What are you playing?

On 12/14/2016 at 2:17 PM, kilicool64 said:

Both sides are, really. IIRC, Satoru's side of it (which must be triggered first) happens on the third day, but I'm not quite sure about that. If you get an ending around the halfway point of Satoru's route that's basically a sequence of really weird and surreal events, that's the one I'm talking about. Trust me, you'll know what I mean when you get it.

Fourth day. ;)
And...it wasn't that surreal. :P
I must say that I somehow figured out 
HEAVY SPOILERS. REALLY.

Spoiler

that it was whole 'area' that was teleported through space time, with only consciousness remain at the same place. I thought of that probably around when Satoru noticed the same Moon position.

and from that point on everything really felt into it's place for me. And I add - this is the first time in vns, when I made a right suggestion about some plot twist, or plot revelations/progressions, when I felt satisfaction instead of let down at how bad that 'twist' was.
What a great title. Nakazawa Takumi is probably the best VN writter I have encounter. (Uchikoshi seems to be shitty though. ;p)

It's time for finish this title. I have a feeling that I wont be dissapointed at lack of ending, that everybody is talking about.

On 12/17/2016 at 1:36 AM, Funyarinpa said:

After thinking on it for a few months, I think The House In Fata Morgana is my favorite VN of all time alongside Virtue's Last Reward. VLR on its own is impeccable, especially its story, themes and twists, but it's flawed (shitty art, a few kinda contrived points). The worst thing about it is that it left on a very intense cliffhanger and its sequel Zero Time Dilemma did not deliver on that cliffhanger at all. So I can't recommend/praise it in very high spirits now, knowing it'll be letting down anyone who reads it.

It's worse than that.  The cliffhanger was declared non-canon.  Reading between the lines, it's clear to me that Zero Time Dilemma was a very troubled production.  It almost didn't get made at all.  And the creator has apparently admitted he had a script for ZTD written alongside VLR, but that he threw it out and rewrote it.  And then he said that the cliffhanger in VLR "was never intended to be canon", and also said that he regrets presenting it as if it were canon.

Well, I don't believe him.  I think that he had to throw out the script for ZTD because he couldn't have done it justice with the budget he was given.  I think he lied about the reason why he did it because, well, that's what you do.  I also think he lied about the cliffhanger not being canon because, well, that's what you do.

The truth as I see it, is that we were either going to get a half-hearted resolution to 999/VLR's story, or none at all, and the creator decided something is better than nothing.  It's still a disappointment.  I agree with you that VLR is a masterpiece, and it's a shame to see financial difficulties mar its legacy.

Just now, onorub said:

Started Rose Guns Days and i'm impressed at the balance between the fast-paced and slow-paced portions of the story. Both are just enough for you to not feel overwhelmed or bored, hooked so far.

I loved Rose Guns Days, its a really good read overall and the music is top notch, It only gets better in each additional season 

Finished Remember11. And what an ending it was! Last two scenes were soooo creepily epic. 
I wasn't dissapointed, I figured up what was possible to figure up (without 100%, because I don't like grinding) by myself, and later read 'explanation theories' in the net. Some of them great, some of them shitty. I'm glad that this game ended where it ended. 9.1/10. Much, much better than Ever17. I would even say that R11 is top tier VN, alongside S;G, MLA, I/O, Kara 2, FataMorgana and Majikoi. Love it.

And now, after 10 hours of R11, it's time for some moeblobing with ugly lolis - Himawari. :P  Sunday well spent. 

Just finished the Setsuna end of Lilith's route, after reaching Lilith's true ending the night before, which were the last two I had left.  That was a good ride  :sachi:

I have to say, it's cemented my love of chuuni.  I already knew that I had a strong tendency to prefer that type of story over slice of life or drama, but I can say for sure that I love it now.  The fight scenes got me so amped up (I have to say, the excellent music and better than average visual effects really helped with this), and I wished that they lasted longer, honestly.  My favorites would have to be

Spoiler

Setsuna fighting Oshiba Hagane, and Setsuna fistfighting Astaroth towards the end of Lilith's route.

I found the overall setting extremely enjoyable.  The focus on Christian mythology was pretty refreshing, and I was able to appreciate it a lot more because I could understand the references and the origins of the characters.  After reading Tokyo Babel, I'm highly interested in other VNs that have a strong focus on religion.  I have to say, though, I didn't really like Tokyo Babel (the physical place) all that much.  Having a school setting felt kind of ridiculous, and it didn't really contribute much IMO, aside from the very beginning.  It almost seemed like it was added in there just because the school setting is a staple of VNs and anime.

