Zero Escape 3: Zero Time Dilemma Hype & News Thread

Funyarinpa

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

VLR was made after 999 was a surprise hit in the West. It bombed in Japan, its localization was a risk.

ZE3 was made thanks to Operation Bluebird and the Western outcry since the "indefinite hiatus" announcement from Feb 2014. VLR was tailored more for the Japanese audience but bombed even harder there. 

There's literally no way ZE3 isn't coming to the West.

DR1 and DR2 sold like 200K total combined in the west, and that is a huge success. Don't know about AE, since it's a pretty new release, but the first two were a great success so it's more than likely that we're getting DR3 in English.

Dunno who vibed where. 999 was much more solid than VLR, because it was smaller (and gameplay looked more variable) and dialogs were really catchy. VLR was suffered from your usual VN issues - lengthy pointless dialogs, slow repetitive gameplay process. Especially hate non-speedable DOOR OPENING/CLOSING and NON skippable unread text. That was just insanely stupid decision. Also 3d sprites looked utterly stupid on that "pre-rendered" empty rooms, whole game was like it was done in 1990 on Quake 1 engine, really, but without good level design. It really looked so cheap comparing to rich background/foreground gfx of 999, that I had to literally press myself to continue playing these annoying "person goes there .... ping .. ping .. ping... door opens... ping ping ... repeat ad infinitum". Who decided that this is good design decision? It was looked awful, Ever17 with its 2d gfx were much adorable than that bleak VLR.

If ZE3 would look like VLR - I would not buy that, no thanks.

Dunno who vibed where. 999 was much more solid than VLR, because it was smaller (and gameplay looked more variable) and dialogs were really catchy. VLR was suffered from your usual VN issues - lengthy pointless dialogs, slow repetitive gameplay process. Especially hate non-speedable DOOR OPENING/CLOSING and NON skippable unread text. That was just insanely stupid decision. Also 3d sprites looked utterly stupid on that "pre-rendered" empty rooms, whole game was like it was done in 1990 on Quake 1 engine, really, but without good level design. It really looked so cheap comparing to rich background/foreground gfx of 999, that I had to literally press myself to continue playing these annoying "person goes there .... ping .. ping .. ping... door opens... ping ping ... repeat ad infinitum". Who decided that this is good design decision? It was looked awful, Ever17 with its 2d gfx were much adorable than that bleak VLR.

G3n3raL86, No wonder than it was such a big impact on you. I believe if VLR was your first Uchikoshi game it blow away your mind. But when you played most of his games before, well... He just does same thing again and again and again.

He does not change even main concept - closed space (underwater park/sinking ship/closed building/etc) with X people isolated there and see how they come out of there, and always introduce something related to Einstein's multiverse theory. Really after 3rd time this becomes really disappoining to find again same twist you read 3 times already and it is like "oh no... noooo... not again that shit!"...

Come to think if it, i SHOULD! :)

(provide links, plz!)

Do i need to play Ever7 first?

There is no "Ever7", only Never7. They are not really connected, so better skip, as N7 is really like cutted version of Ever17. Usual set of characters, usual isolated environment, well, usual basic story from Uchikoshi.

G3n3raL86, No wonder than it was such a big impact on you. I believe if VLR was your first Uchikoshi game it blow away your mind. But when you played most of his games before, well... He just does same thing again and again and again.

He does not change even main concept - closed space (underwater park/sinking ship/closed building/etc) with X people isolated there and see how they come out of there, and always introduce something related to Einstein's multiverse theory. Really after 3rd time this becomes really disappoining to find again same twist you read 3 times already and it is like "oh no... noooo... not again that shit!"...

999 was actually the most different game from all of the games Uchikoshi made. It does not introduce his favorite trick about point of view (i think you know what I am talking about, if you completed VLR), it have new gameplay feature concept (and the puzzles were quite normal and logical, comparing with some puzzles from VLR, which had to literally click whole screen in search of what else could do) and it was NOT required to repeat whole game again and again to get the ending, so 999 stands out among his works.

Actually this sort of gameplay (to repeat same story routes branching if you have game lock opened/item) reminds me Yu-No a lot, seems that's where he got this story concept.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday, Aksys revealed a few tidbits about the game. The game's now definitely called Zero Time Dilemma.

