What are you playing?

Finished Canvas 2 yesterday, it was a mixed bag switching between enjoyable and testing my patience. Here's a short summary:

Positive:

-Mouth animations, it gives a little more depth to me as a reader and I like it (just like in ef- a fairy tale of the two.).
-Routes are short and enjoyable
-The art at the end of some routes is really beautiful

Negative:

-The protagonist is generic, dense and was testing my patience the whole time. He used words like idiot maybe 100's of time alone during Elis route and I think he's generally badly written.
-80% of the common route consists of: waking up, wake up Elis and have breakfast, go to academy, moan about how tired you are, choose a heroin to talk/stalk, go home and eat dinner with Elis. Sleep and repeat. I wish there would have been a bit more variety to it.
-some routes left me really disappointed
-many choices (over 70+) but they are too obvious and are just there to go to a heroin during break times, the choices don't require any effort and as I said are too obvious. Half of them could have been cut out without losing anything to the story.
-there was a certain scene with Yanagi where he made me so mad and I just wanted to beat him up and drop the VN. It was the best/worst scene in the VN but in the end it was badly executed and disappointing.

Next up: Princess Evangile to calm myself down with moe.

Got Sora's Good End in Ever 17, going for You's Good next

My my my, Sora was quite a treat. Her little 'learning how to fall in love' development was just so adorable, and the love lessons + makeup session with Takeshi were just LOL ^_^

Onto Kid's perspective now. I can't believe the writers had the gall to make this lil' shit walk by the chicken sandwich stand 3x in the beginning and finally give in to temptation and sneak a bite, nice callback :sleep: 

WAIT, WHAT?! WHO THE FK IS THIS SARA CHICK?!? SHE WASN'T IN ANY OF THE TAKESHI BUISNESS!??!! DIS SOME COSNPIRACY

the scene with the twins in the forest from kamidori was so messed up on so many levels, the cringemeter is off the charts, or maybe that's just me cuz I haven't read that many vn's but...

other than that the game's fucking great up to this point, tho by the name of the chapter I'm on, I think shit's about to go down from now on

1 hour ago, Funyarinpa said:

I knew I could have trusted your taste. Good work. but spoiler that shit about Sora, that's a spoiler

edit: did you do both of Takeshi's routes first, that's the recommended order

mah bad

ye i got tsugumi's end before Sora's

~~
Is it bad that it took me 20 minutes to realize who's 'missing' in Kid's perspective :makina: 
Btw just noticed Sara is voiced by same VA as Fate/Stay's Rin, so +2 favor points right off the bat.

1 hour ago, Canicheslayer said:

Da Capo 2. Finished the infamous Koko's route. Now I understand TexasDice's warning...

Reveal hidden contents

This couple of idiots drove me nuts...especially the protagonist. What an insufferable jerk ! I wish I was Wataru's fist, slapping his face  :saber: 

I had to skip through that route, my blood pressure was starting to peak while reading it, lol :sachi:

I like to imagine a different ending:

Spoiler

She gives him the middle finger while he's apologizing, and she moves away after that, and Kotori decides to have nothing to do with him either - The End. :makina:

54 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

I like to imagine a different ending:

Hide contents

She gives him the middle finger while he's apologizing, and she moves away after that, and Kotori decides to have nothing to do with him either - The End. :makina:

I prefer your ending :wahaha:

Spoiler

But yeah that poor Kotori Nanako...too nice for her own good  :rimu: If I were her, I would have scratch him EVERYWERE :holo:

Finished Ayaka & Ritsuko's route in Princess Evangile, on Chapter 23 of 26 in Chiho's route.
Ayaka's was a good conclusion with her mother and their problems. She wasn't as teasing or playful as she was before so I felt like it sort of dragged on, considering they took away the one trait I liked about her and all heroines.
Ritsuko's was...meh. Felt like a typical HS Crush thing with slight drama near the end, and then POOF all of a sudden her mother's okay with the Protag? Underlying issues were still unresolved (that were in Ayaka's route) and it just felt like "This is too typical, let's add something dramatic!!"
Chiho's so far...Protag is meeting her parents. THe dad would probably make me piss my pants a little bit.

