Muv Luv: A Pretty Sweet Visual Novel Series Kickstarter [MILLION DOLLAR BABY]

Down

1 minute ago, Mkilbride said:

The translation never left me wondering. Infact, the translation comparison above makes the  fan one look better!

It doesn't. The fan translation above shows the translator is deficient in English, and if you're deficient in the target language you're not worth much as a translator.

Degica's translation is better simply by being as or more accurate, while conveying a better understanding of English.

2 minutes ago, Mkilbride said:

In Japanese, they say names when referring to a person, so it makes far more sense that he says ""They're yours. They're Sumika's!!"

And in English we don't do that in normal conversation. The tools of the Japanese language do not transfer over to English, and so the effects the author was going for will be lost. If you stick to the way 'Japan does things', you make the author sound like a high school student, which is what he sounds like in the above.

Just now, Mkilbride said:

The character he is writing for IS a high school student.

Author's imitate the way people talk. Young adult fiction imitates the way young adults speak without replicating the way young adults speak, because the results would be utterly tragic. And they definitely don't write like a young adult.

I should also point out that in almost every line Decay posted, Degica makes things a touch more specific. Moved -> squeezed, attack brain -> memory loss, beyond control -> reflex. And of course, the boob line.

Different things are implied in Japanese compared with English, and English is probably a lot more specific in general. What an author implies and what they don’t is incredibly important. You have to sort that out or your translation reads God damn unnaturally, like in the fan-TL above.

5 hours ago, Rooke said:

I should also point out that in almost every line Decay posted, Degica makes things a touch more specific. Moved -> squeezed, attack brain -> memory loss, beyond control -> reflex. And of course, the boob line.

Different things are implied in Japanese compared with English, and English is probably a lot more specific in general. What an author implies and what they don’t is incredibly important. You have to sort that out or your translation reads God damn unnaturally, like in the fan-TL above.

This.  Disambiguating and adding precision is absolutely necessary when translating Japanese to English.

I didn't tend to note issues like this in my coverage of the Seinarukana TL, but Decay is absolutely right that the new script in that scene reads much more fluidly.  I don't know whether to praise the translator or the editor, but they did a fantastic job polishing it up.  The earlier script sample demonstrates why I [used to] find reading moege in English such a chore.  The dialogue is just so stilted and awkward.

10 hours ago, Dergonu said:

Me too... I'm personally waiting for it to come out before I buy this. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Oh man, can't you really resist the urge to fap to literally 2 cg for character ?

Just now, Movr said:

Oh man, can't you really resist the urge to fap to literally 2 cg for character ?

Heh, that is one way to word it I guess.

I personally just don't like games with censored / cut content, no matter how insignificant the actual cuts are. It's more of a principle really.

I dunno Fuwa's stance on this, but people are selling their Kickstarter keys on eBay for 20$ - a significant, 15$ difference over Steam's. Seems alot of people bought the PS Vita version and it came with a Steam key they didn't want, hence this is happening:

A real steal @ 20$, I mean Muv Luv + Unlimited are selling for only 35$, while Key tried to go Clannad  for 50$, abit insulting on keys part...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122031118254?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

(Steam Gift)

Or

General search, lotta keys here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC2.A0.H0.XMuv+Luv+Steam.TRS0&_nkw=Muv+Luv+Steam&_sacat=0

I tried to Best Offer the guy down, but biggest he'll take is 20$ flat, taking off 80 cents...meh. It's something.  There's nothing illegal about this by the way.  But I know that maybe Fuwa thinks it's shady, so if it is, just tell me and I'll remove the link / not mention it again.  As for how legit the seller is, I haven't bought Muv Luv from them, but I have bought another game before and got it pretty quick and had zero issues. It's not like G2A or Kinguin.

I dunno about them, could be bought keys from people who wanted to sell their Steam keys fast. (Surprisingly a lot of these, on the Steam forums, there are many topics of people trying to offload the keys saying they only backed for the Vita version.) 

Though there are other actual keys available, with my secondary link, from non "Store" eBay sellers.  Those should be legit, and a great price.

