What are you playing?

So finals' season is coming to a close and I finally have enough time to post here again.

A while ago I started playing Majikoi, but then I stopped because I want to wait for the full patch.

I only played Chris's route but here are my impressions so far.

The Story:

Prologue: 

Let me start by saying this: this is the best common route I've ever played in a VN, beating even Grisaia no Kajitsu. It had the right amount of comedy, more serious moments, foreshadowing for the routes and just amazing pacing in general. It helps that every character is likable as well, but I'll get to that later.

The one thing that really sets apart this prologue from other VNs is how they introduced so many characters (at least 30 off the top of my head) and then took their time to flesh out every single one of them. Stuff like Hideo's talk with Gakuto about Wanko, Gen-san and Kyojin-sensei's relationship really added a complete feel to the world the characters live in. As for what actually happens, the inclusion of Chris and Mayucchi into the group is well done: it doesn't feel too fast or unnatural. I also really liked the little hints they kept dropping of something bigger behind the scenes, like with that Ryuhei guy who I have no idea of who he is yet.

If I have to say, the matches between Yamato and Touma were my favorite part. I really enjoy psychological battles like that.

10/10 for the prologue.

Those three endings: 

So while I did play only Chris' route, that's not the only ending I got.

1- The "homosexual" ending: nothing much to say. I do like how they consider the possibility of Yamato being gay, even if it's not taken entirely seriously.

2- The "no one" ending. Typical stuff. And now...

3- The "hermit crabs" ending. I swear I was like "WTF?!?" at my screen. I mean, what, how, who even thought to put this in the game?

Chris' route:

The relationship:

Ever since she was introduced I felt she had the best chemistry with Yamato, and the route did a good job of expanding upon that. Their falling in love was believable and the confession scene was just so cute. Special mention to the sports festival battle, which was incredibly fun to read: Yamato's tricks, getting owned by Touma, enduring Azumi's attacks. Really amazing. And Shouichi's backstory was also pretty nice.

The conflict:

Here is where I was a bit underwhelmed. I mean, her father being opposed to it is kind of a lame reason for her to give up so easily, and for it to be such a problem in general. I will give props though for Yamato doing the smart thing and keeping Momo-senpai on guard at all times. What I didn't like at all was how Yamato convinced Chris. That was literally rape and you can't convince me otherwise and the game tried to pass that as okay. It definitely lowered my overall impression of the route.

The resolution:

Done well enough, if I do say so myself. The whole final battle with each friend taking on one opponent was cheesy as all hell, but cool. I assume we'll see all those characters somewhere else eventually. One thing, though, is that I always thought the girls were incredibly strong and kind of superhuman abilities (such as Momo-senpai able to sense others' presences) but I never thought it was actually magic. So that kind of came out of nowhere for me.

Overall, 7.0/10

Given the fact it was made clear, so painfully clear, that Chris was spoiled and depended on her father for so much, I did not think it was a bad point of conflict. As for Chris getting a hot dicking, well, that was a gamble that Yamato won. It was either going to be rape or it wasn't, and it turned out not to be.

But more importantly, this game is from Japan.

So, I'll be taking a break from kanon and finally get to Grisaia/Amane. I can't stand the praising and all those spoilertags anymore, so let's see what the fuss is about.

Finally went back to finish Hoshimemo, and it's the first time I played it on my 1920x1080 monitor...it looks...kinda bad...

The feel when your monitor is too big for the picture to look decent...

Being the biggest derp that I am, I didn't realize I had to pass Fal's song to stay in her route nor did I know where autoplay was until now. So now I basically have to start over from the very beginning of the game to get to where I left off because I only made one save file. I think I was pretty close to Fal's too route >__>.

Besides the big derp, I'm really liking SR; its calm and relaxing, can't wait until I get into their routes :3

Being the biggest derp that I am, I didn't realize I had to pass Fal's song to stay in her route nor did I know where autoplay was until now. So now I basically have to start over from the very beginning of the game to get to where I left off because I only made one save file. I think I was pretty close to Fal's too route >__>.

