VN Reading Club - November (Ayakashibito)

Kaguya

Everyone seems to be far into the VN, eh... Maybe I have a life after all, lol. I should sell it on ebay.

That being said I'm really pleasantly surprised by this game. I didn't expect to like it this much but so far it really clicks with me. I can't wait to see more badass fights!

Idk, I personally rate the routes Suzu>Kaoru>Touko>Tonya. A lot of the fighting in Tonya's route, and especially the climactic scene, felt kinda... weak, comparatively. I mean, not bad. Just not weee awesome. Touko is... better, and Kaoru is the clear winner of non-suzu for me due to how the action played out. Meh, it's been a while.

(Touko route spoilers)

Shuugen's fight with Hounan was too good. Shuugen made that route so much. Shuugen. I was nearly crying by the end when he's disappearing and bloody and everything ahhh... Although he doesn't show up for half the route for obvious reasons...

Not only his fight, but his love, his sacrifice, his willpower, everything he showed was exceptional and he's the one who certainly gets the merits for this route. I think if it wasn't for him, her route would surely be the most disappointing one in the whole novel.

This Club might actually get me to read Suzu's route. Hopefully I can finish it before the 21st! Having people to discuss things with is fun...

Not only his fight, but his love, his sacrifice, his willpower, everything he showed was exceptional and he's the one who certainly gets the merits for this route. I think if it wasn't for him, her route would surely be the most disappointing one in the whole novel.

He just kept getting up again and again and again.... For Touko. :') He wanted nothing more than his sister to be happy... And he actually walks the walk. Both Shuugen and Shoushichi getting so giddy because

this guy's my friend! was super cute, too. My love for Shuugen is as boundless as the ocean! Although I was also fond of Hounan's takeover of Shoushichi and the slow corruption of him and Kuki actually showing that he could be a decent guy.

This Club might actually get me to read Suzu's route. Hopefully I can finish it before the 21st! Having people to discuss things with is fun...

He just kept getting up again and again and again.... For Touko. :') He wanted nothing more than his sister to be happy... And he actually walks the walk. Both Shuugen and Shoushichi getting so giddy because

this guy's my friend! was super cute, too. My love for Shuugen is as boundless as the ocean! Although I was also fond of Hounan's takeover of Shoushichi and the slow corruption of him and Kuki actually showing that he could be a decent guy.

I'll chime in with my basic impressions, since I already read this and it's still pretty fresh in mind.  I quite liked Ayakashibito, it definitely ranks in my favorite 5 novels, though I'm not sure where it falls exactly in that list.

My favorite heroine is Suzu, but my favorite route was probably Kaoru's, since

that's the one where Reina lives and finds love.

The Good:

- Believable characters and motivations, enemies have some depth and their own rationales

- Each of the routes seem like they could actually stem from the choices made, admittedly via a bit of butterfly effect at times

- PoV changes offer great backstory to side characters

- Great worldbuilding, revealing details naturally as the novel progresses. There are a couple of "infodump" sections, but that's fine, as long as not all the exposition is toploaded at the beginning.

The Bad:
Just a couple of bad H-scenes -- that's more or less my only complaint.  In general, there seem to be a bunch of less-than-necessary H-scenes, but I only really care about the completely ridiculous ones that break immersion with the story.  Specifically, I think it would be better without:

1. Suzu "how do i pee" scene

2. Kaoru sex in the middle of raiding the enemy base

Yeah, that's pretty much my opinion on it as well.

One thing I don't like is how underutilized Katou Kotarou is.

He's the Chuck Norris of visual novels and can (and does) wipe the floor with every character in the game (Kuki? No match. Total faceroll victory) with a hand in his pocket without sustaining any injuries himself.

He's very conventiently written out of most routes when shit gets serious.

I'm glad I went through Kaoru's route after all the others (excluding the true route), otherwise I'd have a hard time taking any of their struggles seriously when Kotarou could so easily solve all the world's problems with his fists.

One thing I don't like is how underutilized Katou Kotarou is.

He's the Chuck Norris of visual novels and can (and does) wipe the floor with every character in the game (Kuki? No match. Total faceroll victory) with a hand in his pocket without sustaining any injuries himself.

He's very conventiently written out of most routes when shit gets serious.

I'm glad I went through Kaoru's route after all the others (excluding the true route), otherwise I'd have a hard time taking any of their struggles seriously when Kotarou could so easily solve all the world's problems with his fists.

Yeah, aside from when he was out of the town, it's hard to accept that things went badly while he could have just solved things by himself. But we can't say with 100% certainty that he would win against the true Kuki, the one who actually used Kuki-ryu. He was being defeated until he noticed that Kuki was just following his moves with his eyes, instead of actually feeling with every sense like Soushichi, allowing him to use his Silver Wolf. I think we could have a good fight if they both fought in their best states. Also, if Soushichi wasn't there during their fight, Kotarou would probably have lost when he hit the fence.

I'm currently in the midst of replaying Ayakashibito in Japanese (tbh, this is my third play), only just getting onto Tonya's route (intend to skip Touka's route because it is my least favorite and perhaps the most straightforward of them).  I had to get the VN of the Month thing over with before I played this, lol.  I will make a few remarks about things I noticed on my second playthrough that...

