What are you playing?

Grisaia. Amane route. I'm right after the rain 

Spoiler

felt for a first time during retrospectin, I also had a scene, where Amane was playing cards with other girls, and betting chocolate against some candies.

How long till this segment will end? Everything without Makina is just booooooring, even if idea is interesting (and that segment had great ideas behind it!), writting is dragging on so much, it just kills pacing.

Having finished Steins;Gate, I'm back on Fruit of Grisaia, resuming Sachi's route (my first route). It's enjoyable so far (I'm in the middle of a very long flashback sequence), but there's a small part of me that agrees with this:

3 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Everything without Makina is just booooooring

For me, Makina and Michiru are the spices that make everything else in Grisaia better.

Just now, Fred the Barber said:

Having finished Steins;Gate, I'm back on Fruit of Grisaia, resuming Sachi's route (my first route). It's enjoyable so far (I'm in the middle of a very long flashback sequence), but there's a small part of me that agrees with this:

For me, Makina and Michiru are the spices that make everything else in Grisaia better.

Grisaia's common route is top tier banter and Amane's route is great

Yuuji is great

Yumiko has some p. great sex scenes

Didn't care much for the rest of Grisaia tbh

Should read Makina route sometime

7/10

17 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

Michiru is overloud with her non stoping screams, but while I didn't liked her at beginning, I started to feel sad for her in Amane route and now I just can't not sympathize with her. Poor thing.

15 minutes ago, Funyarinpa said:

Grisaia's common route is top tier banter and Amane's route is great
Yuuji is great
Yumiko has some p. great sex scenes
7/10

Grisaia is another Sharin no Kuni for me. Overly praised, one of the worst written, rarely funny, cancerous, with sometimes bad ass protagonist (who is just shit as any other protag when comes to things that matter), overly stupid in terms of cast and events and also boring things I've ever read. I disagree with everything you have wrote here. :PAlthough haven't read Yumiko route yet, Amane's h-scenes were disasterous. So far her route is around 2/10, and her retrospection is around 3/10. Sigh. (Common was between 5-6). But I will manage and finish it. Maybe routes written by somebody else (Michiru, Yumiko and Sacchi) will be better.

4 hours ago, Vorathiel said:

Grisaia. Amane route. I'm right after the rain 

Reveal hidden contents

felt for a first time during retrospectin, I also had a scene, where Amane was playing cards with other girls, and betting chocolate against some candies.

How long till this segment will end? Everything without Makina is just booooooring, even if idea is interesting (and that segment had great ideas behind it!), writting is dragging on so much, it just kills pacing.

I dont agree with you on the writing, just the pacing lol

Just now, Kawasumi said:

I dont agree with you on the writing, just the pacing lol

What I mean by writing is that this writer tends to focus on unimportant stuff, leaving the better parts in some short summary.
There was a scene in common route. Michiru and Amane were making gyoza dumplings. Scene was around 15 or more minutes long. There was nothing but talking about making food. Preparing ingredients, choping the cabbage, etc.
Then came Makina and said she wants some too. ... and then came starry sky background with narration from Yuuji: 'after that he and Makina went to other girls to persuade them to came to his room for gyoza party, then gyoza party was happening, everybody was throwing in their favourite leftover ingredients, making a lot of intersting tastes, etc. Then there was a lot of funny dialogues, laughter, and party lasted till late night.' End of scene.

So he focused on making food, without any meaning to this, and left interesting character interaction part completly untouched. And there is A LOT of scenes like that. Even in this retrospection in Amane route:

Spoiler

long scene about dog's race and why he can't drink water directly from the river. Instead of showing group dynamics in this terrible situation, which would be really interesting (I love the lesbian couple characters in this, want more about them!), whe have 15 minutes long pointless dog oriented scene.

And so on, and so on and so on and I'm asleep. Thankfully this retrospection is better than 'proper' Amane route, which was annoying (Yuuji actions towards Amane), iritating (Amane bahaviour) and sad (Michiru situations).

