Muv Luv: A Pretty Sweet Visual Novel Series Kickstarter [MILLION DOLLAR BABY]

Down

7 hours ago, sanahtlig said:

I read the latest backer update and I'm concerned.  This was not written by a native English speaker.  If the new content not already translated by Amaterasu ends up like this, we're going to have issues.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series/posts/1475550?ref=backer_project_update

Degica had this message for you: @sanahtig: The translation team is not the one writing these updates. The Muv-Luv Kickstarter team is. Please do not worry! And yes we have native english speakers on the team.

21 minutes ago, kyrt said:

Degica had this message for you: @sanahtig: The translation team is not the one writing these updates. The Muv-Luv Kickstarter team is. Please do not worry! And yes we have native english speakers on the team.

Alright, that dispels my concerns.  I get antsy when companies like Debonosu think it's fine to machine translate marketing materials and release VNs on Steam with no editing at all, and I'm hyper-alert for warning signs that new entrants to the VN market might do something similar.

Hello, 

Hirei from Degica just popping by on the thread here. Funny that you should mention that our Kickstarter updates are lacking in editing skills... Just wanted to reassure you all again that we do have native English speakers on the team, like myself. The translation team has not been the one doing all the updates on the Kickstarter page as they are busy translating Muv-Luv itself. Helrouis is indeed from the Philippines, however he's trying his best at English which is a secondary language. As community manager he's been responsible for a lot of communication with you all and getting your feedback to the rest of the team. Which I would hope most of you appreciate and would forgive him for minor English mistakes.

@sanahtlig If you have any issues with our editing or translations let us know. I can see that you're somewhat upset and I'd be willing to speak with you via PM or email. However, I would like to think that something as minor as this would not deter you from supporting our Kickstarter and further translation projects. 

Cheers, comrades! ;p

@HireiThe quality of the English in your community updates does not concern me--I was concerned because the signature "MuvLuv Team" could have indicated that this was the quality we could expect from the newly translated portions of the actual product.  You have assured me this isn't the case, and I'm satisfied with that.  In the future I would suggest either that official backer updates be reviewed by the entire MuvLuv team (as the signature would suggest), or emphasize that these are personal messages from a community manager and do not represent Degica as a whole nor the capability of its translation and editorial teams.  If the messages were signed "Helrois, Degica Community Manager" I wouldn't have been alarmed to begin with.  Appearances matter when you're communicating in writing and the product you're trying to sell is essentially a novel rewritten in your own words.

Hello @sanahtlig,

How do you do? Thank you for the criticism, and my apologies for unintentionally casting potential doubts to the localisation itself. However rest assured, I'm not part of the localisation team.
English education in my country isn't as up-to-date around the world, and I've been studying last year after learning about the many differences.

Believe it or not, we're on the same page when it comes to giving importance to the company's impression -- I requested the localisation department to provide liberal English translation for the Kickstarter video (as the original Prefundia version was literally a mess), and also asked Connor Krammer/AmbiguousGravity from Reddit to help edit the Kickstarter page before launch.

Admittedly I tend to get too excited when it comes to updates, but I'll make sure to triple check all contents with native staff members before publishing next time. :)
We're aware that we should be more responsible especially we raised so much money, and just like how we handle most of the campaign issues - we hear what everyone has to say and we will try to comply or do better with the best of our abilities.

Thank you for pointing this issue out, and especially for backing our campaign, we really appreciate it!

I really am impressed that Degica gives due attention to even a single person's complaints.  Keep up the good work.  I supported this project mostly as a gesture towards Age / interest in the particular title, but good PR encourages an actual fanbase that will stick with you in future endeavors. @MiKandi Japanshowed that you don't necessarily need the most acclaimed title on VNDB if you can connect with fans on a deep level and garner their support.  I'll be watching to see if Degica evolves to be a company that generates that sort of enthusiasm among VN fans, or if it contents itself with being AGE USA.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update on Kickstarter introduced the translation team, while also announcing that MLE/MLU won't be released until May, with MLE beta coming next month. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series/posts/1499145?ref=backer_project_update

Most interesting part about this in my opinion is that Koestl of Grisaia and Gahkthun fame will be doing the final edits and TLC. There are some concerns about the Alternative Projects members who are on the team. The project lead has admitted to basically doing machine translations in the past, but he's not actually doing any translating here, just coordinating. Koestl addressed some concerns about the project on Reddit here. He says that he won't have the most impactful role, but the fact that the scripts basically pass by him last gives me a lot more confidence in the project than I previously had. 

