Visual Novels, do you play or do you read them?

kooolm

A friend of mine is constantly nagging me when I say "I'm currently playing *VN-title-here*. He says something like "you don't play them, you read them". Not that I thoroughly agree, but I noticed saying "read" myself after a while when talking about VNs. What is your opinion on this subject?

Well , since you would generally use "play" for games and given that a visual novel has all the necesarry elements to call it a game, I guess you could use play . It's not a book , since it has visuals and interactivity. It's not a movie since it has text and , again, there's always player interaction , even if limited. Maybe one could use a hybrid term such as readlay  :Kappa: .

I used read for a long time so I could convince myself that reading VNs wasn't breaking my attempt to quit video games (aside from VNs) for good. Now I don't care. Though I think the proper term for what people do to nukige might be a bit different. Somewhere between 'watch' and... you know what, let's not go there.

It depends if there are gameplay elements. Even something simple like 'Rewrite's' interactive map sections is definitely enough to constitute the use of "playing" (at least for those isolated sections). But take, say, Hoshimemo, with nothing like that at all, and there's really nothing to "play"; so it would be more accurate to say "reading". After all, you don't "play" a choose-your-own-adventure novel.

I personally don't think about which to use regularly. Like most of the rest here, I use the two interchangeably; but it's an interesting topic of discussion.