What are you playing?

Completed Lorelia's ending in Kyonyuu Fantasy 2 if and it was pretty good, better than her ending in the original game. Played a bit of the canon route and the new story direction is interesting so far, played some of the Elicia route...and it seems to be very much the same as in the original except for the occasional new scene.

Now playing Yume's after story in Da Capo 2 Spring Celebration...and it's kind of boring so far -_-

Partially because at the moment Yume herself is barely doing anything in it

Finished the first arc, Down the Rabbit Hole, in Subarashiki Hibi. Well, rather than finished, I've accidentally went straight for the true (?) ending instead of finishing all the other content first. This might actually finally teach me to never refuse yuri use walkthroughs-- I've always felt like choices are a fun part of a VN, and discovering its structure and such is a part of the experience, but I really don't like getting the good/true endings before the bad ones. It just seems to take away from the 'lesser'/bad endings' value, if that makes any sense. I still feel like cheating while using a walkthrough, but... to the people who've read SubaHibi, do you think it's better to use a walkthrough in this case? I remember someone said they got the endings out of order in the last arc too, so that'd probably be good to avoid...

As for the story itself

Wow, that was great, especially for a first arc! The 'it was all a dream!' kind of twists are usually really lame, but this was done so well that I honestly can

not be happy with this. Speaking of the ending, though, just when I was starting to figure things out, with who the 'girl that's the world itself' and all, that space-train scene came and made me feel incredibly dumb. :x I feel like most of what went on in the train went completely over my head... I feel like re-reading this won't even help, that's how lost I was. Were they quoting a book? The most I've gotten was the comparison to 銀河鉄道の夜 since they were nice enough to spell that out completely, but since I haven't read the book itself yet (I really need to catch up with classic literature), I have no idea what more they took from that than the hole in the sky part. Basically, everything about that man (book? :S) was completely lost on me. I guess I'll have to read that part again - and very carefully - and probably even catch up on the literature before that. Oh this VN will ruin me...

Fellow Subarashiki Hibi reader, hello. (*‿*✿) Obsessing aside...

I was also talking to Bolverk a while ago when he read it, about a rather "important" (at least I feel it is) walkthrough needed to get the best experience from SubaHibi. I don't know of very many useful walkthroughs to SubaHibi except one that's entirely in Japanese and even then if you can read it, the guide's still really confusing to follow/lists spoilers.

I'll be putting this 'walkthrough' into a spoiler simply to package it up, so don't worry about any SubaHibi spoilers inside!

My advice for choice order only applies to Chapters 2, 3, and 4.

It's my Own Invention, Looking-Glass Insects, and Jabberwocky I. For every first choice menu that you get in each of these chapters, you want to pick the top/first choice.

The reason is because pretty much every bottom/last choice in the game actually always leads to the "true ending", that can advance you to the next chapter or part. It is crucial (I feel), that you experience the alt. routes in those specific chapters, so you especially want to follow through with this simple (but easily forgettable) guide for 2, 3, and 4.

I'll conclude by saying that this VN is quite the treat, so experience it well my friend. (❀◦‿◦)

Finished the first arc, Down the Rabbit Hole, in Subarashiki Hibi. Well, rather than finished, I've accidentally went straight for the true (?) ending instead of finishing all the other content first. This might actually finally teach me to never refuse yuri use walkthroughs-- I've always felt like choices are a fun part of a VN, and discovering its structure and such is a part of the experience, but I really don't like getting the good/true endings before the bad ones. It just seems to take away from the 'lesser'/bad endings' value, if that makes any sense. I still feel like cheating while using a walkthrough, but... to the people who've read SubaHibi, do you think it's better to use a walkthrough in this case? I remember someone said they got the endings out of order in the last arc too, so that'd probably be good to avoid...

As for the story itself

Wow, that was great, especially for a first arc! The 'it was all a dream!' kind of twists are usually really lame, but this was done so well that I honestly can

not be happy with this. Speaking of the ending, though, just when I was starting to figure things out, with who the 'girl that's the world itself' and all, that space-train scene came and made me feel incredibly dumb. :x I feel like most of what went on in the train went completely over my head... I feel like re-reading this won't even help, that's how lost I was. Were they quoting a book? The most I've gotten was the comparison to 銀河鉄道の夜 since they were nice enough to spell that out completely, but since I haven't read the book itself yet (I really need to catch up with classic literature), I have no idea what more they took from that than the hole in the sky part. Basically, everything about that man (book? :S) was completely lost on me. I guess I'll have to read that part again - and very carefully - and probably even catch up on the literature before that. Oh this VN will ruin me...

