Summer 2015 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

So here's my impression of the 4 anime I've seen this season so far:

Rokka no Yuusha:

Its going great, on par with the light novel so far, and a fairly faithful adaptation. Everything in it is stylized fairly well to give the world that "eerie" out of place feeling.  There have been no major issues, or even minor in my opinion so far.

Having read the books and knowing all the spoilers, I think they've done an excellent job with all the deception and misleading so far.  You can really see where the attitudes of certain characters change and how they are interacting already.

As a side note, I totally love that bunny costume Nashetania wears.  It's so far out there.

Gangsta:

Show seems fairly good.  All the characters appear to be well thought out and coordinated with their appearances, which is more than I can say for some shows this season.  My biggest issue with the show so far is it appears to have no grand plot so far, everything seems to be just a literal slice of life in the lives of these "handymen" in this city.  In a series that only got 12 episodes, failing to introduce any obvious plot during the first 2 episodes is disastrous in my opinion.  I have no idea where this show is going, and there is nothing to even hint at it being anything more than slice of life.  As a person who is a fan of action, which this show does very well, but has a huge distaste of episodic day to day life where nothing occurs, this show is failing to get any more than a "meh" from me.  I'll probably continue watching till episode 4, and if nothing appears, I'm dropping it.

GATE:

Holy mother of god A-1, what did you do to screw this up so badly.  Was that what you were expecting me to say? Too bad.  This show so far after 2 episodes is doing fairly well in my books.  The animation is great, the story is right in line where it should be, and there is nothing majorly missing.  They've done almost a better job than the manga so far at this point explaining what the hell has happened so far, and even if it was just fluff, this is a good thing to connect everything together.  The one thing that was touched on in this thread so far was the character design.  While I do have a bunch of problems with it, it doesn't entirely break the show yet.  Sure the sage apprentice looks like she is 10, the elf like she is 15, and the loli lacks anything that looks like maturity so far, but that is only from the OP and a 5 second clip of Itami having a "dream" about them.  We haven't seen how they act, nor how they are animated yet.  Taking a still image of someone and making guesses at how they behave is kind of silly.  On the other hand, if they fail to properly convey these characters through animation, that is when you will hear me ringing the alarms that A-1 has failed.  Everyone else besides the three main characters looks perfectly fine, and I think that the rework they did on Pina specifically looks fairly nice.

God Eater:

This is the only show that I stopped watching part way through, specifically at around the 16 minute mark where the main character runs into the horde of aragami and gets disarmed.  I just stopped there.  Everything up to that point was excellent.  The character was well thought out, he had determination and at least some amount of intelligence, was soft hearted enough to prioritize others as shown in his training, and had at least some skill or else he wouldn't have been able to live outside the wall where the aragami roamed.  What broke the show for me is how easily he got taken down.  When he cut through all of Fenrir's defenses, he showed extraordinary dexterity in hopping over the walls, yet when he goes to fight against the aragami he uses none of these talents, and the second he became armsless he had the look of "I'm done for, PANIC!".  This goes against everything they had basically just built up about him.  Where is your agility now that you lost your weapon!? Are you saying that you survived outside the wall with that kind of disposition?  God Eater reinforces my thoughts that adapting games where you create your own character is just an awful idea, and had me thinking about what would happen if a game like The Witcher was turned into a show, how it would be so much better due to already having a defined character.  If I do continue watching this show, it will be after it is completely finished, and with probably a lot of skipping done, just so I don't have to see how out of character this protagonist is.  In this case, I'm more interested in how the world develops than the main character, and that is a failure on the writing staff's part.

Gate has also shown us the best 20 second clip depicting mobile games, and thus, gets a massive thumbs up from me.

7e4cabe7e8.gif

Decided to go and watch some anime this season. 

The first two episodes of Gansgta made me so hype. I was laughing my ass off when The Good Dr. was trying to inject Nico for not beating the other DogTag fast enough. Reminds me of a grittier Samurai Champloo, which is awesome.

Also started Himouto! Umaru-chan. Umaruuun~ This show makes me explode with happiness. Not much else to say.

