What are you playing?

12 hours ago, Eclipsed said:
  • Best route: Unlimited Blade Works > Heaven's Feel >>>>>>>>> Fate
  • Best girl: Rin >>> Saber > Illya > Sakura
  • Best Servant: Archer > Saber >>> Rider > Lancer > Berserker >>> Caster > Assassin 

I didn't play Heaven's Feel route, but from the remaing two I still liked Fate more than Unlimited Bladeworks simply because it felt more believable.

Spoiler

The VN makes it clear from the start that being protected by a servant is of utmost importance for survival. And in Fate they actually form a pretty powerful alliance consisting of two masters (later even three with Illya) and two servants. They were an absolute force to be reckoned with.

But in Unlimited Bladeworks Rin and Shirou lose both their servants pretty early and rely more or less on Rin's magic alone. While Archer going rogue was in itself a pretty interesting development, the plot more or less fell apart when Gilgamesh came into play. He was so overpowered that he almost fell asleep while killing the supposed most powerful master-servant duo with Illya and berserker - and then claims that he 'doesn't have time anymore' to also kill Rin and Shirou after holding almost a ten minute chat with them :blink:.

But the ultimate highlight was the 'triple suicide' of Kirei, Lancer and Shinji when going against the tied up Rin <_<. Overall the opponents were simply dumbified too much in that route. Kirei would never die such a ridiculous death and Gilgamesh simply too powerful to be beaten by them. Rin and Shirou didn't survive anymore because they did anything smart, they survived because the VN wouldn't shy away to even send them a Bortas Battlecruiser full of Klingon warriors out of space to protect them.

And yeah, there was Illya's fate too, but that's more a personal thing. :(

so, i finished half of the first part of clannad, i'm gonna give my (really positive review)

I can't really judge the common route, as it's not a classic common route like Little busters or any other VN, but, i'm gonna give my enjoyment.

Misae route : very touching, very short, feels more like a tiny route than a real heroine.

Tomoyo route : My, God, I cried, i cried, it was beautiful, perfect, touching, Tomoyo is soo amazing, she's a great heroine, her route is great.

Ryou route : Don't care, too short/10

Kyou route : wow, didn't expect that developpment, it was a really interesting route, lacked more romantic Kyou moments, in my opinion.

Yukine Route : sweet, Yukine is interesting, the route was interesting, nothing to say about it.

Kappei Route : NTR/10, but since i'm not a fanboy of that Heroine, no problem, his route was kinda touching, though.

Overall, i pretty much like every character met so far, messing with sunohara is funnier than i thought, the events are funny and touching as well, it's a good experience, and every routes deal with the "familly" theme in it's own form, it's really touching.

38 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Ah right, that is true, I'm done here! *runs away to the club with the cool kids*

Whatta tool, I thought you were a proud hybrid, able to exist in between the realms of Light and Darkness, but now you so easily pledge absolute faith to the Dark side of gurrelitism to "be with the cool kids"

Utter disappointment!

~~

20 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

I didn't play Heaven's Feel route, but from the remaing two I still liked Fate more than Unlimited Bladeworks simply because it felt more believable.

Hide contents

The VN makes it clear from the start that being protected by a servant is of utmost importance for survival. And in Fate they actually form a pretty powerful alliance consisting of two masters (later even three with Illya) and two servants. They were an absolute force to be reckoned with.

But in Unlimited Bladeworks Rin and Shirou lose both their servants pretty early and rely more or less on Rin's magic alone. While Archer going rogue was in itself a pretty interesting development, the plot more or less fell apart when Gilgamesh came into play. He was so overpowered that he almost fell asleep while killing the supposed most powerful master-servant duo with Illya and berserker - and then claims that he 'doesn't have time anymore' to also kill Rin and Shirou after holding almost a ten minute chat with them :blink:.

But the ultimate highlight then was the 'triple suicide' of Kirei, Lancer and Shinji when going against the tied up Rin <_<. Overall the opponents were simply dumbified too much. Kirei would never die such a ridiculous death. It was simply too much to be believable anymore. Rin and Shirou didn't survive anymore because they did anything smart, they survived because the VN wouldn't shy away to even send them a Bortas Battlecruiser full of Klingon warriors out of space to protect them.