The text of that update was pretty unusual - I felt a bit like I was reading an open letter to sanahtlig. The way everybody possible specifically introduced themselves as a "native speaker" of English was a little weird. I suppose it's possible they've had other people expressing doubts about the translation quality, but at the least, I don't recall seeing anything remotely like this kind of communication from other licensed translations.

Transparency is good, though, especially in a world as small as VN translation, and I agree that I find having a name like Koestl in the project, in whatever facility, to be pretty reassuring.

Reflecting a bit on that, this probably says something about the VN English translation scene - there are actually people with a modicum of name recognition. Hopefully those people who have garnered well-deserved respect for their work, be it largely in official translations or fan translations, will be able to parlay that for both their own benefit and ours.

It looks like this translation projects are made of:
1) Poject Leader - not translating
2) Editor and only assistant translator
3) Editor, translator checker and consultant
4) Translator checker
5) Translator checker
6) Assistant editor and - finally - translator.

It looks...strange. But they're basing on ixtl translation, right?

On 5/2/2016 at 7:54 PM, Helrouis said:

Admittedly I tend to get too excited when it comes to updates, but I'll make sure to triple check all contents with native staff members before publishing next time.

I don't think it's much of a problem since you're not on the translation team. It would be a worry if you were, but that's not your job. Keep doing your thing. :)

The Quantum Suicide (current VN kickstarter) team are native English speakers and their update poster has made a few funny mistakes. No stress, I love their posts.

On 5/2/2016 at 9:43 PM, sanahtlig said:

@MiKandi Japanshowed that you don't necessarily need the most acclaimed title on VNDB if you can connect with fans on a deep level and garner their support.

Yeah, they're doing an excellent job. To be honest, I think their PR is what made me pledge in the end and not the game itself.

3 hours ago, Decay said:

Yeah, kind of. The number of staff seems extraneous. But yeah, they are basing it off of an existing translation, so the only new material that needs translation was exclusive to the PSP all ages version.

And some new bonus material as well. Which will probably be some minor character banters. Dunno why but I'm hyped as fuck for this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ah Muv Luv a once great series now ruined by the curse of all age. All Muv Luv related games released since 2012 have been unappealing to me. Maybe one year Age will return to their former glory but I doubt it, most likely a VN company that will remain dead to me.

16 minutes ago, Decay said:

They are releasing 18+ versions, dude.

I'm talking about the VNs that AGE has made(or is making) since 2012  based in the Muv Luv universe. They are all All ages Chronicles 3/4, Schwarzesmarken, and  Muv-Luv Photonmelodies♮.

To be honest I have no interest in this kickstarter. I've already read the VNs and I'm not interested in reading them again. The same happened with the 1st Grisaia. I had already read the fan patch before it was announced and saw no reason to purchase the English version. The same will happen with Sharin no Kuni. I want new VNs, not ones that have already been translated by fans. All these kickstarters feel like they're delaying new VNs that haven't been translated yet.

As someone who's never read the VNs, I went for the complete release in June. A beta is likely to have bugs, and with the amount of issues I've had with Muv Luv...

You see, it's not that I've ever purposely put off reading Muv Luv. It's that I've wasted countless hours trying to install just the first one. For whatever reason Alternative is easier? (Which I know you can't read without the others, but I've been tempted.) Hopefully Steam will make this process much easier.

3 hours ago, Codesterz said:

I'm talking about the VNs that AGE has made(or is making) since 2012  based in the Muv Luv universe. They are all All ages Chronicles 3/4, Schwarzesmarken, and  Muv-Luv Photonmelodies♮.

The only reason why chronicles 1 and 2 are 18+ is because they added shitty mini-nukiges in them (its presence made me downvote chronicles 1 from 8 to 7 on vndb), all the important stories were already all-ages.