AX2015 Hype/News Thread - Flowers, Root Double, G-Senjou, Himawari, Alicesoft, and more announcements!

Decay

They said that original Umineko1-4 and PS3 version would be needed to play(that's what I heard not 100% sure) MG probably also know about them, they're working on it since 2013~~ or even earlier. Such a good guys... And they're doing it all for free, just to bring us ultimate Umineko experience.

Yeah, they sound pretty awesome, and Umineko is a great game. I myself played it on PS3 and know just how good that version is.

I was just worried they might get in trouble, but, hopefully, it will turn out all right, especially if they'll go an extra step to somehow make it work on the official release.

I don't know which version I'd go for if I couldn't speak Japanese, though. Umineko is very sensitive to the slightest of mistls and imprecise wording, and the fan-translation has problems (spawning weird alternate theories even) that I doubt anyone but a professional, with Ryukishi's guidance preferably, could fix. But then again, it remains to be seen what MG will really do with the scripts.

But, but, wasn't narcissu 1 and 2 realeased free in English on steam already? They going to sell that? -_- But beyond my vague dislike of business practice...

Quoting Agilis (Narcissu translator) on Reddit:

There are no plans to do anything to the existing 1st&2nd edition currently on steam. They've been free for 10 years now, so there isn't much reason to do anything to them.

Yeah, they sound pretty awesome, and Umineko is a great game. I myself played it on PS3 and know just how good that version is.

I was just worried they might get in trouble, but, hopefully, it will turn out all right, especially if they'll go an extra step to somehow make it work on the official release.

I don't know which version I'd go for if I couldn't speak Japanese, though. Umineko is very sensitive to the slightest of mistls and imprecise wording, and the fan-translation has problems (spawning weird alternate theories even) that I doubt anyone but a professional, with Ryukishi's guidance preferably, could fix. But then again, it remains to be seen what MG will really do with the scripts.

They should make their patch work on MG's version and translation. I doubt whatever they're planning to do to the script is going to be anywhere near close to MG's touch (I could already spot excessive ellipse overuse in the demo video you provided).

...And wouldn't it make this illegal, as in C&D territory, if they were planning to release this as competition for MG's release? I'm pretty sure MG would turn a blind eye if this worked on their version, and boosted their sales though (as long as both of them don't get C&Ds and flack from Alchemist or smth). xD

Well, they always asked people to buy the original games then patch it, so I doubt they would pirate it now.

They cannot work with MG, at least not with what they are using [PS3 version sprites and background], since Alchemist is the owner of all that, and it doesn't like the West so much, I guess [that's why MG re-did all Higurashi sprites]

Probably mostly what you know, so the only real reason to get hype is that Nakazawa Takumi tweeted it. I have no idea how that happened, but I love it.

I now regret not picking a catchier article title. I whipped the whole thing out in like an hour's time and then I realized I forgot the article title and was kind of burnt out and bullshitted something. Im gud jurnolist.

I wonder whether he just can't control himself (there are certainly reasons for him to be ticked off himself), or actually thinks it's fun.

22:36 Down: I don't know how dovac finds it in him to answer to shitposters on vndb https://vndb.org/t6693/1

22:37 aginyan: we've told him that he should chill out a bit more and at least ignore 4chan and shitposts on things like vndb <_<

22:37 aginyan: but he doesn't really listen >_>;

His next comment is pretty sensible though... You don't have to like the man or his business practices but SP didn't fail to deliver results so far.

I now regret not picking a catchier article title. I whipped the whole thing out in like an hour's time and then I realized I forgot the article title and was kind of burnt out and bullshitted something. Im gud jurnolist.

Thx for your summary, i smehow missed some of them.

Wait, how did he even find this? Did someone give him this link? Does he browse Fuwanovel? Is he reading this right now?  :michiru:

I think he was following the AX stuff fairly closely on Twitter so he likely saw it mentioned somewhere. 

Dovac's second comment is a perfect example of why people get ticked off by his personality. Whether or not it will actually harm business at a significant level (he seems fairly convinced it won't here as far as I can tell), I can't see the value in acting unprofessionally like this. I wonder whether he just can't control himself (there are certainly reasons for him to be ticked off himself), or actually thinks it's fun.