Official logo:

CSmBBFYUsAAUSsC.png

This game will be brought over to Europe by Aksys as well. While this likely means that there'll be no missing dubs this time (VLR in EU was missing the ENG dub option), since this is Aksys' first foray into EU, the game will be digital only in EU, for both 3DS and Vita. You can import the physical Vita version from the US though, since Vita is region free (except DLC). US will have a physical option for both platforms.

We also got the full res image of the concept art that was shown in the panel the day after the ZE3 reveal:

CSmFcnIUEAAUqOh.jpg

(They previously posted a green tinted version of this, probably doesn't mean anything: https://twitter.com/aksysgames/status/660201063815864320) 

Edited by Funyarinpa

Ehm... Girl have same necklace with blue bird Luna had? So this is the girl who killed 6 billions it seems... Strange why she did not participated in VLR, if Sigma saved her. Maybe it was all futile. At least I definitely like the design.

Btw, completed second time VLR... Did not liked ending and all these "reveals", some of them are really ridiculous and made up, especially truth about Sigma - he is imbecile or what not to notice that earlier?... 999 is so much better and solid than VLR, that I really do not understand, why VLR got all the praise.

And why whole this scene looks like the one from the Saw movie? I really hope they would not make another lame 3D like VLR and stick to solid 2D (unfortunately the possibility is feeble) or at least better looking that VLR (as lets be honest, VLR looks like Quake2, so gfx is outdated for 15 years or even more.

Edited by Scorp

Ehm... Girl have same necklace with blue bird Luna had? So this is the girl who killed 6 billions it seems... Strange why she did not participated in VLR, if Sigma saved her. Maybe it was all futile. At least I definitely like the design.

Btw, completed second time VLR... Did not liked ending and all these "reveals", some of them are really ridiculous and made up, especially truth about Sigma - he is imbecile or what not to notice that earlier?... 999 is so much better and solid than VLR, that I really do not understand, why VLR got all the praise.

And why whole this scene looks like the one from the Saw movie? I really hope they would not make another lame 3D like VLR and stick to solid 2D (unfortunately the possibility is feeble) or at least better looking that VLR (as lets be honest, VLR looks like Quake2, so gfx is outdated for 15 years or even more.

That girl is thought to be Diana, the woman Luna was modelled after who Sigma met in the test site (IIRC). Don't remember where this info was from, maybe the Q&As? Maybe it's in the secret files archive? Weird that you recently played it and do not know who Diana is. That same Q&A also stated that the Mars mission test site includes a lot of traps, which leads most people into thinking that this mechanism is also a trap. 

Also, ZTD is confirmed to be closer to 999 in atmosphere than VLR, which is a welcome change indeed. I'd say it is likely they will go back to 2D art because of that. 

If by "truth about Sigma" you mean the eye thing, I think it is possible that by 207X, it might be possible to create robotic eyes perfectly capable of emulating real ones. If you mean the age, the Moon has far lower gravity so it is possible Sigma felt far less burden when handling things,which would balance out the weakness that comes with old age. 

... How were people able to run in that case though? Hmm...  That can (probably)  be attributed to the Rhizome-9 structure. 

hm... Girl have same necklace with blue bird Luna had? So this is the girl who killed 6 billions it seems... Strange why she did not participated in VLR, if Sigma saved her. Maybe it was all futile. At least I definitely like the design.

That girl is thought to be Diana, the woman Luna was modelled after who Sigma met in the test site (IIRC). Don't remember where this info was from, maybe the Q&As? Maybe it's in the secret files archive? Weird that you recently played it and do not know who Diana is. That same Q&A also stated that the Mars mission test site includes a lot of traps, which leads most people into thinking that this mechanism is also a trap. 

Also, ZTD is confirmed to be closer to 999 in atmosphere than VLR, which is a welcome change indeed. I'd say it is likely they will go back to 2D art because of that. 

If by "truth about Sigma" you mean the eye thing, I think it is possible that by 207X, it might be possible to create robotic eyes perfectly capable of emulating real ones. If you mean the age, the Moon has far lower gravity so it is possible Sigma felt far less burden when handling things,which would balance out the weakness that comes with old age. 

... How were people able to run in that case though? Hmm...  That can (probably)  be attributed to the Rhizome-9 structure. 

