What are you playing?

17 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Plus, are we seriously paying attention to voices that much outside of h-scenes? 

I think the voice acting gets worse during the hentai scenes. Especially with vanilla eroge using famous seiyuu who don't want to dirty talk. I can't fap to this. It's so obvious that seiyuu and writer don't care at all that the h-scenes aren't ero at all.

15 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

But wouldn't the character voices talking over the protagonists lines distract you guys from reading them out loud? :huh:

If youre a fast reader, hardly distracting at all because you pay more attention to the text. I consider voices almost like background music. It's nice to have them but hardly something that I need to enjoy a VN.

Im a visual person. I prefer reading and focusing on the story and watching characters' facial expressions and body language vs listening to them. There are different types of VN readers and I consider myself the speedy and efficient type, thus I get to read more VNs than most people.

55 minutes ago, Decay said:

The real high-level shit is to click through when you're done reading the line but to also toggle on the option to keep voices playing on click, so you still get the feel for the voices while speed reading. 

Isn't that... common? :o I'm doing that right from the beginning, best way to experience VN. :P But, no every time, like in...:

40 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

Plus, are we seriously paying attention to voices that much outside of h-scenes? 

Sometimes very much. I wait for voices to end their lines in 'big emotional scenes', or any kind of 'big endings', to savour them more, longer. :P
(also I sometimes mute the h-scenes, even if I read them, or just simply read them in backlog, cause I hate those creepy high pitched, overloud moans :P)

25 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

But wouldn't the character voices talking over the protagonists lines distract you guys from reading them out loud? :huh:

Not if you're 'fast reader' and just assimiliate the contents, withoud reading every word out loud in your head.
But I don't know Japanesse (well, I'm 'catching' the most common words right now), so I just get the 'feeling' of voice, without it's content.

7 minutes ago, CeruleanGamer said:

If youre a fast reader, hardly distracting at all because you pay more attention to the text. I consider voices almost like background music. It's nice to have them but hardly something that I need to enjoy a VN.

Im a visual person. I prefer reading and focusing on the story and watching characters' facial expressions and body language vs listening to them. There are different types of VN readers and I consider myself the speedy and efficient type, thus I get to read more VNs than most people.

I have garbage eyes, so I tend to favor my other senses =/ but I get where your coming from. :sachi:

Just now, TexasDice said:

>tfw nobody picks up on your brilliant comedy setup...

If you'll excuse me, I still have a route to choose and need to take a bath. With my toaster. 

:dawning realization: ooohhhh.....

yCF6TY7.jpg

:heart:

how's your progress going?

1 hour ago, onorub said:

No lie, Meiya's ending from Muv Luv Extra is one of the most unintentionally funniest things i've read in a while.

Spoiler

I think that was the idea, something very action movie like, just a lot of fun and nothing more but It will make sense on unlimited, specially on alternative. Just remember and enjoy this "boring" and common days of muv luv extra. 

6 minutes ago, TexasDice said:

About an hour further than I was before. Skype is distracting me! :wafuu:

- - -

Reveal hidden contents

Wow, my prediction was totally on the money. Who said it was a waste of time to self-study writing and analysis?

I AM A GOD!

A TROPE GOD! :wahaha:

*Hands you a cookie* It was kinda obvious, but a win is a win :makina:

I just reached the mansion after the conflict - it's interesting to re-read it, I'm catching stuff I didn't notice last time~

On 2/8/2016 at 4:33 AM, Suzu Fanatic said:

*Hands you a cookie* It was kinda obvious, but a win is a win :makina:

Hey, actually knew it the moment I saw sprite for the first time. Gimme sum credits! 

I am on Touko's route now and have to ask, are all the routes like this? Because this feels a little like filler to me... :illya: 

Anyway, time for more Ayakashibito

bold_predictions_logo-gif.100377

Spoiler

There is an animal god/demon or something around those lines held prisoner /sealed away in that shrine and that's why animals hate Touko.

5 hours ago, TexasDice said:

I am on Touko's route now and have to ask, are all the routes like this? Because this feels a little like filler to me... :illya: 

Each to an extent (depends on the heroine, at the very least - one doesn't provide much "fluff"), mainly for the purpose of providing a chance for the MC to bond with the cast in one way or another, and give some down-time from the action. Though you wont ever have to worry about it ever dragging out too long, if that's a concern.

As for Touko's route specifically - it's a pretty long and involved arc (as long as some full VNs, lol), depends what you are considering filler. Where abouts are you in it? The rough formula for the routes is "Fluff", "mid problem", "fluff", "huge problem" though that tends to be a thing with most VNs. :sachi:

Makes sense and I'm not saying it's bad. The parts that are supposed to be comedic are actually hilarious and the other stuff is good too (although a little hasty at times.) It's just the typical video game problem of "The world is in danger, but sure, let's focus on those 10 mushrooms you need.".

My brain always goes "shouldn't we focus on something more important right now?" in some corner of my mind, but that's suspension of disbelief. And Ayakashibito is really far away from immersion breaking nonetheless, because I actually care about the characters (besides those embarrassing retards) and want to know what they do next.

In terms of progress, I turned it off for today right after the Stalker issue was taken care of. (Side effect of Touko's route; I really want to read Tonya next...) 

@TexasDice

Fair enough! Touko is second to Suzu in terms of "best girl" for me, so I approve the route order so far. :) (helps that I also like her brother - in a bro fashion, I swear :pyaa: ) Same voice actor that played Kyousuke in Little Busters - and in a few other VNs/Animes.

Tonya is a good next choice - I want to discuss some points, but will refrain for now - as to avoid spoiling anything, heh.

Whoa nobody been playin' VNs since Tuesday huh :makina:

~~
Clocked in a couple of hours in Zero Escape VLR, I'm at like Magenta -> Ally -> Ally cuz we all know Luna's a good girl and I'll hate to replay to choose Betray next time ._.

But anyway,

Spoiler

WTF IS GOING ON1@#!@#!@

WTF IS THAT LIL' SHIT QUARK UP TO

WHO THE FK IS K

WHAT'S UP WITH GRAMPS

FK DIO

OMG ALICE DIED, I THOUGHT SHE WAS INVINCIBLE ALL-ICE

D'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW LUNA DIEDDD NOOO BEST GRIL ;-;  ..........5 BUCKS IT WAS CLOVER

WHAT??? CLOVER AND GRAMPS ARE DEAD NOW, THAT LEAVES K AND DIO AS THE POTENTIAL PERPS, though I'm sure this whole shitfest was just one giant chain reaction after another.

Speaking of Clover, her death hurts so much, it's like she fking survived the events of 999 just to die here ._.

~~
Though, Mr. Gaulem did mention that a functioning Gaulem would be completely indiscernible from a real human being.......... so who knows if the people that are dying are actually dying :ph34r:

11 minutes ago, Eclipsed said:

~~
Clocked in a couple of hours in Zero Escape VLR, I'm at like Magenta -> Ally -> Ally cuz we all know Luna's a good girl and I'll hate to replay to choose Betray next time ._.

But anyway,

Reveal hidden contents

WTF IS GOING ON1@#!@#!@

WHO THE FK IS K

WHAT'S UP WITH GRAMPS

FK DIO

D'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWW LUNA DIEDDD NOOO BEST GRIL ;-;  ..........5 BUCKS IT WAS CLOVER

WHAT??? CLOVER AND GRAMPS ARE DEAD NOW, THAT LEAVES K AND DIO AS THE POTENTIAL PERPS, though I'm sure this whole shitfest was just one giant chain reaction after another.

Speaking of Clover, her death hurts so much, it's like she fking survived the events of 999 just to die here ._.

~~
Though, Mr. Gaulem did mention that a functioning Gaulem would be completely indiscernible from a real human being.......... so who knows if the people that are dying are actually dying :ph34r:

Go on young Padawan

@TexasDice

That miko nukige is great, thanks bro 

Just finished the main scenario of Kindred Spirits on the Roof. There's still some bonus scenes left to read, but that's for tomorrow.

I had this feeling from the beginning that Kindred Spirits would turn out be a really respectable romance VN, and I'm glad it didn't disappoint me. Sure, it's not the greatest there is and it's little clumsy from time to time, but it's also the best pure romance story (stories?) I've read in a visual novel. It's very honest and natural how it present the romance and does many things better since it doesn't follow the standard eroge formula. No routes mean better focus and very refreshingly there's no shoehorned H-scenes. And the few scenes that are in there are where tastefully done. 

I encourage everyone to at least look into Kindred Spirits. I can guarantee that it makes you feel way better than making heated arguments about Sekai Project's business decisions.  

~
I've also made some really good progress on Shiei no Sona-Nyl, I but got stuck on a H-scene at final chapter just before Kindred Spirits was released. But more about that later when I've read it to completion.

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

~~

But anyway,

Reveal hidden contents

WTF IS GOING ON1@#!@#!@

WHO THE FK IS K

WHAT'S UP WITH GRAMPS

FK DIO

~~

I have a freaking 3-day weekend and it's NOW, on saturday night, that I have time to open a VN :pyaa:I didn't sign up for a social life.

~~

I honestly don't remember shit about what you're currently reading in VLR :michiru: I need ro read it again one day, 'cause I only remember the main plot. Glad it's breaking your mind, though :wahaha:

I played a lot of G-Senjou over the last couple of days, and am hoping to wrap it up tomorrow. Spoilered thoughts on Chapter 3, Kanon's Chapter, and Chapter 4 (my choices led me to Chapter 5, rather than the detour to Mizuha's Chapter, so I'm going back for that next before resuming my Chapter 5 save):

Spoiler

Chapter 3 got me to really like Kanon, who I'd previously thought was pretty boring, so I'd call that a success. It turns out adding in ambition, confidence, and competency just made her way more appealing to me. So my thanks to the writer for a job well done there. The good end path for Kanon's route was pretty touching - I got shivers, and I got more than a little bit teary reading the description of her performance. It probably helps that as a kid I used to really get into the figure skating stuff in the winter Olympics, so although I haven't watched it in quite a while, the scenario was fairly relatable. In particular, I was supremely excited when Kanon nailed a quad - which probably to most people is not a "wow" moment, but really was for me. At any rate, Chapter 3 and Kanon's chapter, good stuff.

On the other hand, Chapter 4 (or at least the true route version of it) didn't do much to make Shiratori more interesting to me; as far as good girls go, I'd take Tsubaki over Shiratori any day. But perhaps it'll be better when I take the correct choices and see her route, but my hopes aren't high. And as far as the plot, Chapter 4 felt very scattered and odd to me. Perhaps it was the way the whole thing took place, kind of out of nowhere, in a single long night. The ending, especially, really felt like it came out of left field. But I'm still very curious to see how things go forward from here towards the true ending, though.

Some overall thoughts, since I'm pretty close to being done now. In general, G-Senjou is growing on me pretty quickly. I didn't understand the route structure at first, but it's the only one I've seen structured like this (which doesn't mean much, since my experience is limited, but nonetheless), and it's definitely my favorite approach to structuring. I dislike skipping through (or worse yet, repeatedly re-reading) a long Common Route, so I'm really enjoying the way the branching only makes me replay some parts of a single chapter to be able to move on. The plot and characters are also excellent - clearly they're what this VN is loved for, and that appreciation is clearly well-deserved. On other fronts, well...

- The art is kind of hit and miss... I like the style, coloring, etc., but sprites' head and neck placement often look like they were done by Key's Itaru Hinoue on a bad day. Yuki's sprite, especially, looks absolutely bizarre (and to be completely honest, I didn't notice this on anybody else until I kept having to stare at her bizarre head placement in Chapter 3, and then I couldn't unsee it on most/all of the other sprites as well). CGs are a fair bit better, though.

- I'm not a huge fan of the music, though it has its moments, especially Gonzou's music and the flamenco-ish track that first appears in Chapter 3 which usually plays when Haru is doing her best. But for the most part, it's a little bland.

- And I have to admit... the H scenes are pretty bad. I actually wish they weren't here - they're almost as awkward as the H-scenes in older Key games. I've no objection to "good" H scenes (and I do believe such things exist), but at this point, if I were recommending the game to someone, regardless of their preferences WRT erotic content I'd definitely be recommending them the Steam version rather than the original. The H in G-Senjou is just painful.

ZE: VLR

To Be Continued...

Wait what, was I supposed to know the ID and PW to the Ninth Lion Sun thingy? ALL I GOT WAS A BUNCH OF BS FLASHBACKS OF DEATHS & MOMENTO MORIS, THAT DIDN'T MAKE NO SENSE!~#@$$^%

~~
Welp, time to check out the other paths on this route, this VN is actually alot longer than I thought it would be, may take me like a month to down this ._.

Really enjoying the mystery and puzzles, feels much more refined than the 999 predecessor. Characters however are pretty meh so far outside of my obvious biases Clover & Luna. Phi's alright, she's like Danganronpa's Kyoko, 'cept with a bit more sass.

3 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Wait what, was I supposed to know the ID and PW to the Ninth Lion Sun thingy? ALL I GOT WAS A BUNCH OF BS FLASHBACKS OF DEATHS & MOMENTO MORIS, THAT DIDN'T MAKE NO SENSE!~#@$$^%

At least don't do what I did and look the ID and PW up on the internet. >_> 

You're not doing anything wrong.

Alright! So I finished Kimihane Kanojo; absolutely loved it! I had no expectations of it and it just blew my mind. Such a beautiful little yuri VN :miyako:

I've made some changes to my backlog and so it's time to start Maggot baits! Well.. I kind of already did start it a few days ago. So far; loving it. The action scenes are epic, the art is beautiful and .. Well, there are parts that aren't so beautiful but .. hey, not hating those parts either :makina:

My first guro VN so I don't know how I'll handle those parts but... We'll see.

On the translated side I'm still playing ikikoi. Not going to say much about it because I'll get murdered :makina:

Short version: I'm one of those people who actually don't hate it :pyaa:

Yoo, I've done it! I've finally read my first VN in Japanese from start to finish, Liar-soft's Shiei no Sona-Nyl. 

It only took like 5 months, although that's mostly because I stalled it in order to read other stuff and to study more Japanese. And now I got into reading mood little over week ago and read over half of the novel in one week. I've now finally managed to get to state where reading in Japanese doesn't feel that much exhausting than any other reading. It's still way slower than reading in English, but compared to when I started with Sona-Nyl it's already starting to feel somewhat natural. 

Sona-Nyl wasn't even that difficult to read after all. The Engine science terms and fight scenes were kind of annoying from time to time, mostly because they had all kinds of weird words and expressions. Other than that there's nothing headache inducing or hard to understand stuff, even the signature repetition makes the reading in some ways easier on then long run. Because there's lots of thematic expressions and wordings that appear often and depending on chapters, reading starts to flow really well after you grasp them. Not mention it's amazing Kanji and synonym practice. 

And overall... It's Sakurai's Steampunk-game, of course I loved it. The story is on par with all the other Steampunk-games and so are the characters. The road trip through ruins of New York was really interesting, and in a way the road trip feel fits the familiar episodic style the best. You meet new people, interact with them and then leave them behind when stopping at different places while travelling, so the changing cast feels very natural. Sona-Nyl has also a very strong dual perspective on things on top of the usual perspective changes, which is a pretty refreshing element. It also helps that the style of narration changes as well, since the two protagonist see and feel about the world differently. 

Whaaaat, more Dead Ends? Jeebus, can I get an ending yet ._.

Here's my progress so far:
WUNBd9N.jpg (960×544)

I don't get K, the dude will gut-punch Sigma & Phi so he can drag their asses through the White Chromatic door so they don't get left behind and die, yet as soon as he gets 9 BP it's bb lates to everybody? Fk his morals!

His little background story infodump was decently interesting I guess. I guess he'll pull a Seven later and infodump more about this mysterious facility once he gets his memory back.

~~
Feel super bad about betraying Luna this time around, but hey, that means she hates Sigma now and so we're auto-defaulted to pair up with Clover! Huzzah! The cute beep noises are back!

Btw, that's a big Panty room huh :sachi: 
psppZO1.jpg (960×544)
:heart:

3 hours ago, Eclipsed said:

Whaaaat, more Dead Ends? Jeebus, can I get an ending yet ._.

An ending you can get straight away from the beginning is Dio's, but it has a ton of info you're meant to understand later in the story. I won't tell you how to get it, obv, but it was the first one I got when I played and I hope you don't stumble upon it any time soon.

----------------

On another note, I finally finished Chapter 5 of Umineko!

Spoiler

I already knew Battler would become a sorcerer, but holy shit I didn't expect him to figure out the truth and become the Game Master :pyaa: Though judging by the start of Chapter 6 he still managed to screw up :wahaha:

Meanwhile, I still have no idea of what that truth is, but I've had for a while the theory that Beato's "identity" is Maria, but I have little evidence.

I might be able to finish the whole VN by the start of summer vacation.

My god, I forgot how damn ugly those models look... :pyaa: Though the fun flowchart makes up for it.

I've been kind of slacking on VNs recently, not aving enough mtivation to continue RuiTomo FD (not interested in Megumu's route at all), but at the same time not wanting to start anything new. I will have to either put this on hold or just get over myself, but it seems like fandiscs aren't really my thing - although Hino's slice of life is entertaining for sure.

Maybe it's time I continued the infinite VN Sui, too.