What are you playing?

Eclipsed's HoshiMemo pt. III

Komomo's route, after the grand revelation of what's been going on behind Komomo's, uh, issue.

I agree, it's probably the best route in Hoshimemo. Not my favorite, but objectively the best.

That's also a good time, to give kudos to the design team. Komomo, with her hair straight, looks just like Kosame. That isn't surprising at all, but I still like this connection, since those sisters are normally so different in appearance and personality.  

I'm reading Cross Channel. Once I got used to the main character, the VN became quite endearing. I still generally dislike the protagonist's pervertedness but once I learned more about the settings and characters and the MC's mentality, I became able to accept the humor at face value. If there's one thing Tanaka Romeo is really good at, it's writing a very funny protagonist. Main characters who aren't just the butt of all the jokes or the comedic straight man. The only other VN of his that I read was Rewrite while there are a ton of differences between Taichi and Kotarou, the big common thread is that they're both independently very funny people. I very much appreciate this and now consider Romeo to be one of the funniest VN authors out there.

Of course, it's not all comedy. Another one of Rewrite's main themes that I thought wasn't explored very well was the dissolution and mending of friendships. Cross Channel is almost exclusively about this and explores it much more intimately. It's also seemingly the main theme of Saihate no Ima. It makes me think that Romeo holds some trauma over destroyed friendships from his teenage years. Hopefully Saihate will be eventually translated, although it's such a seemingly daunting task that I have my doubts. It's apparently holds an even more convoluted narrative than Cross Channel.

Oh and now pay attention to every detail, it's my number 1 advice since this VN is filled with references.

Yeah there are references all over the place. The Chaos;Head ones are the ones that interest me the most. I'm glad that I had read Chaos;Head before starting S;G. The protag is another paranoid guy like in C;H but he is a lot more 'mild' than Takumi.

I'm reading Cross Channel. Once I got used to the main character, the VN became quite endearing. I still generally dislike the protagonist's pervertedness but once I learned more about the settings and characters and the MC's mentality, I became able to accept the humor at face value. If there's one thing Tanaka Romeo is really good at, it's writing a very funny protagonist. Main characters who aren't just the butt of all the jokes or the comedic straight man. The only other VN of his that I read was Rewrite while there are a ton of differences between Taichi and Kotarou, the big common thread is that they're both independently very funny people. I very much appreciate this and now consider Romeo to be one of the funniest VN authors out there.

Of course, it's not all comedy. Another one of Rewrite's main themes that I thought wasn't explored very well was the dissolution and mending of friendships. Cross Channel is almost exclusively about this and explores it much more intimately. It's also seemingly the main theme of Saihate no Ima. It makes me think that Romeo holds some trauma over destroyed friendships from his teenage years. Hopefully Saihate will be eventually translated, although it's such a seemingly daunting task that I have my doubts. It's apparently holds an even more convoluted narrative than Cross Channel.

I had a very similar experience. I was turned off by the protagonist at first, but once I grasped the setting, the bizarre behaviour and feel of just about anyone became really enjoyable and interesting.

It's just a shame that Cross Channel is translated like it is... I hear Romeo knows his words and how to use them in interesting ways, but the translation made the writing style feel average at best.

Just finished the "bad" (can you even call it that? I think "alternative" might be more appropriate here) ending in SubaHibi's "My own creation". Wow.... where do I even start? It was way longer than I expected! And because of that, it gave me so many impressions that I won't be able to stuff them all in here even if I was to post a whole essay in here. :D To put it shortly, I absolutely loved it. This VN just keeps outdoing itself - with how things are going, I'm honestly afraid there is no way the rest of the arcs can even keep up. But judging by what the writer has shown me so far - I trust him to deliver on the rest of the VN as well.

At the beginning of this arc, I was disappointed to leave the perspective of the #1 Cool FeMC Yuki, though I thought I could get to like Takuji a bit more now that I would see the story through his eyes. Then I was promptly reminded that this is the VN where nothing goes how you'd expect it to, though, and my impression of Takuji only worsened with each new scene. But you know what? That'S perfectly okay! Protagonists don't have to be likeable - and while this one was plain disgusting at certain points, it made the story all the more enjoyable. It definitely went into places I didn't expect. Perhaps the most unexpected one was coming across a h-scene that mgiht've been even more disturbing than anything in euphoria - and then, in contrast, a h-scene that was perhaps the most hilarious thing I've ever read. Truly, what a ride. :D

Seriously, that table rape scene nearly had me in tears.

