Summer 2015 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

Shimoneta does not disappoint.

Holy god, Anna. I knew you were top tier.

God Eater, well, I'm still at Episode 2.

ALISAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Aoharu x Kikanjuu's getting more interesting. It was boring at the start, but it's interesting now. Will see this through.

Gakkou Gurashi does not disappoint. I feel like it'll be depressing next episode.

For something that's suppose to have mystery as a focal point, Game of Laplace puts very little effort into providing details to make it interesting. Every case is wrapped up in one episode and the the writers never bother to explain how they're solved. That said, there's something about this anime that clicks with me. It probably has something to do with all the eccentricities present in this show. Normally if a show doesn't do anything clever with that eccentricity, I'd consider it a cheap gimmick to grab peoples' attention, but not this time. In the case of Laplace, they're very fresh and I haven't seen them done in any other anime, and I always welcome new experiences. The visuals do really well to compliment those moments too. And then there's my obsession with the ED.

As expected, Mii-kun's arc is told through a flashback, and they also explain why Taroumaru is with them.

Seems like Taroumaru is alive and well in this version of the story.

A little disappointed they altered Mii-kun's story quite a bit though, they never encountered the other group of people and had them attack each other, that was a pretty important part.

Though was there really a need to make it into a two part episode? Feels overly stretched, or maybe it's just me.

I noticed Gakkou Gurashi systematically cuts off whenever the zombies appear on camera. And when they are forced to appear for long periods of time, the color scheme changes and they're covered in this dark aura that pretty much hides everything, including all the bloody parts. While  the original also has a lot of cuts, the anime version definitely feels excessively censored by never showing the actual bloody stuff happening or even give us a small glimpse.

For example there was a part in this episode where all we see is a baby stroller with blood and they never show us the zombies eating anything.

This was something I was afraid of initially when they annouced the show, that it would become too PG or focus too much on the fluffy moments.

Nonetheless, this should put everything back on track and continue the story normally, or so I hope.

This is the episode of Working i've always longed for!

I never expected in a million years a misunderstanding in this story would be explained, but I was wrong.

I wonder where they go from here.

Charlotte is... underwhelming to say the least. Same formula every episode doesn't help.

I heard Maeda said the story will pick up speed at episode 6, so...

Gatchaman is my favorite of the season, pretty neat stuff; I wish Inami would drop dead, Gakkou Gurashi is losing impact and I long for Non Non Biyori's episodes (NNB may be my favorite instead of Gatchaman, now that I think of it).

This is the episode of Working i've always longed for!

I never expected in a million years a misunderstanding in this story would be explained, but I was wrong.

I wonder where they go from here.

Charlotte is... underwhelming to say the least. Same formula every episode doesn't help.

Really? I feel like the same formula used here is only less than half of the episode, the other half we get to see developments for Yusa, Nao and Yuu as well as packing with humor through out.

Oh and Maeda's beautiful soundtracks too, with that earphones scene.

Charlotte 5 Cough = Death. Imouto RIP. Still meh but I recall dude saying it was going to be that way until ep6. 

Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai 5 Holy shit, this is great. 

WakabaGirl continues to be good. 

Just some interesting things I wanted to share - 

This is a ranking of which anime from Summer 2015 that gained the most official followers since the season began.

The rankings are updated since August 2nd, 2015.

1. Gakkou Gurashi!
2. Charlotte
3. Himouto! Umaru-chan 
4. Hetalia: The World Twinkle
5. Prison School 
6. Sore ga Seiyuu! 
7. Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai 
8. Aoharu x Kikanjuu
9. Working!!! 3rd Season
10. Akagami no Shirayukihime
11. GANGSTA. 
12. Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace
13. Overlord
14. Joukamachi no Dandelion
15. Non Non Biyori Repeat
16. The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls 2nd Season
17. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz!
18. Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri
19. Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou
20. Rokka no Yuusha
21. God Eater
22. To LOVE-Ru Darkness 2nd
23. Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX
24. Jitsu wa Watashi wa
25. Junjou Romantica 3
26. Durarara!!x2 Ten
27. Classroom☆Crisis
28. Wakaba Girl
29. Gatchaman Crowds Insight
30. Dragon Ball Super
31. Wakako-zake
32. Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan
33. Okusama ga Seitokaichou!
34. Makura no Danshi
35. Wooser no Sono Higurashi: Mugen-hen
36. Ushio to Tora (TV) 
37. Danchigai
38. Aquarion Logos  
39. Teekyuu 5 
40. Bikini Warriors
41. Chaos Dragon: Sekiryuu Seneki
42. Miss Monochrome: The Animation 2 
43. Venus Project: Climax
44. Million Doll 

Well, not saying the anime is any better than average, but it did develop the main character and hint what the plot is going for; did it need all 6 episodes to accomplish it? No, but many other Key works waited ages before stopping beating around the bushes, wasn't everyone watching this already aware of it.

Eh, I'm fine with what Charlotte's doing. The only time I care about an anime taking time to pick up is when it has nothing of value to appreciate in the earlier episodes (like NGE and Mawaru Penguindrum). Even something as simple as a pleasing aesthetic, an indulging soundtrack, or a quirky character cast will keep me amused until it decides to do something a little more bold.

Also, Maeda Jun's storytelling is a bit of an acquired taste. Sure, there will be people out there that just fall in love with his writing format right off the bat, but I've found my experiences with his writing to be progressively enriching the more I'm exposed to it. I appreciate the affability instilled in the characters he writes, I like how Maeda makes me feel in moments of dramatic development, and I always finish his stories with a lighter heart. To me, his characters are very easy to care for, and very easy to cry for. Sometimes these qualities that make his characters affable can only be grasped once you've read enough of his writing. You would probably see what I meant if you read Hibiki no Mahou (it's a great manga).

Eh, I'm fine with what Charlotte's doing. The only time I care about an anime taking time to pick up is when it has nothing of value to appreciate in the earlier episodes (like NGE and Mawaru Penguindrum). Even something as simple as a pleasing aesthetic, an indulging soundtrack, or a quirky character cast will keep me amused until it decides to do something a little more bold.

Ara, you're not only saying that Eva and Penguindrum have bad starts, but that they don't have a sense of style? Ara, how interesting.

Eh, I guess Penguindrum did have style, but I didn't care for it that much. I guess I couldn't appreciate it because of how annoying the characters were. From what I watched before dropping, NGE visuals were kinda standard at the time. Even Rurouni Kenshin looked better, lol. But then again, the only studio I can think of that did a bang-up job with its art and animation in the 90's was Ghibli (I'm sure there are more, but I don't know).