VN Reading Club - July (Osananajimi wa Daitouryou ~ My Girlfriend is the President)

kyrt

Weekly Osadai Questions  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your favorite route?

2. 2. Did you play the fan disc?

3. 3. Did you enjoy the visual novel?

This poll is closed to new votes

Speaking of fluff, the beginning of Ran's Finale was so syrupy fluff that I got the wrong kind of diabetes. Not nice kind you get from watching cute things.

Osadai partly bores me to death with the mindless romcom stuff, and partly entertains me with the ridiculous jokes and references.

Reading is pretty much only possible in small bursts. I don't know how many routes I can last.

Does anyone know who exactly did the translation?  I was wondering because I keep seeing bits of Japanese in Puchin's route.  Nothing really bad, but it doesn't exactly look like a high-quality professional translation.  It would make a lot of sense if it was one of the translator's earlier projects.

I think Xeno is referring to the actual Japanese characters that appeared once or twice in Puchin's route. It was pretty weird. There are a moderate number of grammatical and spelling mistakes as well. But, to be honest, the overall quality seems about average for an English commercial release. It seems very comparable to what I recall from Yume Miru Kusuri or Princess Evangile, noticeably lower quality than a top-tier fan translation like Rewrite, and light-years beyond a shit-tier translation like MoeNovel's butchering of KonoSora.

Edit: And regarding ef, I suspect it didn't garner a lot of votes because it had a pretty popular anime. That's certainly why I didn't vote for it; I've already seen a lot of the story.

I think Xeno is referring to the actual Japanese characters that appeared once or twice in Puchin's route. It was pretty weird. There are a moderate number of grammatical and spelling mistakes as well. But, to be honest, the overall quality seems about average for an English commercial release. It seems very comparable to what I recall from Yume Miru Kusuri or Princess Evangile, noticeably lower quality than a top-tier fan translation like Rewrite, and light-years beyond a shit-tier translation like MoeNovel's butchering of KonoSora.

Edit: And regarding ef, I suspect it didn't garner a lot of votes because it had a pretty popular anime. That's certainly why I didn't vote for it; I've already seen a lot of the story.

Ran's route seemed to have a typo here or there but Puchin's really needed to be QCed. A few lines of hiragana instead of being translated and plenty of typos. At one point I found this one. They didn't even reference the correct character.

p5bkcT8.jpg

Finally finished my first route - Ell one. Well, it was quite terrible. Started from crappy absurd comedy and when I thought I could somehow live with that route transformed into meh romance, and when I thought reading it is bearable enough route transformed again into terrible drama with garbage happy ending. And I even liked Ell (at least at the beginning) . Who knows, could be that only that one route is so bad, and the rest have some good points, but I'm not sure I want check.

And yes, from time to time there was a good joke or funny reference, and I still like Qoo, but it's not enough to call this VN anything more than 'readible'.

Finished Puchin's route.

Ayyyy. I'm so sorry Yukino, but it's now Ran > Ell > Puchin > Yukino for me.

Though there's still no reason to hate Yukino.

Started Ran's route, since that's the next choice available after Puchin.

This might be considered a spoiler, so I'll hide it.

RANNEECHAN IS GREAT

Finished Ran part 2, on to the finale.

I love the idea that Junichiro is unable to see through Kuon's ridiculously obvious disguise because she's wearing breast pads, and all he does is stare at women's breasts. I was particularly pleased with myself for realizing that was going to be the explanation before they even started hinting at it. Apparently I'm starting to think the same way as these writers. That's probably not a good thing.

Finished Ran's route.

Man, I really do love this route. It's a very fun one.

It just reinforces my opinion that Ran is indeed best girl.

Started Ell's route as well. At Part 2 at the moment.

I love the idea that Junichiro is unable to see through Kuon's ridiculously obvious disguise because she's wearing breast pads, and all he does is stare at women's breasts. I was particularly pleased with myself for realizing that was going to be the explanation before they even started hinting at it. Apparently I'm starting to think the same way as these writers. That's probably not a good thing.

Still in Puchin's route.  The h-scene gauntlet sapped my will to read, so I mostly just got through them bit by bit.  I'm currently enjoying Remi attempting to rupture my eardrums with her disturbingly loud lines.

I've decided that I'm going to go Puchin -> Ran -> Ell -> Yukino.  Not the most original of route orders, since that's what most people here seem to be doing, but oh well.

Finally managed to willpower myself into reading this. Just passed the Round 1 debate b/w Yukino & Puchin, so yeah not too far.

Heroine first impressions: Ell > Ran > Puchin > Yukino

Ell is too cute, Ran is too hawt, Puchin has good dynamics, but Yukino....idk. I usually have a thing for poster heroines and/or childhood friend heroines, but right now she's just so... meh.

Junichiro is a fun protag. I spent the past couple weeks on the To LOVE-Ru series so yeah it's nice to have an openly perverted guy this time. I laughed way more than I should've @ James Hondo btw  :sleep:

~~

Route wise I'm thinking Yukino -> Ell -> Puchin -> Ran*

*just realized, I tend to always save the older heroines for last for some reason. Kono Sora's Amane, Grisaia's Amane, P. Evangile's Ayaka...

Holy shit.

Eclipsed is actually reading it.

Yeah, you know you're back in the VN reading business (for now) when during a long day of work you're just like, "I just wanna go home so I can read some more My GF's a President" :makina:

~~

How long is the common route and individual routes you guys would say?

Finally finished Puchin's route.  It was slightly better than I was expecting it to be at the end, although I was a little disappointed when

Remi kidnapped Pucchin and she did absolutely nothing to resist. What happened to being an 8th degree black belt at judo?

I expected silliness and meh writing, so the bit of semi-seriousness right before the credits kinda caught me by surprise.

On to Ran's route!