:D The way they sneaked in the table characteristics into an otherwise seemingly normal h-scene was pure genius, I just couldn't stop laughing. :D

But to think what the sticky stuff Yuki touched in the table was... EWWWWW. That definitely wasn't what I was expecting at all... poor Yuki. ;_;

I agree, it's probably the best route in Hoshimemo. Not my favorite, but objectively the best.

That's also a good time, to give kudos to the design team. Komomo, with her hair straight, looks just like Kosame. That isn't surprising at all, but I still like this connection, since those sisters are normally so different in appearance and personality.  

Yeah, I appreciated that detail as well xD.

Speaking of looking alike though, how come You and Chinami don't look alike, despite being siblings?

Actually, don't answer that. I'm about to read Chinami's route soon :P

~~~

Eclipsed's HoshiMemo pt. IV

Finished up Kosame route

Misc. thoughts/comments(spoilers)

• Plotwise there wasn't much lore to be added to the story since it was all covered already during Komomo's route (btw I felt sooo bad that Komomo had to deal with her nightmares solo this time around  :( but by the end of the route she still manages to remember her nightmare on her own and still claim that she wants to protect Kosame :D and that's why Komomo is best girl). 
  • By extension, this also makes me feel at ease as to the fate of the Hisakaki twins should You not chose one of them to romance (ie. they'll still be able to solve their problems even if You doesn't meddle and instead hooks up with another heroine).
  • It was nice to get to see Kosame's point of view on things. (Finally understood why she was so upset over Mare claiming to have friends; Kosame felt that, as beings that do not exist in the world, they shouldn't be allowed to have friends/experience love).
  • Romance was cute. I love how Kosame went from chopping You whenever he says something lustful, to actively pulling You's arm into her chest (to the point he was the one chopping her  :P)
  • .........I cried. So far, only Kosame's route made me cry LOL. I thought it was very, very stupid but clever (and romantic!) how You almost kills himself so that Kosame would experience the feeling of loss so that she would understand how You would feel if she were to leave, thus finally convincing her to stay. +1000 so beautiful, much tears shed.
  • Annnnnd then while You is in almost-dead land he sees his friggen' mom and thanks her for watching over him all this time. Well shit. I'm gonna run out of tissues soon.

I think I'll finish off Cross Channel, just have seeks six and seven to go. That's doable in a day, right? Or are the final two weeks really long? It felt like 4 and 5 were kind of short. Also, the dialog seems like it's becoming more difficult to follow. I'm a natural english speaker and am pretty good at reading and comprehension, so I wonder how much of this is due to the translation and how much is due to the original script being difficult.

After this, I kind of want to go on a Tanaka Romeo journey. I may not be able to read Japanese, but he had more stuff translated than I thought. Or more accurately, he was responsible for more of the translated VNs out there than I expected. This may be a bit off topic, but I want some consultation and don't feel like starting a new thread in recommendations for something so minor. Four options: Kana Imouto, Kazoku Keikaku (Family Project), Yume Miru Kusuri, or the unexpected option: the Humanity Has Declined anime. I haven't read the first two VNs and got halfway through the Aeka route in YMK before dropping it (but I'll give it another chance). I watched the first three episodes of HHS and enjoyed it but never finished it for mysterious reasons. I'll say that I'm not really into incest at all but if the story is good then I'll still read it. I'd like it if some people will share their thoughts on these. edit: Oh, and I was planning on re-reading Rewrite at some point, but not right now.

I was actually very surprised to see that Romeo wrote the Humanity Has Declined LNs, since I didn't get the same vibe from those eps as the vibe I got from his other stuff at all. Maybe it's different in writing.

After this, I kind of want to go on a Tanaka Romeo journey. I may not be able to read Japanese, but he had more stuff translated than I thought. Or more accurately, he was responsible for more of the translated VNs out there than I expected. This may be a bit off topic, but I want some consultation and don't feel like starting a new thread in recommendations for something so minor. Four options: Kana Imouto, Kazoku Keikaku (Family Project), Yume Miru Kusuri, or the unexpected option: the Humanity Has Declined anime. I haven't read the first two VNs and got halfway through the Aeka route in YMK before dropping it (but I'll give it another chance). I watched the first three episodes of HHS and enjoyed it but never finished it for mysterious reasons. I'll say that I'm not really into incest at all but if the story is good then I'll still read it. I'd like it if some people will share their thoughts on these. edit: Oh, and I was planning on re-reading Rewrite at some point, but not right now.

