What are you playing?

4 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Caniche, how many hours a day do you read?
I remember when we were reading I/O simultaniously, but since then you finished Gahtkhun, Root Double and Kara no Shoujo 2, one medium and two really big titles. :v

Geez, you're getting rekt'ed harder than I am doing to @Dergonu :wafuu: 

Norn9 : finished Kakeru's route...

36244.jpg

As bland as his character design. Senri is almost unbearable and is an horrible stereotype of the antisocial and cynical brat. Similarly, the few good ideas/scenes of this route were clearly botched : his "links" with Kakeru or Akito, and above all, the last chapter (one or two important characters vanished, without an explanation).

Y'know, I only read the prologue of Norn9 Niner, and already I was getting very, very bad vibes from this guy. A shame :<

6 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Caniche, how many hours a day do you read?
I remember when we were reading I/O simultaniously, but since then you finished Gahtkhun, Root Double and Kara no Shoujo 2, one medium and two really big titles. :v

It depends. Maybe between half an hour and six/seven hours (when i'm fighting my chronic insomnia...or when I'm in vacation/the game or VN is marvellous) :ph34r: And depending on the VN, my pace of reading (my interest, my "passion") is not the same. Sometimes it took me several months to finish a VN (two months to finish Clannad or Gahkthun ; one month to finish I/O ; one week to finish KnS2) :amane:

Eclipsed => I thought the same but decided to go against my instinct...it was a mistake :wahaha: But It's too bad...the rest of the casting is interesting (and sometimes, good).

Edit : Oh I forgot ! The routes in Norn9 are pretty short.

Edited by Canicheslayer

Slowly progressing through Root Double, onto like mid-Chapter 5

Welp, we had a good survival run full of last minute saves and suicide missions, but once your drugs get jacked it's time to start the blame game and to hell with everyone!

Jun was like my best buddy, sad to see her lose trust and snap so fast

~~
Overall right now there's too much mystery being placed on l0lamnesia so it's pretty frustrating when you're getting verbally manhandled by Ukita and can't do crap because I DONT KNOWWWWW

e: WTF WAS THAT END

I DON'T GET IT

FK THIS VN

Finished reading Janen-hen. I can't help it but give it a full on 10. :miyako: While that might seem ridiculous for something that barely even classifies as a fandisc, I've thoroughly enjoyed what Janen-hen has to offer.

There is an entire arc about the characters trying to make a movie adaptation of the original VN and falling into despair upon encountering the horrors we all have to face with horrible anime adaptations... what, you were a heroine in the original? Too bad m8, movie has only 2 hours, all routes except the true one are getting cut. Oh, nevermind, 80% if the true route is getting cut as well. :holo: 

This all is very meta and hilarious, but it is nothing compared to the manga-style parodies. Do you know Hiimdaisy's Persona 4 parody comic? Great, do you know the dubbed version of that? Imagine that, replace Persona 4 with Muramasa, and make it official. There is nothing more hilarious than stuff like "FullAnalDaemon Kikumasa" with each respective character actually dubbed by their proper seiyuus. :miyako: 

There is also an entirely animated Gurren Lagann-esque episode; the comedy is top notch, and I wish I would see stuff like this from fandiscs more often.

There is serious stuff too - I won't talk about that part much to avoid spoilers, but I will just say that Re: Blade Arts, written by the Demonbane author, is a beautiful loveletter and a sendoff to the original Muramasa release. Now I'm just sad that I have no more Muramasa to look forward to. :komari:

28 minutes ago, Vokoca said:

Finished reading Janen-hen. I can't help it but give it a full on 10. :miyako: While that might seem ridiculous for something that barely even classifies as a fandisc, I've thoroughly enjoyed what Janen-hen has to offer.

There is an entire arc about the characters trying to make a movie adaptation of the original VN and falling into despair upon encountering the horrors we all have to face with horrible anime adaptations... what, you were a heroine in the original? Too bad m8, movie has only 2 hours, all routes except the true one are getting cut. Oh, nevermind, 80% if the true route is getting cut as well. :holo: 

This all is very meta and hilarious, but it is nothing compared to the manga-style parodies. Do you know Hiimdaisy's Persona 4 parody comic? Great, do you know the dubbed version of that? Imagine that, replace Persona 4 with Muramasa, and make it official. There is nothing more hilarious than stuff like "FullAnalDaemon Kikumasa" with each respective character actually dubbed by their proper seiyuus. :miyako: 

There is also an entirely animated Gurren Lagann-esque episode; the comedy is top notch, and I wish I would see stuff like this from fandiscs more often.

There is serious stuff too - I won't talk about that part much to avoid spoilers, but I will just say that Re: Blade Arts, written by the Demonbane author, is a beautiful loveletter and a sendoff to the original Muramasa release. Now I'm just sad that I have no more Muramasa to look forward to. :komari:

Pardon my ignorance, but isn't this a thing?

