Black Sands: Legends of Kemet [Mythology/Scifi] Major Update

2 minutes ago, Danko said:

Hey there. I've enjoyed reading your interview. Your project certainly seems on the more professional side among many other EVN projects. You have a very talented artist - it's very hard to do non-anime art in an appealing way, but you succeeded at it. Would be looking forward for your game, and I hope that the writing and story will be as good as the art!

thanks a lot. We will be adding footnotes since we will be using a lot of language that may be very foreign to readers. Hopefully, that will help with immersion.

• 2 weeks later...

Chronicles of the Sands

Apedemak when he first encountered the Medjai in Northern Sudan

I see great people here in the deserts of Kush. These people are not like the others scattered across the Nile. They are elites, warriors, and spriritual beyond measure. There is an aura in these lands that exudes terror. Animals are scarce to travel here. Yet, these warriors do not leave. They refuse to give up their lands. I have learned from the locals that demons constantly attack their homes. They seem to be drawn from lands much further then that of Kemet. I don't know what it is but I have seen their prowess myself. When the last creature was killed, they displayed its body in their halls. The serpent like jade beast look horrifying but not one citizen of the sands beats an eyelash when they cross it. Its as if it is a normal occurence no different from killing any other game out there.

These people fascinate me. When I become the King of Kush, I shall call upon them the days when we push into the heart of darkness in Greece. These people are hardened to the core. Medjai...Demon Killers...Warriors...Gods...

apedemak%20tshirt%20white_zpsia8iymt8.pn

4 hours ago, Black Sands Entertainment said:

Chronicles of the Sands

Apedemak when he first encountered the Medjai in Northern Sudan

I see great people here in the deserts of Kush. These people are not like the others scattered across the Nile. They are elites, warriors, and spriritual beyond measure. There is an aura in these lands that exudes terror. Animals are scarce to travel here. Yet, these warriors do not leave. They refuse to give up their lands. I have learned from the locals that demons constantly attack their homes. They seem to be drawn from lands much further then that of Kemet. I don't know what it is but I have seen their prowess myself. When the last creature was killed, they displayed its body in their halls. The serpent like jade beast look horrifying but not one citizen of the sands beats an eyelash when they cross it. Its as if it is a normal occurence no different from killing any other game out there.

These people fascinate me. When I become the King of Kush, I shall call upon them the days when we push into the heart of darkness in Greece. These people are hardened to the core. Medjai...Demon Killers...Warriors...Gods...

apedemak%20tshirt%20white_zpsia8iymt8.pn

That picture is pretty amazing

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Arcadeotic said:

Ayy, I love this kind of shit

Love the rigidness and pure menaciveness this design exudes

indeed. The first ancient we come across is rather terrifying, especially the fact that while it is quite large, quick, and powerful, its real devastating factor is anything it touches gets its soul slowly ripped away. 

Talk about complicated to deal with

e1d7c5a3-3ca5-4371-881b-f371d871ee5f_zps

Coeus, The Fallen Prince

– The long lost Titan Coeus, once known for his intellect and reason was cursed for delving too deeply into the forbidden arts of the ancient bloodlines. Because of his lack of the necessary precautions used by Nun’s people, Coeus was overtaken by a spirit known as the Devourer. When he acquired the curse, he did not tell anyone. Over time, his mind slipped due to the hunger of the curse. It needed souls. One day he lost control and killed an Anunnaki, draining it of its essence. Marduk was outraged and Kronus investigated the situation. When Coeus lacked reason and attacked the others, Kronus knew something was wrong. He seeked the council of Nun and Nun decided Coeus should be destroyed. Kronus, pitying his son, decided to instead imprison him. Marduk did not like his decision but agreed when Kronus allowed the Anunnaki to build the facility to guarantee he would never escape. Nun never knew he was kept alive, locked underground and chained for 1500 years. But now that the rift is unstabilized, the quakes have broken the chains on the prince. He is still imprisoned but how long could the facility last without the beast restrained?