And yeah, there was Illya's fate too, but that's more a personal thing. :(

Ah, the good ol' "It's more realistic, so it's better!" argument.

By all means Shirou and Rin should've both gotten rekt on Day 1, but then we wouldn't have a story now would we? :P

The opponents getting dumbified in UBW is because the main focus is on Archer, but they definitely get their own 'final boss' status in other routes.

40 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

The opponents getting dumbified in UBW is because the main focus is on Archer, but they definitely get their own 'final boss' status in other routes.

Well, I think it's definitely possible to have a focus on a character without making the other characters dumb. ^_^

UB showed some different and interesting sides of some characters with Archer and Lancer in particular, so I still enjoyed the route both in the VN and the anime. But the flaws were a little too much to push Fate route from my top spot which IMHO had way smarter villains.

26 minutes ago, ChaosRaven said:

Well, I think it's definitely possible to have a focus on a character without making the other characters dumb. ^_^

UB showed some different and interesting sides of some characters with Archer and Lancer in particular, so I still enjoyed the route both in the VN and the anime. But the flaws were a little too much to push Fate route from my top spot which IMHO had way smarter villains.

Yeah, it's one of Fate/Stay's route weaknesses. Characters that are prominent in one route will become complete fodder in other routes. Sometimes I wish there was just one grand route that allows every character to have their moment in the spotlight instead of splitting it up into main focuses and villains

~~

9 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

@Eclipsed

Hide contents

The real question is - did you read the Sparks liner high bad end? it's one of those rare ones that are so good, it's a crime to pass over :sachi:

(for it to happen, Shirou must try to 1v1 Saber w/o Riders help)

That was the first ending I got :kosame: 

I think it would've resonated with me more if Shirou had to make 'that' choice in addition to that, but I guess it's all the more poetic that he didn't even get the chance to and so we're just left with a big ol' "Wow... You know what? Fk Sakura. THIS is the True End!"

24 minutes ago, Shimakaze said:

Finally managed to finish a route in Natsuzora no Perseus, not without difficult, and only understanding like 40% of the sentences (but at least, I got the gist of what is happening).

Minori's Natsuzora no Perseus and Soreyori no Prologue are the two VN's from Minori I really wanted to read. I had slim hopes for MangaGamer to license at least one of those titles, but according to Nobukazu (nbkz) Sakai's interview at AX, MangaGamer has no interest in them. Further considering that Minori announced Trinoline more less against MangaGamer's will, it doesn't look like we'll see many Minori VN's from MangaGamer anymore. So it looks like I have to read those in Japanese too. :(

42 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

What do you mean?

Minori released four titles since Supipara and MangaGamer apparently has no interest in either of them. So why should they suddenly have interest in the fifth one without even knowing its reception. Minori made the announcement without informing MangaGamer before, and they surely had enough time to do that. The whole thing smells fishy. I'd say Minori made the announcement intentional without informing MangaGamer because they knew it'll be hard to refuse them now.

Natsuzora no Perseus won the Getchu graphics and ero award in 2012. It should be a mouth watering title considering MG's customer base, but they still show no interest - I wonder?! I'd say MG's lack of interest comes from the whole censoring theater with Minori. Those two companies have a history.

4 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Yeah, it's one of Fate/Stay's route weaknesses. Characters that are prominent in one route will become complete fodder in other routes. Sometimes I wish there was just one grand route that allows every character to have their moment in the spotlight instead of splitting it up into main focuses and villains

Spoiler

But wasn't it awesome watching Gilgamesh get eaten?

@bogdankl @Eclipsed

This is for you both, on finishing up F/SN :sachi: My favorite song in my life atm.
(last episodes spoilers)

Spoiler

I like to think of this as the true end to the Fate route - or even a "True end" for the many versions of Archer that Shirou may end up as. (That Rin/Sakura/others couldn't save)

GPYFfN3.jpg

Rin is best girl, and Heavens Feel is best route - but there will always be a special place in my heart for Arturia, no matter what.