I was actually very surprised to see that Romeo wrote the Humanity Has Declined LNs, since I didn't get the same vibe from those eps as the vibe I got from his other stuff at all. Maybe it's different in writing.

Romeo seems to be a fairly varied writer to me, so it's not so surprising he would have written Jintai.

Regarding the Jintai anime, it's well worth watching in my opinion, it has a pretty distinct and well-made artistic direction and a great tongue-in-cheek, acid humor. The stories are slightly absurd and often very interesting.

Some adaptation choices were made though, for example the LNs aren't chronologically messed up. Not sure what else was changed, as I only read the first volume of the LNs so far.

As for the other VNs, I didn't read them but I think you should be careful regarding the staff indicated. Typically, on Yume Miru Kusuri, Romeo isn't credited to the scenario but to the planning (企画). His name sells, after all. But afaik he didn't write anything himself in it - although he might have had a word in how the story unfolds. 

Speaking of looking alike though, how come You and Chinami don't look alike, despite being siblings?

Actually, don't answer that. I'm about to read Chinami's route soon  :P

Dodged a bullet right there.

Misc. thoughts/comments(spoilers)

Annnnnd then while You is in almost-dead land he sees his friggen' mom and thanks her for watching over him all this time. Well shit. I'm gonna run out of tissues soon.

I love how we get no explanation for the sailor outfit and middleschooler appearance. Mom's like "I'm in heaven, I can do what I want, yo!".

Romeo seems to be a fairly varied writer to me, so it's not so surprising he would have written Jintai.

Regarding the Jintai anime, it's well worth watching in my opinion, it has a pretty distinct and well-made artistic direction and a great tongue-in-cheek, acid humor. The stories are slightly absurd and often very interesting.

Some adaptation choices were made though, for example the LNs aren't chronologically messed up. Not sure what else was changed, as I only read the first volume of the LNs so far.

As for the other VNs, I didn't read them but I think you should be careful regarding the staff indicated. Typically, on Yume Miru Kusuri, Romeo isn't credited to the scenario but to the planning (企画). His name sells, after all. But afaik he didn't write anything himself in it - although he might have had a word in how the story unfolds. 

Thanks for the heads up on YMK. Wikipedia had him pegged as a co-author and is the only name listed in the game's scenario field, but I guess that's wrong? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yume_Miru_Kusuri:_A_Drug_That_Makes_You_Dream

Thanks for the heads up on YMK. Wikipedia had him pegged as a co-author and is the only name listed in the game's scenario field, but I guess that's wrong? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yume_Miru_Kusuri:_A_Drug_That_Makes_You_Dream

The japanese wikipedia, which basically reproduces the credits of the game, has "Yume Miru Kusuri Production Committee" to the scenario and Romeo to the planning, so it's hard to say who did what but Romeo would probably be credited to the writing if he had indeed written something.

The fact that Romeo didn't write in YMK was also mentioned by moogy on ask.fm and he tends to be reliable about that kind of information, probably obtained from Romeo's twitter or japanese fan sites.

Just finished the "bad" (can you even call it that? I think "alternative" might be more appropriate here) ending in SubaHibi's "My own creation". Wow.... where do I even start? It was way longer than I expected! And because of that, it gave me so many impressions that I won't be able to stuff them all in here even if I was to post a whole essay in here. :D To put it shortly, I absolutely loved it. This VN just keeps outdoing itself - with how things are going, I'm honestly afraid there is no way the rest of the arcs can even keep up. But judging by what the writer has shown me so far - I trust him to deliver on the rest of the VN as well.

Now you're making me want to read Subarashiki Hibi again. xD If I did, it'd be the 5th time I'd be reading it... H-hehehehehe... *obsessed* (❀◦‿◦)

In any case, glad to see you're enjoying it. Sca-自 is a genius~

By the way, what are perhaps your impressions on Kimika given that you've seen the "If" route? Just want to know, because I thought she was awesome (only second to Yuki as best girl IMO. Though to me, Ayana is still #1 best girl~ <3). Oh yeah, and that 'cows' scene. <333

