Help me find a VN

Seajaycj

Im new to visual novels and I have never read one . I'm interested in a post apocalyptic setting or with zombie and horror but I want there to be romance too. Tell me if you know any and just one question is there any programs I need to be able to read and play VN or do I just download the VN and I can just play it without any thing else. Thanks!

Swan Song is post apocalyptic, translated, and one of the best Visual Novels I have read thus far. Without a doubt I recommend it. You need to download the VN (unfortunately I am not allowed to link you to a download), and apply a translation patch which you can get here. (This site that hosts the download for the translation patch may also host the download for the VN itself ;))

Regarding zombie post apocalyptic VNs, there honestly aren't that many. The Japanese don't seem to be obsessed with zombies in the same way western pop-culture is.

You don't really need anything for most cases, but if you want to play a VN, you should have your computer locale set to Japanese,so the text format does not get messed up. What your looking exists, but unfortunately it is untranslated, since your new, let me recommend you one of my favorite VN that is really great, Muv-Luv, It is a series of two VNs, the original, and the sequel, Muv-Luv alternative. The setting is not really post apocalyptic, but it kind of meets your taste in a way....the sequel at least. I'm not going to ruin the story or anything, but know that it is a great read, and the ride is one helluav rough one, but it will be worth it in the end. The first one is more focused on romance and more calm and peaceful, and with some humor in it. The sequel.....let's just say shit hit the fans....you will enjoy it for sure.if you like action, the story in the sequel is simply amazing. 

Seeing how you rated Key's anime so highly (Angel Beats, Clannad), why don't you try Planetarian? Swan Song is also a great game.

Might also want to check out Sekien no Inganock or Saya no Uta.

I'd also personally go against the Muv Luv suggestion. It's a very, very long read and you'll essentially be forced to pass through an entire game of nothing before checking out the sequel (which is the only redeeming part of the series). While Muv Luv Alter is amazing, it's not worth to force you to go through Muv Luv as your first VN just because of it. Check it out in the future if you like mechs and have a few titles under your belt, though. 

Also, check out my 50 translated VNs you should read before you die thread- the link is in my sig. Who knows, maybe you'll find something you like. 

For Horror, a personal recommendation of mine would be Phenomeno. There's not much in terms of romance there, but it's just a few hours long and I'd say it's the best translated title we have when it comes to horror. I'd highly recommend anyone who hasn't read it to try it out.

@zalor thanks I'll try it but how do you use translation patches do I just download them and it automatically translates the VN or what? @sub-zer0 thanks for the recommendation @kaguya are these in English or do they need translation patches?.

@zalor thanks I'll try it but how do you use translation patches do I just download them and it automatically translates the VN or what?

First you download the patch, and then you have to run the patch (it's an executable program usually). Then you might have to select the directory of where your Visual Novel is, and then voila! It should be patched. Also, you will need to set your Computer's locale set to Japanese. You can easily do that with this guide.

In fact, just watch this video: it shows you how to change your locale, how to install a Japanese VN, and how to apply a translation patch. The video basically covers all the essentials on how to play fan translated Visual Novels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DBZ2BS0evw

@zalor thanks I'll try it but how do you use translation patches do I just download them and it automatically translates the VN or what? @sub-zer0 thanks for the recommendation @kaguya are these in English or do they need translation patches?.

All my suggestions are in english... They do need patches, depending on where you download them from- basically all fantranslated VNs will use patches, which is the great majority of them. It's pretty simple to use patches, for the most part (normally you just run the patch after a download and it'll do the job by itself) but if you don't want to, I could pm you a site where you can download pre-patched visual novels (the patch is already applied, so you don't need to do it yourself- it has to be a pm because we don't allow for those to be posted in public, though.)

Those prepatched VNs do come in torrents, though. Do you have utorrent or the like? It's generally easier for newcomers to get their VNs like this. 

I'll second Swan Song as a decent post-disaster story (earthquake in this case) that may as well be post-apocalyptic, focusing on societal breakdown and rebuilding, and how people can transform in such unusual circumstances. One of the things that makes it interesting is how it's told from the point of view of several different characters, not all of whom will have righteous character arcs. Sekien no Inganock is a good fantasy-steampunk dystopian post-disaster story (that's a lot of adjectives). Inganock's story is a lot more high-concept than Swan Song's with a complex plot dealing with the metaphysical, has a really depressing and grimdark setting, and also a pretty unique art style.

This Visual Novel: https://vndb.org/v16802

It's pretty much what you are looking for; A zombie/horror post apocalyptic setting probably with romance judging by its cover.

However this VN does sadly not have an English translation. You are basically left with the only choice of using a machine translator as for now if you can not read Japanese.

Guro in general is more niche in Japan than it is in the West...  of course, where it exists it can be worse than anything you can find on American TV at times *speaking from experience*

Edit:  Nothing translated, but Xuse made a zombie action-rpg VN a while back.