What are you playing?

I'm also interested in this. I've heard Rance is a good game, so that means I'll probably play it at some point, but I've also heard it has rape, which would be a first for me, and I'd be interested in knowing what differentiates such a thing from normal garbage you can find in a visual novel.

First of all it has a proper story-line which is pretty interesting, the rpg elements are pretty good, and as I mentioned above the h-scenes are interesting for a change which is quite rare indeed. The CGs and graphics are very good too.

Well, whatever. If the story is good, I guess I'll go along with it. Still not convinced that the story's good enough for me to go through RPG grind though.

It isnt exactly a grind, you can infact skip some of the battles but you also loose out on some story in the process. Its nowhere like the grinds in other rpgs where you have to repeat the same level/dungeon for money/exp. I too hate grinding and well it never felt like a grind in Rance. 

I wanted to know, are the other games in the Rance series as good as Sengoku or not ?

In fact, is any Rance that good at all? I've heard a lot of praises, but I don't really like the RPG element... If the story is worth it though, then maybe I'll play it... :/

I'm also interested in this. I've heard Rance is a good game, so that means I'll probably play it at some point, but I've also heard it has rape, which would be a first for me, and I'd be interested in knowing what differentiates such a thing from normal garbage you can find in a visual novel.

Pfft. You say "garbage", but the only thing that's preventing me from playing this game for the rape material is because I don't know if it's one of those "hipster rape" thing that doesn't serve to satisfy lust but incorporates it as part of the plot.

Well, whatever. If the story is good, I guess I'll go along with it. Still not convinced that the story's good enough for me to go through RPG grind though.

Wow. So many questions about Rance.

I play Rance because of its lore. I really like the lore. About how everything in the Ranceverse, as Rance's world is commonly known, is part of some grand scheme of the gods ---- a scheme that will ultimately end in despair, repeating for all eternity in order to give entertainment to the whale-god. You could read the lore yourselves to find out. This is the lore, as I've said. The Rance games focus on, of course, the protagonist named Rance, and his adventures throughout the Continent. These adventures will then trigger a series of events that will ultimately disrupt the plan of the gods, or actually put them into work, depending on where the series will bring us on X. Rance has been going about, saving different nations with a goal of fucking beautiful women all throughout the land. His sex drive is that strong. He's also arrogant, abusive, and more. The term 'anti-hero' would fit this description. What's ironic is that instead of focusing on the Hero of the Era, which is some random boy in the Continent who happens to turn 13 by the time the previous Hero of the Era loses his powers, which is when he hits 20, it instead focuses on Rance. Rance is not part of the overall scheme of the gods. He is simply what you would call a 'glitch', separating himself from the others due to his infinite level cap, a property that the Supreme God Roven-Pan didn't consider happening. But Rance would have little to no chance of realizing this, as he is too lazy and too busy bumming around to properly level himself up into an overpowered character in the Ranceverse. The achievements he gained were all products of his incredible sex drive, and also because of his Great Fortune. The lore is vast. Try reading it when you have the time!

About the games... Rance I to 5D, as far as I'm concerned, are standard ADV games. These games are where you have a bunch of options and basically have to feel your way through the game. Sadly, some choices exceed common sense, so I use a guide. The game is linear anyway, well, except for Sengoku Rance and Rance IX: The Helman Revolution. The highlight of this game, for me, is Rance himself, and his personality. His deeds are quite good too. I'm amused by Rance. He's the very embodiment of an anti-hero, but he seems more heroic than the person meant to be a hero in the Continent.

Try playing it. I'm not regretting every minute I put into the game. I still haven't fully finished Sengoku Rance. I might play it again. But I'm busy with school, and I'm currently stalling Rance IV. Hope this helps!

And oh. The rape scenes aren't those related to the story (well some are). Rape scenes are mostly products of either the demons getting a hold of your female commander or Rance wants the girl that bad.

Here are some screenshots to highlight the game's contents.

MT0ulXG.jpgOC51Y5M.jpgjpwFMAO.pngezAmGl3.jpgXbNNAg4.jpg

From what I've heard, it should definitely fit your petty standards.

More like specific standards. People can really underestimate the things that satisfy a rapist... surprisingly enough for the nukige industry.

And oh. The rape scenes aren't those related to the story (well some are). Rape scenes are mostly products of either the demons getting a hold of your female commander or Rance wants the girl that bad.

Like this kind of bullshit. A joke of a rape. Honestly, it undervalues the horrors of rape more so than hardcore rape scenes that take rape realistically/seriously.

Also, demon-rape is boring. I'm not a non-human, so the non-human part is kinda unrelatable. Same reason why I can't jack off to tentacle rape.

It isnt exactly a grind, you can infact skip some of the battles but you also loose out on some story in the process. Its nowhere like the grinds in other rpgs where you have to repeat the same level/dungeon for money/exp. I too hate grinding and well it never felt like a grind in Rance. 

Good enough. If it really does involve the story as an integral part of the battles/RPG, then it's better than the standard JRPG I've seen in VNs.

