What are you playing?

2 hours ago, Kawasumi said:

I have thought about this being my first BL VN, do tell what you think about it afterwards

I really like it so far, I think I'm about halfway through my first playthrough. My friend recommended it to me and she thought I would like it over Dramatical Murder. It was just a huge pain to install, that's the only bad thing.

2 hours ago, Suzu Fanatic said:

Man, you really marathoned through that route :sachi: I'm envious, for some reason I just wasn't very emotionally invested in her arc. :/

Ya, I'm extremely fond of Sorami; tbh if that Bad Ending happened to Raziel / Lilith instead, I probably wouldn't bat an eyelash >.>

~~
Anyways, Sorami's True End... Hm. 

I liked it, but uh, it felt a little...too perfect? I'd say it was borderline Swan Song Good End in terms of how cop out it was and how it undermined the choices and sacrifices that had to be made in the other Ends by providing a "Hahaha whoop-dee-doo, here's a scenario where EVERYTHING works out all fine and dandy, so screw you ggez Setsuna for choosing to go X alone or choosing to Y with Sorami and causing her to go Z".

But eh, all is well if I get to see Sorami's beaming smiling again :kosame: 

Spoiler

P99zuto.png (1019×569)

~~
Won't be able to get to Lilith's route 'til this weekend, prob. 

Currently on chapter 16 of Princess Evangile. For some reason I can't help but wonder who has a greater fear of fire: Masaya or The Hound?

Also started the route path for the harem route for Kyonyuu Fantasy 2 if. Should be interesting to see how this is going to differ from the events of the other route path...which I hope isn't as disappointing.

Still reading Coμ. It seems I'm close to the finish of Benio route. Compared to common part I found it more interesting, but I have that one strange feeling... I feel like I'm playing a computer RPG and I'm picking quests from random NPCs, so much random and disconnected events seems to be. Sure, there is a major plotline that all those small events are eventually connected to, but still that strange feeling don't disappear :P

my reaction to the fate route ending

no.gif

I get that It couldn't have ended any other way  but " Your heart is probably a little broken (in a happy way)," Tay you lying sack of sh!t, what kind of happy am I supposed to feel???? My heart is broken in a very broken way right now

1 hour ago, bogdankl said:

no.gif

I get that It couldn't have ended any other way  but " Your heart is probably a little broken (in a happy way)," Tay you lying sack of sh!t, what kind of happy am I supposed to feel???? My heart is broken in a very broken way right now

Bittersweet endings, yay! Suffer well. UBW is the good stuff; hope you enjoy it.

I haven't been making time for VNs aside from editing... but starting tonight I'm going to get back to spending a little time with Grisaia each night, to do my second route. However, first I need to decide on what that route should be... I can't even narrow it down among the 4 remaining (all but Sachi).

5 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

Bittersweet endings, yay! Suffer well. UBW is the good stuff; hope you enjoy it.

I haven't been making time for VNs aside from editing... but starting tonight I'm going to get back to spending a little time with Grisaia each night, to do my second route. However, first I need to decide on what that route should be... I can't even narrow it down among the 4 remaining (all but Sachi).

It's extra important that you don't listen to random complains about Michiru's route. Do not fall into that trap.

Finished Axel's two true endings in Ozmafia. The route was longer than the one from Pachet, but it still felt rather short. Even if the VN is tagged as very long in VNDB, I'd consider it of average length at most judging by the two routes I've played so far. So if it's really a long VN then it either has one hell of a lot of shorter routes, or one super long true route at the end. Not sure what applies here.

The route itself lacked some more interaction from Fuka. It was still kind of charming but I expected either more romance or story and it didn't really deliver a lot of both. But arguably Ozmafia's biggest flaw so far are the many choices. Although I do like a reasonable amount of choices to influence the story, but here they come so often that they seriously disrupt the reading flow. The title apparently has a pletora of different endings, but I think it would have been better if they've skipped a few of those and deepened a few selected ones instead.

I think I'll do a bit of VN hopping now and continue with Tokyo Babel.

20 hours ago, bogdankl said:

no.gif

I'm a huge fan, so my imput might be subjective - but F/SN is one of the few stories that I can discover new points of views, and symbolisms, with each replay. I only read it once a year, or every other year - but up to date, I've always managed to learn something new about the characters and their situations. (of course, it involves a lot of "reading between the lines" and thus purely subjective to my own thought process.)

Might not come across as a satisfying end right now, but come back to it down the road, and you might see it from a different angle. :sachi:

19 hours ago, Fred the Barber said:

I haven't been making time for VNs aside from editing... but starting tonight I'm going to get back to...

I heartily approve your new signature :D Serious question though, do you think editing the game has spoilt your ability to enjoy it since you've had to examine 2 routes so carefully? Just as a reference point, I have not found that when translating a game, even if takes me more than 10x longer to get through the route.

13 hours ago, Jun Inoue said:

It's extra important that you don't listen to random complains about Michiru's route. Do not fall into that trap.

The only reason I would recommend reading through Michiru's arc last is because (very mild spoiler, if you want to go in completely blind do not read)

Spoiler

it's the only route that has a supernatural element

which sets it far apart from the rest of the game. I remember reading somewhere (moogy's blog, I think?) that it was written by one lone guy who didn't work on anything else, so it kind of makes sense. I really like Michiru's character and the arc itself isn't outright bad, but I can certainly see that there's cause for complaint.

