proves that the "Senses Sympathy System" you were using throughout the game belonged to a consciousness born within LABO and thus that you were seeing as that thing throughout the entire game), and called the phantom Yuuri. Didn't like that Subject N was Nagisa, pulling that "ooooop, she ain't dead, she TOO was captured!" doesn't really stick well with me. Nagisa seemed that she aged too little as well (physically). I liked all routes, my favorite was probably the ending of B and most of C. Decent batch of characters, and blissfully no romance. Favorites overall were Watase, Natsuhiko and perhaps Miyako and Yuuri (just because she's so endearing). Felt like there was too little mystery to it by the end of Root D, though. I can see that it culminated in a climax between characters, but much of the mystery of Root A was solved by Root B and C (plus early Root D or wherever you learn that Yuuri was a test subject). It isn't a sudden drop-off and a blue-balling like Remember11 at least, which did have a purpose, but it still did not feel all that cathartic. Willing to give I/O another try sometime now. Didn't read the Xtend stuff yet. Is there a video that compiles all unlockable epilogue scenes? I think I only saw Tachibana's, lol

I picked up Tenkiame and posted in the "what are you reading: un-TLed" thread, but it's a bit much for me to just relax over, so to avoid frying my brain when I'm trying to take it easy, I decided to pick up a TLed game as well, and thus I finally started Yurirei. Initial thoughts:

• I love the art style. It's a lot less generically moe than most of what I read, and I think it's beautiful.
  • I also love the soundtrack. I know at least some is done by the same people who did the Gahkthun and Inganock soundtracks (unsurprising, given it's all Liarsoft), which are two of my favorites, but it's a completely different style than those. The upbeat, catchy pop-rock tracks are particular standouts.
  • The initial motivation honestly feels like a pretty lame hook, but I forgive it because the plot that falls out of it is super cute.

Haven't had a lot of time with the characters yet so I can't say much there, but I'm really happy about the direction this is going and looking forward to playing more.

13 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I picked up Tenkiame and posted in the "what are you reading: un-TLed" thread, but it's a bit much for me to just relax over, so to avoid frying my brain when I'm trying to take it easy, I decided to pick up a TLed game as well, and thus I finally started Yurirei. Initial thoughts:

• I love the art style. It's a lot less generically moe than most of what I read, and I think it's beautiful.
  • I also love the soundtrack. I know at least some is done by the same people who did the Gahkthun and Inganock soundtracks (unsurprising, given it's all Liarsoft), which are two of my favorites, but it's a completely different style than those. The upbeat, catchy pop-rock tracks are particular standouts.
  • The initial motivation honestly feels like a pretty lame hook, but I forgive it because the plot that falls out of it is super cute.

Haven't had a lot of time with the characters yet so I can't say much there, but I'm really happy about the direction this is going and looking forward to playing more.

Kindred Spirits is just a simple, feel-good VN. There aren't enough of those, to be honest. With almost all other VNs,  you either hop aboard the drama train or you get mountains of moe and/or ecchi practically shoved into your face. Kindred Spirits is interested in none of that, and it makes for a pretty great change of pace.

Edited by Decay

Majikoi A2.

Very uneven.

First route, Monshiro was one of the worst and most boring Majikoi routes ever. Absolutely nothing, hard streched few hours of completly nothing.
Second route, Seiso. My god, Takahiro is a god of light tonned chuuni. Amazing first half of the route, Seiso is great charatcer, and all those fights and 'power levels' and intrugues are just really god and fun to read. Especially considering the fact that fights are really short and not overlly detailed. Can't wait for more, hope this will keep it's quality level.

On 08/01/2017 at 10:09 AM, Vorathiel said:

But is it good? Care to say anything more about it?

Oh it was good. My least favorite Ryukishi story, but it's because the other ones set the bar so high.

Anyways, finally started YU-NO. Ayumi has the best chemistry with the MC so far and it's disturbing.

Update: Ayumi's route gotta be my biggest guilty pleasure of all time. That VN sold me on a guy screwing his stepmother, goddamnit!

