What are you playing?

There's not a lot of action stuff translated, really. Looking at your list, you've already read almost all of them. Maybe give Cho Dengeki Stryker a shot. It's way more light-hearted than TB in that Overdrive kind of way. It's not amazing or anything but it's decent, I thought.

Progressed a bit more with Tokyo Babel. Unfortunately the writer doesn't really seem to care about his own apocalyptic story, because he's pretty much just given a bunch of school clowns fancy names of angels and demons. Apart from that it's just run of the mill school life moege. Since it more or less already disqualified itself as a serious story VN, I try to do the same like in Comyu and just enjoy it for the slice of life comedy. It's a lot harder though because characers and writing are several leagues below Comyu. Well, maybe it'll get better sometime... :unsure:

6 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Progressed a bit more with Tokyo Babel. Unfortunately the writer doesn't really seem to care about his own apocalyptic story, because he's pretty much just given a bunch of school clowns fancy names of angels and demons. Apart from that it's just run of the mill school life moege. Since it more or less already disqualified itself as a serious story VN, I try to do the same like in Comyu and just enjoy it for the slice of life comedy. It's a lot harder though because characers and writing are several leagues below Comyu. Well, maybe it'll get better sometime... :unsure:

I haven't read Comyu, so I'm spared from the dreaded-comparisons-that-ruin-my-enjoyment-of-something-else, but I can understand how some people wouldn't enjoy the clash between SoL-clowny-moe-shenanigans in a serious/apocalyptic setting such as Tokyo Babel's.

I loved all of those moments, though ^_^

Idk if it'll get better for you, but for all routes the story usually drops / tones down those shenanigans after the Second Stratum starting on Third Stratum.

3 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

I haven't read Comyu, so I'm spared from the dreaded-comparisons-that-ruin-my-enjoyment-of-something-else, but I can understand how some people wouldn't enjoy the clash between SoL-clowny-moe-shenanigans in a serious/apocalyptic setting such as Tokyo Babel's.

I loved all of those moments, though ^_^

Idk if it'll get better for you, but for all routes the story usually drops / tones down those shenanigans after the Second Stratum starting on Third Stratum.

Well, Comyu had two really outstanding characters with Kagome and Mayuki that could almost run the show on their own. I didn't see a character with comparable qualities in TB yet, so I'm still searching for something that captivates me.

Things would be probably much easier if the writer had a more consistent self-ironic writing style, instead of constantly jumping between serious and comedy. I've real problems to follow those mood changes and distinguish between the parts where he wants to tell something serious or funny.

1 hour ago, ChaosRaven said:

Well, Comyu had two really outstanding characters with Kagome and Mayuki that could almost run the show on their own. I didn't see a character with comparable qualities in TB yet, so I'm still searching for something that captivates me.

Things would be probably much easier if the writer had a more consistent self-ironic writing style, instead of constantly jumping between serious and comedy. I've real problems to follow those mood changes and distinguish between the parts where he wants to tell something serious or funny.

Seemed like smooth enough transitions for me to follow along with.

Tbh I disliked Comyu - I found it was trying way too hard to be dark and edgy for some routes - and completely nonsensical and silly in the others. That is my personal experience in regards to themes at odds with each other.

Can't really offer any insight on how to appricette it, other then  "just take it for what it is". Otherwise, you should really ask yourself if you are spending your time wisely, reading something you clearly have no interest in?

1 hour ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Tbh I disliked Comyu - I found it was trying way too hard to be dark and edgy for some routes - and completely nonsensical and silly in the others. That is my personal experience in regards to themes at odds with each other.

Yeah, I had my issues with that too, but I found it easier to tolerate them because I liked the characters much more.

1 hour ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Can't really offer any insight on how to appricette it, other then  "just take it for what it is". Otherwise, you should really ask yourself if you are spending your time wisely, reading something you clearly have no interest in?

True words. Though I don't want to give up too fast. Sometimes I need a bit more time to get used to the style of a VN. I'll therefore stick to it some more time and then decide if it makes sense to continue.

Finished Kara Shoujo - The Second Episode. Clearly a wonderful sequel to KnS...and Cartagra. I prefered the atmosphere, the mysteries (and the horror scenes) of the first KnS, but I must admit KnS2's plot and art are globally better (especially Art...the CGs :wub:). In the same way, I really loved the relation, the link between the two protagonists.

Otherwise, the True End is just...terrific : I want KnS3 :sacchan:

9/10

2 hours ago, ChaosRaven said:

Yeah, I had my issues with that too, but I found it easier to tolerate them because I liked the characters much more.