There was no mention of that name "Diana" in the VLR at all. Same for that Luna was modelled after her. I believe you read some Uchikoshi Answers somewhere, as this is not in the game at all (apart conversation between operator and some woman on Mars Test site, never revealed who she is). Also, I assume that if the bird is on Luna neck, then that Diana woman should be around somewhere in the warehouse, but she is not. So where is she? Break up with Sigma and went to Hongou or Brother? :) 

Uchikoshi also told that 2D requires much more money, so they would go for 3D, also it was confirmed that all novel sections would be full-animated - how else they would do it if game is not 3D? Anyway the fact that Spike Chunsoft sucks at 3D is definitely true, and as they are developers... Well... Another 15-year dated technology, I suppose. Chunsoft only good as 2D games developer.

Yes, I mean the eye, means look at his design, this thing goes out of the eye for dunno, 5-6 centimeters. There is no way you would not able to notice something this huge by your other eye. Also his skin must be visually worse - wrinkles and stuff - and I cannot believe Sigma never touched his own face for 30 hours! And Sigma always ignored when others called him "old man" - what a genius scholar we have here :) I can think of other examples of deliberately not mentioned to reader, but things visible to others in the game - like, come on, even in Terminator 2 it was live skin tissue over the mechanical body - you cannot create skin, which looks and feels 100% same as normal skin (anyway, this is the least one). Also that whole Dio thing, where he was able to chain two persons without much of a problem and even without any visual scratches over his face is ridiculous as hell.

Also food. How the hell K was eating food all his entire life in that armor?? He is portrayed with same ridiculous mask even through his younger years. Another ridiculous fact is how easily they go from Moon to Earth and back. No gravity exist in future, no fuel is needed, anyone like old man with kid could travel to space without issues. really, no spaceports needed, whatever, it is like taking a walk :)

For run no worries, moon actually have gravity and as everyone was injected with virus, they got slowdowned a lot :) I believe Zero III had fun looking for slow-mo action for 30+ hours :)

Anyway, 999 was a solid experience and all should be ended there, by me. That VLR is just a mediocre made-up sequel, which does not have any ending and only "see you in ZE3".

Aaaand yes, I am just helping to increase hype for ZE3.

Edited by Scorp

hm... Girl have same necklace with blue bird Luna had? So this is the girl who killed 6 billions it seems... Strange why she did not participated in VLR, if Sigma saved her. Maybe it was all futile. At least I definitely like the design.

There was no mention of that name "Diana" in the VLR at all. Same for that Luna was modelled after her. I believe you read some Uchikoshi Answers somewhere, as this is not in the game at all (apart conversation between operator and some woman on Mars Test site, never revealed who she is). Also, I assume that if the bird is on Luna neck, then that Diana woman should be around somewhere in the warehouse, but she is not. So where is she? Break up with Sigma and went to Hongou or Brother? :) 

Uchikoshi also told that 2D requires much more money, so they would go for 3D, also it was confirmed that all novel sections would be full-animated - how else they would do it if game is not 3D? Anyway the fact that Spike Chunsoft sucks at 3D is definitely true, and as they are developers... Well... Another 15-year dated technology, I suppose. Chunsoft only good as 2D games developer.

Yes, I mean the eye, means look at his design, this thing goes out of the eye for dunno, 5-6 centimeters. There is no way you would not able to notice something this huge by your other eye. Also his skin must be visually worse - wrinkles and stuff - and I cannot believe Sigma never touched his own face for 30 hours! And Sigma always ignored when others called him "old man" - what a genius scholar we have here :) I can think of other examples of deliberately not mentioned to reader, but things visible to others in the game - like, come on, even in Terminator 2 it was live skin tissue over the mechanical body - you cannot create skin, which looks and feels 100% same as normal skin (anyway, this is the least one). Also that whole Dio thing, where he was able to chain two persons without much of a problem and even without any visual scratches over his face is ridiculous as hell.

Also food. How the hell K was eating food all his entire life in that armor?? He is portrayed with same ridiculous mask even through his younger years. Another ridiculous fact is how easily they go from Moon to Earth and back. No gravity exist in future, no fuel is needed, anyone like old man with kid could travel to space without issues. really, no spaceports needed, whatever, it is like taking a walk :)

For run no worries, moon actually have gravity and as everyone was injected with virus, they got slowdowned a lot :) I believe Zero III had fun looking for slow-mo action for 30+ hours :)

Anyway, 999 was a solid experience and all should be ended there, by me. That VLR is just a mediocre made-up sequel, which does not have any ending and only "see you in ZE3".