Yeah Rance isn't for the sensitive type or those who have been traumatized. It's like playing a as a frat boy from an American College in a game. Very off putting

But Rance grew on me the more I played him. I hated Sengoku Rance when I first started and Rance was the main reason I held off for 2 months.

The gameplay is addicting, and the story can be cute. I love all the female characters (Sill, Kenshi, Tomato girl, etc.), practically a over a hundred of them. 

I found Rance 2 remake playable just because it had the same humor and updated Graphics. Gameplay isn't all that great and its just a time sink to make a short game longer. They're easily avoidable and don't take much time to beat. The boss battles can be somewhat fun though.

Like this kind of bullshit. A joke of a rape. Honestly, it undervalues the horrors of rape more so than hardcore rape scenes that take rape realistically/seriously.

Also, demon-rape is boring. I'm not a non-human, so the non-human part is kinda unrelatable. Same reason why I can't jack off to tentacle rape.

Exactly. That's what it is. A joke of a rape.

I wanted to ask which other Rance game is worth playing other than sengoku. Which has good enough graphics, good story, gameplay and is ofc translated.

Personally, I think all Rance games are worth playing.

But if you only want good graphics, story, and gameplay, which is also translated, then that's quite a problem. I don't the story is as good as it is to me if you skip the ones that are old.

The only other one which has good art is Rance 02, the remake of the original Rance II.

I can't say that it has good gameplay though.

Sengoku Rance is too much of a unique case. That's why it sold so well. The people played it not only because of the story, but because of the gameplay too.

Here's a sample of 02:

ikDhHMz.jpgVpTrQRW.jpg

Don't worry, it's translated.

All the others have mediocre art. You would expect such art from the 1990's, after all.

Rance I (1989), Rance III (1991), Rance IV (1993), Rance 4.1 (1995), Rance 4.2 (1995), and Kichikuou Rance (1996) are all translated.

If you want something close to Sengoku Rance in terms of gameplay, Kichikuou is the way to go.

But it references a lot of things from the previous games.

If you want to, click my sig. It should link you to the thread about Alicesoft games.

Yeah Rance isn't for the sensitive type or those who have been traumatized. It's like playing a as a frat boy from an American College in a game. Very off putting

But Rance grew on me the more I played him. I hated Sengoku Rance when I first started and Rance was the main reason I held off for 2 months.

The gameplay is addicting, and the story can be cute. I love all the female characters (Sill, Kenshi, Tomato girl, etc.), practically a over a hundred of them. 

I found Rance 2 remake playable just because it had the same humor and updated Graphics. Gameplay isn't all that great and its just a time sink to make a short game longer. They're easily avoidable and don't take much time to beat. The boss battles can be somewhat fun though.

Which games did you play?

Edit: Ah. Wrong line. Sorry for the double post.

So far, Sengoku, 2 and the kichikuou rance. I'd recommend Kichikuou because it's also turn based, but the graphics are really horrible.

I don't think it's that horrible. It looks nice to me.

But it is undeniable that the games that come after it look a lot better.

Still, it's pretty good. Save for some other portraits.

Or is it me being used to old graphics? I might never know.

I haven't played Kichikuou. Refraining from playing it 'till I get to finishing IV, 4.1 and 4.2.

Personally, I think all Rance games are worth playing.

But if you only want good graphics, story, and gameplay, which is also translated, then that's quite a problem. I don't the story is as good as it is to me if you skip the ones that are old.

The only other one which has good art is Rance 02, the remake of the original Rance II.

I can't say that it has good gameplay though.

Sengoku Rance is too much of a unique case. That's why it sold so well. The people played it not only because of the story, but because of the gameplay too.

Here's a sample of 02:

ikDhHMz.jpgVpTrQRW.jpg

Don't worry, it's translated.

All the others have mediocre art. You would expect such art from the 1990's, after all.

Rance I (1989), Rance III (1991), Rance IV (1993), Rance 4.1 (1995), Rance 4.2 (1995), and Kichikuou Rance (1996) are all translated.

If you want something close to Sengoku Rance in terms of gameplay, Kichikuou is the way to go.

But it references a lot of things from the previous games.

If you want to, click my sig. It should link you to the thread about Alicesoft games.

Gameplay is not a must, I meant that if there is some gameplay(rpg elements) in the game it should be of play-able quality and not the fully crap mechanisms in some games.

As for for the graphics, Rance VI and ahead have good graphics but ones before are hardly any good(which are only ones translated). The only times I play games with old graphics is when the story is of excellent quality which I doubt would be the case here.

As you said Rance 02 seems the best for me to play.

I watched the first chapter of Danganronpa 2 and holy cow tits that was amazing.

(HUGE SPOILERS, guaranteed Chapter 1 spoilers)

A friend had told me that Teru murders Komaeda so I was in denial even when Hanamura was found out and there were 40 minutes left in the chapter when the Closing Argument (Climax Interference) appeared. A nice point is that I was in denial even during that phase.

I don't know still who offed Komaeda. I'll probably learn when I get the game.

Oh, also Komaeda now really scares me