Can you say something about the reading difficulty?  :)

Fellow Subarashiki Hibi reader, hello. (*‿*✿) Obsessing aside...

I was also talking to Bolverk a while ago when he read it, about a rather "important" (at least I feel it is) walkthrough needed to get the best experience from SubaHibi. I don't know of very many useful walkthroughs to SubaHibi except one that's entirely in Japanese and even then if you can read it, the guide's still really confusing to follow/lists spoilers.

I'll be putting this 'walkthrough' into a spoiler simply to package it up, so don't worry about any SubaHibi spoilers inside!

My advice for choice order only applies to Chapters 2, 3, and 4.

It's my Own Invention, Looking-Glass Insects, and Jabberwocky I. For every first choice menu that you get in each of these chapters, you want to pick the top/first choice.

The reason is because pretty much every bottom/last choice in the game actually always leads to the "true ending", that can advance you to the next chapter or part. It is crucial (I feel), that you experience the alt. routes in those specific chapters, so you especially want to follow through with this simple (but easily forgettable) guide for 2, 3, and 4.

I'll conclude by saying that this VN is quite the treat, so experience it well my friend. (❀◦‿◦)

I don't think it's a too difficult read. :) Like I said before, a lot of the narration is in spoken form, and the textbox doesn't get overly packed either unless it gets into some of the really weird stuff. Some of the dialogue can be really vague and confusing, but I think that applies even for Japanese people reading this novel - there's no extremely confusing grammar or sentence structures; when you don't understand something entirely, it's probably because you aren't supposed to. Just to give an example without spoiling things, a certain character likes to talk about the 'beginning' and 'ending' of the sky - doesn't really make much sense no matter in which language you hear it, I think. :D

It's no moege, but it's definitely no Muramasa either. Since you're reading stuff like Gekkou no Carnevale already, you probably won't have any trouble with SubaHibi. ^^

Mayuki's route is far too out of place to be in Comyu imo, while not being bad at all, it lacks that dark and attractive atmosphere.

I finished Fate Hollow/Ataraxia, it was good but TOO long, I spent so much time in it, more than in any other VN. The story structure is really scattered, this might be why.

Now I can resume Yu-No, it was awesome before I stalled it.

Mayuki's route is far too out of place to be in Comyu imo, while not being bad at all, it lacks that dark and attractive atmosphere.

I finished Fate Hollow/Ataraxia, it was good but TOO long, I spent so much time in it, more than in any other VN. The story structure is really scattered, this might be why.

Now I can resume Yu-No, it was awesome before I stalled it.

Ataraxia is worth it if you liked FSN. But it's really different, aside from the characters everything has changed, Shirou is still the same but it's a lot less shocking than in FSN because of the really light-hearted tone in easily 80% of the VN. (I skipped the h-scenes so I can't say anything about it :P )

There is a lot more of screentime for some characters that were underused such as Lancer and Kuzuki for instance, but very few fighting scenes. It also deepens the original background with Lancer,Rider,Caster,Kuzuki's stories, you learn new things about Ayako and Issei as well. Bazett is cool.

It switches between funny scenes and serious (and disturbing) ones but as I said, there is a lot more fanservice describing the characters everyday life, one must be prepared for this.

Personally, I liked FSN better and you might find FHA really boring if you didn't like the cast, there is a plot of course but the whole thing is too rambled to play it if you're looking for serious buisness only.

Fanservice everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzyRFTSrpL4

I'm finishing up some bad ends in Cartagra. I've already gotten the true end. There were some things I didn't like so much but overall it wasn't bad.

In a convenient turn of events, the Cannon Ball patch was just released, so I'm downloading that game now and will probably make it my next one.

I'm also playing Rose Guns Days, this is the first Ryukishi VN that I am not 100% invested. 

I  didn't expect too much from Rose Guns Days to be honest. Besides it not having anything to do with Higurashi/Umineko, it also has a theme/setting I'm not really interested in. But I decided to give it a chance. Almost directly after I started I took like 3 breaks from it while not having read for even 5 hours. Later I picked it up again and read the whole thing and s2 in 1 go.

I really underestimated this VN.. no it's definitely not on the level of the When They Cry series, no it's not a masterpiece, but it certainly is a Ryukishi07 and definitely worth to read. I hope you'll come to enjoy and respect it just as much as I did. ^_^