It's definitely the former.

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of this, but dovac used to be an active member in the visual novel translation scene. He was mostly known for hosting several VN translation-related sites (for example, everything on the moelicious.be domain, including at that time the site of Amaterasu Translations; pretty sure he also hosted TLWiki). However, over time the fanbase got more and more ungrateful, both towards fan translators and towards original creators. Notable incidents that probably further soured dovac's opinion of the community were the Amaterasu-MangaGamer incident and the creation of Fuwanovel (which started out as a pure piracy site with a strong anti-copyright message). Eventually he gave everyone whose sites he hosted a deadline to find a new host, and after the deadline pulled the plug and more or less disappeared.

Years later, he returns as the founder of a new localization company in a dead market, manages to reel in tons of new fans, brings unprecedented success for Japanese partners and brings over notable games that were considered unlicenseable (especially Clannad). And the response of the 'true VN fans' (talking mainly about the older communities like /jp/), who all these years have barely bought MG's and JAST's games? They shit on everything. They shit on Steam, they shit on all-ages versions, they shit on kickstarter (the method used to license said 'unlicenseable' games), they shit on the new fans brought in by Sekai Project, they even shit on the fact Sekai Project is a profitable venture (whereas MangaGamer has been struggling for most of its existence and even now isn't that profitable). They stir up shit among potential fans, interpret everything in the most negative way possible and spread misinformation. The only reason they haven't organized a proper boycott yet is because too few of them actually buy anything.

Looking at it from dovac's perspective, I'm perplexed he even bothers with the old fanbase anymore. dovac has every reason to utterly hate the entire old fanbase; it's mainly the newer fans that allow Sekai Project to achieve the successes they've achieved so far.

Years later, he returns as the founder of a new localization company in a dead market, manages to reel in tons of new fans, brings unprecedented success for Japanese partners and brings over notable games that were considered unlicenseable (especially Clannad). And the response of the 'true VN fans' (talking mainly about the older communities like /jp/), who all these years have barely bought MG's and JAST's games? They shit on everything. They shit on Steam, they shit on all-ages versions, they shit on kickstarter (the method used to license said 'unlicenseable' games), they shit on the new fans brought in by Sekai Project, they even shit on the fact Sekai Project is a profitable venture (whereas MangaGamer has been struggling for most of its existence and even now isn't that profitable). They stir up shit among potential fans, interpret everything in the most negative way possible and spread misinformation. The only reason they haven't organized a proper boycott yet is because too few of them actually buy anything.

Uh, it's more or less just attitudes that are shared across every anime related board/thread on 4chan. /a/ and crunchyroll is literally an exact mirror of how /vn/ and /jp/ feel towards SP. 

I think every localiser is starting to head towards a new market. You're right, the old fanbase IS disrespectful, and their trend of not really paying is just part of that disrespect, so I think localisers and developers are starting to realise that to stay viable they need to start looking away from VN's eroge roots and broaden the appeal. And STEAM is the vehicle they will use to do this.

The fact that you can say MG and JAST are paying "equal attention" (although it's not quite that yet) to both markets shows that they are engaged in an ongoing shift in where they focus their efforts, when you consider that a year ago they paid literally no attention at all to the all-ages market.

There ARE paying fans who don't like dovac too, you know.  Dovac trolls almost every single article I put up on Reddit.  His attitude is just extremely abrasive, and that's saying a lot coming from me.  I used to be rather neutral towards him, but his words just keep turning me against him, even though Sekai Project's actual actions under his leadership have been fairly benign.  I talked with astro and the guy from the monthly recap videos at Anime Expo, and they seem like reasonable people.  Dovac is just terrible at PR.

The fact that you can say MG and JAST are paying "equal attention" (although it's not quite that yet) to both markets shows that they are engaged in an ongoing shift in where they focus their efforts, when you consider that a year ago they paid literally no attention at all to the all-ages market.

And? That doesn't mean they have intentions of focusing on the all-ages versions over 18+ like SP currently do.