Spoiler

tAAjYR6.png

Finally got around to trying Koiken Otome, First time I've considered dropping a game this fast, solely due to the music. :makina:  The 3 tracks I've heard so far sound terrible - and really don't add anything to the scenes involved. Maybe I've just become picky over time? i dunno, just seems really...cheap? low-effort? unfeeling? /shrug.

1 hour ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Finally got around to trying Koiken Otome, First time I've considered dropping a game this fast, solely due to the music. :makina:  The 3 tracks I've heard so far sound terrible - and really don't add anything to the scenes involved. Maybe I've just become picky over time? i dunno, just seems really...cheap? low-effort? unfeeling? /shrug.

Even if the music is usually one of the parts which isn't talked about that much it can easily make or break a VN. It's arguably the medial part with the strongest atmospheric impact.

The audio part doesn't really seem to be a particular strength of recently released titles, since I wasn't exactly blown away by the music in Supipara either. :unsure:

I think at least half of Key's secret to their success is, that they usually have a very good soundtrack.

5 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Even if the music is usually one of the parts which isn't talked about that much it can easily make or break a VN. It's arguably the medial part with the strongest atmospheric impact.

The audio part doesn't really seem to be a particular strength of recently released titles, since I wasn't exactly blown away by the music in Supipara either. :unsure:

I think at least half of Key's secret to their success is, that they usually have a very good soundtrack.

I was starting to think I was weird for generally not caring for the SupiPara music, when most other people seemed to be praising it. Glad to hear I'm not alone on that feeling... On the other hand, the Majo Koi Nikki soundtrack is fantastic, so at least I've got that going for me, among the games I'm currently spending time with.

Agreed with both of you, though: the music can easily make or break a game, especially if I'm already on the fence about it otherwise. It certainly broke Princess Evangile for me.

I brought myself to play Kara no Shoujo. I was quite helpless about what to play next, but eventually, my love for mystery won.

And so i am now breaking my mind over the choices and various mess that s going around there. Cannot complain, though.

Finished the first part of clannad, now my review of it.

Misae Route : Misae is bae.

Tomoyo Route : best girl ever /10 i cried seal of approval

Ryou/Kyou route : not enough Kyou who's super Kyoute /10 i cried seal of approval

Yukine : Meh/10

Kappei : i'm not gay but i cried /10

sunohara sibling : i'm not a lolicon/10

Kotomi Ichinose : Best route/10, i cried seal of approval

Fuuko Ibuki : I'm not a lolicon /10, who's Fuuko?

Koumura : Wat/10

Nagisa Furukawa : Cute/10 i liked it.

Now, starting after story. 

Thanks to Bats, I'm now playing House In Fata Morgana. I think I'm some 20-30 minutes in, I like it so far. I've always been a sentimental person about places, such as homes or schools, and the stories they inhibit. As such, HiFM's story structure really appeals to me. It almost reminds me of the happier parts of Umineko so far. Mell and Nellie are both very endearing characters, even though Nellie is somewhat sad.

Made a bit more progress with Koiken otome. At first I was excited to learn that the MC was powerful - but of course, the reader gets cock-blocked with the "story driven" nature of it. :makina:

I figured it would be something passive where he strengthens those around him - which I wasn't exactly wrong about - but the method, well...lol...

Spoiler

rUeXZJK.png

/facepalm... I really should have known...but still...sigh... such a cheesy... well, it worked in Fate/Stay Night I guess :P

(for context, the MC sneezed on this guy) :amane:

Turning off the music and creating my own playlist seems to help me get into it a bit more, gotta agree with FTB and Chaosraven when it comes to atmosphere and music.

EDIT: Kaoru is turning out to be a very dangerous character - I'm starting to question many things :komari: