AX2015 Hype/News Thread - Flowers, Root Double, G-Senjou, Himawari, Alicesoft, and more announcements!

Decay

Wondering if I should go or not. Maybe JAST will give a Sumaga release date? ;)

Not that it will mean anything. :P

Yeah, the majority of ongoing fan translations are moege. It seems like localizers are less interested in those titles/they're not as profitable, though. But that's only speculation.

Traditionally, the fan translation scene produced very few moege translations. The large amount of moege translations are a relatively new phenomenon, mostly started by us. It's not too surprising that the localization companies would fall behind on that trend, since they're by and large made up of all the people from the fan scene who were previously not doing moege at all.

edit: Didn't mean to double post, sorry.

Yeah, the majority of ongoing fan translations are moege. It seems like localizers are less interested in those titles/they're not as profitable, though. But that's only speculation.

This used to be the case, but I'm pretty sure the massive success of recent games like Princess Evangile and Nekopara was enough to prove the potential of such games to localizers.

Traditionally, the fan translation scene produced very few moege translations. The large amount of moege translations are a relatively new phenomenon, mostly started by us. It's not too surprising that the localization companies would fall behind on that trend, since they're by and large made up of all the people from the fan scene who were previously not doing moege at all. 

edit: Didn't mean to double post, sorry.

Um... I think this phenomenon occurs because the most popular and high rated VNs were already translated... So, translators now are TLing moege.

Although it may be a bit much to attribute it all to Fuwanovel (although most of the projects here are moege), there is still a TON of untranslated, highly rated non-moege out there. 

That people get shitty about when translators who aren't top tier try and tackle. People can't have it both ways, people can't demand translators leave quality games alone unless the translators are pretty damn good, and then turn around and complain at the sheer amount of moege being translated. Because there aren't that many "pretty damn good" translators hanging around the fan-VN scene...

Nekopara is a nukige, it's a different case. And I thought Princess Evangile was a charage...

Charage is what we call moege in Japan (a game that has little plot and relies on its moe characters to keep itself interesting somehow). And Princess Evangile is definitely that. xD

Incidentally, does anybody know if there are going to be live streams of any of those panels? I think someone streamed them last year.

So far none of them have posted information about streaming. I don't think they'll be officially streamed, although I do recall one or two being recorded last year. I'm also not sure if there will be any liveblogging, I was about to look for that. 

Apparently an English and French version of Dahlia, a short 18+ Yuri VN taking place in 19th century France, is being sold for the next few days at Japan Expo in France: https://www.lewdgamer.com/2015/07/02/yuri-eroge-dahlia-premiere-today-japan-expo/ A downloadable version will be released later. I can't find any further details about this because the links in that article are all dead. Maybe this is something Down should keep an eye out for :). Note that this was translated by a french company known as Kikan Editions, their french translation may be a bit better than their english one. Also note, Sekai Project has previously licensed another one of the developer's games, Atom Grrrl.

Also also, on a side note, FAKKU is having a panel just after JAST's ends. They translate hentai manga primarily, and they seem like cool guys. They've expressed interest in getting into eroge, there's a slim chance they might talk more about that at their panel tonight. 

Except the version of Nekopara that made the biggest splash was the all-ages version (45k sales on Steam back in April). What else can you call it than a moege?

What does a censored version have to do with what sort of genre the actual game is? That being said, Nekopara isn't a nukige really, but it still has a good amount of h content for the length of the game. 

Sonico- meh.

Flowers- I'm excited, but... what? How?  :michiru:

That is likely the question on everyone's mind...I was told this information by a trustworthy friend who is there but yeah no one knows.

Mangagamer has been hinting at the sonohanabira series so...yeah I have no idea.

Sonico I think everyone is meh on but I'm sure there are some fans somewhere.

Seinarukana and Sumaga were also mentioned to be aiming for release this year.

I'm a horrible person but I am enjoying the hell out of this schadenfreude. NOBODY at MangaGamer knew this was coming, they are all baffled by this. Tulip Goddess Maria was planning it all out and even had steam badges and achievement pics planned out. Everyone there just assumed that they could pick it up when they were ready, since they've released three IG games so far and have two more in the works.. One of the funniest bits of irony is that Maria is the one who translated SoniComi for JAST. This is all too funny to me. MG just got NTR'ed to hell and back by JAST.

I'm a horrible person but I am enjoying the hell out of this schadenfreude. NOBODY at MangaGamer knew this was coming, they are all baffled by this. Maria was planning it all out and even had steam badges and achievement pics planned out. One of the funniest bits of irony is that she is the one who translated SoniComi. This is all too funny to me. MG just got NTR'ed to hell and back by JAST.

The only thing that I can possibly think might be going on is that JAST announced some sort of partnership with Mangagamer for the title and my friend failed to mention that...he's not overly knowledgeable with vns or the companies but at the same time he did mention both of them and previously had no idea either existed so...yeah it's definitely an odd situation.

No, MangaGamer is completely uninvolved, and no one there knew this was coming. My best guess is that MG wanted to wait longer to translate it (they were probably expecting to be able to start on it later this year and release it next year) and IG wanted it localized now, not later, and JAST gave them that option. JAST is claiming that the first game is a fall 2015 release, after all.

Down, you should get that Dahlia game at Japan Expo and tell us if it's any good.

Haha, this keeps getting better:

uD8TwpJ.png

Doddler has ported all the IG titles for MG and has worked with JAST before but they didn't even call him to do that - and might even have gotten the source code for the game, whereas MG never had access to it?

Down, you should get that Dahlia game at Japan Expo and tell us if it's any good.

Will do. I'm going tomorrow.