What are you playing?

I just returned to reading fate/stay night and I'm on day 5 of the unlimited bladeworks route and I just had a revelation while I was on the toilet

Spoiler

I was thinking about the way the servant system works and specifically about the fact that the holy grail summons a copy of a servant that is stored somewhere, I'm just gonna take a wild shot in the fking dark and say that archers identity is actually Gilgamesh, he is another copy of Gilgamesh who was summoned by the holy grail different from the one that keeps going on and on about raping Saber, he is using the key to summon noble phantasms to shoot with a bow, I got that idea because the first time Gilgamesh appeared I thought it was Rin's archer, they kinda look alike, in my mind it fits and I think it would be a somewhat unexpected plot twist ^^

toilet revelations FTW

Finished Komomo and Kosame routes in HoshiMemo, they were... okay. I can't say they were bad, but I think they lacked impact. Komomo route felt like it was going for mystery and drama at the same time, but in the end did neither properly.. I figured it out pretty early on and all the later deliberations about who it was were more annoying than anything. There was no "big reveal" or shocking moment at the end, you just kind of find out "ah, so now we know for sure it's that".

And the drama... well, you might as well say there wasn't any. All the confrontations in both routes were extremely underwhelming, and you could be sure about how things would turn out. I guess overall the story was fairly interesting and (especially Kosame route) had some nice romance, but these routes felt more like a side story.

The H-scenes were bad as expected, though I quite enjoyed You teasing and bullying Kosame :D Revenge feels nice man. Also something I noticed is how the other characters just kind of fade out after you start Komomo route, it was a bit startling. I guess this is fairly normal for most VNs to have the other characters get less screen time when you enter a route, but it was especially noticeable here. And man, having to refuse meeting with the Tenkuru in favor of doing SRC work was heart wrenching every time. I'm sorry Asuho, I'm a traitor ;_;

I started reading FataMorgana by night, and DAMN, that first chapter was ultragood.

But, since I had a free day today, I read the first route (Impouto one) in A Profile. Really short, stupid, funny in intended, hilarious in unintended places, stupid dramas and meh characters - so Looseboy at his second best.
It wasn't as bad as Sharin, because Sharin has a much higher horse to fell off, but it wasn't nearly as good... well, no. It was probably as bad/good as G-Maou side routes. Nowhere near awesomenes of G-Maou true route. Maybe a little more convoluted. Convoluted for good, because dramas which can be sumamrize in one sentence (Hoshizora) tend to be really dumb.
And a twist? On Sharin no Kuni level if it comes to unintended hilariousness.
It was a fun read overall, like reading Harry Potter or Twilight. It's not 'best thing ever', many things are dumb, but it's captivating and simply 'pageturner'. Would recommend to anybody who is simply bored, don't want to think much, and want simply enjoy a little thing.

I think my game bugged out but when

Spoiler

caster captured Taiga her name was mostly blacked out on the text, I have a feeling that it's not actually a bug but rather some sort of foreshadowing but I don't think Taiga is involved in any of this

but I have been known to be wrong sometimes

Spoiler

wait... so are they trying to make me feel bad for caster by telling me her story while she is literally TORTURING SABER???

ff9f5e32c740758b89db7bbd7e4c1ae06b86bd12

I'm technically done with reading Kanon but I'm still revisiting the ending of Mai's route as to give a final review of the book. 

After I'm done with that, I'll either resume Moon or start Air.  I'm thinking Air as its summer but I hate leaving things unfinished though.  So it's most likely going to be Moon but regardless of what I choose,  I'll be taking a small anime break before either one as to palate cleanse my mind lol.

On 6/4/2016 at 5:11 AM, bogdankl said:

I think my game bugged out but when

Reveal hidden contents

caster captured Taiga her name was mostly blacked out on the text, I have a feeling that it's not actually a bug but rather some sort of foreshadowing but I don't think Taiga is involved in any of this

but I have been known to be wrong sometimes

Reveal hidden contents

wait... so are they trying to make me feel bad for caster by telling me her story while she is literally TORTURING SABER???

ff9f5e32c740758b89db7bbd7e4c1ae06b86bd12

Nah it didn't bug out, that stuff was intended.

Spoiler

:makina: Feeling bad is optional - besides, her past is ancient history - and once you know her true name, it's hard(er) to feel sympathy. I still do to a point, considering what led to her "fall" - but she willfully committed some serious atrocities back in her lifetime since.

To me, it's more just the writer letting you see another side to her. None of us are one-dimensional - we all have a past that shapes our motivations and dreams, that includes the "villains".

Just a random tip - if other peoples versions of FSN are like my copy, there are two crashes to be wary of. One near the end of UBW, and one mid-way through HF - once you reach those points, easiest way to bypass is just to to ctrl-skip the text past it. Just figured I'd throw that out there now~

On 2016/6/3 at 11:37 AM, Vorathiel said:

I started reading FataMorgana by night, and DAMN, that first chapter was ultragood.
It was a fun read overall, like reading Harry Potter or Twilight. It's not 'best thing ever', many things are dumb, but it's captivating and simply 'pageturner'. Would recommend to anybody who is simply bored, don't want to think much, and want simply enjoy a little thing.

Yayyy FataMorgana. In the second chapter, let's just say the plot thickens and the rabbit hole goes deeper...I like your description of Sharin like that, I haven't played Sharin, but I consider G-senjou something similiar.

I started playing Kurenai no Tsuki. I like that the VN has the 癒し系 (soothing element), the atmosphere, the bishoujo-ge element, and the underlying mystery and setting all there. It feels balanced. There's already one or two Chekhov's guns that have been introduced, it seems like the routes are going to be eventful.

