Little Busters Inconsistencies [Spoilers]

Nosebleed

Don't continue reading if you don't want spoilers about Little Busters EX or the original Little Busters.

So I just finished reading Sasami's route in Little Busters EX and this made me bring up a question I didn't ponder before.

Do the characters in Little Busters actually ever date? Does all the trouble they go through in the individual routes amount to anything in the real world?

We all know that everything that happens in LB happens in an alternative world, but I noticed that, in none of the routes does the game address what happens after the Refrain incident. We never know how the characters are doing in terms of relationships.

That was until I read Sasami's route which is set after they recovered from the bus incident, Rikki even mentions the incident during the route.

But during this time, Rikki is not dating anyone which means that Rikki and Rin never dated in the first place does it not? Otherwise he's just cheating on her, but I don't think that's plausible.

Not only that, but Rikki ends up dating Sasami while he's trapped in her world, yet when he comes back, the story never really addresses if they remember the events or not and we're not sure if they're dating, even though they seem to hint that they do while they're burying the cat.

Does this mean Sasami is the true route? Teeku

Joking aside, this makes me wonder if all the routes happen in their own worlds, do the relationships never transpose into the real world?

During Sasami's route, Rikki talks about how they were trapped in an alternative world after the bus incident, clearly remembering it, so it should be feasible that he remembers his relationship with Rin, yet he's going to end up dating Sasami.

Though one can theorize that this only happens when they're trapped in an alternative world and they don't remember it when they're in the real world, but during the Refrain route they seem to recall the things that happened back in the alternative world when they're back.

I think that the biggest problem comes mostly from the fact that the story is so incredibly vague when they return to the real world that we're basically left with a huge gaping plot hole that our imagination is supposed to fill in.

What do you think?

I think Key just doesn't know how to write a story. :Kappa:

Never actually play the EX version but i did finish the original so i'll put my thought here thought it's been a while so my memory might be a bit blurry,

Regarding the question 'Do the characters in Little Busters actually ever date?', i don't think they do actually, atleast not in the real world after Refrain maybe except best girl Kurugaya :makina:

As to why it's mostly because everytime Rikki enter a new route, after finishing a new one, his memories about the event is basically reset to zero, the only thing he keep is his reslove (or something) that would enable him withstand the reality that happen iin real world i.e the bus crash.

This can be seen by Rikki's and RIn's (for some reason) base stat that steadily growing higher and higher, eventually reaching the lolKey Magic that somehow enable him to remove his narcolepsy (Yeah don't ask me how he can do it :vinty: )

And for the 'Does all the trouble they go through in the individual routes amount to anything in the real world?' I have to say yes, yes it does.

Beside the things that i mention earlier (Preparing Rikki and RIn), it also somehow serve as an 'closure' or 'treatment' for each Heroine's trouble, like Komari(?) dead brother, and everyone else problem that i forgot :wafuu: .

The Reason why it's said that Rikki and Kurugaya can't be together is that Kurugaya's problem, which is loneliness, would eventually able to recover by spending time with Little Buster. So Rikki's involvement in her route is unnecessary, which resulted in that ultra-sad first ending for both of them :amane: .

and another thing is that in that ending we see Kurugaya playing Piano looking at the window rememberinig someone (Rikki) even when she hasn't meet him yet, a memory that would resurfaces after the 'Refrain' event, culmulating in that super-greates-true-end that is Kurugaya's second ending, in which she confess to Rikki in the empty classroom with the sundown as their setting, just like how Kurugaya said she will do if she somehow manage to remember the event that happen in her route and first ending :sachi:

As to Rikki and Rin relationship, i got to agree that it's ambigious and not stated, which cleary mean they are not dating.

TL;DR: Rikki and Kurugaya dating is the true end :makina:

For EX, i will refrain from commenting because i haven't read it yet~

This is why I brought up the EX route, because it goes the same way Kurugaya's route goes except in Sasami's route, Rikki remembers the bus incident and even the fact that he was trapped in another world before, he even contacts Kyousuke who's in the outside world, which is fairly inconsistent with the original routes where Rikki has no idea he's trapped.

When he comes back along with Sasami, he still remembers some of the things that happened in there, including the fact that Sasami had a black cat and he even talks about how the cat felt (which was something shown to Rikki during the route), but Sasami doesn't really expand on anything so we never know if she remembers liking Rikki or if they're dating.

I don't know what's the deal with Kurugaya's route, it could also just be a "world within a world within a world" type of thing :P

Though I guess you can only get the true Kurugaya ending after Refrain so you could consider her ending plausible in comparison to others.

So I guess no one really does date which is kind of sad after all the things the game puts you through.

The thing is, Kurugaya might have been shown on screen, but the other routes like Kud and Haruka could also have had similar endings, we were just never shown said endings on screen.

Kud's route in particular really made use of Rikki and Kud dating to give you the feels, I find it hard to believe that was for naught :P

I assume every route happens, but dreamworld resets itself and everyone forgets afterwards. The only thing that remains at the very end, are everyone's personal issues solved (Haruka gets along with her sister now, Komari is over her dead brother, Mio accepted her other half and Kud... won't fly into anymore warzones...?).

My other assumption, is that Riki only remembers Refrain 1.1, without rin_kiss_CG.jpg. Since Refrain wasn't part of Rin's route as much as it was another (corrupted) dreamworld reset, they never actually dated in that sequence.

*I guess. It's not like I'm able to read EX before 2087.  :sachi: