What are you playing?

gonna start reading Komorebi no Namikimichi because the plot seems good and haruse Miki does the voice acting of one of the heroines ふふふふ

EDIT:so far is actually pretty good but the protagonist voice acting is terrible...my god he has this weird speech pattern... he speaks like a little kid D: 

Alright, close to finishing Majikoi. Only have Chris' route left and a few of the smaller sub routes. Going to go back and get the bad ends etc after.

Finished Miyako's route and I have mixed feelings about it to be honest...

Spoiler

Everything up to the point where you accept her confession and a little after is good. Her backstory is touching and its all just good overall.

But then the middle part just slows down and it's boring. She get's a little bullied at school but not really? ... Ok... She got through years of torment so this shouldn't be too hard. The kazama family is fighting? .. Ok ... Then it's over ? ... Alright.

That part just felt boring and unessecary to me.

But then the ending and the later parts picked up the pace again and made the route worthwhile. It was by no means bad, but they should have put a little more effort into some of the "needless and boring" drama. The ending was very nice and satisfying.

And those H-Scenes though ... holy crap. :makina:

^Ahaha, yes, that good ending from Swan Song... :sachi:

~~
Finally making some progress in 999.

Initial thoughts

• Goddammit I've been playing too many modern-ish VNs, I miss high quality art and voiced lines and fk life //got over it within 30 minutes, dw
  • Though, the little 8-bit beeping audio or w/e used for character voices is cute, especially with how the tone is deep for dudes and light pitched for females, and even then there's varying tones per character.
  • I praised Danganronpa for having an easy to remember cast naming scheme, this game outdoes it with Lion, Mountain, Prince, Dancer, Silver, etc and my personal favorite, Pink Hair :Teeku: (but then they all get retconned for dem number names, RIP Pink Pair -> Clover)
  • Ohhhh, Zero Escape. Of course there will be point-and-click escape room game mechanics, DURRR //never thought about it, sue me

Pretty enjoyable so far, I went with Door 4 instead of 5, no idea if that was a legit branching path or not since game only gives one fking save file. Also, June needs to be less obvious 'bout wanting the D, and Jumpy himself needs to be more keen to the fact.

//Extremely random hypothosis (DANGANRONPA SPOILERS)

Spoiler

Okay so, the first person to die in Danganronpa, aka Junko-sama, ended up being the mastermind.

So, what are the odds of Mr. idiot 9 being the mastermind Zero in this game? :makina:

Probably not. It better not

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

^Ahaha, yes, that good ending from Swan Song... :sachi:

~~
Finally making some progress in 999.

Initial thoughts

• Goddammit I've been playing too many modern-ish VNs, I miss high quality art and voiced lines and fk life //got over it within 30 minutes, dw
  • Though, the little 8-bit beeping audio or w/e used for character voices is cute, especially with how the tone is deep for dudes and light pitched for females, and even then there's varying tones per character.
  • I praised Danganronpa for having an easy to remember cast naming scheme, this game outdoes it with Lion, Mountain, Prince, Dancer, Silver, etc and my personal favorite, Pink Hair :Teeku: (but then they all get retconned for dem number names, RIP Pink Pair -> Clover)
  • Ohhhh, Zero Escape. Of course there will be point-and-click escape room game mechanics, DURRR //never thought about it, sue me

Pretty enjoyable so far, I went with Door 4 instead of 5, no idea if that was a legit branching path or not since game only gives one fking save file. Also, June needs to be less obvious 'bout wanting the D, and Jumpy himself needs to be more keen to the fact.

//Extremely random hypothosis (DANGANRONPA SPOILERS)

Hide contents

Okay so, the first person to die in Danganronpa, aka Junko-sama, ended up being the mastermind.

So, what are the odds of Mr. idiot 9 being the mastermind Zero in this game? :makina:

Probably not. It better not

Regarding 999

You finally got to play it eh, you magnificent bastard? Good, good. 

Doors are the primary branching points in 999, except for one ending, the endings you get are completely dependent on door picks. 

About the DR hypothesis: lol

Fun fact about 999: even though choosing diferent doors will lead to different puzzles and endings, there is one particular door that is never required to obtain all endings. In fact, to this day I still don't know what kind of puzzle is behind that door, lol.

The door in question is:

Spoiler

Door number 3, the lefmost door of the second branching decision.

I finally finished Grisaia no Kajitsu today. It's kinda disappointing having finished it to be honest, as I now have to find myself a new visual novel to get reading; that being said, for £26 (as I believe it was at the time) I'd call it bloody good value for money.

Some of my thoughts on routes and shiznit:

Spoiler

My favourite part about Grisaia on the whole was Yuuji, if I'm honest. I grant I haven't played as many visual novels than most others here, and so this opinion may be taken lightly, but he's far and away the most interesting '1st person protagonist' I've come across. It's nice to have one that's not utterly vapid, and can display a modicum of social intelligence, however forced it may be.