2 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I knew you and I had different tastes, but damn. The Grisaia common route was approximately the funniest thing ever. Different strokes for different folks, though.

Obviously. ;)

But I have a theory why humour rarely worked on me here. In Majikoi, or even MuvLuv Extra I was in constant 'happy' mode, jokes were appearing just one after another, one laughter was providing another, and so on. Chain reaction almost.

While in Grisaia was like that: boring-boring-boring-boring-joke-boring-boring-joke-joke-boring-boring-boring-joke, etc. There was no constant time of laughter, every funny scene was [abruptly cut, but this is a matter for different post] between a lot of boring stuff, and my 'laughter metter' was just down to zero, and one joke can't make me laugh in an isntant. I must have a good humour, and boring stuff i nGrisaia common route was just draining me of my humour.

Or maybe i'll write it right here - jokes in Grisaia are abruptly cut. There were a few really nice scenes. Nothing super funny, nothing laughter idicating, but nice. I was smiling, the hype was building, everything was going to really funny climax of the scene... but it never happened. And I was left dumbfounded and almost embarassed that I'm smiling. It was a few times. I remember now one example - scene with nicknames. It was funny scene, started funny, laugh meter was rising, Makina was super funny, and Yuuji finally 'snaped' and started giving everybody ultra simple nicknames (it was  Sachin, Makin, Aman, or something similiar) and.... Boom, another scene. Nothing happened, no conclusion, no 'joke'. Just buildup. And where is build up and no pay off - that's a failed attempt at comedy, it really is depressing, because you're preparing yourself for laughter, you want to laugh, and you're left with nothing, and it just depress you, draining humour meter to almost zero.

Another thing - I don't like to laugh when dumb people doing dumb things. Or when people are clumsy. That's why I started to sympathize with Michiru. Scene when they were making a clay figures, and she did a horrible undoggy dog, was just sad. She was trying her best, and everybody were cruely laughing at her. Not funny at all.

38 minutes ago, Vorathiel said:

She was trying her best, and everybody were cruely laughing at her.

There seemed to be a bit of this in Grisaia; bullying pretty much. It had the same effect on me.

It think the VN that gave me the most smiles and audible chuckles was Princess Evangile.

4 hours ago, kingdomcome said:

There seemed to be a bit of this in Grisaia; bullying pretty much. It had the same effect on me.

I really think you guys are reading too much into that.  The writers decided that they wanted a consistent boke (funny man) to round out the comedy, so they picked Michiru.  Her entire role in the common route is to be as stupid and ridiculous as possible, and Yuuji is a great tsukkomi (straight man) to her boke.  The others just enjoy messing with her to see just how stupid and silly she'll act.  They don't really seriously bully her, as they don't really hate her or wish her serious harm in any sense of the word.  In her route (SPOILERS),

Spoiler

it's revealed that her boke and tsundere personality is a sham, and that the whole thing was an act that she put up to make everyone happy.  In other words, she knowingly does stupid things because she wants the others to enjoy her company.  If she hated it (which I don't believe she ever said she did), then I doubt she would have kept herself in that situation for so long without suffering some sort of mental breakdown a lot sooner than she does in her route.

I didn't read the spoiler in your post.
But sort of agree with you - this is not a bullying per se. It's just mocking. Laughing at stupidity of one, procuring situations in which the stupid one would be even more stupid. Contrast is strong, situations are often ridiculous, so objective obtained.
Maybe that's fun for some people. For me - not much. It seems to me like Adam Sandler type of comedy - stupid people doing stupid stuff.

5 posts above I wrote about bad writing in Grisaia, giving one example. Now I found second, much stronger one.

Amane route spoilers.

Which is better? Decide for yourself (but please excuse my pooor grammar and vocabulary. that's not the point)

Version 1:

Spoiler

W9kvEi0.jpg
qN36rK5.jpg
H2GWi9p.jpg

Then Hirooka thanks Amane for wiping, we're back in 'present time' and scene ends.