Either of you have plans to go through Hollow/Ataxia? At the very least, I reccomend watching Carnival Phantasm - it's a great way to finish off the series. :)

2 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Either of you have plans to go through Hollow/Ataxia? At the very least, I reccomend watching Carnival Phantasm - it's a great way to finish off the series. :)

I wish the voiced version of the game is translated. :makina: But I guess that won't happen for a while, considering the voiced Vita version came out not long ago. Hopefully, it would get localized some time soon.

3 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

I'd argue that watching Fate/Zero is a must if you enjoyed the setting and want to learn more about the 4th Holy Grail War.  Really explains a lot and makes the characters more interesting, IMO.  Animation is good as always, thanks to based Ufotable.

4 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

I'm watching Fate/Zero for sure.

Dunno about Hollow Ataraxia atm, I ned voices ;-;

Probably gonna check out Fate/Extra for my PSP, and Fate/Extella for Vita when it comes out Q4 2016

13 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

@bogdankl @Eclipsed

This is for you both, on finishing up F/SN :sachi: My favorite song in my life atm.
(last episodes spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

I like to think of this as the true end to the Fate route - or even a "True end" for the many versions of Archer that Shirou may end up as. (That Rin/Sakura/others couldn't save)

GPYFfN3.jpg

Rin is best girl, and Heavens Feel is best route - but there will always be a special place in my heart for Arturia, no matter what.

OFC I plan to read hollow/ataxia... just not right now, I have a few things to share about this vn it's just that... I think it's kind of selfish, wasteful and arrogant to open a thread just to say what I think of it

also I wanna watch the anime so bad 1st because I'm sure the fight scenes are fking awesome and second because I think I saw a gif somewhere with saber on a motorcycle and I don't recall that in the novel

I'm just skeptical because anime tends to be a tad bit tamer than what is portrayed here (specifically I think of the scene with sakura and her oni-chan towards the end of heaven's feel) but there are exceptions, the ending of berserk still haunts me to this day since I was like 12 when I saw that shit

also Illya > ... everyone

I have now finished Yumina the Ethereal. I rather enjoyed my time with the game, but I couldn't be bothered to bother with its gameplay, so I just cheated my way through. Regardless, here are my impressions, which I write as I listen to one of the game's songs (Spoilers):

Ai's Route

Spoiler

I liked this route especially because of Ai. We got to talk with her slightly more than in other routes, and we see her relying on us plenty of times. That's amazing.

Aside from that, I like what Rishane was trying to achieve, and how he was going about it. I'll develop more on this in the True and Yumina's route, where I consider reusing this same plotpoint to be a flaw.
The planet of Algoda, though, really goes to show that the most advanced always reach that point at the cost of others. Even on Earth, some of the wealthiest countries consist of a wealthy minority and a poor majority.

Power of love saves the day, as usual, but that's fine. That's great, actually.

Ai's personality in the Epilogue is even better than usual. Loved it.

Yumina's Route

Spoiler

I like plenty of moments in this route. Yumina's altruism. Great power. Helping people. Everyone uniting. Etc. Etc.
I won't compare this route to the others as being inconsistent, because it's evident each route alters the setting as they need. But wow, in this route Yumina's power is ridiculously overpowered. Never mind Ai pulling out Artillery abilities out of her arse in her own route, this is true power.

After reading all three routes, my thoughts are cemented. I really, really like Galeorn. Sure, he hates on Ethereals, but he is genuinely afraid of them turning on humans. A ridiculous notion, but if it had any base to stand on, then his actions are entirely justified. The way that he puts humans and the Federation above himself, though, is really fantastic.

The moment where Ai sings as we read her thoughts. It's amazing. Bloody brilliant! Both the song and her inner monologue. She's just as great when she's quiet as when she speaks. Trying to hog a piece of the glory for herself. Trying to be the heroine. Keh.

Then we fight the malevolent universe. Pretty interesting how he even bothers to try to reason with lesser beings. To be honest? I completely agree with him. What the heck can we people do if the universe starts collapsing for whatever reason?
Regardless, they defeat the malevolent universe (OF COURSE), and then Karales comes to save the day (WHO ELSE IF NOT THE GUY WE JUST DEFEATED?). Well, I don't dislike how everyone overcame their differences to defend against a threat, so everything's fine.

The romance with Yumina was great here too, in that it's just as clumsy and awkward as Yumina herself.

True Route

Spoiler

Continuing from the True route, instead of being saved by Karales alone, who else would show up if not some sort of higher being that comes to enforce rules on the universes? What? Okay, sure. I'll buy it, why not. But that's not enough. Noooo. In comes Akeshima Takehito! Who else if not the guy that we were told had died, earlier?
But that's fine, too. I really wanted to see the characters interact with him anyway.

Then we go back to school, reminisce a bit, and gather all our allies, who have now become powerful enough to stand ground against a group of four who are strong enough to bing a malevolent universe to a stop, or to defeat Karales and the EDs. Because that's exactly what the people at school have been doing. Working their posteriors off in order to become powerful enough to defeat the universe.
Okay, I'll buy that too.

So we reminisce a bit with our old allies and go fight the universe. Might as well take the time to meet up with Yumika, who's supposed to have been dead for about 20 years, on the way. Oh, and Karales can come, too. He's a cool guy. In the meanwhile, Takehito will just take a minute to fly through space on his own and kick the biggest EDs we've ever faced until they perish. Remind me again, what was this guy doing raising Ayumu instead of defeating the ED threat on his own?

Then we defeat the mean universe again using the power of the Ether Frame. Remember how we went to gather our allies so we could control the Ether Frame? Well, now that we've switched universes that doesn't matter any more, so it's fine if those guys go home. And so, the Debate club lives happily ever after defeating enemy universes like that's the logical thing to do.
What surprised me the most is that Barais didn't come back from the dead to save them a while later.

I actually enjoyed the route quite a bit, so this is all fine. All for the sake of seeing the various characters interact.

On that note, Yumika's personality is exceptional. You can really see how Yumina is the daughter of Takehito and Yumika. Takehito is actually fairly good himself, and it's nice to see how it rubbed off on Ayumu. And good job on that last minute bombshell, Ai's dad.

A bit of a shame we didn't get to hear more about what kind of experiment Ayumu was, and why he was a failed one.

My main issue with the route is how Rishane was trying to save this universe (we know he came from another universe using the Ark, but we know neither why he was trying to save the Radosseus universe, nor why he had such a thing as the Ark), and everyone booed him down for pretty much killing a few Ethereals on the process.
Well, sorry for not having the hax ability you do or the help of a higher being so as to control the Ether Frame without killing anyone.

Rishane didn't hate people. He might have had delusions of grandeur in the process, but he intended to save the whole universe. He went about it in an incredibly pragmatic way, basically sacrificing a planet, and a bunch of Ethereals, but otherwise kept at it.
I wonder what he meant by "I have infinite time", though. Barais wouldn't last forever. He'd have to invade sooner or later, and the Frame would need to be finished by then, or Rishane would lose all the Ethereals.

Rankings:

Spoiler
  • Romance: Kirara > Ai > Yumina

Kirara had the highest amount of it, and it was very crucial to keep Kirara stable. HOWEVER! Let it be known that all routes had great romance. Ai relying on Ayumu even without noticing it was the greatest thing, and Yumina's clumsiness was as great as always.

• Character: Ai > Yumina > Kirara

I just love Ai's character. Especially in her route's epilogue. Yumina is also a great character, especially for me, who loves comic relief. It's great seeing Yumina being Yumina all the time. It's only in light that the other characters are so great the Kirara ranks so low. She's the most serious of the lot, and I generally favour comedy. Even Ayumu the straight man would rank higher than her on that count.

• Route: Kirara > Yumina > Ai

Kirara's route brings us a sympathetic anti-hero-like character, Kirara hersel,; coupled with a sympathetic villain, Karales, who fights for all Ethereals, and a sympathetic antagonist, Galeorn, who fights for all humans (which doesn't include Ethereals). It's really great to see all motivations at work and whatnot. Ai's route may have been the most expository and have brought up some interesting themes, but Yumina's+True Route has it beat due to Takehito, Yumika and all the other nonsense.

Great Moments/Quotes:

Spoiler

ypNyLmf.png

Trololololo

rTfWf2G.png

You're so lucky she can only read your internal monologue when she's present.

pqSSjZ5.png

When you put it that way...

Does this mean your father was overprotective to the point where he didn't just refuse or chose your husband, he literally raised him for it?

ShrByCa.png

This is a complicated matter indeed. Progress? Or no progress?

HSuSOZM.png

Technology just keeps on improving.

6shdN9T.png

Artist: What do you mean the protagonist doesn't wear glasses?
Producer: I mean exactly that! We need you to remove this ASAP.
Artist: No way. I followed the instructions you gave me. You deal with this.
Producer: Oh, yeah? Watch us!
16t2WOe.png

just finished brighter than the dawning blue, had a lot of fun reading it.
And enjoyed it a lot more than koiken otome, probably has to do with the difference between their energy levels.

Currently back to playing seinakura, but i find the gameplay getting tedious.
Is there anyway to cheat my way through the gameplay?

20 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Minori released four titles since Supipara and MangaGamer apparently has no interest in either of them. So why should they suddenly have interest in the fifth one without even knowing its reception. Minori made the announcement without informing MangaGamer before, and they surely had enough time to do that. The whole thing smells fishy. I'd say Minori made the announcement intentional without informing MangaGamer because they knew it'll be hard to refuse them now.

Natsuzora no Perseus won the Getchu graphics and ero award in 2012. It should be a mouth watering title considering MG's customer base, but they still show no interest - I wonder?! I'd say MG's lack of interest comes from the whole censoring theater with Minori. Those two companies have a history.

The reason none of the other minori games are getting licensed is probably because it'd be difficult to edit out all the porn in them to make a steam version. That and since they're already doing supipara there's no real reason for them to rush and try to get as many of minori's titles as they can right now. 

Also I don't know where you're getting that he somehow made the announcement without telling mangagamer anything at all. They knew about it, as they'd discussed it with minori before, but they may or may not have known he'd be announcing it there. 

2 hours ago, Chuee said:

The reason none of the other minori games are getting licensed is probably because it'd be difficult to edit out all the porn in them to make a steam version. That and since they're already doing supipara there's no real reason for them to rush and try to get as many of minori's titles as they can right now. 

MangaGamer licensed other titles with adult content so I don't know why they should hesitate in the case of Minori titles. The second reason with Supipara is actually more likely. I remember them saying that they didn't ask Innocent Grey for Flowers yet because they wanted to release KnS2 first and so they lost the title to Jast. So it's indeed possible that Supipara was blocking it.

2 hours ago, Chuee said:

Also I don't know where you're getting that he somehow made the announcement without telling mangagamer anything at all. They knew about it, as they'd discussed it with minori before, but they may or may not have known he'd be announcing it there. 

Do you have a source for the info that MG already knew about that? Since this statement didn't sound at all like it and from the comments I've seen they were definitely surprised about the announcement.

During the panel, nbkz expressed his desire to make Trinoline an international release, and his plans to ask those of us at MangaGamer to handle the localization while the game is still in development, with goals to make the time gap between Japanese and English releases as small as possible.

And just 'talking' about titles doesn't count since they also talked about their other titles and MG apparently wasn't interested in them for whatever reasons. I'd really like to know what makes Trinoline so different from their other titles that MG should suddenly be interested in it. And the only reason I could think of would be that it is an all ages title like Supipara.

But I'm not sure if MG really relies on Steam so much anymore. The VN boom on Steam is more or less over and a release there is hardly a guarantee for good sales anymore, especially if it's a full price title. And according to MG, many Steam users created accounts on their site anyway.

Just finished reading Tomoyo After ~It's a Wonderful Life~ , and here is a mini-review.

Story-8.5/10- really enjoyed it , it almost made me cried ( yes almost , Key was close but i still did not cry :makina:)

Art-5/10-it was ok 

Ost-5/10- yeah i did not hate the ost of this vn but i did not love it either , because of that i was a little disappointed  since i really liked some of the ost of clannad

So in my opinion , this vn is a 6.1/10 

Thank you for reading this.

Ps: Have no idea what i should read next :vinty:  , i would like to start reading Grisaia no Meikyuu , but i will wait until the 18+ version is out.

Thank you for reading this.