I'm unsure whether or not it was because hers was the first route I played through (this does seem to be a common theme) but Sachi's route remained my favourite... just about. Her cutscene was kinda frustrating, but necessarily so - it certainly helped make her a much more complex character than it otherwise could have been. However, it was over 4 months ago that I finished her route, so it may be worth playing through it again to familiarise myself with it once more :sachi:

My next route I played through was Yumiko, and I really wanted to like her story more. It wasn't bad by any means, but it just didn't grab me in the way Sachi's, and eventually the other routes as well, did. Seemed a bit too action based and not enough psychological shiznit for my liking.

Michiru I don't actually remember a huge amount about to be honest. I seem to recall it was a better story than I was led to believe, and that the basic premise of it was just weird, but I remember very few details. There was a cat? Fucking cat.

Amane takes the runner-up spot for me, and her 'cutaway arc' was actually my favourite of the entire VN. While the seemingly never-ending mire of H-scenes nearly made me give up on it, I'm so glad that I stuck with it. While I'm maybe slightly disappointed with the ending (never did find out what Kazuki left...) I suppose in another way perhaps it's more mysterious this way? The bit with the 'ghouls' still makes me shudder.

Finally, Makina. I found her story incredibly engrossing, although I must admit the whole 'will you be my papa? Let's bang dude' thing was slightly jarring to begin with. Still, I think the 'on the run' factor was much better done here than it was on Yumiko's route, and it had an altogether satisfying ending (though they never did go back to Mihama, lying shits).

I've also taken a shine to the darker, more morose tracks on it. Soles of My Shoes, Scab (a particular favourite, partially because of the Amane cutscene) and Deadlock work perfectly with the story when they're used. Is there an obtainable soundtrack to this?

Not sure what I'm going to play through next. I'm thinking another reasonably sized one, maybe Umineko no Naku Koro ni, or Kara no Shoujo. Do you read Cartagra before or after Kara no Shoujo? Or are they just linked by characters?

17 minutes ago, Keaton said:

What are you playing it on? Just use save states.

On 1/22/2016 at 8:42 PM, Eclipsed said:

Aight it's here boys n' gals, get rdy for some more funzies n' misc. ramblings soonTSM
WFAeiX3.jpg (572×479)

~~

Not sure what I'm going to play through next. I'm thinking another reasonably sized one, maybe Umineko no Naku Koro ni, or Kara no Shoujo. Do you read Cartagra before or after Kara no Shoujo? Or are they just linked by characters?

Read Cartagra before Kara no Shoujo! Some of its characters will have supporting roles in Kara no Shoujo.

I wanted to do a blind playthrough but apparently to get the most experience out of 999 it's better to do the 3 bad ends -> normal end -> true end so I'm gonna do that, so I'm currently 4 -> 8 -> about to Saturn key Elevator

Btw, that's gotta be the most long winded miscommunication banter about "getting wet" I've ever seen :makina:. Hah... this double J duo..

6 hours ago, AaronIsCrunchy said:

-snip-

Kajitsu spoilers

Spoiler

If you want to find out what Kazuki left, go back to Amane's route, go the the choice where you decide to stay together or split up when Psycho Dad is hunting Yuuji and Amane, and split up.  You'll get a bad end, but it's the only way to find out what she left, and it was a pretty good bad end, IMO.

Finished Nemu's route in euphoria and...that was an interesting ending. Does have me curious about what the true route's going to reveal. My only problem with the route though is how slow it got, it just seemed like they were building up Keisuke being pushed to the breaking point a little too much. It just felt like padding in between the plot revelations.

On a side note, it may be just me but that H scene with the itching lotion is quite possibly the funniest ero scene I've read in a long time.

9 hours ago, AaronIsCrunchy said:

I finally finished Grisaia no Kajitsu today. It's kinda disappointing having finished it to be honest, as I now have to find myself a new visual novel to get reading; that being said, for £26 (as I believe it was at the time) I'd call it bloody good value for money.

Some of my thoughts on routes and shiznit:

Reveal hidden contents

My favourite part about Grisaia on the whole was Yuuji, if I'm honest. I grant I haven't played as many visual novels than most others here, and so this opinion may be taken lightly, but he's far and away the most interesting '1st person protagonist' I've come across. It's nice to have one that's not utterly vapid, and can display a modicum of social intelligence, however forced it may be.

I'm unsure whether or not it was because hers was the first route I played through (this does seem to be a common theme) but Sachi's route remained my favourite... just about. Her cutscene was kinda frustrating, but necessarily so - it certainly helped make her a much more complex character than it otherwise could have been. However, it was over 4 months ago that I finished her route, so it may be worth playing through it again to familiarise myself with it once more :sachi:

My next route I played through was Yumiko, and I really wanted to like her story more. It wasn't bad by any means, but it just didn't grab me in the way Sachi's, and eventually the other routes as well, did. Seemed a bit too action based and not enough psychological shiznit for my liking.

