Manga Recommendation Thread

Hey guys, as some of you know, I'm heading off for a few weeks to do some ecology research. I'll be bringing my materials for class, Japanese study materials, and a tablet with Tsukihime on it ; ). On that tablet, though, is the MangaWatcher app with two amazing mangas on it: Love Hina (my favorite), and TWGOK (I really enjoyed the anime).

What favorite manga would you suggest for me/friends/strangers to read? What are you reading and loving? I hope to download and read some suggestions, but this thread can be for much more than that :). I'm looking forward to seeing what we're all reading and enjoying!

One-Punch Man is definitely a fantastic read for the action and humor.

lopm_017_011-012.jpg?v=11353288421

Yotsubato! is a great one that successfully chronicles what it is like to be a child. Cute and funny.

tumblr_mk6eb51oTU1s91lr1o1_1280.jpg

I've also enjoyed reading Toriko, which has been growing in popularity in recent years. It's a magnificent and well-imagined world, so much so that you almost wish you could take a vacation there for a day. Plus, tons of great action.

toriko-574565.jpg

As for a manga that I have just finished reading, Pajama na Kanojo is an okay manga, although it has a short run and some characters aren't developed as fully as one would like. But I enjoyed it.

pajama-na-kanojo-3288993.jpg

Finally, a manga that I've been following for a while: Nisekoi. It has a pretty interesting plot that is developed well among several characters, and you find yourself cheering for each girl at different points of the manga.

Nisekoi.full.1289742.jpg

I hope that helps!

Don't read much manga, but try these:

Beelzebub

Mahou Sensei Negima(MUCH better than the animu counterparts. Anime doesn't do this series justice in the least, also, be warned, first 50-60 chapters can be a pain to read through, though it starts getting fantastic soon after.)

Psyren

Liar Game

20th Century Boys(Hands down one of the best manga I've read.)

Pluto(Same dude as 20th)

Monster(Again, same author as Pluto and 20th. Has an anime as well, which is supposed to be great.)

Billy Bat(Guess which author it is :P)

Silver Spoon

Kimi no Iru Machi

What favorite manga would you suggest for me/friends/strangers to read? What are you reading and loving? I hope to download and read some suggestions, but this thread can be for much more than that :)/>/>. I'm looking forward to seeing what we're all reading and enjoying!

Yeah, I think the suggestions depend on whom you'll suggest Manga to.

1. If it's Tay-chan and the ones who are familiar with Mangas: I'll suggest Watashi no Messiah-sama, written by Minazuki Suu. You guys probably knew the famous Sora no Otoshimono (eh eh I claim Hiyori-chan my waifu, so don't you dare...). Watashi no Messiah-sama is Suu-sensei's first work, i assume. The plot isn't something new, but Suu-sensei really did a good job in bringing his characters to life. The first chapters are just normal, but the storyline gets more and more interesting as I proceed. Then there's the ending. I'm not going to spoil here, but let's just say the ending is inevitable, tragedic and happy at the same time. It left me thinking for a couple of days.

2. If they're the ones who are new to Mangas: Definitely Doraemon. It is this manga that brought me to the amazing Japanese culture.

Here are a few I can recommend, i'll try to keep it to a few:

Dark Seinen/Fantasy:

-Berserk

-Mugen no Juunin

Both of those are really amazing. Probably among the best seinen you will find out there.

Not that dark/fantasy but a great seinen is also xxxHolic.

Slice of Life/Realistic:

-Oyasumi Punpun and basically anything by Inio Asano, that guy is awesome

-Yotsuba&

-Aria

Science-fiction:

-Planetes (though the anime is better imo)

-Gunnm and Gunnm Last Order

Comedy:

-Gintama

-Noritaka

Classics:

-Nausicaa

-Akira

Sport/sport-like

-Slam Dunk

-Hajime no Ippo

-Hikaru no Go

I could go on and on and I haven't even read that much manga... Hell, there's like 10 times more amazing mangas out there to read than there's amazing anime, and I think you already glimpsed how much amazing anime you had to discover =p

I'll second Mahou Sensei Negima. The whole thing is good, including the early chapters. You get a mix of great action scenes and harem hijinks. It just morphs a little during the course of the manga. And the artwork is very detailed. In fact, at the end of each volume he shows you how some of the manga backgrounds were made with CG. All the Latin and Greek incantations are cool too.

And I'll second Aria (starts out as Aqua). Again phenomenal artwork. This is a tranquil, soothing manga. The world setting is fleshed out well. And I actually learned a number of things about Italy too.

Finally, I'll mention Nagasarete Airantou. The one where the guy washes up on the remote island populated exclusively by girls, all living the traditional Japanese way (no modern conveniences). This one is just for fun. And great art in this one too.

Finally, I'll mention Nagasarete Airantou. The one where the guy washes up on the remote island populated exclusively by girls, all living the traditional Japanese way (no modern conveniences). This one is just for fun. And great art in this one too.

Is the manga longer than the anime? If that's the case I'll pick it up.

It sure is. They run pretty much side-by-side at the beginning (except that a few stories were omitted swapped and/or shortened for the anime), but after the first 6? 7? can't remember for sure volumes the anime has stopped, but the manga keeps going and there are a couple more new characters.

It sure is. They run pretty much side-by-side at the beginning (except that a few stories were omitted swapped and/or shortened for the anime), but after the first 6? 7? can't remember for sure volumes the anime has stopped, but the manga keeps going and there are a couple more new characters.

Oh thanks.

And btw, I was actually wondering where you went and then I see you post :o

there are some Manga that are an absolute MUST read.

#1 must read is Monster. It is so amazing. Here is the DOWNLOAD LINK!!

#2 is Hellsing. Really great art and story that will keep you riveted. Here is the DOWNLOAD LINK!!

#3 is Elfen Lied AMAZING here is the DOWNLOAD LINK!!

#4 is Slam Dunk Comedy/Drama/sports=amazing. Here is the DOWNLOAD LINK!!

Let me know if you want more Tay or need a different genre. I can suggest a bunch for you!!

EDIT: Wow cant believe I forgot Berserk!! Its probably in my top 5 all time. Here is the DOWNLOAD LINK!!

The Higurashi series is awesome if you're into mystery and horror.

If you're into controversial stuff: Kodomo no Jikan. At first it seems more comedy-focused, but as the series goes on, it becomes an amazing story about human emotions and relationships. I have to warn you though, there is a lot of loli, and some scenes that would be considered politically incorrect in Englush-speaking countries, so be aware.

• 2 weeks later...

My recommended manga!!

• Slice of life: Barakamon
  • Comedy: Fujimura-kun mates, D-Frag!! (must read all chapter in one go, or it will be boring)
  • Sci-fi: Zennou no Noa
  • Romance: Last Game (I do read a lot of shoujo manga, but i don't like shounen ai or yaoi genre)

Others:

Rising x Rydeen

Ouroboros

Gantz

Karate Shoukushi Kohinata Minoru

Akame ga Kill

Shokugeki no Soma