Tales of Zestiria

Maxel

The problem with the FPS lock is, that it can cause problems especially if you have a high-end PC (not all of them it depends on the parts used).

it can cause massive performance issues and even make the game unplayable in the worst cases.

30 fps isn't a deal breaker for me. I recently bought a 4k TV, and my GTX 780 TI can't get a consistent 60 fps in most games at that resolution. It'll be nice to play it at 4k locked at 30 fps without feeling like I'm missing out. Generally speaking, I always choose 60 fps at 1080p in that scenario. At least until the next line of GPUs are released which make 4k more viable without buying a specialty card like the Titan X or an SLI setup.

The Tales of Symphonia PC release is also coming up in just a few months. It'll be interesting to see if it has an unlocked framerate, as the GameCube version runs at 60 fps, while the PS2 and PS3 HD versions run at 30.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, that's bad, but we at least have japanese voices...

Anyway, I've heard there's a lot of "b"romance: http://33.media.tumblr.com/423ee309be81d9dabd15699a66691105/tumblr_ninoyskqy71s8nccpo1_250.gif

If only!

Zestiria comes out today and I'm still so unsure of what to do... what I've been told has me pretty much convinced, though, so I'll probably not buy it.

On the bright side for PC players, I'm sure someone will mod the original opening music into the game.

Will it be allowed in the Steam Workshop, though? It's highly probable we are not getting the OP with the lyrics due to copyright issues, so I don't think Steam would allow users to just violate the law.

On the bright side for PC players, I'm sure someone will mod the original opening music into the game.

Will it be allowed in the Steam Workshop, though? It's highly probable we are not getting the OP with the lyrics due to copyright issues, so I don't think Steam would allow users to just violate the law.

There is pretty much no chance that it will be in the Steam workshop, but you could easily mod it through other channels (the same is true for pretty much any PC game). Whether or not that would be considered legal is a different story. 

I don't really mind that guitar solo. Sounds good to me. It's just that people are more used to having vocals in their anime openings.

That being said if you switch voices from English to Japanese won't the opening be sung in Japanese instead?

No, since it's a matter of copyright of the game.

And yes, the instrumental version is cool, but if you've heard the Japanese version of the opening with the vocals, at leats once, you easily realize the instrumental lacks something, a sort of oomph. It's nice, but no way as cool as the complete version. The instrumental one, you enjoy. The complete one, you'd watch every single time you opened the game. It's not about being used to them, but rather that without the vocals, they are incomplete songs, and it feels like that.

Bascally, we've got a super long instrumental solo (as cool as it is), instead of an actual song, for the opening.

As expected, reading Steam discussions etc. The PC release is full of bugs.

- Game crashes at start

- Audio doesn't work

- AVG detecting a virus xD

- Only 16:9 supported, other aspect ratios stretches

- Stuttering (V-sync bugged)

- And way, way more

Well, the game costs 50 euros, and they released it without fixing the issues. It's Bndai Namco, if they won't patch it soon, they'll get even more refunds...

You can easily switch the opening movie, they put both instrumental and voiced into the files, but set up instrumental as core(probably they put the voiced one by "mistake") you just have to change the file name, and voilla.

Anyone from fuwa played PC release?

Will play later tonight.

30 FPS is a pain, already bugs me about the PS3 games, but oh well - I bought the PC version to support more Tales of games coming to the PC, after all. Hoping people manage to mod it to run 60 FPS in some way, then I'll be more than happy.

Complaints about the story being lackluster are kind of silly considering it's a Tales of game, they always are to some extend. Out-of-the-blue twists indicating another 10-20 hour stretch in the game, overall lackluster story, but incredible character interaction are what I've come to expect from the franchise. It's a Tales of game for fans of the franchise.

As expected, reading Steam discussions etc. The PC release is full of bugs.

Hidden Content

Well, the game costs 50 euros, and they released it without fixing the issues. It's Bndai Namco, if they won't patch it soon, they'll get even more refunds...

You can easily switch the opening movie, they put both instrumental and voiced into the files, but set up instrumental as core(probably they put the voiced one by "mistake") you just have to change the file name, and voilla.

Anyone from fuwa played PC release?

I've put in a few hours, and I haven't encountered any of these bugs. The only issue I have with it is low resolution character face self shadowing, which looks like garbage. I had to bloom it out with ReShade. I also only paid the equivalent of €36/$41 in my local currency. Steam has been awesome that way since finally ditching € in favor of NOK.

Gameplay wise, it's exactly what I wanted after Graces. Story wise, I agree with Nayleen.

I've been playing it on maxed out settings with v-sync on. It looks pretty nice, I haven't gotten any stuttering at all. I really don't mind the frame-rate to much because at least its been running at a smooth and constant 30 FPS. I've thankfully yet to encounter any of the bugs that I've seen mentioned on the Steam forums.

The audio bugs as well as the game crashing at startup (assuming this is the bug that occurs after selecting a language) are apparently related to headsets/headphones, but I'm playing the sound through my system's speakers and it I've had no issues there. 

Only played the prologue portion so far, but its pretty fun, this game reminds me of graces in a few ways too. 

Will play later tonight.

30 FPS is a pain, already bugs me about the PS3 games, but oh well - I bought the PC version to support more Tales of games coming to the PC, after all. Hoping people manage to mod it to run 60 FPS in some way, then I'll be more than happy.

