What are you playing?

2 hours ago, TexasDice said:

The partial translation of Da Capo Plus Communication. Getting this to actually run was nothing short of a miracle, because the patch was a) really hard to find, b) outdated, and c) only works with the DVD release of the game.

I thank the lords for shady Russian websites. 

Do you mind sharing the version of the patch you found? It's stuff like this why I made this thread,  but I'm not 100% sure if the patch I got was the most recent. I remember getting in touch with a former team member but I don't remember what the result of that was, lol.

2 hours ago, Decay said:

Do you mind sharing the version of the patch you found? It's stuff like this why I made this thread,  but I'm not 100% sure if the patch I got was the most recent. I remember getting in touch with a former team member but I don't remember what the result of that was, lol.

Aye, no problem. I first had a version that was simply called DCPCAlphaPatch. This one was a little messy though; The protagonist's name was japanese and lots of lines weren't formatted and extended over the textbox, making the entire thing pretty unreadable.

This is DCPCAlphaPatch_1.1, which fixed both of the problems.

Installation note: The system.dat has to go into the folder "SaveData" inside the AdvData folder, rather than the main binary. If there is no "SaveData" folder, create either a save ingame or just a new folder and call it "SaveData".

I finally started playing Danganronpa 2 (which I'm sure will make @Eclipsed happy) and am partway into Chapter 2 now. So far... eh. It's fairly entertaining, but it's not really particularly impressing me. It's basically just a retread as of now. They're revealing end-game plot twists from DR1 in chapters 1 and 2 of DR2 so I expect things to take a different direction soon enough, but I wish it didn't drag its feet at the start. Also I'm not digging the "antagonist" revealed in the first class trial, but they still has ample time to do something good with that.

Best character so far is easily Chiaki, she's the only one there with a brain.

1 hour ago, TexasDice said:

Aye, no problem. I first had a version that was simply called DCPCAlphaPatch. This one was a little messy though; The protagonist's name was japanese and lots of lines weren't formatted and extended over the textbox, making the entire thing pretty unreadable.

This is DCPCAlphaPatch_1.1, which fixed both of the problems.

Installation note: The system.dat has to go into the folder "SaveData" inside the AdvData folder, rather than the main binary. If there is no "SaveData" folder, create either a save ingame or just a new folder and call it "SaveData".

Thank you, that was indeed more recent than the patch I had. Which also wasn't properly linked all this time? Why didn't anyone report that!? Anyway, I ended up just remaking the archive so the system.dat is in the right place to start with and all you need to do is extract it and play.

1 hour ago, Decay said:

I finally started playing Danganronpa 2 (which I'm sure will make @Eclipsed happy) and am partway into Chapter 2 now. So far... eh. It's fairly entertaining, but it's not really particularly impressing me. It's basically just a retread as of now. They're revealing end-game plot twists from DR1 in chapters 1 and 2 of DR2 so I expect things to take a different direction soon enough, but I wish it didn't drag its feet at the start. Also I'm not digging the "antagonist" revealed in the first class trial, but they still has ample time to do something good with that.

Best character so far is easily Chiaki, she's the only one there with a brain.

Yeah, DR2 had a draggy start for me as well. I think it picked up for me around Ch 3, more or less because I grew more attached to the cast by that point rather than a sudden increase in the quality of the shenanigans & class trials going on or anything. We'll see how it goes for you ^_^ 

Also, let me know if you got legitimately stuck during Class 2 Trial. I swear, some of the logic jumps are atrocious this time around <_<

RE: "antagonist"

Spoiler

xdJkaFu.jpg (960×544)

I swear the guy is probably in my top 3 most infuriating characters ever for me, I just wanna rip my hair out anytime I see his sprite and ohh my god that FKING SASS IN HIS VOICE IS RSDGLKDASJGA;LKJGAELKGJKEW

Well I finished one of Sekai's routes. I honestly don't know what to think. Some points of the route were just plain dumb but it somehow tied in at the end :vinty: Now that I've gotten two (good) endings, one for Kotonoha the other Sekai, should I keep going? I feel like doing all the other routes would just be time consuming and not worth it in the end. What are your guys thoughts? Esp @sanahtlig as I recall in the past you knew a decent amount about this game. 

32 minutes ago, LiquidShu said:

Well I finished one of Sekai's routes. I honestly don't know what to think. Some points of the route were just plain dumb but it somehow tied in at the end :vinty: Now that I've gotten two (good) endings, one for Kotonoha the other Sekai, should I keep going? I feel like doing all the other routes would just be time consuming and not worth it in the end. What are your guys thoughts? Esp @sanahtlig as I recall in the past you knew a decent amount about this game. 

@Decay also did a playthrough of it, if I'm remembering correctly.  Might wanna ask him as well.

39 minutes ago, LiquidShu said:

I assume you're talking about School Days.  This is a game that can only be fully appreciated by traversing the various paths through the story and seeing many endings.  One of the great things about the Days series is how setting details are scattered throughout the various routes.  This is definitely a game that's worth replaying more than once per heroine, especially since many of the most interesting paths involve not being completely devoted to a single heroine.  Try following Makoto's gut feeling at each branch point and see where it takes you.

