VN Reading Club - July (Osananajimi wa Daitouryou ~ My Girlfriend is the President)

kyrt

Weekly Osadai Questions  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your favorite route?

2. 2. Did you play the fan disc?

3. 3. Did you enjoy the visual novel?

This poll is closed to new votes

So, I'm curious what other people think about Remi. I wanted to like her based on my first impressions (small, cute, useless girls are, well, cute), but as I was playing through Puchin's route, her voice and mannerisms just started to get more and more on my nerves. The volume issue alluded to earlier (by Zeno, I think?) definitely didn't help. Now I just kind of sigh every time I see her show up. Honestly, if her voice had been a little bit quieter, I probably would've continued to think she was at least a little cute, instead of being just annoying.

Same impression here. I just usually think of her as the misunderstood character out of the bunch. If you think about the reasons why she's doing whatever she is, she comes off as a character to be pitied because of the circumstances that brought upon her current situation. Though I do agree that her voice is pretty annoying, considering how loud it is.

In the end, we can always brush her off as that character that goes 'MOKYUUUUUUUUUUUUU DESU DESU'.

Wrapped up Ran's route tonight (part 3 was short).

It was great to see the Panda take a leading role. Psion-G is best panda in any VN I've yet played, hands down.

Also, the stupidity level in Ran part 3 was really high, which I appreciated. The epilogue, in particular, was magnificent. Become a space detective? Sure, why not?

With how slow I'm progressing I might as well go Ell route first instead of my usual poster heroine first

Story wise I'm just a little past the first girl to kiss what's his face protagonist so he can one shot the panda

Yup. Slow af

I know how you feel, I've only just started getting into it. I'm also starting with Ell's route so at least you've got someone to talk to.

Yukino Part 2 done. Closing in on wrapping this up...

The idea of the President doing an idol concert had me laughing hysterically, all the more so since it was in the middle of the Presidential Comiket.

In a lot of ways, the stupidity level seemed to be at an all-time high in this last section, which is still ok with me. By now I'm looking forward to reading something serious after I'm done with this VN, but this has still been a pretty entertaining read; I definitely don't regret my vote.

Done! And it's only August 1st.

Overall thoughts:

My expectations were low on all fronts except for sheer goofiness. Given that, OsaDai delivered on expectations, and rarely even exceeded them. I thought Ell's route was rather well-executed; it ended up being my favorite. I know I have a soft spot for the robot girl trope, and at first I was unhappy that she wasn't robotic enough, but I felt like on her route that angle was a bit more pronounced, and it all came together a little bit better. Overall, the comedy had me literally laughing out loud quite frequently. Saionji was the surprise star of many of my favorite comedy scenes, including an amazing one-liner near the end of Ell's route that's lurking on a signature around the forums.

Brief spoilerish thought on Ell's route:

They set up a great bittersweet ending, but then quickly resolved it with a simple happy ending. I wasn't surprised at the resolution (it just isn't that kind of game), but I did briefly think that there was a lot of untapped potential for real drama there.

In the words of Zouma-sensei JESUS!!!!

Like, Fred, I just finished it myself. My last route was Yukari.... wait wrong genre of games. Yoshino! ... no still wrong, she wasn't as cute... Yuuko.... wait...  the game wasn't as depressing.... Yumiko?!... no... I think I made that mistake before..... Oh yeah... Obama.... AKA Ohama

The game, while funny, had its fair share of issues. I personally really enjoyed the common route. If the game was as good and funny as the common route, I think this would have been an amazing game. However, almost every route disappointed me. From my perspective, the game was meant to be a silly parody game to poke at whatever they could. However, I feel like once you got on a girls route, they tried to make it a bit deeper and that just didn't work out.  Music was pretty meh. The girls themselves I liked. I actually was hoping for a Qoo and maybe a Kuon route. 

Overall, I did vote for it as I bought it a while back. Glad I got an opportunity to knock it off my list.

The girls themselves I liked. I actually was hoping for a Qoo and maybe a Kuon route.

By the time I was done playing, I was pretty sad about the lack of a Qoo route, mostly on the basis of personality (though she's plenty cute too). Competence, responsibility, and a touch of sarcasm is pretty much exactly the right combination to grab my interest.