2 hours ago, MFrost said:

*sigh* I did say I was selling everything of mine from this Kickstarter, y'know. Just need to wait until the physical copy and things are shipped to me though.

Just shoot me a PM, can give you my eBay feedback also.

Depends, will you beat this guy I am trying to bargin with on eBay? He wants 17$ USD, trying to get it to 15. :P

________

More stuff has been removed. I'm over on Steam forums, and people are doing side-by-side comparisons. In the new version, they've a ton of animations  / images, besides the H ones.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/449830/discussions/0/359543542245123458/

The user admits to being mistaken, after he looked at them side by side, but he kept comparing and found there are actually alot of effects missing.

Agreed with the assessment that that passage has noticeably improved vs. the original, although:

19 hours ago, Rooke said:

Degica gets bonus points for their use of 'psych', btw :3

"Psych" kinda sounds like an old person trying to remember what young people sound like to me :P

19 hours ago, Rooke said:

Also, nothing important is cropped out of that shot.

But you can't even tell that one girl is drooling anymore. This is vital information.

7 hours ago, Mkilbride said:

Dunno how it's misleading, but this guy hasn't turned down my latest offer yet, but I'll be interested if he does.

just let me know whenever then.
Same goes to anyone browsing this if they want to play Muv Luv on Steam and want a key for it, Mine's up for the buying.

Steam reviews. A lot of them say: Extra is 'meh', unlimited is not much better, but PHWOAAAAAH was Alternative good. Now looking back on Extra, through nostalgia glasses and the need to justify playing it, I'll give it a 10/10 too.

Here's the thing, if book 3 of a series is fan-fricken-tastic, yet the first book sucked, don't review the first book saying 'it's awesome because it's necessary for book 3'. That's not a review, psychologists call that 'rationalisation'. 

6 minutes ago, Rooke said:

Steam reviews. A lot of them say: Extra is 'meh', unlimited is not much better, but PHWOAAAAAH was Alternative good. Now looking back on Extra, through nostalgia glasses and the need to justify playing it, I'll give it a 10/10 too.

Here's the thing, if book 3 of a series is fan-fricken-tastic, yet the first book sucked, don't review the first book saying 'it's awesome because it's necessary for book 3'. That's not a review, psychologists call that 'rationalisation'. 

Then what if Book 3 was fantastic because of Book 1 and 2?

16 minutes ago, Tiagofvarela said:

Then what if Book 3 was fantastic because of Book 1 and 2?

Ooooh, required dullness – absolutely the worst kind :P 

When people review the different parts of video games, whether they be ‘The Banner Saga’ or the many Telltale games, they don’t go back after it’s finished and score the 1st part a ‘10’ because it was ‘setting up’ the fantastic final part. Authors are sorta expected to make their ‘setting up’ parts a little engaging by themselves.

Now if you find Muv-Luv Extra good, that’s fine. But just because the last part needs the first part for maximum payoff doesn’t (by itself) mean the first part is any good.

Extra: 6.5/10
Unlimited: 8/10
Alternative (not out yet): 10/10

However, after reading Alternative I felt like giving both Extra and Unlimited a 10/10 because of how ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ well they did at setting up the story and attaching you to the characters.

See this? That's not how the review process works xD

Just now, Rooke said:

Ooooh, required dullness – absolutely the worst kind :P 

When people review the different parts of video games, whether they be ‘The Banner Saga’ or the many Telltale games, they don’t go back after it’s finished and score the 1st part a ‘10’ because it was ‘setting up’ the fantastic final part. Authors are sorta expected to make their ‘setting up’ parts a little engaging by themselves.

Now if you find Muv-Luv Extra good, that’s fine. But just because the last part needs the first part for maximum payoff doesn’t (by itself) mean the first part is any good.

See this? That's not how the review process works xD

Yeah, I already knew this would be your answer. Many people hold this viewpoint, including me. I've no time to waste with dullness in order to "eventually" reach alleged greatness.

Though personally I liked them both back when I read them. I'd sure I'd hate the translation now, though.