What are you playing?

2 hours ago, john 'mr. customer' smith said:

Finished Valhalla. I can't say I truly loved it, but there were some amazing moments and the quality of the everythings was undeniable.

I wonder if I should go for NG+ just to get some more scenes and achievements though, can anyone comment?

Well, the discussions change depending on whether you give more, less or no alcohol at all to the characters, so you are going to get somewhat different conversations. If it interests you, then you should go ahead!

Sloooowly progressing in Cartagra, decided to continue it after few months of inactivity due to job and migrating stuff to Linux. Unfortunately there is bug in linux version that crashes game often (randomly) if you try to save or make decision after long skip. Edelweiss and ClockUp's Eroge! are nearly finished missing one or two routes each.

Ever 17, on like the 3rd day 

The last trapped-survival-mystery I played was Root Double, which was thrilling, had a sense of urgency, and had death waiting on every corner right from the start. Ever 17 in comparison has a more... slice of life / casual feel to it? Oh noes, we're trapped, not much to do, let's play tag!@# I'm sure it'll pick up later later, but I can understand the complaints people had about its pacing and whatnot.

Not a negative experience for me so far though. Takeshi has some decent banter with You and Tsugumi. Sora's really pleasant, too. Her idea of joke when it came to tag was great. Coco's aight, she's that innocent kid thrown in there to liven things up.  

There's glimpses of a bigger behind the scenes shenanigan going on with the whole '# of people alive =/= the measurements' or w.e along with talks of ghosties and some 'rat' running around.. we'll see how mindblown I get later~

1 hour ago, Mkilbride said:

Alright.

I finished Sharnoth. I now know some of the story...but I also have a headache and most of it doesn't make sense. Loved the art, music, characters, atmosphere. But the story was so...disconnected.

Yeah. I got the sense that if I had paid more attention, I might have been able to understand, but I didn't and by the time I reached

Spoiler

The scene at the end with Charlie

I had no idea what was going on. I sort of get what the writer was going for, but I just don't think it worked that well... The pacing was also slow and became a bit tough to get through towards the end. It was a real shame because I loved pretty much everything else about it so much.

6 minutes ago, akaritan said:

Yeah. I got the sense that if I had paid more attention, I might have been able to understand, but I didn't and by the time I reached

Hide contents

The scene at the end with Charlie

I had no idea what was going on. I sort of get what the writer was going for, but I just don't think it worked that well... The pacing was also slow and became a bit tough to get through towards the end. It was a real shame because I loved pretty much everything else about it so much.

Right? Everything was great...except the pacing. It all felt way to dragged out.   And no, even if you paid attention(I did), there is still so much not explained at the end, it's stupid. The author was going for some kind of philosophical theme, I get that, but I hate an interesting theory and interesting characters being put before me, and then having it all fade away into some "message" about not being stubborn, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, Shikkoku no Sharnoth tries to be elegant and you can see where it shines, but ultimately it just falls flat leaves you unsatisfied overall.

~~

This fking Kid BSODing over a couple of days of eating same food?!@#@@#$%!!!@@!!@1. BOO HOO i fking hit his ass, qq moar you lil' shit.

32 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

This fking Kid BSODing over a couple of days of eating same food?!@#@@#$%!!!@@!!@1. BOO HOO i fking hit his ass, qq moar you lil' shit.

That scene is pretty hard to read without wanting to hit the kid, lol. During some of my walkthrough playthroughs that spot was always a tad irritating, because he was acting like such a brat and I wanted to select that option so badly but didn't in case it made a difference:amane:.

6 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Ever 17, on like the 3rd day 

The last trapped-survival-mystery I played was Root Double, which was thrilling, had a sense of urgency, and had death waiting on every corner right from the start. Ever 17 in comparison has a more... slice of life / casual feel to it? Oh noes, we're trapped, not much to do, let's play tag!@# I'm sure it'll pick up later later, but I can understand the complaints people had about its pacing and whatnot.

Not a negative experience for me so far though. Takeshi has some decent banter with You and Tsugumi. Sora's really pleasant, too. Her idea of joke when it came to tag was great. Coco's aight, she's that innocent kid thrown in there to liven things up.  

There's glimpses of a bigger behind the scenes shenanigan going on with the whole '# of people alive =/= the measurements' or w.e along with talks of ghosties and some 'rat' running around.. we'll see how mindblown I get later~

two things:

1) Really agreed on the casual feeling criticism, hate that myself.

2) Do Takeshi's routes first. Story flows better that way.

Going to start reading Just Deserts , it will probably be horrible , but that way i am going to read it :makina:.

~~~

So , i finished one ending , and i decided to just be that , i am not going to spend hours to just get the same route , but instead of going to place A with girl B , for generic event A that does not mean anything to the story  , i will go to place B with girl X , for generic event C that does not mean anything to the story :makina: , anyway here is a mini-review.

Story-2/10-just awful

art-5/10- nothing special 

ost-4/10- i disliked a little of the ost 

so this vn is a 3.6/10

Thank you for reading this.

Got Tsugumi's good end and the Tsugumi-Sora bad end, going for Sora good next

I'm guessing the true route is where the rainbow and sunshine magics will happen; it's an otherwise 7/10 decent experience atm so far.

Liked Tsugumi's development. Her extremely cold and distant personality with a spice of 'don't touch me!!' was satisfactorily explained and while it took a shit load of work and abuse and a completely reckless blind swim through darkness to save a certain... charming thing to bring out her dere side, I'd say #worth, and the endgame callback to Archimedes' Principle was just so deliciously bittersweet, goddamn. 

I'm reading Umineko ep. 2. It's fairly slow-paced so I might read Toma's route in Amnesia along with it so I can get it over with. Umineko is very good though, it's my first time reading it and I understand why it's so hyped. I love the music and character interactions. The plot was well-done and the mystery was really interesting. Which is why I regret spoiling myself. I might take breaks between episodes because it's so long and the first episode took me 23 hours to finish.

I have a bad habit of buying VNs before I'm done with one so I got Gahkthun this week. And there's so many sitting on my backlog after the sale. I'm interested in Sona Nyl so I might read Gahkthun after Umineko as an introduction to the Steampunk series.

7 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

The second game?

I liked the first game a lot. The second games combat system was a huge downgrade.

Yeah, its the second game. I was not this bored or tired of the first games combat system until I did my fourth play through.
I guess i will play through the game once for the story and then use a max level clear save to cheat my way through subsequent missions.

I started Gahkthun and I'm not that far in but I already love it. Tesla and Neon are really likeable so far, the writing is excellent, and as usual, liarsoft's art and style is wonderful, though I do overall prefer the shoujo-esque art style of some of their other games. Sadly, I feel like every liarsoft game I've played starts to drag like crazy towards the end, so I really hope that this one doesn't do that (or at least keeps it to a minimum), because everything is so good thus far.

On a side note, something about liarsoft heroines is really charming. Even when the characters aren't exactly deep (i.e. Yurirei), I can't help but feel that they're absolutely adorable without being "moe" or cliched. And Mary basically carried Sharnoth at points for me. Again, I'm not even very far into Gahkthun, but so these characters are no different and I look forward to spending more time with them.

Playing Koiken Otome, and damn, I can't get into it. It's not bad, and I rather like the characters, but it's just boring. I think I'm becoming apathetic when it's too standard. When I'm not invested enough in the characters and the story doesn't move too much, I just can't get into it. (And I didn't even read that much VNs...)

The problem is that, if I stop now, I'll never get back to it again... *sigh*

Guess I'll just skip sentences here and there, finish it quickly, and be done with it.