AX2015 Hype/News Thread - Flowers, Root Double, G-Senjou, Himawari, Alicesoft, and more announcements!

Decay

appearently this is already old news & there´ll be other announcements in around 1 months from now. so u might want to wait

edit: regarding angel beats, i dont see the possibility of them doing angel beats in the next time, cause its going to be a longer series, ergo neads alot of staff commiting themselves to only doing it. guess they´re going first for them other titles like rewrite & little busters, which are already done translationwise (in more or less satisfying quality), perfectly fitting into their all ages steam policy.

The plot thickens...

Alicesoft wanted to release something older and MangaGamer asked for something newer, it’s not really Alicesoft that [made the decision to license Beat Blades Haruka rather than something else]. I’m sure Alicesoft would not have much of a problem with releasing Rance VI. The major obstacle is that it’s a lower resolution game and MG is reluctant to release those, but I’ve brought it up plenty since and the guy in charge of licensing at MG says we can do it, so I’m holding them to that. They’re aware Rance has clout and VI is a major game, but from the first time I talked to them they said Haruka was their #1 target.
Source: The translator for the Beat Blades Haruka and Rance VI projects

21:56:41 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> Q: Negotiations to bring Rance over?

21:57:08 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> A: As you may know, that's Alicesoft's most famous game, so of course that's what we wanted to do, but to test the waters of the english market, they do haruka first, and we thought it would be an interest title
21:57:15 <bay|AX|MangaGamer> so buy lots of haruka, and we'll bring you rance

Source: Anime Expo 2015 Mangagamer panel (I was there so I can verify they actually said this)

http://ask.fm/TulipGoddess/answer/130781701579

So Arunaru admitted that it was actually Mangagamer who pushed for Haruka. So Haruka sales mean bugger all in terms of Rance, which Mangagamer could have gotten if they wanted. Were you actually planning to tell us that?‎

That's not true at all?

Perhaps what he meant was that MangaGamer has always been interested in localizing Beat Blades Haruka, as we have always been interested in localizing as many Alicesoft games as we can.

We have a list, and it's quite long. And Rance has always been the first item on the list. It's pretty silly to assume we wouldn't even try to get Rance when even the people at MG who have never played a Rance game think the series looks awesome.

It is actually insane that some people think that MangaGamer is purposefully holding off on doing Rance for some mystifying reason. If they could do Rance, they'd do it right away and rake in so much more dough than with BBH.

What Arunaru's quote most likely means is that BBH was MangaGamer's #1 after Rance was denied to them.

http://ask.fm/TulipGoddess/answer/130781701579

It is actually insane that some people think that MangaGamer is purposefully holding off on doing Rance for some mystifying reason. If they could do Rance, they'd do it right away and rake in so much more dough than with BBH.

What Arunaru's quote most likely means is that BBH was MangaGamer's #1 after Rance was denied to them.

That's not what Arunaru seemed to think (I read most of his comments on his blog).  He seems to be rather unhappy he got stuck with Haruka together with his Rance VI project being stalled.  It sounds like Mangagamer may be running into professionalism issues, something they've had issues with before with new-hire fan translators.  Either that or they're lying, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

While Rance06 seems to be very popular among the vocal community, it's also a very old game. MG was probably worried about betting their partnership with Alicesoft on a game that could very well be dismissed by regular buyers that don't know wtf Rance or Alicesoft even are (not to mention they have no sale charts for non-nukige game-play VNs).

Meanwhile, their game-play nukiges sell the best of their games, so they picked Haruka (that is pretty much the king of game-play nukige in Japan, and is more or less a guaranteed sell) to show Alicesoft good numbers first, and then probably get their hands on Rance and their other games without as much risk.

In my dealings with MG I learned that 1. they aren't stupid, and 2. they love story-titles just as we do. And I'd say it's a smart strategy in the long run, even though they had to piss off some of their future customers in the process (it's all to establish a long-lasting relationship with Alicesoft, guys!).

Not to mention that good relationship with Alicesoft could lead to other game-play companies wanting to jump in, too, like Eushully. I'm pretty sure it's not only Rance that depends on the success of BBH.

(This is all pure speculation. I'm not involved in anything relating to Alicesoft there.)

I think Haruka is a solid choice, though sadly it's probably not Steam worthy.  I'm looking forward to the day a Rance game premieres on Steam...

But yes, more important than the Haruka license itself is the potential this partnership brings.  Alicesoft makes some of the best gameplay eroge in the industry, and such a conservative, venerable, and highly successful company releasing games overseas is bound to turn the heads of other developers.  This could be just the breakthrough needed to further open up the market.  In many ways this announcement is as historic as the Nitroplus partnership was in 2009, after which the overall quality of JAST USA's licenses improved significantly.  If Mangagamer shows they can handle the license to Alicesoft's satisfaction, their brand will gain an immense amount of respectability among Japanese developers.

I'm kind of surprised Mangagamer was the company to secure a partnership with Alicesoft.  Perhaps this will motivate JAST USA to step up their game and grab Eushully.  Or perhaps Sekai Project will come along and try to Kickstart Ikusa Megami Zero for a million dollars?  :lol:

I think Haruka is a solid choice, though sadly it's probably not Steam worthy.  I'm looking forward to the day a Rance game premieres on Steam...