Besides the big derp, I'm really liking SR; its calm and relaxing, can't wait until I get into their routes :3

Do you actually full screen your VNs?

They look crappy full screened on a large monitor lmao

That I do.  Probably should at least change that habit for Hoshimemo, it makes everything look pixelated and stretched.  Haven't really had a problem with it until now because I was previously running Windows 7 on Parallels on my Mac, which didn't have a 1920x1080 screen, so I was able to fullscreen everything without any problems.  It also lacked an SSD, so...yeah, not that preferable.  Now I just have to remember to switch the resolution back up afterwards.

I just full screen 800x600 VNs. Of course, my current motherboard has some driver issues that make it so I BSOD periodically when changing the screen resolution, so that's becoming a problem (I used to alt+tab out of VNs frequently and that's a problem now). There aren't many 640x480 VNs but when I encounter those, I use the windows zoom function to do a 100% zoom, since it's a 2x zoom there isn't any distortion to the art. If my motherboard wasn't fucked, I'd just full screen those as well.

I really appreciate modern VNs that run on decent engines that can scale in windowed mode or do fullscreen without changing the display resolution. Stuff like the modern versions of kirikiri (Akatsuki works and yuzusoft) and ethornell (recent pulltop and august games), and MG's custom unity-based VN engine.

Wow, that blows.  Is it bad enough that you just need a whole different mobo?

Yeah, Comyu didn't have any problems, besides having black bars on the sides to prevent stretching, presumably.  Looked quite good fullscreen.

So, I'll be taking a break from kanon and finally get to Grisaia/Amane. I can't stand the praising and all those spoilertags anymore, so let's see what the fuss is about.

I usually change my resolution down to 1280x720 and use windowed mode for non-hd stuff.

Oh my God, I love you, man.  You saved me a decent amount of time fiddling with my resolution setting before I found the right fit.

Finished Lise's route for Symphonic Rain.

Misc. Thoughts/Ramblings(spoilers)

• Lise's so CUTE!!! It was a pleasure watching her develop from her bullied super-shy self to a normal girl trying to live out her dream of being a singer.
  • Back to my little thing about character interactions, it was nice to see Fal 'help out' Lise along with her last ditch attempt to manipulate Chris (even though it was revealed during Fal's route that she hates Lise(WHY?!!!).
  • Torta also got to have a chat with Lise, but it's not revealed what they talked about. Rawr! I want to know!!!
  • Fal's last piece of advice "Don't trust anybody" to Chris was kinda weird, because Lise really wasn't hiding any secrets  :huh:. Even Asino emphasized Chris to be wary of all the negative rumors surrounding Lise, so I was expecting Lise to have some shocking personality change like Fal did, but nope, nothing xD. The main source of conflict for this route was just Lise's father, Grave.
  • Chris was the one to break up with Arietta this time. Wow. The decision came a lot smoother this time aka Chris didn't have to go through a moral dilemma and talk to Lise about Arietta like he had to do with Fal during Fal's route..
  • Grave is such a F@#$%&^!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I had a kawaii daughter like Lise I'd treat her like a princess. 
  • There weren't really any surprises this route. I was able to predict that Grave was Lise's 'father' (Fal pretty much spoiled it during her route), and I was also able to predict that Lise's injuries were from Grave. Don't really care much for the little twist about Grave being Lise's "biological father who adopted her from the orphanage and lied about being her real father to avoid emotional attachment" crap. Speaking of orphanage, Fal was also an orphan... Connections??
  • Again, Grave is a F@%$^#$. I knew he was BSing and would backstab the duo after their successful performance at the graduation recital. I cried on the spot seeing this CG, and actually went to double check the walkthrough to see if I accidentally got the bad ending because man this scene felt bad-ending worthy: OS3IB9d.jpgLISEEEEEEEEEEE  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Completed Ikusa Megami ZERO. (IMZ)

Really good game imo. My only real complaint was the H-stuff. Otherwise I had a fun all the way through the vn. I ended up liking the rpg elements surprisingly much, I only needed to grind once very early in the game. Otherwise I could play on auto against easy units. Bosses were usually tense and fun. You had to think somewhat and apply tactics to kill them.

The story was quite different from I am usually used to. I don't think I've actually ever played a game quite like this. It's more like one of these epic quest kind of games. But with actually interesting 

dialog and universe. The characters are at times too arch typical for me. But it didn't really bother me because how the story was setup and progressed.

I ended up liking many of the characters, and even if I don't like all of them I got into them. Even characters with little dialog I could easily place in the world and personality traits. I felt I understood them fast.

Also something that surprised me was the ratio of rpg gameplay and text dialog. Usually as you play you get starved for either. I never really experienced I had too much talking, or too much gameplay. There was a a few times I wish the dungeons were shorter, but I didn't really mind. I feel the vn was really nicely structured, or it just fit me very well.

Honestly I am very glad I ended up playing this vn. It's one of those vn most people should have a try with. Other than the h-stuff, It's great. I gave it a score of 9/10 on vndb. I might give it higher, but I don't really want to fiddle too much with 0.x score here. Bottom line I enjoyed it a lot.

As for what to play next.. I started to read Irotoridori again. I might read tokyo babel, but I have had enough action for a while. I  can't really get into irotoridori as I did IMZ.

Setting up playing Shin megami tensei and some other jrpgs. But problematic getting it work perfectly on the emulator, might just buy a hardcopy. I really lazy when things get annoying like this...

That's why I avoided actually saying anything. People will read spoilers even if they know they're coming up out of morbid curiosity.

Just to remain safe, I didn't read that spoiler. Steins;Gate is one of those vns which I definitely don't wanna get spoiled. I had done that in Attack on Titan, knew the whole story at the start itself. I regretted it soo much.

It is a bit boring to play-through the whole game again to get all the true-flags. I plan to get all the achievements on the way too, so it will take some time.

Completed Ikusa Megami ZERO. (IMZ)

Really good game imo. My only real complaint was the H-stuff. Otherwise I had a fun all the way through the vn. I ended up liking the rpg elements surprisingly much, I only needed to grind once very early in the game. Otherwise I could play on auto against easy units. Bosses were usually tense and fun. You had to think somewhat and apply tactics to kill them.

The story was quite different from I am usually used to. I don't think I've actually ever played a game quite like this. It's more like one of these epic quest kind of games. But with actually interesting 

dialog and universe. The characters are at times too arch typical for me. But it didn't really bother me because how the story was setup and progressed.

I ended up liking many of the characters, and even if I don't like all of them I got into them. Even characters with little dialog I could easily place in the world and personality traits. I felt I understood them fast.

Also something that surprised me was the ratio of rpg gameplay and text dialog. Usually as you play you get starved for either. I never really experienced I had too much talking, or too much gameplay. There was a a few times I wish the dungeons were shorter, but I didn't really mind. I feel the vn was really nicely structured, or it just fit me very well.

Honestly I am very glad I ended up playing this vn. It's one of those vn most people should have a try with. Other than the h-stuff, It's great. I gave it a score of 9/10 on vndb. I might give it higher, but I don't really want to fiddle too much with 0.x score here. Bottom line I enjoyed it a lot.

As for what to play next.. I started to read Irotoridori again. I might read tokyo babel, but I have had enough action for a while. I  can't really get into irotoridori as I did IMZ.

Setting up playing Shin megami tensei and some other jrpgs. But problematic getting it work perfectly on the emulator, might just buy a hardcopy. I really lazy when things get annoying like this...

I wanted to play IMZ too, but the last time I checked it wasn't translated to English.

So did you read it in japanese or has the translation come out ?