Most immersive type of medium?

heavenlysf

Forgive me if there was already a thread like this and my english.

As the topic states, what type of medium makes you hook/attach/immerse in the most(doesn't have to be otaku-related)?

(manga,anime,literature,light novel,visual novel,movie,TV series, etc.)

A medium that you can read/watch all day/week without realizing the sun has rise/set and you may probably think about it all the time while you do something else.

Good anime can waste a day for me if I get hooked all the way, the Music, the hype for what happens next, if it's really good, I usually watch it the whole day without realizing how fast time has gone by. Manga can work too, but it is pretty hard to keep focused on reading something for that long, I mean like 10-14 hours of none stop besides bathroom and food and etc, so unless its something I really like, I can't really stay fully immersed for that long 

Anime and VNs. While I don't listen to music much on it's own. Music and audio is really important to me when I want to experience a story. I don't really read much manga (I honestly don't find the medium that immersive), and books are only interesting to me on an intellectual level. I really wish I could enjoy manga and books more, since it's weird being an Otaku who doesn't read much manga.

For me VNs and anime accomplish a feeling of not existing and only focusing on the story. It's kind of weird, but it's almost spiritual in some way. When I'm reading a good VN or watching a good anime, it's like I no longer exist and am one with the story. I just don't get that same feeling with manga and books. 

Nothing, I don't ever really get immersed, and I've never felt part of a world.  If you were to drag it from me tooth and nail, the only thing I've ever felt immersed in was Runescape because I had friends there.

Manga I can stream together and sometimes mistake it as if I could swear it was anime.

Anime is anime.

Books I string together as just a bunch of objects with classes and elements to them to figure out what's going to happen next and the intricacies of the plot.

VNs are pretty much the same as books, but they rob me of my freedom to imagine what the character actually looks like.

Games are even worse into being just something to look at on a screen.  A puzzle for me to ultimately crush.

No, I've never been immersed in anything before, and I've never felt like part of the world.  Anyone who can do such a feat has my envy and ire.

Nothing, I don't ever really get immersed, and I've never felt part of a world.  If you were to drag it from me tooth and nail, the only thing I've ever felt immersed in was Runescape because I had friends there.

Manga I can stream together and sometimes mistake it as if I could swear it was anime.

Anime is anime.

Books I string together as just a bunch of objects with classes and elements to them to figure out what's going to happen next and the intricacies of the plot.

VNs are pretty much the same as books, but they rob me of my freedom to imagine what the character actually looks like.

Games are even worse into being just something to look at on a screen.  A puzzle for me to ultimately crush.

No, I've never been immersed in anything before, and I've never felt like part of the world.  Anyone who can do such a feat has my envy and ire.

Man, that's sad... :(

I feel like OP meant "engrossed" or "invested in", I also don't self insert myself consciously in anything I read, but I do find myself attached to certain stories and/or characters.

For example, Key visual novels are mostly based on self insertion, and if you finish the novel caring for any of the heroines, that means the game did its "self insertion" job well enough that you didn't really notice you were doing it subconsciously.

"Self insertion" or "Immersion" is not exclusively "Imagining yourself in the stead of the characters" or "Imagining you're part of the world", just being engrossed or finding yourself taking an interest in how the story and characters develop is in itself a form of "immersion", at least for me.

And to make sure I'm not just spewding BS, I made sure to look up "immersion" in the dictionary:

Immersion (ɪˈməːʃ(ə)n/) (noun)

Deep mental involvement in something.

So really, just by finding yourself invested in reading a story, you're theoretically immersed.

I think what OP was asking was "Which medium do you really find yourself spending the most time on and take most enjoyment out of".

Visual novels all the way for me. Since they're often very long, VNs have the most potential for great character interactions; you can see characters interacting about casual, mundane stuff (which wouldn't work as effectively in other mediums like books and anime, and definitely not for manga), and it wouldn't feel unnatural or tedious to read, if done right. For me, it just feels like I can live in the VN world, actually looking through the eyes of the protagonist (unlike with anime, where I get a third-person POV of everything). 

Music and visual novels takes the shared 1 spot for me. Next is anime and movies.

Music has always been the thing I can "hide" myself in I can feel it with every inch of my body if I love its like my body cant resist moving to the rhythm or just because of the sheer awesomeness of it, it makes me imagine worlds and make up stories on the spot.

Visual Novels on the other hand creates a world that I can loose myself in and the best makes me forget anything else and just focus on the universe.

Oh yeah also bioshock: infinite was making me wish that the game would never end.

The reason VR sets give you headaches is because they do not mimic depth very well, it's literally like shoving a screen with only 2 dimensions a few inches across from your eyes which does not equal immersion in any way, it doesn't trick any of your senses, not even sight, that's why it ends up being annoying after a couple hours. Motion sickness is just an added bonus, although this can be worked on more easily by properly adjusting the field of view and other settings.

This is why i'm really excited for the holo lens, because it doesn't project an image in front of your eyes, it projects it on the environment around you and actually utilizes depth.

Now they just need to make catgirl simulator for it and i'll forget the sun exists.

Imo, for true virtual reality to occur, we would need to basically probe our brains.

The reason VR sets give you headaches is because they do not mimic depth very well, it's literally like shoving a screen with only 2 dimensions a few inches across from your eyes which does not equal immersion in any way, it doesn't trick any of your senses, not even sight, that's why it ends up being annoying after a couple hours. Motion sickness is just an added bonus, although this can be worked on more easily by properly adjusting the field of view and other settings.

This is why i'm really excited for the holo lens, because it doesn't project an image in front of your eyes, it projects it on the environment around you and actually utilizes depth.

Now they just need to make catgirl simulator for it and i'll forget the sun exists.

Imo, for true virtual reality to occur, we would need to basically probe our brains.

You do realize that one eye'd people also don't have any depth perception?   Shoving a two dimensional screen in front of the eye is theoretically in fact all that is required to trick the eyes.  It's just the technology isn't developed enough to be able to do it properly with the way our brains parallax.  The reason why one eye'd people can actually see things in 3d is because they are constantly moving their one eye, and our brain is smart enough to create a faux parallax effect with the moment to moment differences in what the eye actually sees.  This is something VR is incapable of tracking at the moment and is the major cause of the vision disimmersionment.

Really, the biggest issue is the fact that we can't trick our other senses.  If we were able to simulate the forces onto our body's, our brain would in fact override our sight to some extent to correct what it is seeing, removing the motion sickness and creating a far more immersive piece of technology.  In this case, as Doctor Walter Bishop from Fringe would say, "Reality is just a matter of perception" is actually far more true than we often give it credit for.

You do realize that one eye'd people also don't have any depth perception?   Shoving a two dimensional screen in front of the eye is theoretically in fact all that is required to trick the eyes.  It's just the technology isn't developed enough to be able to do it properly with the way our brains parallax.  The reason why one eye'd people can actually see things in 3d is because they are constantly moving their one eye, and our brain is smart enough to create a faux parallax effect with the moment to moment differences in what the eye actually sees.  This is something VR is incapable of tracking at the moment and is the major cause of the vision disimmersionment.

Isn't that what I just said? :P

>VR sets do not mimic depth very well which causes headaches.

That was my argument, which you just corroborated by going into technical aspects of how eyes can mimic depth and VR devices don't.

I didn't say anything about people with one eye having headaches, and you also just explained why they don't, and why once again VR sets can't do the same yet.

I remember seeing a post somewhere about how VRs could improve severely if they had proper eye tracking systems, I wonder how true that is.

Isn't that what I just said? :P

>VR sets do not mimic depth very well which causes headaches.

That was my argument, which you just corroborated by going into technical aspects of how eyes can mimic depth and VR devices don't.

I didn't say anything about people with one eye having headaches, and you also just explained why they don't, and why once again VR sets can't do the same yet.

I remember seeing a post somewhere about how VRs could improve severely if they had proper eye tracking systems, I wonder how true that is.

The reason VR sets give you headaches is because they do not mimic depth very well, it's literally like shoving a screen with only 2 dimensions a few inches across from your eyes which does not equal immersion in any way, it doesn't trick any of your senses, not even sight, that's why it ends up being annoying after a couple hours.

This series of statements carries the implication that you believed that a two dimensional screen isn't enough to trick the eye even though it clearly is.

Oh well~

• 4 weeks later...