6 minutes ago, Black Sands Entertainment said:

Coeus, The Fallen Prince

– The long lost Titan Coeus, once known for his intellect and reason was cursed for delving too deeply into the forbidden arts of the ancient bloodlines. Because of his lack of the necessary precautions used by Nun’s people, Coeus was overtaken by a spirit known as the Devourer. When he acquired the curse, he did not tell anyone. Over time, his mind slipped due to the hunger of the curse. It needed souls. One day he lost control and killed an Anunnaki, draining it of its essence. Marduk was outraged and Kronus investigated the situation. When Coeus lacked reason and attacked the others, Kronus knew something was wrong. He seeked the council of Nun and Nun decided Coeus should be destroyed. Kronus, pitying his son, decided to instead imprison him. Marduk did not like his decision but agreed when Kronus allowed the Anunnaki to build the facility to guarantee he would never escape. Nun never knew he was kept alive, locked underground and chained for 1500 years. But now that the rift is unstabilized, the quakes have broken the chains on the prince. He is still imprisoned but how long could the facility last without the beast restrained?

That looks top-tier

I'm saving that

Also, nice backstory

4 minutes ago, Black Sands Entertainment said:

Coeus, The Fallen Prince

This is so cool!

Well done guys, this is seriously just amazing!

I was looking forward to hearing a bit more about what you were going to be using Coeus for, and this sounds great.

1 minute ago, Dergonu said:

This is so cool!

Well done guys, this is seriously just amazing!

I was looking forward to hearing a bit more about what you were going to be using Coes for, and this sounds great.

drag people to this thread. We need more people following this. These updates are getting serious mayne

5714ed52-a8a5-4f97-bb21-15ede508053c_zps

Japetus, The Piercer

– He was the last child of Gaia before her death. She knew not her son because he was still in his incubation pod when she set off to seek Nun. Kronus had suspicions when Gaia went missing and decided to not release Jepatus until he knew the ware bouts of mother. The Incubation pod was a barrier protecting the host from contamination. Kronus knew that if he ever needed to get back into the Rift, only one that has never been soiled would be allowed to enter. When Rhea’s secret was revealed to Kronus, he told Japetus, who was still trapped in his pod. Kronus then sent him on his way to the rift to find out what happened to his mother and claim his freedom.

35 minutes ago, Black Sands Entertainment said:

5714ed52-a8a5-4f97-bb21-15ede508053c_zps

Japetus, The Piercer

– He was the last child of Gaia before her death. She knew not her son because he was still in his incubation pod when she set off to seek Nun. Kronus had suspicions when Gaia went missing and decided to not release Jepatus until he knew the ware bouts of mother. The Incubation pod was a barrier protecting the host from contamination. Kronus knew that if he ever needed to get back into the Rift, only one that has never been soiled would be allowed to enter. When Rhea’s secret was revealed to Kronus, he told Japetus, who was still trapped in his pod. Kronus then sent him on his way to the rift to find out what happened to his mother and claim his freedom.

Another great design

I like how the concepts of storm and clouds were incorporated here

The 'armor' and hands nicely incorporate the elements similiar to Nun and Coeus, while the eyes and core bring nice sence of grace and a theme of lightning to the mix

Edited by Arcadeotic

34 minutes ago, Arcadeotic said:

Another great design

I like how the concepts of storm and clouds were incorporated here

The 'armor' and hands nicely incorporate the elements similiar to Nun and Coeus, while the eyes and core bring nice sence of grace and a theme of lightning to the mix

Yeah his armor and arms are actually his own manifestations. They form and unform based on his will. The only thing that is permanent is the core and the cage around it.

Producer's notes: This new addition is  to explain the questing mechanics in Black Sands. While it is a visual novel, there will be a lot of team management involved and you will have to solve mysteries and defeat enemies with your mental skills above all else. Are you a competent leader?

QUEST MECHANICS

SCOUTING – Scouting will consist of Base stats checks. Check will be made by the system which is specific to the area you wish to scout. Examples include…

Having high enough wisdom to read ancient writings, letting you know of a secret passage.

Having enough strength and agility to climb a cliff side.

The danger in scouting is minimal however scouting takes time. Most of the time, it is best to send one person out per mission but occasionally, you may decide to bring a couple. Checks are usually solo checks so if one is incapable of passing it but another is, then it is a success regardless.

INVESTIGATION – These quests are somewhat dangerous and can fail if you lose the element of surprise. Investigations tend to be for smaller groups, if not solo, and they can lead to valuable information regarding important locations or characters. Examples include…

Examing the corpse of an ancient Anunnaki.

Trying to find a Devic artifact.

Your awareness is the most critical factor when it comes to investigations so keeping your awareness at peak performance is critical. Things that can lower your focus is triggering a trap, fighting, etc. Sure, you may be able to survive such things but you then become paranoid and miss things you might have previously not.

