The otaku Western world through starlessn1ght's perspective

starlessn1ght

Who am I?

I think it's time to reveal my identity. Why am I here and stuff... I'm a kind of nomad. And a "newbie" also. Compared to most people, I'm not old in the otaku fandom. I've started getting into it a year and a half ago. I wasn't guided my recommendations, or anything. I just had some kind of "prejudice" towards anime and I wanted to know more about it. So I picked my first anime, that was currently airing, which was Nagi no Asukara.

My purpose is to have some decent knowledge and experience in various storytelling "long" medias, since I prefer long stories and find them easier to immerse myself and be attached to them. Back then, I had no knowledge about Eastern storytelling media, so my perspective was all "Western". This is why I had some difficulties adapting to the otaku world.

Adapting to the new world

As far as I know, "forums" are mostly something related to the otaku fanbase, so Western stories forums aren't really "outstanding". So my contact to the Western community was through social networks, specially tumblr, and also through RL people.

The Western approach to fiction was mostly "fangirling" and "fanboying", rather than "critical". So I didn't really pay attention to the stories' flaws and what could be improved, but what was 'cool' and what characters I liked and such. Then, when I joined the otaku world, I still viewed anime through that perspective.

But one thing I like to do is 'searching'. I am not someone who watches tons of anime, and marathoning them to 'get into' anime more. My anime list is humble, it has only seven animes, not counting sequels, side stories, and etc. But I can tell the name of a lot of animes and what they are about, even the whole story sometimes. I don't go discussing those because I didn't watch them. This just serves to expand my knowledge of his this world works.

My first contact to VNs was through a shoujo dating sim name "Amour Sucre" some girls played in my school. I found the concept interesting and I wondered if there was something like that with girls. I ignored it. But then I was searching a trope in TV tropes and I found a work called "If My Heart Had Wings", it was a 'visual novel'. I kind of liked how it looked and then I downloaded it. Then I started ctrling everything making some choices to see how was it like. I found it damn long but I couldn't be more curious about the media. I started searching for more and more VNs, until I found Fuwanovel. I searched for a VN for me to really play and I found Rewrite. Downloaded the torrent (when it existed) and started playing it. I didn't understand what was a route until I played Lucia's route (my first). And damn, my first route was incredible! The best route I've played yet! After Rewrite, I played IMHHW (for real) and LB!

Back to the main topic: I took interest in "reviews" and I like how they were made after I joined the otaku world. I thought critique was just for critics before, but I find them specially "crucial", because they can tell what the fans want, what they liked and what they disliked about certain work. It's also good to explain why you liked something and discuss with others about it.

My tastes for anime/manga/LN/VN

I look for different things in those different medias. But there are some stuff I always dislike.

In anime, I look mostly for good characters that I can attach myself too and also good soundtrack. The story has to have moments with big emotional impact on me. Notable examples: Sword Art Online and Non Non Biyori.

In manga, I look mostly for a good story, something engaging that the more I read the more I want to read. Notable examples: Iris Zero and Masamune-kun no Revenge.

In LN, good character dynamics so the story won't be boring in the beginning, that is generally lighter. And also a good protagonist, which I can relate to. Notable examples: Oregairu and Eromanga Sensei.

In VN, "impactful stories". Yeah, I've seen the potential VNs have as a medium and I expect remarkable moments as well as an engaging story that isn't boring to read. Notable examples: Rewrite and Little Busters!

As many of you must know, I dislike comedy. I do think it's a waste of time, and even if it makes me laugh I still think it's boring. I'm much more into drama. To be fair, the way anime does drama was something new to me and I liked it. Actually, I prefer the drama done in the anime-way than in the Western-way. I also dislike ecchi, it's also a waste of time imo. Back in my first anime stages, I thought harem was super cool, looking at the concept. It looked like a love triangle, except bigger. But after time passed and I read other people's opinions, I don't really like it anymore...

I like moe, though

Fuwanovel

When I started participating on Fuwa forums, I was rather surprised. First, because of the Coliseum of Chatter. It was full of silly things, and you could post silly pics and say silly stuff. I found it strange, but eventually came to like it.

Also, because of the way people treat ecchi, moe and even hentai here. I thought Westerners almost always looked down on those things. I also thought almost no one was interested in nukiges, and almost everyone skipped H-scenes, and almost everyone disliked lolis. But I was wrong. Fuwa showed me that. Not saying I agree with most fuwans, but at least here I can share my love for moe and cute girls.

The end

This is it. I just hope you know me a bit better after reading this. 

Here's a pic of Lucia:

Konohana.Lucia.full.635458.jpg

The Western approach to fiction was mostly "fangirling" and "fanboying", rather than "critical". 

That's not surprising given that

my contact to the Western community was through social networks, specially tumblr

But it's far from the truth, you just looked in the wrong places. There's always a place for critical analysis of any medium. Tumblr is just not one of those places.

That's not surprising given that

But it's far from the truth, you just looked in the wrong places. There's always a place for critical analysis of any medium. Tumblr is just not one of those places.

As I said, those places weren't really 'outstanding'. I just found critical views through employed critics or some bloggers (who still had a lot of 'fangirling' mixed in)

Woah! Starlessn1ght, are you actually making a serious post! Then I shall respect your seriousness with my usual seriousness.

I'm glad you find the western otaku community intellectually stimulating. I was first attracted to Fuwanovel for that same appeal, it was a place I could talk about and analyze the VNs I loved; as well as read other peoples thoughtful comments on their favorite VNs.

Also, because of the way people treat ecchi, moe and even hentai here. I thought Westerners almost always looked down on those things. I also thought almost no one was interested in nukiges, and almost everyone skipped H-scenes, and almost everyone disliked lolis. But I was wrong. Fuwa showed me that. Not saying I agree with most fuwans, but at least here I can share my love for moe and cute girls.

Sadly most western otaku do look down on nukiges and lolis, Fuwanovel is just a rare place that is relatively accepting of those things. Most people involved in the western otaku community are generally anime and manga fans (who usually haven't read VNs), and plenty of them look down on nukiges and lolicons. 

But that's what I love about Fuwanovel, it is a very open minded place. You can have controversial views and interests, and people won't shame you for it.