Beautiful but irritating Cel shades on God Eater. I love and hate the animation, but the fights do look bloody awesome. Oh the soundtrack is pretty cool too albeit the story setting is cliche now (Humans overrun by another race, MC swore to destroy the entire race, humans live inside walls.... yeah....). Well at least the MC didn't whine...

Ugh, I tried watching Dandelion, but the 1st episode was painfully draggy for me. The way the competition was set up to introduce the family's powers felt like a standard show and tell, which is aggravating when you consider that this is suppose to be a competition. One girl shows her powers while the others just stand there, then the next person comes up, and finally the last one shows off her abilities and then it looks like they're actually competing with each other. Characters seem pretty cut/paste from their usual archetypes. The character designs are cute, but that's about it. I like moe as much as the next guy, but I can't sit through an anime that only has that as a redeeming feature. I'm kinda surprised it turned out this poorly with the director of Bakuman working on this. Idk, I guess he really doesn't care about this project.

Oh well, gonna give Akagami no Shirayuki-hime a try now. This one seems very promising, and done by Bones, so hopefully it delivers.

Huh, I just found out one of the staff who's responsible of Gakkou Gurashi's script is a former screenwriter for Liar-soft. Well that put me at ease somewhat.

It's exactly why I linked the Staff, you know- a propeller writer is also in it.

Gakkou Gurashi is my most hyped of the season.

I really like what Non Non Biyori is doing, filling in the gaps left by season 1.

Some people are kind of upset it's not being a full blown sequel (at least yet) but I'm not really mad, the pacing is the same as always and the events are all new and give you more insight regarding things that happened in season 1 and I think that's really nice to see.

It's not like even if it was a full sequel there would be a ton of changes since this show has no plot to begin with, so I really find no reasons to complain about it.

I absolutely loved seeing how Hotaru and Komari got so close. I just assumed it was only because Komari was cute that Hotaru was obsessed over her, but this episode really showed there was something more to it. The Komari x Hotaru ship set sail strongly this season.

I don't know about you but I'm just having a blast watching this new season of Non Non Biyori.

Hooookay. Resumed my watching of the shows for this season.

Okusama no Seitokaichou! is well, still not that fun to watch. Well, I started it, so I'll finish it. Also, I hate how people magically have swimsuits behind aprons when there was nothing there at the start.

Gangsta does not disappoint. I am still excited about whatever will be happening in the show. I'm expecting explanations of the setting and other stuff in the next episodes, since Alex clearly wants to know these stuff. 

Wakaba*Girl is great. I'm glad I picked this up. Wakaba is adorable. Oh my god. Cute girls doing cute stuff never gets old.

Rokka no Yuusha is doing fine. I'm looking forward to how the story will go in the next episodes. Of course, I have no idea what'll happen. The art style is reminding me more and more of Tower of Druaga. Dunno why.

As a side note, I totally love that bunny costume Nashetania wears.  It's so far out there.

Another nice episode of Monster Musume today ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

hWeISNx.png

hC9uOw5.jpg

But yeah, if censoring was handled the way they did it with this, I probably wouldn't find it as obnoxious. No retarded beams of light across the screen, no stupid images covering anything. I can deal with it until the BDs are released.

Aoharu x Kikanjuu's second episode was nice. The first one was a bit of a drag for me, but the second episode is nice. It feels weird that the protagonist is a girl pretending to be a boy, but oh well. There's also fun in that.

Classroom Crisis' second episode was also nice. Not much to say about it, but nice. I thought the girls were going to be the protagonists, but I think I was wrong. Oh well.

I did not expect Joukamachi no Dandelion to have that kind of format in its episodes. The ones where you get two stories in one episode. But it's good too. Satou Hana is great.

That's about everything I've watched today.

I really like Sore ga Seiyuu, it's simple but straight to the point, and of course Ichigo is best grill.

It's interesting to see all the different sides of the voice acting business, all 3 girls go about it differently.

I can't wait to see them in the radio show.

An Umaru episode dedicated to Ebina-chan, perfect! 

Ebina-chan is definitely my second favorite in the series, I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping she'll end up together with Taihei some day.

She's just so adorable when she's fangirling over her beloved Onii-san.

Wow, Ranpo Kitan really didn't hold back this episode.

So many low blows, the feels. :sleep:

Gakou Gurashi is still going nicely.

The only major difference from the anime to the manga so far is that Mii-kun is with them as well as the dog being there.

I think this episode pretty much confirms Megu-nee is dead, they ignored her the whole time except at the very end where they thanked her, but Mii-kun was clearly flustered because she still doesn't know Megu-nee very well and how to act accordingly.

Mii-kun's story is still the same according to Rii-san, but I'm a bit saddened they haven't shown it yet, still hoping for a flashback eventually.

Overall, I still have some faith in the anime and am looking forward to the next episode.

Umaru-chan's probably my favorite show this season.

Sore ga Seiyuu's nice too. I'm holding Ichigo as my best girl for now, but I dunno. Rin seems plenty good too. Looking forward to their future ventures.

Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou... Holy god. Sign me up for the monmosu club. I originally thought censors were going to be annoying, but you don't even notice their presence at all. It's great.

God Eater was really disappointing, dropped it (the hell happened to the ufotable hype?).

Mixed opinions on Overlord, it isn't bad but nothing really interesting has happened till now, will give it one more episode to win me over(hopefully Madhouse delivers).

Gangsta is amazing, definitely a top contender for anime of the season.

DBS, Charlotte, Rokka no Yuusha are all doing wonderfully.

Since I dropped God Eater I thinking I might start one more anime this season, mostly either Gakou Gurashi or Classroom crisis.

God Eater was really disappointing, dropped it (the hell happened to the ufotable hype?).

The hype is dwindling. They're turning into KyoAni. :D Honestly, the PV for God Eater was pretty underwhelming, and I somehow had a hunch it wasn't gonna turn out that well.

Since I dropped God Eater I thinking I might start one more anime this season, mostly either Gakou Gurashi or Classroom crisis.

I'm about to watch the 2nd episode now, but the opening episode of Gakou Gurashi is interesting. Other than the end of the episode, nothing in particular was great, but it does have potential.

God Eater was really disappointing, dropped it (the hell happened to the ufotable hype?)

Kind of agree with you, the animation is really good but i am not so sure about the rest.

Ufotable might just have bitten of more than they can chew.

I mean they just finished fate and are already doing another show.

gakou gurashi is pretty damm good, seeing the second episode. and definitly worth checking out.

But i do have my reservations. down below in the spoiler as i can tell em without spoiling some things,

My biggest consern is that it might go saikano on us.

And that would be bad, very bad.

I dont need another Saikano.

Well now as to why i think that.

Lets start of with the girls suffering from PTSD, her actions could get herself and others killed pretty easily.

And from the way the show has been handled so far, i am really afraid we might get so see some pretty gruesome deaths.

honestly i am in doubt wenether to follow it this season or wait for the feedback of the final episode before i decide to watch it.

Classroom crisis:

This one also has a lot of potential it does cover some more common ground but it kind of gives me the same kind of vibe kiddy grade gave me and series like bodacious space pirates gave me.

It's no masterpiece but it definitly knows how to entertain in my eyes.

gakou gurashi is pretty damm good, seeing the second episode. and definitly worth checking out.

But i do have my reservations. down below in the spoiler as i can tell em without spoiling some things,

My biggest consern is that it might go saikano on us.

And that would be bad, very bad.

I dont need another Saikano.

Well now as to why i think that.

Lets start of with the girls suffering from PTSD, her actions could get herself and others killed pretty easily.

And from the way the show has been handled so far, i am really afraid we might get so see some pretty gruesome deaths.

honestly i am in doubt wenether to follow it this season or wait for the feedback of the final episode before i decide to watch it.

I think by now it's firmly established that Classroom Crisis and Akagami no Shirayuki-hime are the standout shows this season, maybe Monster Musume as well if you like raunchy sex comedies

oh yeah and Prison School was absolutely dreadful, my god

I'll keep on watching Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa as a guilty pleasure too, even though the it looks pretty... ugly