Regardless of the path, I love Kuki Youkou (he's even more godly in the fandisc, incidentally); Suzu's path so obviously eclipses the other paths, even upon replay and taking my kitsune fetish out of the equation, that there is no real comparison; and Kaoru's path is greatly hated for reasons that have little to do with the path itself

(aka: Kaoru is not a virgin, Kaoru betrayed Soushichi, etc.)

Suzu serves a role that appears in several VNs I've read in the past, of the girl whose heart is so close to the protagonist that she doesn't even leave his side when he chooses someone else.  It probably isn't a coincidence that all of those had true ends and were overall awesome games as a whole (Comyu's Kagome being one of those). 

That said, one thing I absolutely adore about Propeller's four great games (or the プロペラ四天王 as I like to call them) is that all of them have paths that basically transcend their heroines, regardless of heroine quality.  Yes, I love the characters in Propeller games... but the path quality in Ayakashibito, Bullet Butlers, Evolimit, and Tokyo Babel inevitably surpasses that of the heroines they are based around.  That isn't to say the heroines are poor quality (though there is usually at least one heroine I hate or am unenthusiastic about in each... like the elf in Bullet Butlers and Touka in this one)... it is simply that their paths are so good, heroine quality's relevance is a lot less than you'd expect, lol. 

I'm currently in the midst of replaying Ayakashibito in Japanese (tbh, this is my third play), only just getting onto Tonya's route (intend to skip Touka's route because it is my least favorite and perhaps the most straightforward of them).  I had to get the VN of the Month thing over with before I played this, lol.  I will make a few remarks about things I noticed on my second playthrough that...

Regardless of the path, I love Kuki Youkou (he's even more godly in the fandisc, incidentally); Suzu's path so obviously eclipses the other paths, even upon replay and taking my kitsune fetish out of the equation, that there is no real comparison; and Kaoru's path is greatly hated for reasons that have little to do with the path itself

(aka: Kaoru is not a virgin, Kaoru betrayed Soushichi, etc.)

Suzu serves a role that appears in several VNs I've read in the past, of the girl whose heart is so close to the protagonist that she doesn't even leave his side when he chooses someone else.  It probably isn't a coincidence that all of those had true ends and were overall awesome games as a whole (Comyu's Kagome being one of those). 

That said, one thing I absolutely adore about Propeller's four great games (or the プロペラ四天王 as I like to call them) is that all of them have paths that basically transcend their heroines, regardless of heroine quality.  Yes, I love the characters in Propeller games... but the path quality in Ayakashibito, Bullet Butlers, Evolimit, and Tokyo Babel inevitably surpasses that of the heroines they are based around.  That isn't to say the heroines are poor quality (though there is usually at least one heroine I hate or am unenthusiastic about in each... like the elf in Bullet Butlers and Touka in this one)... it is simply that their paths are so good, heroine quality's relevance is a lot less than you'd expect, lol. 

Kaoru's path is good, Kaoru herself sucks. Not because of those reasons, I just have some fundamental issues with her (and touko's) personality. 

Aside from Suzu, I do think all heroines are indeed lackluster. But that's fine. You don't read Ayakashibito for it's heroines, you read it for the story... Which is great, to me~

I wasn't able to.

That took 5 hours of my sleeping time again.

Damn you Ayakashibito. 

I just can't stop reading.

I'm going to start with Kaoru's route tonight or tomorrow. I need some rest. I've been sleeping in school.

I knew it hehehe

About Suzu route:

Dammit Suzu's tail is gone!! Are you telling me her h-scene will be without a tail! This is maddening, I know she had it out in the threesome but, one on one is different!!

I didn't rank this novel too highly on the initial voting but now I'm glad it won.  I'm really enjoying Ayakashibito.  It's just a lot of fun and the routes are so different from one another.  Two heroines down (Touko and Tonya), two to go with Kaoru next.

EDIT: Spoiler about Ichina:

Ichina gets it hard. She has died 3/3 times so far. I'm not completely sure on what she did but Kuki not a person to piss off.

I didn't rank this novel too highly on the initial voting but now I'm glad it won.  I'm really enjoying Ayakashibito.  It's just a lot of fun and the routes are so different from one another.  Two heroines down (Touko and Tonya), two to go with Kaoru next.

EDIT: Spoiler about Ichina:

Ichina gets it hard. She has died 3/3 times so far. I'm not completely sure on what she did but Kuki not a person to piss off.

Whew! Today I finished the last route of the game....that route was literally epic! 

Now that I finished the game i can say that this novel is one of the most awesome that I've ever read!

I like almost all the characters of the story and I love the fact that all of them (even the ones who seems the most useless) have their momento to shine and also I really like the story and I found all the routes very enjoyable (even if I most admit that the last one was the perfection having the best heroine of the story)! 

PS:I need more Kuki Badass Sensei!XD 

PS2:spoiler about Ichina in the last route

Fun fact about Ichina is that she died in all the routes of the game ! And that the her death in the last route was not by Kuki but by a "flying crybaby"!XD