But yes, more important than the Haruka license itself is the potential this partnership brings.  Alicesoft makes some of the best gameplay eroge in the industry, and such a conservative, venerable, and highly successful company releasing games overseas is bound to turn the heads of other developers.  This could be just the breakthrough needed to further open up the market.  In many ways this announcement is as historic as the Nitroplus partnership was in 2009, after which the overall quality of JAST USA's licenses improved significantly.  If Mangagamer shows they can handle the license to Alicesoft's satisfaction, their brand will gain an immense amount of respectability among Japanese developers.

I'm kind of surprised Mangagamer was the company to secure a partnership with Alicesoft.  Perhaps this will motivate JAST USA to step up their game and grab Eushully.  Or perhaps Sekai Project will come along and try to Kickstart Ikusa Megami Zero for a million dollars?  :lol:

Somehow I doubt that Sekai will be able to grab Eashully titles.  dovac was whining on VNDB about how large their workload was (supposedly as a way to justify their poor translations of a few VNs), and considering how large most Eashully games are, I can't see them willingly taking those behemoths on.  That, and almost every Eashully game is h-scene heavy.  An all-ages port would be pretty stupid, considering how much content they'd have to cut out, and they've seemed pretty hesitant on only releasing 18+ versions, considering most of their Steam releases are mediocre ecchi that are designed to lure in horny little teenagers.  If Sekai Project gets their hands on Eashully games, I'll be pretty upset, I'm not gonna lie.

If Sekai Project gets their hands on Eashully games, I'll be pretty upset, I'm not gonna lie.

It would be the greatest troll move since Mangagamer partnered with Alicesoft to prevent the Rance series from being released in English.  And dovac would never pass up a good opportunity to troll the fanbase.

your comments make me totally shudder, goosebumps all fucking over my body, when thinking about h-less eushully titles aka full routes getting cut out....oh almighty goddess of lewdness, may your wrath come upon those insolent fools, denying the fact of sexual acts also beeing used as a rhetorical device & not only for fappness alone.

@zenophilious, yeah that would be my biggest horror, definitely. cause nearly all of their games do not only have much ero-content, no it is also pretty often very plot relevant & censoring it would basically kill the plot/tension & turn it into a travesty like the other all ages game, planned to be released on steam. guess even half of their own fanbase would go on a rampage, when faced with such insolense

edit: nevertheless mangagamer will announce 5 games & 2 new partners on otakon, so stay hyped!

http://mangagamer.org/announcements/

your comments make me totally shudder, goosebumps all fucking over my body, when thinking about h-less eushully titles aka full routes getting cut out....oh almighty goddess of lewdness, may your wrath come upon those insolent fools, denying the fact of sexual acts also beeing used as a rhetorical device & not only for fappness alone.

@zenophilious, yeah that would be my biggest horror, definitely. cause nearly all of their games do not only have much ero-content, no it is also pretty often very plot relevant & censoring it would basically kill the plot/tension & turn it into a travesty like the other all ages game, planned to be released on steam. guess even half of their own fanbase would go on a rampage, when faced with such insolense

edit: nevertheless mangagamer will announce 5 games & 2 new partners on otakon, so stay hyped!

http://mangagamer.org/announcements/

2 more new Partners huh? I still have hope for some good news for Meoge Fans.

nah moege is the last thing i´d like to see from mg in the future, one title a year is enough, they are more suited for titles including a serious plot, with a high re-readability,  stuff which has high literary value & challenges ur mind whilst reading through.

Eh, they could do more than one moege a year, that would be fine. But they also don't even have their next one announced so even if they do one a year, it's time for them to announce next year's.

I'd say DCIII sort of counts as a moege and they might release it by next year. 

nevertheless mangagamer will announce 5 games & 2 new partners on otakon, so stay hyped!

5 games and 2 new partners...do the 2 new partners include 1 game from each?

I am fully expecting one of the games to be imouto paradise 2 for the nukige side of things.

Outside of the mangagamer otakon stuff I don't seem to see any comments from jast about even having a panel at SDCC...can we take this to mean no new announcements from them for the rest of the year?

i know whats a booth like, but thought i heard sth about them announcing stuff, too, guess i´ve been in the wrong, though i still think there will be more this year., as they´re almost done with their backlog

No, you didn't hear wrong, they pretty much said they'd announce something if you took what they said at face value. But I was always skeptical because you can never take what they say at face value. What they said is that they had announcements at AX and Comic Con, what they meant to say was that they'd be at those shows and would also have announcements. They've already made those announcements at AX. They haven't said anything about Otakon yet.

Don't worry, figuring out what JAST's apocalyptically bad PR actually intends to say is an acquired skillset. 

A random note regarding Himawari, there will not actually be an 18+ version, that appeared to have been a mistake on the mangagamer PR's part. http://mangagamerstaff.tumblr.com/post/124038930274/i-was-wondering-if-there-was-any-difference-in-the

Also because there's nowhere else good to post about this, the guy who handled Steins;Gate for JAST teased something Chaos;Head related: http://ask.fm/SciADV/answer/129059980599