I think I'll finish off Cross Channel, just have seeks six and seven to go. That's doable in a day, right? Or are the final two weeks really long? It felt like 4 and 5 were kind of short. Also, the dialog seems like it's becoming more difficult to follow. I'm a natural english speaker and am pretty good at reading and comprehension, so I wonder how much of this is due to the translation and how much is due to the original script being difficult.

After this, I kind of want to go on a Tanaka Romeo journey. I may not be able to read Japanese, but he had more stuff translated than I thought. Or more accurately, he was responsible for more of the translated VNs out there than I expected. This may be a bit off topic, but I want some consultation and don't feel like starting a new thread in recommendations for something so minor. Four options: Kana Imouto, Kazoku Keikaku (Family Project), Yume Miru Kusuri, or the unexpected option: the Humanity Has Declined anime. I haven't read the first two VNs and got halfway through the Aeka route in YMK before dropping it (but I'll give it another chance). I watched the first three episodes of HHS and enjoyed it but never finished it for mysterious reasons. I'll say that I'm not really into incest at all but if the story is good then I'll still read it. I'd like it if some people will share their thoughts on these. edit: Oh, and I was planning on re-reading Rewrite at some point, but not right now.

Regarding Cross+Channel... pretty sure the difficulty lies within the original script and maybe partly through the shoddy translation. Mostly the script since Romeo deliberately writes in a roundabout method that is rather unconventional in comparison to anything else. That's what makes him and his works great to read through, though. (*‿*✿)

By the way, I'd recommend Kazoku Keikaku, as it's a pretty great eroge indeed written by Romeo. Well, I'm not sure, but I think Kana Imouto wasn't completely written by him... I could be wrong since I never looked into that one specifically.

Also, I do understand that you're not looking for anything untranslated, but I will say this because I'm currently reading it myself and have to let it be known. xD The eroge 'Saihate no Ima' is a spectacular work written by him that I feel surpasses or is at least on par with Cross+Channel. It's the most "Romeo-ish" thing I've read and its complexity is beyond anything else out there (except I/O of course, but wasn't he only a sub-writer to that?). Definitely recommend it for anyone pursuing Romeo if they're a huge, huge fan. Or like you said, if one's taking a "Tanaka Romeo journey".

Now you're making me want to read Subarashiki Hibi again. xD If I did, it'd be the 5th time I'd be reading it... H-hehehehehe... *obsessed* (❀◦‿◦)

In any case, glad to see you're enjoying it. Sca-自 is a genius~

By the way, what are perhaps your impressions on Kimika given that you've seen the "If" route? Just want to know, because I thought she was awesome (only second to Yuki as best girl IMO. Though to me, Ayana is still #1 best girl~ <3). Oh yeah, and that 'cows' scene. <333

Aaah, I knew I would forget to mention something!

Kimika was great. I actually really liked her since she first appeared - something about her personality intrigued me, I suppose. From there, she just continued to grow on me. I really didn't expect her to get so adorable in that drug-conversation scene... it was too much to take! :D She was so cute that I was nearly melting, and all those word-puns weren't helping either. I suppose what I liked about her the most was how she just joined with her own agenda, skilfully taking advantage of the whole situation.

Well, as you said, she obviously doesn't beat best girl Yuki, but she was plenty awesome. :D As for Ayana... I really like her, though if she makes it about Yuki or not depends on what I see of her later. :D

And 5th time? ...wow! :D You must know every little detail there is to the story. ^^;

I will warn you that basically nothing Romeo has ever done has translated well into english. Even Ixrec admits that his own C+C translation is really bad, and the others are... just really unrepresentative of what he actually is. Especially KK.

Also, I'm not sure why this whole thing started with Romeo writing YMK, but he didn't. He's in the credits but on several sites some other people are listed as the writers, it doesn't look like romeo wrote a single sentence of it.

Jintai has some amazing voice acting for Watashi the protag, but apart from that I think the episodes are all really out of order from the LN's. I've heard it's worth it if you never plan on touching the LN's, though? Can't give a definitive response to this.