True words. Though I don't want to give up too fast. Sometimes I need a bit more time to get used to the style of a VN. I'll therefore stick to it some more time and then decide if it makes sense to continue.

Hopefully you will find something redeeming in it - I will admit, while I liked most of the characters in TB, I would say I never really felt very invested. With the exception of one certain character, (but that would be a spoiler. :sachi:) Needless to say, I found that character to be really well done, and conveyed a bond I was emotionally drawn into far more then anything else in TB.

As for Comyu - I dunno, I couldn't forgive it for it's choice of storytelling, I felt like I was robbed of half the VN's setting - what with the completely random side-stories that consisted as the other two routes. I had esp. high hopes for one of those characters, whos' story turned out to be reallllllly weak. :komari:

@Canicheslayer I really should try starting up KnS1 again - I stopped shortly after:

Spoiler

The first murderer was caught. I just kinda lost my adrenaline after that part, and got frustrated with the slow and meandering pace it set after~

Loved Cartagra though, was the first "dark" VN I had read in ages...last being...Muvluv I think? wow, 4 years...that really did leave a mark on me, huh? lol.

26 minutes ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

[...]

@Canicheslayer I really should try starting up KnS1 again - I stopped shortly after:

Hide contents

The first murderer was caught. I just kinda lost my adrenaline after that part, and got frustrated with the slow and meandering pace it set after~

Loved Cartagra though, was the first "dark" VN I had read in ages...last being...Muvluv I think? wow, 4 years...that really did leave a mark on me, huh? lol.

You're right : there was a little problem of rythmn/pace after the famous scene. However the True End's revelations are really, really interesting...:holo: And If you loved Cartagra, KnS 2 is for you (but you MUST finish the first one) ;)

Edited by Canicheslayer

3 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

I really should try starting up KnS1 again - I stopped shortly after:

Reveal hidden contents

If you wanna build up some tolerance against The Darkness, go Corpse Party -> Swan Song -> euphoria :sachi: (jk don't)

Gogo finish up KnS!

So here I was about to finally start Amnesia: Memories after spending years of internal-conflict-deciding to bail on Fate/Stay (dw, I'm planning on reading it this summer for sure, trust me :holo:

But then I remembered Root Double exists, so I'm going with that. 

~~
I also went through The Leisure of Grisaia.

HeheheheheHEHEHE, it's been too long.

You can pretty much consider it an extra chapter 30min ~ 1h in length that could be tossed into Grisaia's common route. 'Cept it's girls-only, and they're full of hormones, so take that as you will :sachi:

Spoiler

hjSwRUD.jpg (1600×900)

I forgot how great Sachi's impersonations of Makina were :makina:

2Bea8Hu.jpg (1600×900)

DOOOO IT, DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT!!!!!!!!!@#

n55rOYT.jpg (1600×900) FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHH

uk8XD2t.jpg (1600×900)
I'd love to make Yumiko MY bi- err, pet :sachi:

75kHx6f.jpg (1600×900) ^Btw, can you guess why Yumiko got shafted and wasn't included in this CG?

Spoiler

YXBpIKk.jpg (1600×900)

:yumiko:

Hah... Meikyuu + Rakuen needs to come out already.

Just finished Steins;Gate 0. Overall I give it a 9/10, whatever these numbers might mean. I liked it the same, if not a bit more than the original Steins;Gate - it explored parts of the story that didn't really need fleshing out in a way that was surprisingly entertaining and in the end earned its place in the series as a true sequel in my eyes.

Having finished the VN I've decided to check a walkthrough out of curiosity. I was pretty shocked by getting the true route on my second way through - but as it turns out, the first route I cleared, a route that felt so good that I figured it had to be the only thing you can get at first because of how well it set everything up... that route not only hides behind several triggers, but it is also the only ending required to unlock the true route. You see, you can get any route but the true route right from the start... but somehow, I ended up clearing the only relatively hidden condition to unlock the true route on my first way through, and ended up getting the true ending on my second way through, completely unwittingly and unintentionally.

Given how ambiguous (but not nearly as difficult as the S;G ones) the choices are, I really don't know if I have good luck, or just the worst luck ever. :komari:

26 minutes ago, douggle said:

Finished Sekien no Inganock, and holy fucking shitballs, why didn't I read this sooner? Seriously the atmosphere, the music, the charcters the story I think I may have found my next 10 on my vndb no exaggeration 

You're not done yet, you still have Sharnoth and Gahkthun and you better read them soon. :upupu:

Kerkan a best

Just now, Rooke said:

On the downside, the translation for Inganock is lacking and so the full impact of what the author wanted to convey never reaches the reader. Quite a ways from the full impact, if my guess is right.

There is that, plus it was an early Ixrec translation.