7 hours ago, Vokoca said:

Oh, that's interesting. Didn't know about that one! Not sure what much more they can do with the premise, but hopefully it'll be good.

I thiink...they had a fiction contest, and then they took the winning entry and are going to make a novel about it.

FullAnalDaemon Kikumasa

LOOOOL

Finished Asuho's route in Hoshizora no Memoria, and surprisingly enough I have to say it was enjoyable. I usually don't like slice of life and romance, and there was a LOT of that stuff in this route, as well as the common route.. And yet, I wasn't bored of it at all (short of the hentai scenes, which as usual like in most story-focused VNs sucked). I wonder why that is. My guess so far is that the characters are just very good - to me, at least, most of them seem very multi-dimensional and interesting. Or maybe Asuho was just too damn cute.

I'm actually feeling pretty depressed right now because I don't get to see any more Asuho :( I could read another route but that would be cheating on her, and if I don't read it, I don't get too see her. Dammit, this feeling sucks!

All of that is fine and dandy, but even if the slice of life and romance was fairly entertaining, that alone wouldn't be enough for me to rate this VN highly. However, unless the other routes somehow ruin everything, I'm planning to give this a 9 or even a 10... because DAMN, I don't even know what it is, but I cried like a bitch during the scene where

Spoiler

Mare reaps Asuho's nightmare. And also for some reason I cried during the scene where Komomo saves You/Mare, though not quite as much :P

Neither of those scenes is actually even sad, so I'm not sure why I cried.. it might be due to that music track that plays during both of them. That is my absolute favorite BGM from any VN now, I think :P

Or maybe they were just "beautiful" scenes. As in, everything came together perfectly. And while I predicted the Komomo one, the other one was a very satisfying plot twist to me.

Either way, I sobbed into my pillow for over an hour after that. This VN ruined me lol

Damn I wish to have such a low point of being emotionally attached. :P

I laughed hard during Asuho route, when her 'drama' was "deus-ex-machined" on reader, and how hilariously riddiculous it was. :D

Spoiler

I can't hear on one ear [and like 70% deafness of other one too, because You was screaming in her deaf ear, and she wasn't reacting at all], so I'm no longer 'worthy' of my boyfriend and also I will fight with my dad over nothing, because he changed his job from astrnom to cook, because I was stagazing when I have an accident, and absolutely nothign here made any sense :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm reading Chou Dengeki Stryker. And I really like how juvenile it is. I feel like watching some shounen anime for kids. :D And structure of this vn really helps that feeling too, it's sorted with small 5-30 minutes chapters, each one is pushing main plot forward, but it's still a short, closed story.
And it's so refreshing to not have any annoiying characters, any stupid tsunderes (there is one tsun... or so it seems, but she's more like her anger is justifiabled by obliviousnes of protagonist, than simply being stupid tsun), and main charater, who is donkan and oblivious, it's not an idiot. He is just blinded by 'right things to do' he doesn't see how anybody can have double meanings to their words... and it's fine, it works in that type of story.
Fights are fine, they're not dragging too much, which is always nice.
Art is superb, a lot of high quality animations, sprites, great music, nothing more to say.

Last thing - hummour. While not really hilarious, it's nice and funny. But best point of it is that is not obscene, it's not 'lewd' at all. Such a refreshing thing. I'm sick of "OMG he saw my pantsu I must kick him!" type of "humour".

25 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

I laughed hard during Asuho route, when her 'drama' was "deus-ex-machined" on reader, and how hilariously riddiculous it was.

Hide contents

I can't hear on one ear [and like 70% deafness of other one too, because You was screaming in her deaf ear, and she wasn't reacting at all], so I'm no longer 'worthy' of my boyfriend and also I will fight with my dad over nothing, because he changed his job from astrnom to cook, because I was stagazing when I have an accident, and absolutely nothign here made any sense :D

Yeah you have the impression to be hearing normally if you don't pay attention, I suffer of frequent ear wax plugs that makes me almost semi-def on one ear until they're removed. But that's just an excuse. The real reason she breaks up with the protagonist is because she's keeping hidden the real name of his forgotten childhood friend from the beginning.

11 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Damn I wish to have such a low point of being emotionally attached. :P

I laughed hard during Asuho route, when her 'drama' was "deus-ex-machined" on reader, and how hilariously riddiculous it was. :D

Reveal hidden contents

I know, right? Well, I shouldn't complain about it, it's a good thing I'm able to enjoy it, there's always still time to get jaded and stop being able to enjoy writing like this xD

Then again I was pretty hard on Grisaia for some of the more ridiculous stuff there, yet it just doesn't seem to bother me in this VN as much. The most annoying things to me besides too much SOL were them cutting important scenes short and not tying everything up properly...

