Clephas' Untranslated Reading Club

Clephas

To be honest, the reading times some people describe for VNs in Japanese - a hundred or more hours for Hoshimemo, for instance - frequently baffle me...  However, I have to concede that my reading speed is abnormal.

Considering that Hoshimemo is predicted to take 30 - 50 hours long if you're fluent in the language you're reading it in (according to the vndb page). It doesn't really surprise me that people take 2 - 3 times longer than they normally would to finish a VN of that length in a foreign language. My understanding, (and certainly this is true of me as well) is that a decent amount of people reading Untld VNs are in the process of learning Japanese. Meaning that they don't know the language that well yet. And until they have read a good amount of VNs (someone once told me around 6-8), they will be mostly relying on dictionaries and their grammatical knowledge to comprehend the story. And early on in that process you will probably be referencing your grammar guide a lot too. Unless if you are just reading the translated words off of Translation Aggregator, and not using the program as a tool to learn Japanese; than it will probably take a relative beginner a while to read a long VN in Japanese. 

also props to clephas for not taking VNs that arent INSANELY hard to read.

Looking forward to the next poll consisting of just Albatross, Dies Irae, Saihate no Ima and Bradyon Veda.  :makina:

Now to wade through all of that to get to the hard SF part...

Hm, I am not the only one spoiled on the genre shift then? I kind of know what the shift involves and it worries me... hopefully they actually go over that part first. Damn it VNDB. :wafuu:

Hm, I am not the only one spoiled on the genre shift then? I kind of know what the shift involves and it worries me... hopefully they actually go over that part first. Damn it VNDB. :wafuu:

I don't know who in their sane mind would get into this without knowing it'll be hard SF, haha. Although I don't have the slightest idea how the transition will occur.

But according to the only sample I've read of Watanabe, ie acclaimed kamige Otoko Dogeza Jigoku, he's fucked up in his mind so I trust him.

My understanding, (and certainly this is true of me as well) is that a decent amount of people reading Untld VNs are in the process of learning Japanese. Meaning that they don't know the language that well yet. And until they have read a good amount of VNs (someone once told me around 6-8), they will be mostly relying on dictionaries and their grammatical knowledge to comprehend the story. And early on in that process you will probably be referencing your grammar guide a lot too. Unless if you are just reading the translated words off of Translation Aggregator, and not using the program as a tool to learn Japanese; than it will probably take a relative beginner a while to read a long VN in Japanese.

Pretty much yeah. For my first book in japanese it sometimes took me literally 15 minutes to read a single page, looking up almost every word on the damn thing.

And when you read your first VN you spend more time looking at ITH than at the screen of the game, which was very irritating to me (reason why I read LNs until I could mostly just read the game screen in VNs).

Even when you're at that point it's still painfully slow. Like I'm maybe at a third of my reading speed in english/french. Mada made dame~

Well, I was a lot slower when I first started... it took me almost forty hours to clear Dies Irae and Devils Devel Concept the first time through.  Dies Irae was my fifth untranslated VN, Devils Devel Concept was the third... now I can finish Dies Irae in about thirty-one hours and Devils Devel Concept in about twenty-nine.  Reading speed does increase with experience, no matter the language... There has been no point in my life since I was four years old where I didn't spend at least three to four hours a day reading something for pleasure, even if it meant shaving away at sleep time.  It is all about practice, lol.

Edit: Might have been closer to fifty with Dies Irae...

Doesn't it also depends if you like the VN or not? As I never read the japanese novel (well, using auto-translation does not count, I suppose), but as english is not my native language, I can tell, that I would rather drop a VN if it doesn't hook me or would read slooooooow, means, I forget these scenes even that I read them and after 15 mins I catch myself on "what is going on?", go into log, reread, tell "oh boy" and close VN :)

lol... passion does increase reading speed, but it really only accelerates it a little bit.  In my case, it actually slows me down, as I'll frequently sit there and savor a really well-written line in a good VN for a few moments *Clephas is addicted to good writing*

Edit: Also... not being able to remember something you read fifteen minutes before is a fatal flaw in a reader.