Complaints about the story being lackluster are kind of silly considering it's a Tales of game, they always are to some extend. Out-of-the-blue twists indicating another 10-20 hour stretch in the game, overall lackluster story, but incredible character interaction are what I've come to expect from the franchise. It's a Tales of game for fans of the franchise.

The complains with the story are not about whether it's lackluster or not, it's about something important that happens half-way in the game, and for the rest of it. Not really gonna say it since it's a spoiler, though... but if anyone's curious just ask me or smth.

The thing is, to put it in a non-spoiler way, the guys behind the game made 1. an awful marketing decision that was borderline scamming and 2. a decision in the middle of the game that kinda breaks the whole pace and story build-up.

I'll just borrow this game from my friends once they're done with it. I don't think I'll purchase a game which has some flaws to it especially the camera issue.

And yes, the instrumental version is cool, but if you've heard the Japanese version of the opening with the vocals, at leats once, you easily realize the instrumental lacks something, a sort of oomph. It's nice, but no way as cool as the complete version. The instrumental one, you enjoy. The complete one, you'd watch every single time you opened the game. It's not about being used to them, but rather that without the vocals, they are incomplete songs, and it feels like that.

Bascally, we've got a super long instrumental solo (as cool as it is), instead of an actual song, for the opening.

I've heard about licensing problems with this game. What was it about specifically?

Yeah, I've listened to the Japanese vocals for this game over at my friend's place and I can tell you how much impact it has over the opening. Her voice was deep and intense but it matched the concept for it nicely. To be honest I was hoping for an English vocal of the song like what they had with Vesperia.

In the end you've pretty much explained what I wanted to say about the opening actually. I couldn't think of the right words to describe it before.

I'll just borrow this game from my friends once they're done with it. I don't think I'll purchase a game which has some flaws to it especially the camera issue.

I've heard about licensing problems with this game. What was it about specifically?

Yeah, I've listened to the Japanese vocals for this game over at my friend's place and I can tell you how much impact it has over the opening. Her voice was deep and intense but it matched the concept for it nicely. To be honest I was hoping for an English vocal of the song like what they had with Vesperia.

In the end you've pretty much explained what I wanted to say about the opening actually. I couldn't think of the right words to describe it before.

The copyright issue is that, precisely. The Japanese music industry has kinda weird copyright laws, so the Western release has the OP with the song, but no vocals, in order to respect those copyright laws. It's kinda insane...

Okay so some quick opinion from me.

Downloaded the game, didn't pre-ordered because I thought it'll be utter shit with 30 FPS lock. I have to say that the difference between 4K and 1080p is hmm... huge? On 1080p game looks bad, kinda ugly when you move, but on 4K it looks really good I would say. 30 FPS isn't that bad, I thought it would be way worse, but the game is playable and enjoyable. 

So far played for couple hours, already get into "armatization" part and it's pretty damn cool, reminds me of Fairy Fencer. The characters are okay, and I think I can understand the japanese ratings of bugged and "not so pretty" PS3 version. and the whole "Alisha thing" without already knowing the thing it would hit hard I guess, and the bad marketing=pissed off fans. I hope story won't turn to shit... For now it's average. 

I'll probably buy the game(I NEED BERSERIA ON PC) when it'll go on sale 20-40%, for now the game is 8/10 for 4K and 6,5/10 for 1080p, it really looks different. Can't imagine myself playing 1280x720 PS3 version without upgraded models etc.

I really want to see 4K/30FPS Berseria with improved camera/improved combat system and badass female mc.

Maybe if Namco'll release DLC within the main game, japanese guys wouldn't be that angry at them.

Edited by Maxel

Okay so some quick opinion from me.

Downloaded the game, didn't pre-ordered because I thought it'll be utter shit with 30 FPS lock. I have to say that the difference between 4K and 1080p is hmm... huge? On 1080p game looks bad, kinda ugly when you move, but on 4K it looks really good I would say. 30 FPS isn't that bad, I thought it would be way worse, but the game is playable and enjoyable. 

So far played for couple hours, already get into "armatization" part and it's pretty damn cool, reminds me of Fairy Fencer. The characters are okay, and I think I can understand the japanese ratings of bugged and "not so pretty" PS3 version. and the whole "Alisha thing" without already knowing the thing it would hit hard I guess, and the bad marketing=pissed off fans. I hope story won't turn to shit... For now it's average. 

I'll probably buy the game(I NEED BERSERIA ON PC) when it'll go on sale 20-40%, for now the game is 8/10 for 4K and 6,5/10 for 1080p, it really looks different. Can't imagine myself playing 1280x720 PS3 version without upgraded models etc.

I really want to see 4K/30FPS Berseria with improved camera/improved combat system and badass female mc.

Maybe if Namco'll release DLC within the main game, japanese guys wouldn't be that angry at them.

I wonder... I sitll think that the DLC is only a partial solution, and a bad one since we are at it. The Alisha DLC happens after the story, so in no way it solves the problem fans have with the game and Alisha's matter. Fans are pissed twofold. Once, for the fraudulent marketing, and twice because of how terrible the Alisha matter is done within the game.

To PC players, a file replacement mod has surfaced to get the lyrics back in the opening

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=538629063

Apparently the version of the opening was in the game files right after launch, but was quickly removed from the files after a patch, the file in the guide is just that file renamed to that of the one used for the opening video.