TRACKING – Tracking missions are extremely difficult. They offer amazing rewards and events but also have extreme skill checks and timed decisions. Tracking missions are also limited response missions. It can only be attempted once before the mission is gone. Examples include..

Something has been indiscriminately killing everything that comes across its path.

These tracks are not of this world.

These missions will test your mettle at on the spot decision making. Only the best trackers will unlock all the potential rewards from capturing or slaying the most elusive in the Rift.

EXPLORATION – Sometimes curiosity gets the better of you. Sometimes you don’t have time to play it safe. Either way, you have no idea what to expect. Explorations are dangerous because everything is unknown. You may unlock new quests or run into an enemy you can’t defeat. Examples include…

An ancient facility that is opened due to an earthquake but lava is going to consume it in 3 days.

I saw something in the distance with a metallic reflection. We should check it out.

These missions are fun and can leave the heart pounding. Make sure you have your supplies incase the ish hits the fan.

CASUAL – These are relaxing events where you get a lot of choices to effect the relationship you have with the others. Whether its training, swimming, or enjoying one of the only sunny days you get in the Rift. Every day is special.

Main Story – These quests are long and can have multiple parts. It is best to do anything related to the quest prior to it to have the maximum chance of defeating it.

1 hour ago, Black Sands Entertainment said:
Producer's notes: This new addition is  to explain the questing mechanics in Black Sands. While it is a visual novel, there will be a lot of team management involved and you will have to solve mysteries and defeat enemies with your mental skills above all else. Are you a competent leader?

QUEST MECHANICS

SCOUTING – Scouting will consist of Base stats checks. Check will be made by the system which is specific to the area you wish to scout. Examples include…

• Having high enough wisdom to read ancient writings, letting you know of a secret passage.
  • Having enough strength and agility to climb a cliff side.
The danger in scouting is minimal however scouting takes time. Most of the time, it is best to send one person out per mission but occasionally, you may decide to bring a couple. Checks are usually solo checks so if one is incapable of passing it but another is, then it is a success regardless.

INVESTIGATION – These quests are somewhat dangerous and can fail if you lose the element of surprise. Investigations tend to be for smaller groups, if not solo, and they can lead to valuable information regarding important locations or characters. Examples include…

• Examing the corpse of an ancient Anunnaki.
  • Trying to find a Devic artifact.
Your awareness is the most critical factor when it comes to investigations so keeping your awareness at peak performance is critical. Things that can lower your focus is triggering a trap, fighting, etc. Sure, you may be able to survive such things but you then become paranoid and miss things you might have previously not.

TRACKING – Tracking missions are extremely difficult. They offer amazing rewards and events but also have extreme skill checks and timed decisions. Tracking missions are also limited response missions. It can only be attempted once before the mission is gone. Examples include..

• Something has been indiscriminately killing everything that comes across its path.
  • These tracks are not of this world.
These missions will test your mettle at on the spot decision making. Only the best trackers will unlock all the potential rewards from capturing or slaying the most elusive in the Rift.

EXPLORATION – Sometimes curiosity gets the better of you. Sometimes you don’t have time to play it safe. Either way, you have no idea what to expect. Explorations are dangerous because everything is unknown. You may unlock new quests or run into an enemy you can’t defeat. Examples include…

• An ancient facility that is opened due to an earthquake but lava is going to consume it in 3 days.
  • I saw something in the distance with a metallic reflection. We should check it out.
These missions are fun and can leave the heart pounding. Make sure you have your supplies incase the ish hits the fan.

CASUAL – These are relaxing events where you get a lot of choices to effect the relationship you have with the others. Whether its training, swimming, or enjoying one of the only sunny days you get in the Rift. Every day is special.

Main Story – These quests are long and can have multiple parts. It is best to do anything related to the quest prior to it to have the maximum chance of defeating it.

Seems like some interesting mechanics

Reminds me of Darkest Dungeon with it mini-management in the dungeons

I very much loved it

You probaböy should remove the formatting on these posts, it doesn't look exactly nice

2 minutes ago, Fred the Barber said:

I also really like the art design.

Arcade is right about the text formatting, though - I'm on the dark theme, so the text looks really weird.

perhaps that fixed it.

BTW, we will make a stand alone investigation mission to promote the gameplay you may expect.