What are you playing?

I can't continue playing Yu-No because my computer's PSU recently bit the dust and I'm waiting on a replacement. I salvaged the hard drive and put it in another computer but I guess the game didn't like that and is complaining that it's not installed properly. I don't want to install stuff like Daemon Tools on this computer since it's not mine so I can't reinstall it either. Bleh. I decided to start Swan Song instead.

All this talk about Totono and SubaHibi is making me jealous. I really should get to studying Japanese. On-topic, I couldn't get into Symphonic Rain due to my mood, so I guess I'll continue I/O.

The SubaHibi patch is going to happen very soon. Like, within a couple of months is a likely estimate. So at least for that you won't have to wait long. Totono may actually never get translated, it's nitro+ which is off-limits to fans and JAST doesn't seem likely to touch it.

The SubaHibi patch is going to happen very soon. Like, within a couple of months is a likely estimate. So at least for that you won't have to wait long. Totono may actually never get translated, it's nitro+ which is off-limits to fans and JAST doesn't seem likely to touch it.

I know about SubaHibi, but the earlier, the better, right? You broke my heart at Totono though. Fortunately, a lot of other VNs I want are almost done being patched. Though the others have none in progress, but that's not really surprising.

I know about SubaHibi, but the earlier, the better, right? You broke my heart at Totono though. Fortunately, a lot of other VNs I want are almost done being patched. Though the others have none in progress, but that's not really surprising.

Totono doesn't have any difficult Japanese so you could read it soon after learning basics

I'd actually recommend Totono to be one of the first VNs to read for anybody who's just entered the beginning stages of learning JP. It's seriously that easy to read. Whereas SubaHibi pretty much stands at intermediate level in terms of reading difficulty, so it wouldn't be recommended unless you've exposed yourself to the grammatical principles of the language for at least a few months.

Finished Dearest Marriage, ashamed to say I actually like DC2 so I enjoyed this.

Game Spoilers 

Reminded me a bit of clannad, watching them go about their lives and you know since she ends up "dying" too. Nice end shot of them together, I guess he was successful. An appearance of that one chick from DC3 was a nice touch, I have not played DC3 but have seen that horrible anime so I recognized her. Overall it was feel good game.

Past month I've been rereading Umineko ep 1-4 through the manga, but I really missed the music so I felt like re-reading Umineko ep 5-8 as VN. So I started ep 5, first time with the umitweak patch. (Oh god.. that badass Battler voice!) Had to get used to the voices a bit but I really like it now. Even though I fell in love with the old Ryu art after 100+ reading hours (lol), the new sprites are so pretty and the voices add a lot to the experience, even though I wasn't really missing anything without them either.

On a side note:

Totono doesn't have any difficult Japanese so you could read it soon after learning basics

I'd actually recommend Totono to be one of the first VNs to read for anybody who's just entered the beginning stages of learning JP. It's seriously that easy to read. Whereas SubaHibi pretty much stands at intermediate level in terms of reading difficulty, so it wouldn't be recommended unless you've exposed yourself to the grammatical principles of the language for at least a few months.

I agree with Totono being rather easy to read but just curious here for the sake of research ;) : could you define "basics" and "beginning stages"? Does this mean; you got most (raw knowledge of) grammar and kana down by reading some guides and you're ready to expose yourself to a Japanese piece of text with the help of j-parser/texthooker for the first time ever? Does this mean; you have learned only some basic grammar and kana but also already had a lot of exposure to the Japanese language through voiced VNs, anime? Does this mean; you already know a decent amount of vocabulary and its kanji too? Could you tell me what you think is necessary to be able to read something that's "easy", for example in case of understanding and comfortably reading Totono.

Past month I've been rereading Umineko ep 1-4 through the manga, but I really missed the music so I felt like re-reading Umineko ep 5-8 as VN. So I started ep 5, first time with the umitweak patch. (Oh god.. that badass Battler voice!) Had to get used to the voices a bit but I really like it now. Even though I fell in love with the old Ryu art after 100+ reading hours (lol), the new sprites are so pretty and the voices add a lot to the experience, even though I wasn't really missing anything without them either.