On a different note, I started playing Da Capo. Struck me as a very vanilla game, which interested me since the majority of the VNs I've played have been relatively low-concept.

14 minutes ago, wolfrayet said:

The only reason I would recommend reading through Michiru's arc last is because (very mild spoiler, if you want to go in completely blind do not read)

Hide contents

it's the only route that has a supernatural element

which sets it far apart from the rest of the game. I remember reading somewhere (moogy's blog, I think?) that it was written by one lone guy who didn't work on anything else, so it kind of makes sense. I really like Michiru's character and the arc itself isn't outright bad, but I can certainly see that there's cause for complaint.

On a different note, I started playing Da Capo. Struck me as a very vanilla game, which interested me since the majority of the VNs I've played have been relatively low-concept.

I'm pretty sure that yes, Michiru's route was written by someone else. I think there were a few writers who divided the routes between them? (not sure on this one)

All the advice is helpful, but I remain indecisive; I think it's mostly going to come down to random chance. Or maybe most realistically, I'll probably just land with Amane since she's going to proposition me first.

3 hours ago, ittaku said:

I heartily approve your new signature :D Serious question though, do you think editing the game has spoilt your ability to enjoy it since you've had to examine 2 routes so carefully? Just as a reference point, I have not found that when translating a game, even if takes me more than 10x longer to get through the route.

I'm not actually sure myself. I can certainly say that editing has given me a lot more tunnel vision than I would normally have - usually my mental map of the game would include a broad view of the characters, a fair bit of interest in all of them, and a lot of indecisiveness about whose route to play next (see the above Grisaia discussion...), but instead I've been completely fixated on the characters whose routes I've been editing and not paying attention to the other characters. To some extent I almost get annoyed when I have to read scenes with them, since they're getting between me and what I need to do. Even among the characters I'm interested in but not editing, I largely can't remember their names :o

But aside from that oddity, no, I don't think it's hurt my enjoyment. If anything I might be enjoying it more this way than if I were just playing it, because I get to see more of the effort put into the VN. I notice a lot more consistency across distant scenes, for instance, which I otherwise would probably miss.

Finally started reading Hoshizora no Memoria today, somehow it's actually meeting my expectations so far (they were pretty high). Really loving the music and backgrounds which create a great atmosphere, and it seems to have some of the most beautiful sprites ever... If only they weren't so pixelated at 800x600 :(

I'm also enjoying the story a lot, I'm a sucker for the whole idea of returning to your childhood town and reuniting with your childhood friends. Now if only there would be less boring comedy scenes with Chinami.. I mean, I don't think they could have made her ANY more annoying.

10 hours ago, Kawasumi said:

I just finished my first vn in japanese! finally lol.

Amane switch, the drama and story was solid, im gonna write a review or more like right after impressions in a blog.

\o/ Time for you to help keep this thread then alive:

Finally completed my pilgrimage and finished Tokyo Babel

Lilith's route was great. Samael and Cerberus made for great companions, they seriously blew every other side-character out the window. And let's not forget Mini-Lilith ^_^

Spoiler

VbzsLJU.png (1019×573)

KYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I also liked the implications regarding replicas and individuality. Anybody who's played the sci-fi horror game SOMA knows how fun it can be to ponder about that

Best of all though, I finally got my heavily, heavily desired

Spoiler

Heroine ganks Protagonist scene. And who better to do that than Lilith :sachi: so this VN gets automatic 10/10

KvizGjP.png (1017×569)
Well, almost ganks. But yeah, it was AWESOME seeing Lilith casually Bang!!! Setsuna's arm and leg off while he refuses to fight her

Then they make Samael go through the SAME thing, as painful as that was to watch, but she manages to trooper up and near-death crawl her way back to the also-near-death Setsuna so they can polymerization. 

So touching ^_^

...I'm a sadist

BUT, I feel the story could've, and should've, wrapped up around here, given how climaxy and powerful this moment was. But nope! Turns out you're only 50% of the way through, GLHF with 40% more filler battles before you can finally do final boss round 2 (which then only lasts like 5 seconds). TL;DR the second half for me suffered from ughhh pacing from the oversaturation of battle scenes.

That difference between the Setsuna End and Lilith True End, though. Simply laughable. Like C'MON MAN, WHAT HAPPENED, YOUR POWER OF LOVE AIN'T STRONG ENOUGH SO YOU DROP HER, SETSUNA?!!! WTF!@#$

True End epilogue is one of the best epilogues I've ever read. And it was only 2 lines :makina:

Spoiler

sqTR8WU.png (1019×569)

It just felt simply wonderful that these characters, after everything they've been through- Heaven, Hell, Angels, Demons, God, Tiamat; after all of the conspiracies, reisen d'etres, and fate-of-the-universe BS, we finally get to see them be normal.

Have fun guys, you've earned it :heart:

14 minutes ago, Decay said:

I liked the battles. :(

Yeah, I'm probably being a lot harsher since I was just sooo hyped during the SvL confrontation but then it's like nope, gotta wait for round 2, here's two more hours of other fights in the meantime!

Spoiler

I would've liked to see Lilith v. Leviathan and Lilith v. God in more detail rather than her offscreening them and then having (essentially) repeat Setsuna v Adam and Setsuna v Astaroth 

I've reworded my post though to sound less harsh in that criticism, this VN is solid 8.5/10 for me and it was silly (blasphemous) of me to stall it :sachi: