What are you playing?

Had to take a break from Corpse Party. Only about midway through Chapter 3.

You know those ppl who absolutely refuse to read through bad endings in VNs cuz they are non-completionist losers?

Well, unless you got a thing for reading about the terrible, terrible ways people can die I'd say don't go for the Wrong Ends in Corpse Party 

I'll still read through them for completionist sake, but man, after me spending the whole chapter hyping up Satoshi as this big brave bro, 'tis all for naught cuz big ol' bro can't

find a resty roomy for kawaii imouto Yuka and so he lets her go outside

by herself  to hop over the fence and pee in the woods. Which consequently lets her get kidnapped by a girly ghost with the snippy snappy scissors chanting 'give it back' snippy snappy STAB RIGHT IN THE FKING EYE

and even if Yuka escapes from girly ghosty, as soon as she goes back into the room, big ol' bro's magically gone and so she's left sobbing for a minute b4 the game hands over control to you.

/rant

yes, I have a sister complex :sachi:

And I, of all people, made it through Corpse Party because...?

I dunno. Hope triumphs in the end or something?

Had to take a break from Corpse Party. Only about midway through Chapter 3.

You know those ppl who absolutely refuse to read through bad endings in VNs cuz they are non-completionist losers?

Well, unless you got a thing for reading about the terrible, terrible ways people can die I'd say don't go for the Wrong Ends in Corpse Party 

I'll still read through them for completionist sake, but man, after me spending the whole chapter hyping up Satoshi as this big brave bro, 'tis all for naught cuz big ol' bro can't

find a resty roomy for kawaii imouto Yuka and so he lets her go outside

by herself  to hop over the fence and pee in the woods. Which consequently lets her get kidnapped by a girly ghost with the snippy snappy scissors chanting 'give it back' snippy snappy STAB RIGHT IN THE FKING EYE

and even if Yuka escapes from girly ghosty, as soon as she goes back into the room, big ol' bro's magically gone and so she's left sobbing for a minute b4 the game hands over control to you.

/rant

yes, I have a sister complex :sachi:

Note to self: If I play Corpse Party mess everything up.

The boobs = eyes thing in KonoSora will 4ever be my favorite memory of that translation.

~~

Had to use a walkthrough to get some of the bad endings in Corpse Party.

Who knew that you'd have to screw up saving someone & find two cellphones so that when you get stabbed which would've normally lead to the standard Wrong End you instead survive cuz the second phone was in your breast pocket so it protects you but whoop-dee-doo your reward is to get locked into another bad end involving Ms. Teachs who pops up out of nowhere and I guess this end was considered significant enough to get an 'EXTRA' slapped onto the standard Wrong End label :makina:

GG though cuz I actually teared up for this bad end ;-;

It's something that I'll have to tip my hat to for this VN: for how descriptive it can be capturing the fear, despair, loneliness and sorrow that some of the characters can go through in their last moments as they are dying.

~~

Onto Chapter 5!

There is a localization of the PC version in the works, but Trails in the Sky SC's delays have trickled back to Corpse Party, since SC is the higher priority for XSEED.

Ah Xseed is handling it huh? I'd rather them finish up SC anyway if that's the case. Though it also means aside from emulation, PC won't see Corpse Party for at least another 3 - 4 years. (depending on their priorities)

Don't be that pessimistic. SC is finishing up soon and Corpse Party is next on that particular programmer's schedule. It's supposed to be out sometime this year, maybe early next if we're unlucky.

=/ "late 2014" turned into "late 2015" But you're correct, I should keep an open mind :) . My guess-timation is actually more based on the other titles they may focus on after SC - if they look at Zero etc, prior to Corpse Party.

Back on topic though, starting to read koisakura, so far I'm content with it's style. Looks like it has some potential.

Finished Corpse Party (except the Extra side stories; I'll get to those later I guess)

mc29Esg.jpg

Woot woot.

Probably only like 5 of the 20 standard Wrong Ends (white stars) were "memorable" in that they were accompanied by a CG along with a decent-to-horrifying description of the character(s)' final moment(s). Every other Wrong End is just standard herpa-derpa you did something wrong, now you die!@#

~~

Oh boy how do I do this..

Misc. Thoughts/Ramblings(spoilers)

Story (7/10): Pretty standard horror stuff. Group of friends perform the Sachiko ritual as a way for them to be 'together forever,' whoop-dee-doo they derp the ritual and so they get sucked into an alternate dimension Heavenly Host Elementary School where only death, death, and even more death awaits and so they must brave the horrors and break the curse in order to escape before they themselves succumb to the horrors that lurk within.

Writing (Bad Ends) (7/10) A guilty pleasure of mine while reading this VN. I'm a moe happy type of guy, so it's nice to get some sadness and despair. Sometimes. And only in small amounts. Otherwise I get depressed ;-;

Characters (7/10) (individual characters will be rated out of 5 stars in terms of how much I like them >.>)

• Satoshi (☆): the standard level headed nice guy. Guess who he likes? >.>
  • Naomi  (☆): the standard level headed nice girl. Guess who she likes? <.<
  • Yoshiki (☆): the hotheaded lone wolf guy. Reminds me of Yoshino from Rewrite, except Yoshiki is way cooler.
  • Ayumi (☆): the psycho damsel in distress girl. She's the most attractive of the females imo at least.
  • Yuka (☆): the kawaii imouto who very gets chased by creepers all game and never gets to use the restroom. 
  • Seiko (☆): the standard groper. Why do all the cool people always die first?
  • Mayu (☆): probably the cutest one out of the bunch. A real shame how very, very little screentime she has (minus being that huge stain on the wall for a majority of the game)
  • Sakutaro (Morishige) (☆): lel, who's this tool? the standard weirdo of the group. spends the entire game looking for Mayu while taking pictures of dead people so he can feel better; he stalks Yuka one time; then he goes insane after finding out that blood stain he took a picture of and was all complimenting was in fact Mayu and so he disappears/dies off screen. What a l0ser.