2nd Update: A "gameplay" combination between YU-NO and Fate/Stay Night would be the greatest VN of all time gameplay-wise. (in-between route puzzles + high amount of bad ends)

Edited by onorub

2 hours ago, Slowpoke said:

Started Cross Channel.

Starting off kinda slow and boring imo. Hoping it picks up.

I here there is some twist or something. It cant all be some pervert trying to get into his classmates pants.

Eyyy, long time no see  o/

I haven't exactly heard people complaining about CC being boring  lol  I certainly didn't think it was.  It likes to pretend it's a sane, generic VN at first, but it's really not.

I'd say that it's almost good that CC has deceived you two, but that deception has almost made you not experience the real Cross Channel at all, so I'm not sure how to feel about that, heh. The initial twist is pretty widely spoiled and I think even the VNDB description spoils it. It's pretty hard to get people to play it if they aren't spoiled on it, because it's a hard sell otherwise.

2 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

Guess I'll have to give it another try lol

I'd recommend doing so.  Even with ixrec's TL, it's still quite good, and definitely worth reading.  I really can't talk about my favorite parts without spoiling them, but it's actually pretty complex and very interesting.

If Taichi being an asshole turned you off, just know that there's a reason he's like that, and it is actually addressed in a meaningful way.  He's kind of a major turn-off for people expecting a...more tolerable protagonist  lol

A good thing to keep in mind when reading Cross Channel is "things aren't what they seem".

18 minutes ago, Zenophilious said:

I'd recommend doing so.  Even with ixrec's TL, it's still quite good, and definitely worth reading.  I really can't talk about my favorite parts without spoiling them, but it's actually pretty complex and very interesting.

If Taichi being an asshole turned you off, just know that there's a reason he's like that, and it is actually addressed in a meaningful way.  He's kind of a major turn-off for people expecting a...more tolerable protagonist  lol

A good thing to keep in mind when reading Cross Channel is "things aren't what they seem".

I've heard of  (CC spoilers, I think?)

Spoiler

the stuff about a "cycle", I think it was a week long? And that the protag was addicted to rape and was thus kept away from society? Or something. I recall that the protag hallucinates about raping one of the heroines but that's just about the only interesting thing I recall about the whole thing. 

Felt it was too boring and dropped it before the first cycle was over. Welp. 

8 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

Eyyy, long time no see  o/

I haven't exactly heard people complaining about CC being boring  lol  I certainly didn't think it was.  It likes to pretend it's a sane, generic VN at first, but it's really not.

I mean the boring part could be that it seems like a generic VN at first lol BUT I know its not, I just gotta stick wid it.

I like Taichi at least, he's funny to me lol

14 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

I've heard of  (CC spoilers, I think?)

Reveal hidden contents

the stuff about a "cycle", I think it was a week long? And that the protag was addicted to rape and was thus kept away from society? Or something. I recall that the protag hallucinates about raping one of the heroines but that's just about the only interesting thing I recall about the whole thing. 

Felt it was too boring and dropped it before the first cycle was over. Welp. 

Spoiler

Won't elaborate on that, sorry.

He's not a rapist.  He's a perverted piece of shit that sexually harasses pretty much every girl he comes into contact with, but he's not a rapist.

All of the characters are supposedly too abnormal to function in normal society, according to their government, and are kept in a special school.  Taichi is hardly unusual in that sense, since they're all there for a reason.

I'd seriously suggest at least reading the first route and seeing if you're still interested.  I really doubt you'll be able to put it down at that point.

13 hours ago, Slowpoke said:

I mean the boring part could be that it seems like a generic VN at first lol BUT I know its not, I just gotta stick wid it.

I like Taichi at least, he's funny to me lol

Yeah, if you don't care about him being a massive jerk all the time (a decent amount of people don't seem to be able to get over that), he's pretty funny.  I really liked his absurd brand of humor, it came out of left field every once in a while and made me laugh just because of how silly his jokes and bits could be.

Oh yeah, I'm now moving to Rance VI.  I keep losing the will to reread F/sn  >.<  I'll finish it again eventually, I swear, I just really want more Rance.