I actually liked the sad endings quite a bit more than the happy ones.  They seemed to fit the tone and the state of the world a lot better than the happy endings.  The two that stuck out to me were Raziel's bad end and Sorami's normal end.  Sorami's bad end was also pretty sad, but I thought it lacked the impact of the other two, and as such, wasn't as appealing to me.  Raziel's was probably one of the most heartrending endings I've read in a while that didn't involve some sort of violent, bloody death.  It was a bit of a punch in the gut after getting attached to the characters.  Sorami's normal end was also pretty depressing, even if it was pretty easy to guess what was going to happen based on the choice you're given and Setsuna's dilemma.  Raziel's true end was the "happy" ending I liked the most, because it felt the least like one.

Oh, yeah, Samael best girl  :sacchan:

21 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

Just finished the Setsuna end of Lilith's route, after reaching Lilith's true ending the night before, which were the last two I had left.  That was a good ride  :sachi:

I have to say, it's cemented my love of chuuni.  I already knew that I had a strong tendency to prefer that type of story over slice of life or drama, but I can say for sure that I love it now.  The fight scenes got me so amped up (I have to say, the excellent music and better than average visual effects really helped with this), and I wished that they lasted longer, honestly.  My favorites would have to be

Reveal hidden contents

Setsuna fighting Oshiba Hagane, and Setsuna fistfighting Astaroth towards the end of Lilith's route.

I found the overall setting extremely enjoyable.  The focus on Christian mythology was pretty refreshing, and I was able to appreciate it a lot more because I could understand the references and the origins of the characters.  After reading Tokyo Babel, I'm highly interested in other VNs that have a strong focus on religion.  I have to say, though, I didn't really like Tokyo Babel (the physical place) all that much.  Having a school setting felt kind of ridiculous, and it didn't really contribute much IMO, aside from the very beginning.  It almost seemed like it was added in there just because the school setting is a staple of VNs and anime.

I actually liked the sad endings quite a bit more than the happy ones.  They seemed to fit the tone and the state of the world a lot better than the happy endings.  The two that stuck out to me were Raziel's bad end and Sorami's normal end.  Sorami's bad end was also pretty sad, but I thought it lacked the impact of the other two, and as such, wasn't as appealing to me.  Raziel's was probably one of the most heartrending endings I've read in a while that didn't involve some sort of violent, bloody death.  It was a bit of a punch in the gut after getting attached to the characters.  Sorami's normal end was also pretty depressing, even if it was pretty easy to guess what was going to happen based on the choice you're given and Setsuna's dilemma.  Raziel's true end was the "happy" ending I liked the most, because it felt the least like one.

Oh, yeah, Samael best girl  :sacchan:

Shame best girl didn't have her own route :komari: well, she did kind of in Lilliths route, but still~

When will this moe route in Himawari end? I'm around time when they went to school, Aries -> rocket, Ginga -> ring.

It's not very bad, it's just bad. Most of the time, I'm reading through my fingers, with sad facepalm of 'money not well spent'.
Aries is like somehow cute animal. Only eats and making noises. Not much human, let alone 'interesting chracter' about her. And I'm not into pets, so yeah - no points from me Aries, sorry, not sorry.
Asuka is slightly bossy choldhood friend. Bland. Boring. Nothing about her makes me wanna read more.
Ginga. He's fine. He's intersting, he's (sometimes) funny.
Humour here is mellow - when it works I get little smile on my face, when it not works...see start of this paragraph.
Story - not much of it for now. Nothing is happening. Not at all. Absolutely. Which is not a bad thing in intself, nice SoL are sometimes good to read.
And finally:
Aqua. Unfortunatelly I know about her much more than I needed - I know that she's the main character, that she has the most 'screen time', whole route from her perspective and that she's the most beloved "best grill ever" by many.
But... while not extreme, she's tsunderish, bossy (first interaction with protag was punching him in the guts for 'stress relieving' FFS!), unfunny and also - stupidly clumsy. And (probably) very smart. Which is contradiction in her situation. 

