Clephas' Untranslated Reading Club

Clephas

This is just a suggestion, for those who read untranslated... basically, every three months, I suggest a list of five VNs (each from a different genre or type) that those who read untranslated pick from.  These will all be VNs I've read before (I don't believe in suggesting VNs I haven't played before) and my recommendations will be based - after the first quarter - on what the members of the club think might be interesting. 

The first rule is that any genre that is picked can't be picked twice in a row... mostly because chuunige, moege, and gameplay-VNs all have their passionate followers who will vote their candidates in every time, lol. 

The second rule is that it has to be a VN from my vndb list.  I can't recommend something if I haven't played it, and I'll at least consider anything from that list.

Feel free to make a case for your favorite VN (untranslated).  If it looks interesting, I'll endeavor to add it to my random VNs, play it, then consider it for the list of candidates. 

Nukige and rapegames are out of the question.  This is simply a matter of practicality... because those aren't really fit for the average reader.

Try to keep reading levels within reasonable limits...  I won't suggest Dies Irae or Bradyon Veda unless there is a request, for instance, because their difficulty levels are too forbidding for the average reader.

For the purposes of this thread, nakige and 'normal' moege/charage will be considered to be separate genres.  Fantasy and sci-fi will not be considered to be separate genres... mostly because about sixty-percent of all non-nukige VNs have some kind of fantasy element in them.

If all the members of the club who are reading/playing finish the chosen VN early, we can start a new round early.

Double-listings (multiple VNs, for those who can't bring themselves to play certain genres) will be considered, if the group is large enough.

If you have suggestions, please feel free to post them now... my current list of candidates are

Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashi no (nakige)

Yurikago yori Tenshi Made (chuunige)

Tasogare no Sinsemilla (general VN/story-focused)

Harumade Kururu (mindfuck)

Ikusa Megami Zero (gameplay/rpg)

Edit: Aaah... incidentally, I won't be voting during any of these.  By putting these VNs up here I'm basically saying I'm perfectly happy replaying them or have played them recently enough to discuss them in detail, lol.  I'm interested to see which one gets chosen.

Ooh been waiting for something like this! So we have 3 months to read it. Sounds good to me because I still need to finish some VNs this month. (not that we are gonna start this immediately.) Gonna vote for Tasogare no Sinsemilla since I have been interested in it for a while.

At first I chose Kururu, and then...

He thought that he would just spend some peaceful days here, but that’s when one of the girls Shizuka declared that they will make this place his harem, and started stripping in front of him in his bewilderment.

Well, see you after 3 months~~

Sorry, I still did not get the purpose of the thread. So voters would coohse game, okay, so what then? You will post a walkthrough? Or will just reread by yourself and this is just encourage others to read same to be able to discuss with someone?

Sorry, I still did not get the purpose of the thread. So voters would coohse game, okay, so what then? You will post a walkthrough? Or will just reread by yourself and that's all?

This is kinda like the Translated VN club except all the VNs are in Japanese + some other things that are listed up there but I'm too lazy to write. Oh and yes, Clephas probably wants to discuss VNs with someone :P

Aside from megami zero that I've read. I am okay with any of the vn's. Mmm.

At first I chose Kururu, and then...

He thought that he would just spend some peaceful days here, but that’s when one of the girls Shizuka declared that they will make this place his harem, and started stripping in front of him in his bewilderment.

Well, see you after 3 months~~

It's just the first part of Kururu that's ololol Harem . After that it changes.

Yes! I was really hoping something like this would pop up, as there is no way in hell I could start it. I can't even organize my own desk, let alone a club.

I'm currently reading SubaHibi, but by the time this club actually starts I should be free to read whatever is chosen. Gonna vote for HaruKuru, as I really want to read that one. ^^

No love for Haruka ni Aogi, Uruwashino?

I'm not sure how that one's classifiable as a Nakigee though.

I would like to read it, but for some reason it doesn't grab my vote.

Fine with any of the above. Usually wouldn't want to play a similiar title soon after playing Gurenka, but sine the art is nice and its supernatural fantasy it's cool, Don't think most people would stick through IMZ, I'm still stalled halfway through.

Hmm...I do not believe my Japanese is quite capable of this yet nice to have though...the other club was going to do a month similar to this at some point but honestly i think this will work better. A seasonal untranslated vn club to run along side with the monthly is nice. I might even be able to participate eventually. I'm going to refrain from voting though since I do not trust my skill enough to try reading a full vn yet.

I think I could use this club as a part of my japanese learning experience, since 3 months should be enough to actually finish it, also props to clephas for not taking VNs that arent INSANELY hard to read.

But I dont know maybe I will join if  feel like I have the time to put into the "challenge"

Incidentally, all these VNs assume you can at least read the 2nd level of my beginner's list, though Ikusa Megami is a bit beyond that.  The three month period is a simple concession to: 1- time constraints of rl, 2- slower reading speeds in general, 3- difficulties with the language.  To be honest, the reading times some people describe for VNs in Japanese - a hundred or more hours for Hoshimemo, for instance - frequently baffle me...  However, I have to concede that my reading speed is abnormal.  With any of these VNs, save for IMZ, I can finish them in less than eighteen hours... and that's including food, shower, and bathroom breaks, lol. 

Incidentally, all these VNs assume you can at least read the 2nd level of my beginner's list, though Ikusa Megami is a bit beyond that.  The three month period is a simple concession to: 1- time constraints of rl, 2- slower reading speeds in general, 3- difficulties with the language.  To be honest, the reading times some people describe for VNs in Japanese - a hundred or more hours for Hoshimemo, for instance - frequently baffle me...  However, I have to concede that my reading speed is abnormal.  With any of these VNs, save for IMZ, I can finish them in less than eighteen hours... and that's including food, shower, and bathroom breaks, lol. 

well, lets just say that you have some experience  :makina: .

So the beginning of this VN IS indeed pretty much a nukige, eh...

Feat. a pretty creepy girl voiced by Sachi's VA and (obviously) a character voiced by Kawashima Rino. Nice desu ne.

Now to wade through all of that to get to the hard SF part...