Version 2:

Spoiler

"That white spots on her body... it was mold. And it was itchy.
I dropped the moderately hot towel against Hirooka sans body, and began to wipe. The mold came off cleanly, but underneath, there were innumerable angry, swollen red welts, where fingernails had dug into her flesh.
'You really need to try not to scratch, remember?' I said to Hirooka, while looking at her fresh scratch wounds.
'...I'm sorry... I just... couldn't... stand it...'
I finished wiping Hirooka san's body. It seemed to her like a blisfull experience.
'Amane, thank you.' - she said with a delicate smile on her sunken face. Freed from unmanagable itchiness, she quickly fallen asleep.
(...)
'Kazuki, we need to talk' I said quietly. 'It's about Hirooka'.
'Spit it out' - Kazuki encouraged me.
'When I wiped mold of her body, I found that she was scratching herself nearly to blood. Her whole body is swollen and red. I told her to stop doing this, but she said that her itchines is too strong for her to bear. I'm afraid that she will harm herself.'
'Scratching makes mold spread across her body much faster.' Kazuki answered with troubled face. 'That's a problem. For tonight we can try restrain her hands and just look how it went tomorrow'.
Hirooka was still asleep, when we tied her arms to tent's posts. We left her some loose, but not enough that she was able to reach her body.
(...went to sleep...)
DATE CHANGE, 4:22 A.M.

'AAAAAARRRRRGHHHH!!!'
Sudden scream woke me up instantely. I looked up on Kazuki's face and saw in her eyes that she also already knew. She knew that this scream was our fault.
Without even second of hestitation we run to our hospital tent.
'GHYYYAAAARGH!!!'
It was Hirooka. Her itchiness was such a torment, she was wirthing her hands against her restraints, and scrathing her injured body against hard ground.
Her face was almost unrecognizable. Gnarled in agony, with tears flowing across her cheeks, and her teeth bitting her lips in short pauses between her terryfying screams.
'Hirooka!' I shouted while trying to immobilize her.
'Keep her down Amane, I will boil a water and bring fresh towels' Kazuki shortly said and left the tent.
(...)
'I'm so sorry Hirooka san' I wept while wiping her body. She was so exausted from all the screaming and writhing, that she nearly felt unconscious.
'I'll promise that I'll come to you as often as possible, and wipe you whenever you'll need it.
(...)"

The end of scene.

And that's why Grisaia just angers me. They make good, possibly blood pumping situations...non existent. Instead we are getting a lot of fillers.
But I must add I started to really like this segment. No VN ever made me feel creepy disgust and literally itchiness. That's great.

Just starting up Lilith's route in Tokyo Babel - decided to read from the very beginning this time since it's the last route. I forgot a interesting fact she admits early on in the common route - she's a illusion/copy - as part of her raison d'être. Wonder if it's modular copy/pastes (fire and forget, so to speak), or linked connections from her "real" self.

I guess further reading will clear that up, perhaps. :sachi:

Is the first medium that has ever made me want to look up biblical information - I ended up doing some research on "Lilith" shortly after buying Tokyo Babel, just to get a grasp on her roots. :)

Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no Aji : finished Shizuku's route. It was correct (mostly because our heroine is a good representative of the classic tsundere tribe). But not as good or promising as the common route (which was suprisingly funny, in my humble opinion). Most of the h-scenes were fairly hot (a bit too long, maybe). My rate would be 6,5 or 7/10.

I hope Honoka's route is better. She's so cute :sacchan:

19 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

In her route (SPOILERS)

Ahh, yeah good point. I haven't read it in awhile so I forget some of the details. To be honest I still don't really like it, regardless if they're asking for it or if they're doing it for fun.

If I saw it in real life I'd definitely think it's bullying though.

And that's why Grisaia just angers me. They make good, possibly blood pumping situations...non existent. Instead we are getting a lot of fillers.