For every hanami drinking scene, which was fine and nice, probably the best depiction of drinking party I ever read in VNs, we got 'oniichan' scene, which was painfull to read, especially with that freaking choice, when we got 3 answers, but every one of them was the same incestous unfunny joke. Also - I just love when those fucking.... girls are making protag looks like incestous pedo rapists, and he (or any protag ever) can't say anything to defend himself from those false, degradating, stupid and frustrating accusations.

So yeah. You could probably feel my rage in this rant. But it's not that bad, it's still far from Sharin no Kuni levels (I watched a finalle from Touka route on youtube today. Worst. Piece. Of. Shit. Ever. Written. Nothing in that VN mae any sense.).
After those few hours with Himawari I would give it 6/10, but I know it will get much better and less moe. I just hope it really gets better because for know the worst thing about it is... characters. In character driven VN. Great.

I also don't like art in this. Looks like generic 'moeblob art factory - product #3352'. With ocasionally crooked faces (shy Aries have crossed eyes, bravo). Originall art wasn't much better, but it was slightly better. 

EDIT: Did I mention that this is...boring? Like really? 
Also - I slowly loosing hope, because writting is not good.
Scene when they were plaing deatrhmatch with toyguns - slight spoilers - protag spilled himawari seeds, Aqua tripped and protag...isntead of shooting her here and now, decided that he must run away. Because reasons. Or rather - for no reason at all. That was stupid and distracting. Little things, but enjoyment of every vn, (or movie), depends on how well it handle those little things. If they're baffling, then they're reader/watcher is disconnected from the story.

Edited by Vorathiel

16 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Shame best girl didn't have her own route :komari: well, she did kind of in Lilliths route, but still~

Right?  I loved that Samael got more screentime in Lilith's route.  I felt she was underutilized in the others, and when I finally got to Lilith's route, she truly shone and became my favorite character from the VN.

Gonna read Kikokugai before heading back to F/sn.

Finished Serawi's route at Kamidori, and well it's full of grinding once again. In fact I'd grind all my party to unlock stat cap there (Level 50 or 55), so hopefully they could be useful for 2nd game (Yes, I intend to do 2nd playthrough there). For the gameplay, it's definitely easier than Himegari if we talk about the dungeon because at least you could visit those freely (In Himegari there's stupid system that we need a rare item called coin to revisit the dungeon to grind). For the story, I think it at least quite serviceable although there's no twist like Emelita's though (I played Emelita's route first back there). Oh, forgot to said that Serawi's route battle was easier compared to Emelita's (There's late game enemies at Serawi's route which serve as Emelita's mid game enemies). I think that's all I could said in regard of Kamidori and for next route I'll play Yuela's.

On 18/12/2016 at 8:19 PM, onorub said:

Started Rose Guns Days and i'm impressed at the balance between the fast-paced and slow-paced portions of the story. Both are just enough for you to not feel overwhelmed or bored, hooked so far.

Finished Season 2 and

Spoiler

i found the lack of character deaths so far to be quite odd. I guess Higurashi and Umineko made me bloodthirsty.

3 hours ago, onorub said:

Finished Season 2 and

Hide contents

i found the lack of character deaths so far to be quite odd. I guess Higurashi and Umineko made me bloodthirsty.

Oh man.... you are just starting to get to where it gets real 

Finished up Aries and 2048(the space section) in Himawari, its been a surprisingly emotional ride.   

Edited by douggle

I've played the New Danganronpa V3 demo, and here are some quick impressions.

Story was nothing, for demo purposes - although it was so extremely on the nose about being a demo to a sequel that it ended up being quite charming. Kind of has me worried that if the full game gets rid of this and tries to play it straight, it might be left with no charm at all.

What could be judged by the demo though was the presentation, and I'm happy to say that Danganronpa has made the jump to 1080p really well. Art is crisp and everything is full of sleek animations - the class trials look more dynamic and exciting than never before. On a similar note, the OST is also superb. There is a lot of remixes of the familiar tunes, and they sound awesome.

What isn't better than before are the minigames, though. To be completely honest, they're absolute trash. It continues the Danganronpa 2 trend of putting nonsensical bloated minigames where there don't have to be any. The snowboarding is replaced with a similar and equally boring driving minigame, there's a variant on the classic colour bubble popping minigame, and then there is a terrible version of nonstop debate that expects you to pay attention to tree debates at the same time.

