VN Reading Club - July (Osananajimi wa Daitouryou ~ My Girlfriend is the President)

kyrt

Weekly Osadai Questions  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your favorite route?

2. 2. Did you play the fan disc?

3. 3. Did you enjoy the visual novel?

This poll is closed to new votes

Voting has ended (Weekly poll question has begun). There will be a new poll question each week for the duration of our time with this title.

Well June has ended and was met with a good turn out and while people had mixed views on the visual novel that's to be expected when we have multiple people that all like different types of things.  Last month was genre based around romance and we decided to do something a bit different and instead of picking a genre we went with a type of heroine; Osananajimi Heroine. 

An osananajimi in the context of a visual novel is the idea that one of the heroines in the novel is a childhood friend of the main protagonist. It is commonly used in romantic anime and can include a friend or playmate from childhood that may share a special and/or intimate understanding that according to some can only come from having known each other from a young age. While many will properly call out on the fact that this is just another version of the romance genre I figured I'd continue the summer of love'n regardless and remind people that each of these titles is vastly different but hold key the idea of a strong childhood friend route. While voting on these titles I would implore that you vote on a title based on the childhood friend character/route you enjoy the most or would like to experience. We've likely all had friends in our childhood perhaps one of them was a first love or someone you promised something to...sometimes though even if you forget they don't although that may not always be the best of things.

Discussion will begin after the first week (not including this week of voting) and you may begin talking about your first impressions at that time. Always remember to use spoiler tags and the final discussions will, like in previous months, be the last week of the month. I believe a poll for best route was done the last week of the month as well and I like the idea and will try to remember to do the same . 

The 5 visual novels soon to be presented are very different from one another and a mix of multiple genres. They were prepared by, Nimbus, Kosakifag, Kurisu-chan, Kaguya, and myself. So without anymore rambling here's this month's theme and the 5 visual novels to choose from.

OSANANAJIMI HEROINE a.k.a The Childhood Friend

Participants

UtCCJGy.jpg

Ef ~ A Fairy Tale of the Two. 

S6qiPlY.jpg

Cross+Channel

v7beiQQ.jpg

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo

6elkEss.jpg

Kanon

and the poll is now up for those interested in voting. Please only vote if you plan to participate.

If your favorite osananajimi heroine's visual novel did not make it you may see it still in the future under a different month so fear not.

Cross Channel is my suggestion here. I'll put this under spoilers, but it's the first thing you learn in the VN, so really, it doesn't actually make a difference. For those who don't want spoilers, I'll just say the premise of the VN is much more interesting than the other suggestions (Sharin aside, but everyone read that already :wafuu: )

The VN is set in a time-looping week where the main characters are isolated in the world and everyone else suddenly disappeared. They're all from a school for people who can't adapt well to society (AKA, are batshit crazy). You follow the story of Taichi, a

specially broken person who is desperately trying to become a normal human being while trying to find out what the hell happened to the rest of the world.

Well, I've been meaning to read every vn on that list so I guess I can join this month. I already saw the Kanon anime and Ef ~ Memories, so preferably one of those won't win but even if they do, it'd be good to see how the vn differs from the anime. I played like 2 hours of Grillfriend is the president when that was first released and it was decent, I just kinda forgot about it. Sharin and Cross+Channel are both "top-tier" vns that I still need to read so I'll be rooting for one of those to win. Voted for Sharin.

Uguu~

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo: A visual novel that everyone either has read or needs to read at some point in their life. It's one of the more known visual novels and is pretty long especially if you add into account that it has a fan disc.

Ef ~ A Fairy Tale of the Two: Very artsy with multiple protagonists. It's been released as two separate games first and second tale but really needs both to be fully experienced. Has been licensed by Mangagamer.

Osananajimi wa Daitouryou: My Girlfriend is the President - A very chill much more comedic and satiric visual novel with some very out there scenarios, the downsides are a less serious plot and quite a bit more ero content than some of the other titles (if I remember correctly). It also has a fan disc. Has been licensed by JAST USA.

Kanon - Is not exactly the most artistically attune of these titles it's typical Key flare but a bit dated from their more recent works. What it lacks in visual appeal it more than makes up in everything else. This is also the only game of the 5 listed that has two different versions (an 18+ and an all ages version of which you can begin the game and pick what one you want to play).

Cross+Channel: Definitely more than meets the eye (Kaguya did a good job introducing the premise) just be aware that the translation is a bit grammatically challenged in places.