Aaaand yes, I am just helping to increase hype for ZE3.

Sigma doesn't take the "old man" remarks seriously at all. Did they all stick out to you in your first playthrough? Also not noticing the skin/eye thing could possibly be attributed to the fact that the whole cast is distracted by the whole Nonary Game thing which could indeed lead to Sigma not really touching his face for 12 hours or so (remember that's by his own perception of time). Also, IIRC the perimeter of the eye kind of bends inwards, which indeed could mean that Sigma didn't notice it. K could have been injected with nutritients for all we know- this is 60 years in the future, who knows? Also, to my knowledge, going to the moon has irreversible physiological effects only after a few months. Tenmyouji and Quark could have returned easily. For what we know, cryogenic freeze keeps the body in perfect stasis- hence, Alice etc. could also return to Earth without any complications. As to the spaceship etc. organization, Akane is the head of an organization called the Crash Keys (this was hidden in a bomb code/ mentioned in VLR answers too, IIRC) which, according to what we know, is very powerful. They acquired one of the 42(?) Rhizome settlements on the moon, that can't be cheap. Terminator 2 point is invalid, different fictional universes do not apply their rules to each other. Zero III could also have its perception slowed down by Rad6 if that'd pose a problem.

In short, since it's half a century in the future, we can't really know.

Sigma doesn't take the "old man" remarks seriously at all. Did they all stick out to you in your first playthrough? Also not noticing the skin/eye thing could possibly be attributed to the fact that the whole cast is distracted by the whole Nonary Game thing which could indeed lead to Sigma not really touching his face for 12 hours or so (remember that's by his own perception of time). Also, IIRC the perimeter of the eye kind of bends inwards, which indeed could mean that Sigma didn't notice it. K could have been injected with nutritients for all we know- this is 60 years in the future, who knows? Also, to my knowledge, going to the moon has irreversible physiological effects only after a few months. Tenmyouji and Quark could have returned easily. For what we know, cryogenic freeze keeps the body in perfect stasis- hence, Alice etc. could also return to Earth without any complications. As to the spaceship etc. organization, Akane is the head of an organization called the Crash Keys (this was hidden in a bomb code/ mentioned in VLR answers too, IIRC) which, according to what we know, is very powerful. They acquired one of the 42(?) Rhizome settlements on the moon, that can't be cheap. Terminator 2 point is invalid, different fictional universes do not apply their rules to each other. Zero III could also have its perception slowed down by Rad6 if that'd pose a problem.

In short, since it's half a century in the future, we can't really know.

Yes, they stick a lot at my first playthrough, means if it was just one time I would not notice that...

Inwards?? Take a look at screenshot http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/ninehourspersonsdoors/images/c/c8/Sigma_reflection.png/revision/latest?cb=20140201021833 no way anyone could not notice THIS big thing, it is even bigger than his nose!

K cannot be injected with nutrients, because he regularily had dinner together, and something about meals was mentioned as well in K ending.

They acquired Rhizome only because it was small and was supposed to be abandoned and all way to it were cut, so I suppose it was through non-legal activity rather than they bought it. Anyway having in mind in what state is Earth now, it is very unlikely that space travel became such a thing that every powerful organization could do - naturally, this require so much efforts of tons of people to just organize the space travel, that this is just plan bullshit, I do not buy it.

Terminator is just for reference of an acceptable explanation. VLR explanation is just not believeable, artificial skin cannot look same as your usual skin, unless it is, well, real skin.

Why would Zero III had slowdown perception? He is an AI, since when Rad6 could slowdown AI? :)

So too much inconsistency, really. Could be much better than this. Especially if Uchi was not aimed to "wow" effect with Sigma and Luna and other revels like "you all sedated to slowdown, are on moon etc", in the end all this was seen as a really forced thing, was just meh. Uchi have a problem with limits, actually, like the ending in E17, when first everyone told it is impossible to swim up, and then for NO REASON that guy jumped into the sea, dived 100 meters DOWN without ANY problem... And all for WOW effect... Here is same flaw.

Btw, could someone divide topic? As this is definitely related to VLR mostly, not to ZE3.

Edited by Scorp