Others

• Sachiko (☆): standard malevolent antagonist spirit out for blood. Lots and lots of blood.
  • Shishido-sensei (☆): the devoted-to-her-students-even-in-death type. Wish she had more screen time.
  • Naho (☆): the most intriguing character in the game for me. I always like these mysterious types who seem to have alot of knowledge and their own agenda going on behind the scenes.
  • Yuuya (Kizami) (☆) why is it always the cool, silent types who have the most overdramatic insanity personality shifts?

Music (8/10) Nothing special honestly, but I really liked the use of leitmotif. Everytime you complete a chapter the music has a pretty exciting theme going on hyping you up for the next chapter. The standard level music also progressively becomes more creepy each Chapter until Chapter 5 where it just climaxes into an exciting 'are you ready for the grand finale?' track.

Art (6/10) Character sprites for dialogue are good enough, CGs acceptable. Use of pixelated 2D scroller = no traditional backgrounds for the environment = slight qq; pixelated environment really nerfed how horrifying the school actually was with all the blood and corpses everywhere.

Gameplay (2/10) Gameplay? What gameplay? All you get is a 2D four-directional scroller to explore rooms and get lost on where to go next. Puzzles are nonexistent, threats and scares are also nonexistent. 5 Save slots per Chapter, which is extremely limiting given the amount of trial-and-error you need to do to get all Ends. And boy are the Endings a damn chore to get. Good luck without a walkthrough. Ends are more determinant on stupid things like leaving a room too early, not grabbing an item, etc. rather than traditional VN choices.

Overall (7.5/10)

Onto Book of Shadows!

After a long break I finally returned to the world of VNs and finished Majikoi s which I had put on hold for quite some time now. Im ust admit that I liked it quite a lot even if there was too many H for me compared to the first VN but except that point it was an excellent read and I can't wait to see Majikoi A's translation :D.

Now that this one's over it's time for me to read either bunny black or Fate/hollow ataraxia!

I don't know why it took me this long to realize but after the shower scene b/w Naomi and Seiko in Corpse Party: Book of Shadows something clicked

and I realized that their VAs also voiced Misaka and Kuroko respectively from Index/Railgun

'dis some major conspiracy shit.

Also Ayumi is Kurisu.

Update: As for the gameplay itself, yay they made it more VN style, complete with backlogs, autoplay feature, and the fabled skip. Also they got rid of the 2D four-directional pixelated scrollbar maps in favor of point and click with proper CG backgrounds while keeping the school layout essentially the same! Awesome ^_^

I don't know why it took me this long to realize but after the shower scene b/w Naomi and Seiko in Corpse Party: Book of Shadows something clicked

and I realized that their VAs also voiced Misaka and Kuroko respectively from Index/Railgun

'dis some major conspiracy shit.

Also Ayumi is Kurisu.

Update: As for the gameplay itself, yay they made it more VN style, complete with backlogs, autoplay feature, and the fabled skip. Also they got rid of the 2D four-directional pixelated scrollbar maps in favor of point and click with proper CG backgrounds while keeping the school layout essentially the same! Awesome ^_^

just you wait for the hellish sequel with awful 3d sprites :P

Enjoying the "Restart" part in Himawari so far, actually more than I thought I would, these turn of events were a pleasant suprise. Also discovered there was a voice patch when I was already near the end of the first route. Too bad I lost my progress because of it, but it was worth it to skip all the way through it again to have some voices.

just you wait for the hellish sequel with awful 3d sprites :P

(Blood Drive announcement trailer by XSEED, some footage of 3D sprites around 0:45 mark)

LOL it looks... so cute!@# :makina:

~~

Am about halfway through Ch.2 - Demise Book of Shadows.

Ch.1 - Seed pissed me off, I was pretty hyped up because of the synopsis of Book of Shadows being "answers the 'what if they survived' question" but NOPE

fk you, everybody who died is destined to die. If they survived their 'canon' deaths, it'll just mean they'lll die seconds later in a more horrifying way. Suck it!

Which means Mayu whom I'm playing atm is eventually gonna die, though I'm glad that she at least got to meet Yoshiki and interact with him rather than dying instantaneously in the previous game.

Story wise I like how Book of Shadow chapters so far seem to be based off of one of the Wrong Ends in the first game where they have to repeat the whole ordeal again so it's 'justified' that the characters are as knowledgeable about what happens as the player.

Finished Chapter 2 - Demise

Aight game, I get it, I get it.

You know the writers are messed up when they are basically saying, "D'aww, you wanted these characters to live? Haha nope, fk you, we won't offer a possible scenario where they live!

Be glad that they died the way they did in the first game, cuz otherwise they'll meet even worse fates!" :sachi:

..Mayu ;-;

L9FsaEx.png