Spoiler

Like when the Kosame vs. Mare/You fight happens, afterwards they just exchange a few words about it in school and it's never mentioned again. I guess this one will probably be focused on more during Kosame/Komomo routes though so we'll see.

But then there's the scene with Mare reaping Asuho's nightmare, they just go have make-up sex afterwards and it's never mentioned again. And it seems all Mare did was destroy that wish card and she didn't actually make Asuho forget anything (she mentions Yume's name to You when they are having sex, so she still remembers it...), so I wonder how that was enough to fix her insecurities. I would have liked more if Mare actually made her completely forget You made that wish in elementary school. Either way it would have been nice to hear Asuho's thoughts on it afterwards...

And then there's Asuho making up with her dad scene at the photo exhibition.. He is just kinda like "Oh I misunderstood this whole time. Cool." And that's it, it's like nothing ever happened.

But these were all pretty minor I guess, the scenes themselves still made a good impact, it just reverted back to SOL a bit too quickly for my taste after them.

11 hours ago, WinterfuryZX said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah you have the impression to be hearing normally if you don't pay attention, I suffer of frequent ear wax plugs that makes me almost semi-def on one ear until they're removed. But that's just an excuse. The real reason she breaks up with the protagonist is because she's keeping hidden the real name of his forgotten childhood friend from the beginning.

Yeah that pretty much explains it.

Spoiler

It's still a bit ridiculous though because man, their relationship must have been hanging off a very thin thread if You finding out she has a hearing disorder was enough to make her BREAK UP with him. Wut? I guess she always thought she was inferior to Yume and You was only going out with her out of pity, and the hearing disorder was somehow enough to trigger that insecurity again. And the scene where he tests her hearing was unrealistic, there's no way that calling out to her from different sides could make that much of a difference. Her left ear should have still been able to hear him from the other side perfectly fine.

37 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

Chapter 3 of Root Before

It's starting to get a bit more interesting now that there's glimmers of what's really going on during all of this SoL fest yada yada

BTW I'M LEARNING THINGS GUYS

YVZiknP.jpg (960×539)

I'M BLIND

Easily the most mind-blowing part in all of Root Double.

I'm currently reading Tokyo Babel (which is awesome btw) and I have a question about Lilith's route:

Spoiler

In the walkthrough Setsuna's Ending is the last one. Does that imply that you are supposed to read that one last to get the proper true ending for the whole story? 

Finally went and finished the Gahkthun Fandisk. For a fandisk it was pretty alright.

The game divided in two parts; the repeating "Shining 6 days" where you choose between events from the map screen, and the titular "Shining Night", which is the grand conclusion. "Shining 6 days" is mostly slice of life, and it's pretty good one at that, granted you liked the characters. There's drunk Neon, Berta being super moe and so on. And while it's not exactly dark, it's not all fun and games either. If there's something that's hindering the enjoyment, it's the fact they show the same scene from multiple perspectives a lot. At times it works pretty well. Sakurai's characters are pretty internally conflicted so the feel of the scene can change a lot depending who's thoughts you get to read and there are some individual parts that make it worth your while. But at worst it's seeing the same scene 6 times with very minimal changes. (luckily that's only one scene)
Shining Night also touches some of the subjects that weren't included in Gahkthun. Like Izumi's situation, Tesla's and few other characters (Neon's friends, especially the last one's) pasts that were somewhat neglected in the original. But for all the questions that are answered it introduces few new as well. For example vigilantes and "The Shining League" seems quite integral part of the story from the first glance, but apparently it was just a shout-out the Gahkthun Anthology novel. Talk about small disappointment, I wanted to see Sakurai writing about superheroes in classical western style... 

The finale "Shining Night" is also pretty cool. There's epic confrontations, and even though the fight itself feels little too close to that in the end of Gahkhtun, the ending itself is pretty satisfying. Fandisk is by concept already pretty difficult thing to finish properly since it's basically a continuation to an already finished story, but not a sequel either, so it's all the better.

I wouldn't say the fandisk is very good visual novel, but it's not bad either. The structure is little crooked and it suffers from not being it's own story. Still it's good fun for those who liked the characters, and even though it might be little weak in terms of plot, the writing itself is good as ever. There's some fascinating things tucked inside even the smaller scenes and the familiar charm is still there.

2 hours ago, granit said:

I'm currently reading Tokyo Babel (which is awesome btw) and I have a question about Lilith's route:

Hide contents

In the walkthrough Setsuna's Ending is the last one. Does that imply that you are supposed to read that one last to get the proper true ending for the whole story? 

There's no true true (canon) ending for tokyo babel overall, but every route has a true end. 

Setsuna's end is a slight branch from Lilith's true end; it's nothing special really.

5 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

There's no true true (canon) ending for tokyo babel overall, but every route has a true end. 

Setsuna's end is a slight branch from Lilith's true end; it's nothing special really.

I see. Thank you!