Michiru I don't actually remember a huge amount about to be honest. I seem to recall it was a better story than I was led to believe, and that the basic premise of it was just weird, but I remember very few details. There was a cat? Fucking cat.

Amane takes the runner-up spot for me, and her 'cutaway arc' was actually my favourite of the entire VN. While the seemingly never-ending mire of H-scenes nearly made me give up on it, I'm so glad that I stuck with it. While I'm maybe slightly disappointed with the ending (never did find out what Kazuki left...) I suppose in another way perhaps it's more mysterious this way? The bit with the 'ghouls' still makes me shudder.

Finally, Makina. I found her story incredibly engrossing, although I must admit the whole 'will you be my papa? Let's bang dude' thing was slightly jarring to begin with. Still, I think the 'on the run' factor was much better done here than it was on Yumiko's route, and it had an altogether satisfying ending (though they never did go back to Mihama, lying shits).

I've also taken a shine to the darker, more morose tracks on it. Soles of My Shoes, Scab (a particular favourite, partially because of the Amane cutscene) and Deadlock work perfectly with the story when they're used. Is there an obtainable soundtrack to this?

Cant seem to be able to open your VNDB so I don't know if you've read it, but if you want a VN with a MC that kind of reminds you a little of Yuuji and at the same time has a very good plot I recommend Eden*. It's really good, though a lot shorter than Grisaia.

Replaying Grisaia after a long time. I really missed it :D

Note: Lol I hadn't noticed that people were talking about Grisaia in the previous posts

my favourite route was definitely Yumiko's, while the least favourite were Michiru and Makina's I'm not sure which one I dislike most (though the dislike is just in comparison with other routes, I actually liked all of them).

That pregnant Makina was just disgusting though

35 minutes ago, Dergonu said:

Cant seem to be able to open your VNDB so I don't know if you've read it, but if you want a VN with a MC that kind of reminds you a little of Yuuji and at the same time has a very good plot I recommend Eden*. It's really good, though a lot shorter than Grisaia.

I have Eden* in my library but I didn't finish it as I recall... Might do that before I start anything else. Good shout!

3 hours ago, Zenophilious said:

Being hella useful

Thanks! I was intending to do that, but I was pretty tired when I finished the good end so I went to sleep and kinda... forgot.

Wanted to play Ar Tonelico 1 but the writing (or translation) is so awful I can't bring myself to feel a bit concerned and immerged, a shame because I think it has a lot of potential after having spent a few hours in it. I think I'll tale a look at Ar nosurge, I hope a Ciel nosurge summary will be enough to appreciate the story.

1 hour ago, Nerathim said:

Wanted to play Ar Tonelico 1 but the writing (or translation) is so awful I can't bring myself to feel a bit concerned and immerged, a shame because I think it has a lot of potential after having spent a few hours in it. I think I'll tale a look at Ar nosurge, I hope a Ciel nosurge summary will be enough to appreciate the story.

At least watch some important scenes on Youtube to familiarize yourself with the characters and the setting even more. I can't stress enough how essential Ciel nosurge is for everything that happens in Ar nosurge.

I'm not sure why you think you will have more fun with Ar nosurge though. Translation-wise Ar tonelico 1 is by far the best and Ar nosurge the worst, haha.

1 hour ago, Tyrosyn said:

At least watch some important scenes on Youtube to familiarize yourself with the characters and the setting even more. I can't stress enough how essential Ciel nosurge is for everything that happens in Ar nosurge.

I'm not sure why you think you will have more fun with Ar nosurge though. Translation-wise Ar tonelico 1 is by far the best and Ar nosurge the worst, haha.

Huh, I don't think so, I took a look at many screenshots and the grammar never stroke me even once as awful as Ar Tonelico 1's where every single dialogue feel soooo unnatural it is awkward. And in the case I'm wrong, well, I'd better avoid Ar nosurge then.

Having lot's of time on my hands I'm currently playing two VN's(or you could say stalling)

Noble Works - It was pretty fun at beginning(had similar feel to princess evangile) but it started to fail when entering routes maybe it was because I was expecting high dose of comedy and drama like in PE.

Hanachirasu - Had similar vibe compared to Kikokugai but I'm not sure action scenes currently don't feel so intense compared to Kikokugai also it feels like it's production values were a bit low.

1 hour ago, Nerathim said:

Huh, I don't think so, I took a look at many screenshots and the grammar never stroke me even once as awful as Ar Tonelico 1's where every single dialogue feel soooo unnatural it is awkward. And in the case I'm wrong, well, I'd better avoid Ar nosurge then.

No no, Ar nosurge has way better translation than Ar Tonelico. The English in Ar Tonelico 1 is pretty clunky and simple in comparison. Don't know exactly how faithful Ar nosurge is to the Japanese script, but at least it reads well English. And what I've seen and remember comparing text to Japanese voice acting, it's pretty good.