On a side note:

I agree with Totono being rather easy to read but just curious here for the sake of research ;) : could you define "basics" and "beginning stages"? Does this mean; you got most (raw knowledge of) grammar and kana down by reading some guides and you're ready to expose yourself to a Japanese piece of text with the help of j-parser/texthooker for the first time ever? Does this mean; you have learned only some basic grammar and kana but also already had a lot of exposure to the Japanese language through voiced VNs, anime? Does this mean; you already know a decent amount of vocabulary and its kanji too? Could you tell me what you think is necessary to be able to read something that's "easy", for example in case of understanding and comfortably reading Totono.

I would say you need basic grammar and vocab (basic guide or course) to read it. Kanji isn't so important yet if you know how to use jparser. Totono is a good VN to start to expose yourself to Japanese text

I would actually argue that the difficulty in Totono is deceiving. Sure, it's written in a simple way, and save for some game/VN jargon the vocab is also relatively simple - but it's absolutely necessary that you can understand spoken Japanese without any help, that is to say have a good grip on not only grammar, but a large enough vocabulary as well. In other VNs, you can pretty much push your way through even without any vocab at all, as you can look up every singe word with no trouble using TA - but there are certain parts in Totono where this just isn't possible at all.

I think there are much easier VNs to start with, Totono is good when you're confident enough to watch anime, etc., raw, without any subtitles.

I intend to replay Ayakashibito. It's been around a year since I first completed it. I remember one of my first posts were in an Ayakashibito discussion. While I did start a playthrough with a friend using my TV, he kind of lost interest halfway through Touko's route in December last year.

Thinking back, I definitely seem to spend more time replaying old favorites rather than finding new material. Played around 6 or 7 new VNs last year, but replayed 12 or so. I'm just overly sentimental. Even when it comes to TV shows and such. I've read Berserk close to 10 times; watched The Shield at least 8 times, episode for episode, and I listen to the same all music all year around.

Speaking of which: I'm also replaying Cho Dengeki Stryker. Yep. Replaying. :(

Wonderful. We saved a spot for you here in The Globalized SubaHibi Reader's Cult for this particular occasion. (*‿*✿)

More importantly though, but are you going to be using a guide for the choices in the Visual Novel? There's really only one complete guide out there, so I'm not sure as to whether or not you're using that one. I think I may as well at some point make a simpler one here on Fuwa because it's very crucial experience-wise (for the best experience possible) that you go through the choices in a certain order. (and SubaHibi's due for full translation this July 20 anyways) Just in-case and for future reference, I'll give you my simplified guide in the spoiler below.

For each of the choice menus that pop up in chapters 2, 3, and 4.. It's My Own Invention, Looking-Glass Insects, and Jabberwocky I, you want to pick the top/first choice on each of them. Trust me on this, it's the best way to go about things...  :regret:

The other choices don't really matter as much, so you can just do whatever you want on those.

By the way, what's your opinion on Yuki? :3

I, uh, feel like I've stepped into a strange sect =o

I was using some random 攻略 I found as I was semi-aware I could fuck up the order if I went in blind, but I guess I'll just do as you say if the rest doesn't matter.

Yuki didn't get a whole lot of development so far to be honest, but it's nice to have a girl POV for once. From what I know there'll also be a male POV later but switching protagonists also sounds interesting so it's cool.

I would say you need basic grammar and vocab (basic guide or course) to read it. Kanji isn't so important yet if you know how to use jparser. Totono is a good VN to start to expose yourself to Japanese text

I would actually argue that the difficulty in Totono is deceiving. Sure, it's written in a simple way, and save for some game/VN jargon the vocab is also relatively simple - but it's absolutely necessary that you can understand spoken Japanese without any help, that is to say have a good grip on not only grammar, but a large enough vocabulary as well. In other VNs, you can pretty much push your way through even without any vocab at all, as you can look up every singe word with no trouble using TA - but there are certain parts in Totono where this just isn't possible at all.

I think there are much easier VNs to start with, Totono is good when you're confident enough to watch anime, etc., raw, without any subtitles.

Thanks for your opinions  ^_^ it's interesting to get an idea of what different people think of Japanese reading difficulty and I agree with both of yours. I was curious to know because I notice it's often hard to think back on when you started learning. People tend to forget that something was actually really hard on them even though it's actually so easy with a bit more knowledge. Like I said, I agree that Totono is rather easy to read.. and based on my own read-through I would also say it's a perfect VN to start with. I can say this now that I have a decent amount of reading experience and a good feeling for the grammar, know some common vocab and kanji. But a fun fact is that I actually started Totono before, when I just learned kana and basic grammar and didn't have any experience in reading Japanese text, only some example sentences in the grammar guide. It was (as I think back on it now) surprisingly hard on me back then. There were just too many things I had to remember while reading an average unvoiced sentence, too many things to keep in mind. It didn't feel natural to me yet. So based on that experience I'd say it's a great starter novel if you already have some feel for common JP language in one way or another.

I just finished the prologue of grisaia no kajitsu (with my slow perfect pace)

So yeah apparently Yumiko is the main heroine but I just call bs

Sachi's still best girl

and Michiru's worst girl ...  confirmed...she even made my Sachi cry 

Also plz Amane's bewbs are too large... too... large.. ;-; 

Sachi's still best girl

good,good.

now enjoy the tremendously long common route.  :sachi:

and i don't see why anyone would complain about amane's breast size.  :makina:

Thanks for your opinions  ^_^ it's interesting to get an idea of what different people think of Japanese reading difficulty and I agree with both of yours. I was curious to know because I notice it's often hard to think back on when you started learning. People tend to forget that something was actually really hard on them even though it's actually so easy with a bit more knowledge. Like I said, I agree that Totono is rather easy to read.. and based on my own read-through I would also say it's a perfect VN to start with. I can say this now that I have a decent amount of reading experience and a good feeling for the grammar, know some common vocab and kanji. But a fun fact is that I actually started Totono before, when I just learned kana and basic grammar and didn't have any experience in reading Japanese text, only some example sentences in the grammar guide. It was (as I think back on it now) surprisingly hard on me back then. There were just too many things I had to remember while reading an average unvoiced sentence, too many things to keep in mind. It didn't feel natural to me yet. So based on that experience I'd say it's a great starter novel if you already have some feel for common JP language in one way or another.

Well I have only just started reading untl'd VNs a while ago so I remember having some problems with Hatsuyuki Sakura but I noticed that my reading skill went up really fast after starting it. I think it's really important to start reading even if you don't fully understand it.

Sachi's still best girl

I don't see Makina anywhere and what do you mean by that Michiru is worst girl. Michiru is the best comedy source.

good,good.

now enjoy the tremendously long common route.  :sachi:

and i don't see why anyone would complain about amane's breast size.  :makina:

Don't remind me of the long common route 

To make things worse, I have exams too.

I don't see Makina anywhere and what do you mean by that Michiru is worst girl. Michiru is the best comedy source.

Michiru is the worst girl indeed, too much of an idiot for her sake , I didn't even laugh during her scenes at all till now : <

Its like I just wanna say go back idiot girl, u are embarrassing urself so hard and what she said is so offensive to tsundere... well classical tsundere at least

AND MAKINA'S BEST CUTE LOLI *fanboying intensifies*

STILL SACHI'S BEST GIRL THOU HUEHUEHUE *FANBOYING INTENSIFIES*

Kara No Shoujo's notebook is messed up damn it, just after meeting a character I checked on him for the fun of it and I learned that the said character was a murderer

definitely game breaking

And this is exactly why you check for patches before playing. ;_;

Just finished EP 4 of Umineko.

I would have finished earlier, but I have been jumping between Umineko and Baldr Sky a lot, so my progress is a little slower than it would normally be.

That... and I may have gotten my hands on Fortissimo EXS//Akkord:Nachsten Phase and popped my head into that too.

Ah well.. no regrets. I have four months off school.. best I start making use of them.

Anyway, now I am on to Chiru. ^_^