The characters themselves are thankfully pretty great, though. They all seem more ridiculous than ever, from a robot who acts like he grew up on tumblr, to a cocky but cowardly inventor girl, who's every single line is filled with such obscenities I was constantly impressed they managed to get it out without censoring it all. The waifu game is also very strong, from a moe dialect witch magician to a super maid... but unfortunately the main character isn't one of the great characters at all. She's trash. She comes across as even blander and more boring than the main characters from the first two games. The first two main characters at least had a reason to be a boring self-insert cardboard cutout - Naegi was just a regular dude who happened to get lucky, and Hinata came across as equally normal, not remembering his talent. Akamatsu, though, has a clearly defined talent. She's a pianist - probably a damn great one too, if she's in the collective of crazy people - but then where is the justification for her being painfully boring and normal. Why isn't she as quirky and interesting as everyone else? She'S extremelly disappointing, and I can only hope she gets better during the course of the story.

I will probably get the game when it comes out just to see how it turns out - but I wasn't really excited for it up until now, and the demo didn't do much to make me excited either.

21 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

Right?  I loved that Samael got more screentime in Lilith's route.  I felt she was underutilized in the others, and when I finally got to Lilith's route, she truly shone and became my favorite character from the VN.

Gonna read Kikokugai before heading back to F/sn.

Indeed Samael really shone in Lilith's route. In fact I liked Samael more than Lilith herself in her route.
Also the final fight in Lilith's route felt a bit underwhelming when compared to all the others.

Spoiler

For me the best fights were Setsuna  
1. Against Uriel.
2. Against Adam (and the guy before that).
3. Against Astaroth.

16 minutes ago, FinalChaos said:

Indeed Samael really shone in Lilith's route. In fact I liked Samael more than Lilith herself in her route.
Also the final fight in Lilith's route felt a bit underwhelming when compared to all the others.

Reveal hidden contents

For me the best fights were Setsuna  
1. Against Uriel.
2. Against Adam (and the guy before that).
3. Against Astaroth.

I agree, the final fight was pretty disappointing if you were looking for an epic fight to conclude everything.  Still, though, I thought it was amusing how they completely went the other way that people were expecting them to go in.

Spoiler

The concept of overwhelming a god with too many worshippers praying for too many miracles was pretty unique, I have to say.  God is always portrayed as an omnipotent being that can do pretty much anything if he wants to, so I found the idea that Tiamat (as well as the construct God) is fallible was rather interesting.

I started Kikokugai, and man, I'm loving that atmosphere and writing so far.  It's right up my alley.

Finished Rose Guns Days after some marathoning and quite frankly, there was enough material there for a full other season.

Spoiler

How do you hype up Gabriel and his troops like that and don't have some sort of final showdown between Primavera and them? It'd be like if Higurashi ended without Mion's club going after the mastermind and it's minions and they get defeated in a single scene for some other reason.

Edited by onorub

So, thanks to it being 50% off I forgot that I was waiting for it to come to Vita by March and ended up buying Root Double on Steam. Played for a little while.

Pretty intriguing so far, but the cast feels a bit generic (Yuuri is the aggressively cliche shy heroine. zzzzzzzzzz). There also isn't much tension in its atmosphere so far. The music's good, I wonder if Takeshi Abo also worked on this one's OST (he did Steins; Gate, Ever17 and Remember11's music). Might even give I/O another try after this. That said, the whole "nine people stuck for nine hours in a life-endangering situation" is my favorite motif for VNs so this will be FUN.

Edit: How to best go about playing this thing? First do Route A fully then move on to Route B or switch to B after a few endings?

Edited by Funyarinpa

9 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

So, thanks to it being 50% off I forgot that I was waiting for it to come to Vita by March and ended up buying Root Double on Steam. Played for a little while.

Pretty intriguing so far, but the cast feels a bit generic (Yuuri is the aggressively cliche shy heroine. zzzzzzzzzz). There also isn't much tension in its atmosphere so far. The music's good, I wonder if Takeshi Abo also worked on this one's OST (he did Steins; Gate, Ever17 and Remember11's music). Might even give I/O another try after this. That said, the whole "nine people stuck for nine hours in a life-endangering situation" is my favorite motif for VNs so this will be FUN.

Edit: How to best go about playing this thing? First do Route A fully then move on to Route B or switch to B after a few endings?

Nope, Abo Takeshi has nothing to do with Root Double.