You're looking at the wrong route for blood pumping situations... except maybe

Spoiler

Not really a spoiler though... near the end of the story.

But I must add I started to really like this segment. No VN ever made me feel creepy disgust and literally itchiness. That's great.

You kind of developing a new fetish there mate...

2227.jpg

Finished my first route in Aoishiro now. Although it was a bit slow I enjoyed it quite a bit. It had an overall mysterious atmosphere that always made you wonder what secrets might be hidden in the darkness. I also used the walkthrough only to correct choices that lead to bad ends and I ran in several of them that lead to either my or another chracters death. It was pretty funny though, since I really had to think about my choices and there was always the thrill of dying. And while I wasn't able to predict all outcomes in advance, correcting my last choice usually lead to a logical conclusion why the bad end was avoided. The only major exception was the route locking. I had to start with Yasumi but ran several times in a bad end because I was going for another character at first.

I was actually surprised about the high production values. Although the art looks a bit dated it had lots of CG's, all characters drawn, animation effects and more. The story was a bit confusing though. Lots of info about Japanese legendary creatures and gods. I guess finishing the other routes will reveal more information and shed light to unanswered questions. Romance was also more on the light side so far. It could have also been just a close friendship.

I'll continue with Migiwa now. Wasn't so sure about her at first, but she made some pretty cool stuff since then and I got quite fond of her meanwhile.

I guess reading 4 VN's at the same time is starting to take its toll, because my overall progress seems to be rather slow currently. :amane:

On 07/04/2016 at 0:10 PM, Canicheslayer said:

Shinigami no Kiss wa Wakare no Aji : finished Shizuku's route. It was correct (mostly because our heroine is a good representative of the classic tsundere tribe). But not as good or promising as the common route (which was suprisingly funny, in my humble opinion). Most of the h-scenes were fairly hot (a bit too long, maybe). My rate would be 6,5 or 7/10.

I hope Honoka's route is better. She's so cute :sacchan:

Finished all the routes :mare: And Just as I feared, Honoka's was meh. Luckily, I really liked the true route. It was beautiful...NO, NO i'm not a lolicon. I swear it :conspiracy:

Spoiler

1460195295-shinigaminokiss005.jpg

1460195295-shinigaminokiss008.jpg

Rhaa...Maybe just a little...? :komari:

Spoiler

1460195295-shinigaminokiss007.jpg

:marie:

4 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

might start symphonic rain

I have a feeling you'd like Fal's route. You should play it just so I have someone to back me up on that one. Not sure how you'll feel about the rest of it, but the two unlockable routes make for a pretty great nakige IMO.

I'm trying to get through as much Fruit of Grisaia as I can in my currently limited time, but I'll be launching headlong into To Heart 2 late next week, whether I'm done with Grisaia or not. Still on Sachi's route in Grisaia - I'm really, really enjoying it. I think I landed in a good first one (in the sense that it's a good fit for me, personally). One brief thought on H-scenes:

Spoiler

So I just got through the first one with Sachi, and WTF, sound effects? Too lewd. I'll be the first to admit that even though I'm not "using" H-scenes, I'm not exactly reading them with clinical detachment, but those sound effects were just too much. I had to turn SFX off entirely in the settings menu before I could continue. I'll probably have to start switching them off and on around the H-scenes... which makes me want a settings toggle specifically for SFX during H-scenes, or something (or, really, for them to just not be there; does anybody really want to hear that? Voice acting, sure, I'm all for it. Sound effects? Lewd.).

4 hours ago, Funyarinpa said:

might start symphonic rain

just be prepared it can be a snorefest at times. Even Fal's route, which only gets 'interesting' during the last 30 minutes

~~

Conflicted b/w continuing Babel, starting Haruka with Zenophil-chan, or blitzing Neko vol 2. Haven't really been in the mood for moes since KnS, but I'm also craving some H since I haven't read anything with them this year

Screw it, we're going with blitz Nekos Panda 2 -> continue Tohks Bible