Just now, sanahtlig said:

I assume you're talking about School Days.  This is a game that can only be fully appreciated by traversing the various paths through the story and seeing many endings.  One of the great things about the Days series is how setting details are scattered throughout the various routes.  This is definitely a game that's worth replaying more than once per heroine, especially since many of the most interesting paths involve not being completely faithful to a single heroine.

Thanks Sanah! It seems I can't delete School Days just yet. Hopefully it's not too frustrating to get on different paths. 

100%ing these games is a huge pain so I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing that, but I would recommend going down every major branch in the flowchart at least once, they all have interesting stuff in them. Once you've gotten an ending or two in each major story branch, you've pretty much seen most of what there is to see in School Days. Keep playing if you want to see even more, but you won't be missing much if you stop there.

Before going into School Days again I started My Girlfriend is the President Fandisc. I'm already done with Irina's route and I'm very pleased with what the disc is offering. Just some more happy feel good VN, with awesome CG's to boot :sachi: I should be finishing Ell's route today as well then I can start SDHQ again no problem. 

Reached Chapter 6 of Yumina the Ethereal.

I already knew the biggest twist beforehand, but I can definitely say I'm liking how everything's turning out. Entering Kirara's route now.

I was really worried about the Chapter 4 boss fight, but it was easy enough to just destroy all her audience and make her fumble around like an idiot.

Just finished re-reading Clannad , and here is a mini-review.

-story-7.5/10- i  liked some of the routes but they were some that i really despised.

-art-/5/10- it was ok

ost-6.5/10- they were some that i tough that were really good  , but most of them were meh for me.

so this vn is a 6.3/10 

I am going to start Tomoyo After ~It's a Wonderful Life~ , probably in two days.

Just finished Corona Blossom. More details over in its dedicated thread, but a quick rundown here:

• It's cute and fluffy.
  • It's very short (maybe the shortest single release I've played yet?). I'm not a fast reader, nor do I have the ability to play a game for extremely long periods of time, but I still finished it in a day of real time, probably 5 or 6 hours of game time?
  • It ends on a big cliffhanger.
  • It's not great, but it's not bad.
  • The translation is pretty bad, though. It is grammatical and reasonably proofread, but definitely not a pleasure to read.

Debating whether to pick up SupiPara or Karakara for another quick read over this weekend. Seems like I have more and more trouble getting through epic-length VNs, but I can still get through short ones.

Finally got back to Amagami today, and got some good progress done - that is, Kaoru's Best and Normal end, and Haruka's Best and Bad end. Also finally got to see what these 
tears events' are, and what happens when you promise to go on a date and then don't actually show up... jeez, these were rough. Especially that bad end, holy shit... even if that gives new epilogues and such, I definitely don't want to do that again with different heroines too, haha. I'm really weak to this kind of drama, felt super shitty. On the other hand, both of the best endings were great - if there is anything Amagami is good at, it's giving me feels at the confession scenes.

Well, that's two heroines out of the way; not sure who I'll pick next. I might do two at once again just because it's much faster-- but the game makes sure to bring the guilttrips even if you set up a date only with a single girl in the end. :pyaa:

I have now finished Kirara's route in Yumina the Ethereal

Somebody tell me, why do I keep on playing gameplay VNs if in the end I just cheat my way through?

Spoiler

One of the principal questions I have is how nobody mentioned anything about the:

• Differing Eye Colours;
  • Elf-like Ears;
  • Bloody Horn on the Forehead, of all things.

As for the rest, the romance was bloody fantastic. Really. Could have hardly asked for anything more (I could, sure, but not in this kind of game, really). Regrettably, from what I hear, it is rather likely the other routes will not live up to my expectations on that regard.

The plot itself was also wonderful. I loved seeing Kirara pull off her schemes and being one step ahead of everyone else. Particularly taking down Headquarters along with the Ethereals. Not through revenge, but purely from a results standpoint, sacrificing the minority at headquarters to deal a major blow to the ED's, I actually agreed with her plan, though her comrades put a stop to it.

I loved the portrayal of the "villain" (the head of the Federation). Truly, he had his personal reasons, and often bordered on complete coward, but he did indeed have have his priorities on saving mankind through his command. Of course, the suicide at the end was pointless, though. It's not like I he couldn't have sent any two other random people to board the battleship.

The white haired guy was an idiot. Who the hell confesses while on the verge of death? Man up and keep it to yourself, or you'll bring unnecessary pain to just about everyone else. Humbug.

The blue haired Ethereal from the federation seemed fairly interesting... I hope Ai's route covers her story.

I also liked how Karales truly seemed to be fighting for the sake of all Ethereals. Misguided, sure, but understandable to an extent. Could he have possibly been persuaded, I wonder...?

EDIT: I forgot to mention something highly important.

Best moment in the VN:

Spoiler

ypNyLmf.png

h6L1kmT.png