Finished Isuzu's route in HoshiMemo, and it was really good. Drama wasn't as good as in Asuho's, but I really liked the interactions with Isuzu. The H-scenes were pretty decent too, I'm actually glad they included them.

Now onto Chinami route.. ugh. Not a huge fan of her, but hopefully the story itself will be interesting.

Spoiler

There is that mysterious shinigami Ren that seems to hang around Chinami; I'm curious about her.

29 minutes ago, Barktooth said:

Finished Isuzu's route in HoshiMemo, and it was really good. Drama wasn't as good as in Asuho's, but I really liked the interactions with Isuzu. The H-scenes were pretty decent too, I'm actually glad they included them.

Now onto Chinami route.. ugh. Not a huge fan of her, but hopefully the story itself will be interesting.

Hide contents

There is that mysterious shinigami Ren that seems to hang around Chinami; I'm curious about her.

I didn't like Chinami either, and my opinion of her was still low even after her route, but I really liked the drama in her route. I'd actually consider it one of the better side routes in the game.

2 minutes ago, Kenshin_sama said:

I didn't like Chinami either, and my opinion of her was still low even after her route, but I really liked the drama in her route. I'd actually consider it one of the better side routes in the game.

Interesting, that gives me more motivation to start reading it xD Maybe I'll grow to like her too if she behaves nicely.

bl-manga owed pains borderline tormenting what´s considered the last sane remnants of i -
basically saying: vive le degeneration mentally & ave momiji wa akaku sono mi o somete !
clumsy writing, amateurishly charming visuals & no voices in there - some may find this a waste, but i couldnt care less.

btw. there´s plenty of nice music that befits its atmosphere.
btw2: the resolution is god-damn-aweful, though

Well I finally got some playing time this weekend, and went through Raziel's route in Tokyo Babel. I very much enjoyed it.

The game is very ... unique, with it's crazy fighting scenes all over the place.

Spoiler

I mean, killing God with bunker busters?

Defeating one of the most powerful angels in existence with an AK-47?

Eating God with a metal dragon?!?!?!

Dafuq is going on?! :wahaha:

It is nothing like anything I have ever read before, but one thing is for sure: it is very entertaining. I like the dark and grim setting, though the funny slice of life elements feel a little out of place. I mean, I love them, they are hilarious, but considering how dark and gloomy the game really is during its core story, it feels a bit weird.

Anyways, think I'm going to read the Sorami route next, then Lillith. EDIT: Just found out, I HAVE to... :wahaha: 

(This game really needs H-scenes.)

2 hours ago, Dergonu said:

I like the dark and grim setting, though the funny slice of life elements feel a little out of place. I mean, I love them, they are hilarious, but considering how dark and gloomy the game really is during its core story, it feels a bit weird.

Yeah, that's actually my biggest gripe with the game so far. The silly humour and battles simply didn't really fit to the dark scenario. A more cynical and bitter humour would have been more appropriate. The characters therefore appeared somehow dull and out of touch with reality because of that which made it hard for me to feel sympathy for them. The protagonist appeared like the only one who actually seemed to 'get' what's really going on, and he was the main reason I finished the route.

Fortunately, since the last part of Raziel's route when the game finally sticked to its darker roots and the characters got serious for a change, was pretty great.

Spoiler

Especially when they were confronting god and had to realize that it's pretty much an Old One - everything was screaming Lovecraft here.

So, since the VN finally showed some qualities it earned itself me reading the next route which would be Sorami's.

23 hours ago, VirginSmasher said:

I am currently on Root D in Root Double and despite the incredibly boring half of Root B, it has managed to recover my interest significantly since then.

Man, I envy you since I'm still crawling through route B. :vinty:

Well, I made a short detour and finished the first route of Tokyo Babel which was somehow more entertaining. But now I'm back and try to progress some more and it's almost like time had stopped.

Originally, I thought the routes in Root Double were named just in simple alphabetical order, but now I'm slowly starting to believe there's more behind it. I guess the 'A' in route A stands for 'Action', the 'B' in route B for 'Boredom', the 'C' in route C maybe for 'Confusion', the 'D' in route D probably for 'Dumb Revelations' and the 'E' in route E for... hmm... 'Expendable'? <_<

1 minute ago, Decay said:

Not really. The Xtend Episode primarily consists of content that was previously in Route D but they moved it to its own thing because it hurt the pacing too much.

Yeah, that's why I tagged it 'Expandable' since it's apparently just extra information not essentially required for the story. Well, I thought they named it route E since it comes after the regular 4 episodes. Not that it would be of any importance...

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

Man, I envy you since I'm still crawling through route B. :vinty:

Well, I made a short detour and finished the first route of Tokyo Babel which was somehow more entertaining. But now I'm back and try to progress some more and it's almost like time had stopped.

Originally, I thought the routes in Root Double were named just in simple alphabetical order, but now I'm slowly starting to believe there's more behind it. I guess the 'A' in route A stands for 'Action', the 'B' in route B for 'Boredom', the 'C' in route C maybe for 'Confusion', the 'D' in route D probably for 'Dumb Revelations' and the 'E' in route E for... hmm... 'Expendable'? <_<

Root B definitely picks up near the end, at least to me it does. Root C+D is my favorite part of the game and that was hard to top considering how much I liked Root A

18 minutes ago, VirginSmasher said:

Root B definitely picks up near the end, at least to me it does. Root C+D is my favorite part of the game and that was hard to top considering how much I liked Root A

I think I have the worst behind me. They noticed some supposed terrorist activity and tempo is increasing now.